Algy-Lacey

Before IL-2 Pacific, IL-2 Battle of the Meditteranean?

I have always said that i'm game for whatever these devs produce because i know it will be a quality product. I really hope we see some Japanese birds next as they are my favorite but i doubt it will be PTO, i would bet Italy or another western front release but who knows. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I was flying an Emil through scattered clouds over the splendid Kuban map the other day and for a moment I imagined it was the English countryside, or western France.

It was at that moment that I realized CLOD needs to stay in its lane.

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, Yardstick said:

I'd be really interested in an Italian setting - Operation Strangle seems to tick lots of boxes.  Fantastic Corsican and Apennine scenery (the Med, coastlines, plains and high mountains).  The Luftwaffe mounting a realistic threat sporadically.  We already have much of the key plane-set.  It was largely a tactical campaign, focused on interdiction and ground attack. 

I've been reading a huge amount about the USAAF 57th FG and its role in Operation Strangle and the pioneering work it did to develop the P-47 into a ground attack aircraft.

That actually sounds rather interesting. From a marketing standpoint I'm picturing a low from shot of a P-47 razorback dripping bombs on targets on rolling dune colored mountainous regions. Give it sort of a "Saving Private Ryan" sort of feel with brighter colors. 

It could sell, and avoid direct competition with CloD. Italy is still an exotic battle region, like the Eastern Front was in the original Il-2, and, unlike the Continuation War, has a very different color palette than the existing games on the series.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, BraveSirRobin said:

Sorry, but this is gibberish.  I’ve read all the posts on this thread.  NO ONE has said that their life sucks because CloD exists. 

Also, I don’t care how much work has gone into CloD.  IL2GB is a better product.

Oh snap, you got me there. True, NO ONE has said, quote, their life literally sucks because CloD exists, unquote.  Touché!

The second remark was never the issue. But whatever. 

1 minute ago, danielprates said:

The second remark was never the issue. But whatever. 

It was for me.  There are plenty of valid reasons for hoping that CloD development ends.  But absolutely no one is complaining that it's ruining their lives.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BraveSirRobin said:

Also, I don’t care how much work has gone into CloD.

YOU DONT CARE!!! YOU DONT CARE, BRAVESIRROBIN?!!!

You don't care that the people at Team Fusion have worked their butts off since 2013 trying to perfect a game that they were very disappointed had ended. These people don't even work for a profit! They're just a bunch of people who work in their spare time. Meaning that whenever YOU have time to play IL-2 is when the people at Team Fusion have time to work on Cliffs of Dover. From 2013-2017 they were just an amateur MOD group, but after signing the agreement they became the official developers. I believe that They are better than the devs of IL-2 GB because they get their heads in the game more than 1CGS. When they announced in the November Update that the Scharnhorst, Prinz Eugen, and Admiral Scheer were going to be in patch 5.0, I was amazed as I thought before that all of the ships would be ones that operated in the Med. IL-2 GB is flawed in several ways as they charge you big bucks for things that are cheap to make like the Bf109G-6, after 4 years of development planes (German in particular) don't even have droppable fuel tanks. Following the BoB the German fighters started carrying droppable fuel tanks. In several dev pictures a Bf109E-7 is shown carrying a droppable fuel tank. TFS has addressed game issues and will resolve them soon with TF 5.0.

You make me SAD BraveSirRobin. You truly do. To begin with, saying that Cliffs of Dover needs to end is TOTALLY MEAN. You're a BULLY. I'm sorry, but that's what it has come to. IL-2 Great Battles came into existence just by shear luck. If Cliffs of Dover had succeeded then there wouldn't have been the need for 1C to sign the agreement with 777 to make IL-2:BOS. Just except as it goes. I mean. this is a pretty good product that Team Fusion is giving us because where else can you fly the Wellington, Bf 108, Dewoitine D.520?

Imagine this BraveSirRobin. Imagine that you spent nearly a month trying to find a present for your wife or child that he or she always wanted. In doing so, you put everything else in your life behind trying to find it, then you eventually find it after days/weeks. When you deliver the present, he or she laughs at you and destroys it. How would that make you feel?

If someone can say " It what other game can you/has/…?" Then that game is worth playing.

I believe that Jason can do the Battle of El Alamein for Tank Crew.

• Haha 5

4 minutes ago, Novice-Flyer said:

You don't care that the people at Team Fusion have worked their butts off since 2013 trying to perfect a game that they were very disappointed had ended. These people don't even work for a profit!

Um...  They're working for a profit now.  

As for the rest of your post, welcome to capitalism!  If someone makes a better product, there's a good chance that you're going to lose your job.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 2

Why don't we just let this WHOLE issue go away a move on. Please, this is weird.

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, CUJO_1970 said:

I was flying an Emil through scattered clouds over the splendid Kuban map the other day and for a moment I imagined it was the English countryside, or western France.

It was at that moment that I realized CLOD needs to stay in its lane.

When I glance down through the clouds on the Kuban map I'm in a P-39, looking at those densely forested hills and valleys.  Imagining seeing a pair of Zeroes racing down the side of the Owen Stanleys and heading back to their base at Lae...

Edited by Feathered_IV
  • Upvote 10

6 minutes ago, Feathered_IV said:

When I glace down through the clouds on the Kuban map, I'm in a P-39 and looking at those densely forested hills and valleys...  Imagining seeing a pair of Zeroes racing down the side of the Owen Stanleys and heading back to their base at Lae.

Taking off in a P-39 or P-40 from Anapa or Novo it's easy to imagine climbing to meet a Japanese attack on Henderson, or Darwin.

