Jump to content
Bilbo_Baggins

LaGG-3 napalm

Recommended Posts

Hey guys, check out this late production Tbilisi LaGG-3 carrying napalm-like dispensers.

 

Does anyone here know anything about this machine? Would be a tremendously terrifying addition to the unlocks along with the 23mm we have in game. 

 

At some point it would be nice to have late production series 66 LaGG machines in game for Kuban. Apparently LaGG series 66 was actually the most prevalent VVS fighter on the Kuban front as it was manufactured close by. A very potent machine- 542kmh at sea level. 

 

RGDS

 

8d10489b87174b9455ca155dd3b3578a--napalm-wk.jpg

Edited by Bilbo_Baggins

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Image referenced for those who don't want to go to that website:

 

EDIT: OP put picture into post

Edited by [CPT]milopugdog

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

These are the "VAP" ("Vlivnoy Avia Pribor" = "Liquid aero equipment") type of chemical dispensers. Not much known about them, were used on IL-2s and SB-2s in a VAP-250 form (weighing 250 kg, containing about 175 kg of liquid each).

Edited by CrazyDuck

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Bilbo_Baggins said:

Would be a tremendously terrifying addition to the unlocks along with the 23mm we have in game. 

 

Mh I know nothing about the operationnal use of this dispenser, but I guess it was used against infantry?
And since infantry isn't modeled in game, why add this unlock which would be useless then?


 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, CrazyDuck said:

These are the "VAP" ("Vlivnoy Avia Pribor" = "Liquid aero equipment") type of chemical dispensers. Not much known about them, were used on IL-2s and SB-2s in a VAP-250 form (weighing 250 kg, containing about 175 kg of liquid each).

VAP had a mixture of granulated white phosphorus in a solution of calcium chloride

  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Committing war crimes with willy pete sounds like fun for whole family and friends! 

Edited by Cpt_Siddy
  • Like 1
  • Haha 7
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, danielprates said:

Was it supposed to catch fire like napalm,  or was it more like a toxic thing?

 

if it had phosphorous, then my guess would be it was an incendiary of sorts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, danielprates said:

Was it supposed to catch fire like napalm,  or was it more like a toxic thing?

 

White phosphorous is a very powerful incendiary agent - once the solvent it is dissolved in evaporates, it self ignites and burns fiercely, burning through or igniting any combustibles it comes in contact with. Almost impossible to extinguish via traditional methods. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, CrazyDuck said:

 

White phosphorous is a very powerful incendiary agent - once the solvent it is dissolved in evaporates, it self ignites and burns fiercely, burning through or igniting any combustibles it comes in contact with. Almost impossible to extinguish via traditional methods. 

 

Even just reading it makes me really uncomfortable.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Eicio said:

 

Even just reading it makes me really uncomfortable.

It's not that bad, get wet bandage and cover whatever part of your body got WP particles. It won't burn anymore. Go to medic station and they will pour some solution of copper salt. This will stop WP from reigniting. Then treatment is the same as for any other burns. 

 

Well it sucks if you will be covered entirely in WP but if you will be burned 100% but any other stuff it will suck as much.

Edited by InProgress

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, 77.CountZero said:

nah, one lagg we have is good enought for kuban, they better spend time making yak-9u insted as collectable 😄

 

Sounds like rubbish to me. Good enough, on what grounds? Lagg-3 series 66 was undoubtedly a good machine- 542kmh sea level performance is faster than any Yakovlev machine we currently have in-game, including the Yak1b, and basically as fast as the La5 series 8. 

Edited by Bilbo_Baggins

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

yes so its not neccesary, you have yak1b, la5, yak7b, la5fn all good for 1943 and kuban, no need for 5th airplane, but for 1944 vvs we have only la5fn :)

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, 77.CountZero said:

yes so its not neccesary, you have yak1b, la5, yak7b, la5fn all good for 1943 and kuban, no need for 5th airplane, but for 1944 vvs we have only la5fn :)

 

LaGG-3 series 66 was the most prevalent fighter on the Kuban front- how does that qualify as unnecessary?

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

and they decided it was when they made BoK, so why waist time now to make it when in my opinion late yaks would be better time spend and would probably get picked up faster then late lagg3 that is not better then yaks in kuban

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, 77.CountZero said:

and they decided it was when they made BoK, so why waist time now to make it when in my opinion late yaks would be better time spend and would probably get picked up faster then late lagg3 that is not better then yaks in kuban

 

LaGG series 66 was a good machine and surely worthy of modelling in the sim. Just look at the LaGG-3/La5 roll rate- same or better than the FW190 AKA the king of rollers. LaGG-3 series 66 speed is faster than any Yak machine we have in-game and is basically as fast as La5 series 8. 

