SCG_wtornado

RTX 2070 vs RTX 2080

I need expert advice on what is the better card for gaming considering the small difference in performance

and the technology Nvidia is boasting I wonder will the developers of the games build their games to match

Nvidia's technology?

When I go to sites and check the benchmarks there is only about 10% difference in the FPS?

Up to 2K graphic settings the 2070 is suppose to run the same as the 2080 and apparently the big difference is running in 4K.

Is there other things I should know?

What about DLSS and  ray tracing will games like IL-2 convert this game to the new technology?

The 2080 is 350$ more  in price than the 2070. is it worth it.

The RTX 2080 Ti is 950$ more than the 2070

The more I check out info on the 2070 and 2080 the worse it becomes to choose.

What games will you be using the card for? What resolution? What refresh rate, and do you have gsync or freesync? Do you play in VR?

Current performance rankings are: 1080 = 2070 and 1080ti = 2080. So if you can find a 1080 cheaper than a 2070, it's a good deal, or if you can find a 1080ti cheaper than a 2080 it's also a good deal.

For IL2 in VR I would recommend the 1080, 2070 and 1080ti. For pancake mode I suspect a 1080 or 2070 are already awesome cards but I'd check with a pancake player first.

6 hours ago, SCG_wtornado said:

What about DLSS and  ray tracing will games like IL-2 convert this game to the new technology?

No, at least not soon enough for it to be relevant in this generation of cards.

6 hours ago, SCG_wtornado said:

Up to 2K graphic settings the 2070 is suppose to run the same as the 2080 and apparently the big difference is running in 4K.

If you’re hoping for 60 frames per second with Ultra Il-2 settings on a monitor at 2560x1440 or less, any card that’s a GTX 1070 or better will do. 

The stronger cards only really become relevant for higher resolutions or refresh rates.

Edited by Mitthrawnuruodo

The RX480/580/590 and GTX 1060 6GB can all run BoX at a locked 60 fps with the settings maxed at 1080p. Even 1440p is fine if you drop the AA slightly (2x maybe). A GTX 1070 or Vega 56 should work well for you I think. The higher end cards are for 4k, high refresh monitors and VR. DLSS is basically a dynamic resolution technology similar to what's built into the game. It sacrifices visual quality to keep performance high when the GPU hits its limit. Since anything above an RX480 or GTX 1060 won't get maxed out in BoX, that's not a concern and it isn't a very useful feature to begin with imho. I do not expect BoX to get ray tracing support anytime in the next several years, at which point a whole new generation of GPU's should be out. So that also isn't relevant for us.

Did anybody see this video?

Spoiler

Pretty disappointing... RTX is a total flop. No justified price hike what-so-ever. Guess I'll just drag this 2080 out for the next 4/5 years and hopefully ray tracing will be sorted out by then. I almost wish I would have went with a 1080 Ti, but the price slightly higher than a 2080 right now.

I am considering an upgrade because in Quick Mission at 4k I am occasionally getting frames in the mid 40s (I prefer 60fps all the time).

Will this do the trick:

i5-6500 3.6 Mhz Turbo -> i3-8350 4.5 Mhz Turbo overclocked (I assume I will hit this overclock on Noctua U14S air-cooler)

16GB DDR4 2166 Mhz -> 16GB DDR4 3200 Mhz

GTX 1080 -> RTX 2070

Again: I am only concerned about Quick Mission performance, any guru here can offer an insight ? (because I am on the fence right now). Thanks in advance.

2 hours ago, WheelwrightPL said:

I am considering an upgrade because in Quick Mission at 4k I am occasionally getting frames in the mid 40s (I prefer 60fps all the time).

Will this do the trick:

i5-6500 3.6 Mhz Turbo -> i3-8350 4.5 Mhz Turbo overclocked (I assume I will hit this overclock on Noctua U14S air-cooler)

GTX 1080 -> RTX 2070

Again: I am only concerned about Quick Mission performance, any guru here can offer an insight ? (because I am on the fence right now). Thanks in advance.

The CPU is an excellent choice. You'll easily reach 4.5 GHz with the i3-8350K and U14S.

Memory upgrade is nice, but it might not be strictly necessary. In Il-2 (and gaming in general), the difference between typical 2166 and 3200 kits usually isn't huge. It's possible that the money could be more useful elsewhere if you're GPU-bound at 4K. If you do end up buying RAM, pay attention to latency and not just frequency.

GTX 1080 -> RTX 2070 isn't really an upgrade. The 2070 is only ~10% faster. Either tweak your settings to get acceptable performance or get at least a 1080 Ti or 2080. 

Edited by Mitthrawnuruodo

16 hours ago, WheelwrightPL said:

Will this do the trick:

GTX 1080 -> RTX 2070

Don't do the GPU upgrade, instead consider an 8600K (or 9600K). Your limiting factor is very likely to be the CPU currently.

Thanks for the advice: I just placed an order for a new system as per above specs + GTX 1080 Ti ( if I have GPU power to spare I can turn-on extreme grass etc: ).