19//SAG

Anyone thinks they should give us a Storch?

Just now, ST_ami7b5 said:

I´d like to buy both of them, but if I had to choose just one then I would go for FW 189.

Yeah, the Fw 189 would be a much better counterpart for the U-2 than the Storch. 

Shame the Bv 141 never saw much use... I’d have enjoyed flying one of those. 

16 hours ago, Royal_Flight said:

But there should be more non-combat aircraft in general. Balance it out a bit, give VVS/Allies a transport and Luftwaffe a recon or spotter so there’s something for each side and then there’s more to do than circle warily at 5000m waiting to shoot the wings off anyone below you.

I agree that the Allies could need a transport plane (Li-2 would make the most sense), but again, i doubt it will sell well enough and that more people would buy a Li-2 than the Ju 52. Maybe if it would be a combined Li-2/DC-3 release it would sell as good as the Ju-52, but that would also increase developement costs.

But even then, you could add planes like the Me 410, which was used in the recon role, in addition to being a fighter bomber (and of course intercepting, even though that's probably of limited importance with the current plane set). I don't think a dedicated recon and/or spotter plane like the Storch would be very useful now. It makes more sense to add multi-role planes which would appeal to a wider audience.

Edited by Matt

It's not all just about MP airquake.

I would love to fly Storch and 189 just for the pure joy of flying them, just like Po-2 I bought recently.
It's up to devs, ofc - they know after Ju-52, Po-2 sales if these planes can bring them any profit.

And some spotting or "Transport Major XY to the place XY safely"  kind of SP/MP missions could enrich our virtual flying enjoyment :) 

Edited by ST_ami7b5

I think the FW 189 makes a lot of sense as a counterpoint to the U2-VS.  Both were used for observation, and both can also be flown in a combat profile because they can carry bombs.  This means they can serve the needs/wants of both the online and offline groups equally.

The Ju52/Li2 match up is a separate subject entirely, IMHO, as they are transport aircraft and don't fly the same types of missions as the FW189 or U2-VS.  And yes I know that both had bomber variants, however, both proved to be less than acceptable in that role. Their primary use was as transports.

• Like 5

5 hours ago, Matt said:

I agree that the Allies could need a transport plane (Li-2 would make the most sense), but again, i doubt it will sell well enough and that more people would buy a Li-2 than the Ju 52. Maybe if it would be a combined Li-2/DC-3 release it would sell as good as the Ju-52, but that would also increase developement costs.

But even then, you could add planes like the Me 410, which was used in the recon role, in addition to being a fighter bomber (and of course intercepting, even though that's probably of limited importance with the current plane set). I don't think a dedicated recon and/or spotter plane like the Storch would be very useful now. It makes more sense to add multi-role planes which would appeal to a wider audience.

That’s the point I was making before, we can’t say how popular transport flying might be as there’s only a single transport choice and it’s not well-supported in MP servers or the SP career. 

It’s a tough call for the devs - if they make another 109 then some people will definitely buy it, whereas if they make a C-47/Li-2 the return is less certain.

But it’s worth doing. If they go to the effort of properly implementing transport as a gameplay option then they’ll get a better idea of how popular it is.

Right now it’s impossible to draw any firm conclusions because all we’ve got is a single aircraft with no support. 

I don’t know how the mission editor is meant to work but I’ve been led to believe it’s sophisticated enough to trigger rewards for supply drops and transport runs using the tools that are already available. So it shouldn’t even require too many changes to include a scoring system. 

18 hours ago, BlitzPig_EL said:

I think the FW 189 makes a lot of sense as a counterpoint to the U2-VS.  Both were used for observation, and both can also be flown in a combat profile because they can carry bombs.  This means they can serve the needs/wants of both the online and offline groups equally.

FW 189 or HS 126. FW 189 looks more fancy though.

I'd be perfectly happy with the 126 as well, and it would be easier to model being a single engine machine.

Sure the FW189 is a very interesting aircraft, but what I want the most is new gameplay.

With a Storch, the devs have no choice to create new gameplay because no offensive weapons.

I am so sad that the U2 brought no new gameplay, althought this is trully a fantastically well modeled. If I want use bombs, I better use a good old Il2.

I hope we will have new loadouts for U2

Edited by TG1_Nil
  • Upvote 3

I think - especially on MP servers like TAW, KOTA - where team play may be a very important factor the FW 189 would be the better choice

than a Storch. Imagine the new opportunities we would have with the FW 189 as a spotter. This plane was very agile, fast and could fly

in high altitude - perfect as a reconnaissance plane.

• Upvote 2

The Fw-189 would be my choice too. Mostly because it was an extremely versatile aircraft. For example it was not only used by recon units, but also in small numbers by night harassment units and NJG 100 used it as a nightfighter against the U-2. When reading combat reports from reconnaissance units from the battle of Kursk I was surprised to see that it not only often carried bombs on recon missions to attack targets of opportunity, but also carried out regular level bombing missions too.

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, Juri_JS said:

The Fw-189 would be my choice too. Mostly because it was an extremely versatile aircraft. For example it was not only used by recon units, but also in small numbers by night harassment units and NJG 100 used it as a nightfighter against the U-2. When reading combat reports from reconnaissance units from the battle of Kursk I was surprised to see that it not only often carried bombs on recon missions to attack targets of opportunity, but also carried out regular level bombing missions too.

The only thing that needs to be adapted for these planes, is the scoring system. It's already challenging to choose such a plane and to do some recce - most of the time alone,

no cover, deep in the enemy's territory, quite fragile with limited defensive options - but low chances of scoring. These recce missions should be awarded twofold:

- Recognition of potential targets or target areas, even better if not detected by the enemy, ergo better chance to strike with surprise.

- Depending on strike results of recognized target, recce should be awarded similar to an assisted air victory.

I think, this way such reconnaissance missions on servers like TAW, KOTA or Finish Air War would be even more challenging and of course rewarding. And I'm sure there are

some guys (including me!) willing to take the chance of doing such missions, which will mainly help the own fraction and scoring is secondary but not unimportant to them.

And this new scoring system would also be a benefit for transport task or airborne missions.

Edited by -IRRE-Therion