Edited by Bilbo_Baggins

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

and i would not buy it and i spend a lot in lagg3 we have fighting 1943 airplanes over kuban and see no need for late lagg3 66 :) but on the other hand that yak-9u would be instant sell 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, InProgress said:

It's not that bad, get wet bandage and cover whatever part of your body got WP particles. It won't burn anymore. Go to medic station and they will pour some solution of copper salt. This will stop WP from reigniting. Then treatment is the same as for any other burns. 

 

Well it sucks if you will be covered entirely in WP but if you will be burned 100% but any other stuff it will suck as much.

 

It still is a pretty horrifying way to die

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Cpt_Siddy said:

Commuting war crimes with willy pete sounds like fun fore whole family and friends! 

 

Not actually a war crime: despite lots of mis-informed articles, FAE and WP have never been sanctioned under any modern article of war.

 

Though like so many anti-infantry weapons they are not nice, I agree.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, spartan85 said:

Wasn’t this also a type of smoke screening?

 

 

They were attached to IL-2s and used against tanks and convoys, among other things, for burning.  They were modelled in the original IL-2, actually.

 

 

White fosforos is very desirable for its incendiary, anti-infantry applications.  This myth of being used only for smoke or to burn equipment is a little white lie, like using .50 cal rifles only for equipment/vehicles.

Edited by 7.GShAP/Silas

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Danziger said:

How many ways to die are not horrifying?

 Some are way worse than some others.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎11‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 8:39 PM, Danziger said:

How many ways to die are not horrifying?

Never reawakening from a post coital sleep...Perfect!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We had VAP 250 canisters as a loadout on the IL2 in the original version of the sim.

 

I "shot down" a 109 on the old Kuban map once with them.  I was flying up the coast and a 109 dove down and started a head on attack on me.  I pulled up, pickled off the VAP 250s and deep fried him.  It was hilarious talking to him in chat afterwards...

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/14/2018 at 10:58 PM, 7.GShAP/Silas said:

 

 

They were attached to IL-2s and used against tanks and convoys, among other things, for burning.  They were modelled in the original IL-2, actually.

 

 

White fosforos is very desirable for its incendiary, anti-infantry applications.  This myth of being used only for smoke or to burn equipment is a little white lie, like using .50 cal rifles only for equipment/vehicles.

Yeah, I mean just thinking about it logically, if you're unloading a couple hundred rounds of .50 cal at a jeep or an MG position, there's going to be people IN that jeep that are going to have a bad time. 

 

3 hours ago, Elem said:

Never reawakening from a post coital sleep...Perfect!

Well, not horrifying for YOU per se, but horrifying for your poor partner who wakes up to you next morning, who only signed up for the horizontal mambo and now has to deal with the funereal fandango!

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No, it's an incendiary device, and for our purposes it's a pixel weapon deployed from a pixel plane, in a fake 3d pixel environment, that burns, kills, or otherwise destroys exactly no one.

 

Lighten up, it's a freaking game, and if you cannot differentiate between it and real life then it's you that has a problem, not the software.

Edited by BlitzPig_EL
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't do anything in this game that I wouldn't do in real life.

 

And Im not ignorant enough to think my actions don't affect my environment.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Nunz2 said:

I don't do anything in this game that I wouldn't do in real life.

 

 

Ahaha, I hope that's not true, we're all mass murderers by now with that logic.

 

 

Burning or shooting or bombing, it can all be equally nasty, trust me.  Drawing these false distinctions is to make "nervous mothers" at home feel better.  Don't worry so much about it, the real thing is in another galaxy far, far away from any of this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Nunz2 said:

That's chemical warfare and shoulnd't be supported.

 

No, otherwise HE and API would be chemical weapons. Possibly any weapon that used a chemical reaction.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Nunz2 said:

I don't do anything in this game that I wouldn't do in real life.

... snip ...

Interesting. Nothing I do in this game I would ever do in real life.

But, even though I know its not very logical, I wouldn't feel good dropping napalm in the game either.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh dear, it's a Virtual Sim.  I am sure the screen pixels will not mind you killing them.

 

If I had to do any of what I do in this sim in real life - I would be horrified.  Here though, it is harmless fun with maybe a few bruised ego's if one flies MP.  Can't handle it - wipe Il2 from your hard drive and any other violent game and go to your "Safe Space". 😉

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, 216th_Nocke said:

Interesting. Nothing I do in this game I would ever do in real life.

But, even though I know its not very logical, I wouldn't feel good dropping napalm in the game either.

The best thing about combat flight sims is you can be immersed and consider your feelings regarding the actions you're taking...and also do those things and be assured that you aren't killing or maiming real people.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×