• Upvote 5

I do hope that someday the IL2:GB engine will be able to recreate strategic and not purely tactical military aviation. The Air War over Germany is something that wouldn't interfere with TF and really hasn't been seen since B-17: The Mighty Eighth. I think the Wings Over Flanders Fields team may tackle it in Wings Over the Reich but that's not going to be for a long while.

17 minutes ago, l_commando said:

I do hope that someday the IL2:GB engine will be able to recreate strategic and not purely tactical military aviation. The Air War over Germany is something that wouldn't interfere with TF and really hasn't been seen since B-17: The Mighty Eighth. I think the Wings Over Flanders Fields team may tackle it in Wings Over the Reich but that's not going to be for a long while.

It would certainly be popular, however I suspect such a title would need a very different game engine.  One that was written specifically for it.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Gambit21 said:

Midway and Guadalcanal (Watchtower) are basically the same plane set.

Plus carriers were used during Watchtower before both sides stashed them out of harm’s way for 18 months.

Not to mention we could possibly get some use out of our P40

• Upvote 1

Well, I'm late to this party, and in any case have only had the game for several weeks now (although I've read quite a bit on the forum)….so just a thought for the Pacific:

that I don't believe I've seen mentioned:

Are there any advocates for New Georgia/Central Solomons? Seems to me that it could be a logical place to start. Plenty of famous plane types, but you don't necessarily need to have capital ships to still have the correct feel? You could have a pretty long stretch in the middle of 1943 without needing carriers right out of the gate.

Begin with staging from the Russells for Allies, Kahili/Ballale for Japanese. Opportunities for fighter sweeps, bomber intercept, CAP, CAS, barge-busting.  F4Us, TBFs, SBDs, D3A, G4M, A6M3, surely some solid F4Faction still, and I would assume A6M2s but maybe not so much with B5N (am going off top of my head here, so apologies to those with eidetic memories :happy: if I'm in the wrong). And you have P-38, P-40, B-25, maybe P-39/400(?),too. But it could work with only destroyers, coastal steamers, landing craft, barges, PT boats, and the like. Smaller scale raids & good consistent air combat historically. Still a context for long range overwater navigation (with the right sort of missions) and certainly not as much landmass to model as New Guinea.

Then it could go to Guadalcanal with basically just a new map, although it seems you would need at least BBs and CAs for that, if not CVs . Or at that point just go whole hog on carriers of course.

Carrier functionality would obviously be awesome, and the Canal would be very cool too, but it seems like if the sticking point is the work needed on carriers & the AI struggling with capital ships AAA, then I think Central Solomons would be a good beachead for a Pacific expansion. Certainly Midway always gets a bit dull due to lack of variety in my prior sim experience; although I'm an inveterate SP person, so maybe that's the problem.

Anyways, my bottom line is if the choice were between carrier ops and going to Pacific, I'd much rather fly something entirely new (anything USN/USMC or IJN/IJA would be great) off of crushed coral -- wherever it may be -- and wait a bit for carriers, than get carriers but have it be with some silly sissified Seafire or some such in the Med! :P

Just my 2 cents.

--Cheers

(Also I bet a volcano would look pretty cool in Il-2. Just sayin'...Rabaul... someday, somehow)

We’ve discussed the Slot many times - do a search.

R Area Air Force!

Just now, Novice-Flyer said:

You don't care that the people at Team Fusion have worked their butts off since 2013 trying to perfect a game that they were very disappointed had ended. These people don't even work for a profit! They're just a bunch of people who work in their spare time. Meaning that whenever YOU have time to play IL-2 is when the people at Team Fusion have time to work on Cliffs of Dover. From 2013-2017 they were just an amateur MOD group, but after signing the agreement they became the official developers. I believe that They are better than the devs of IL-2 GB because they get their heads in the game more than 1CGS. When they announced in the November Update that the Scharnhorst, Prinz Eugen, and Admiral Scheer were going to be in patch 5.0, I was amazed as I thought before that all of the ships would be ones that operated in the Med. IL-2 GB is flawed in several ways as they charge you big bucks for things that are cheap to make like the Bf109G-6, after 4 years of development planes (German in particular) don't even have droppable fuel tanks. Following the BoB the German fighters started carrying droppable fuel tanks. In several dev pictures a Bf109E-7 is shown carrying a droppable fuel tank. TFS has addressed game issues and will resolve them soon with TF 5.0.

You make me SAD BraveSirRobin. You truly do. To begin with, saying that Cliffs of Dover needs to end is TOTALLY MEAN. You're a BULLY. I'm sorry, but that's what it has come to. IL-2 Great Battles came into existence just by shear luck. If Cliffs of Dover had succeeded then there wouldn't have been the need for 1C to sign the agreement with 777 to make IL-2:BOS. Just except as it goes. I mean. this is a pretty good product that Team Fusion is giving us because where else can you fly the Wellington, Bf 108, Dewoitine D.520?

Imagine this BraveSirRobin. Imagine that you spent nearly a month trying to find a present for your wife or child that he or she always wanted. In doing so, you put everything else in your life behind trying to find it, then you eventually find it after days/weeks. When you deliver the present, he or she laughs at you and destroys it. How would that make you feel?

If someone can say " It what other game can you/has/…?" Then that game is worth playing.

I believe that Jason can do the Battle of El Alamein for Tank Crew.

Novice-flyer,

I applaud your intentions, however in your example, if I was buying my kids something that they always wanted (within the attention span of a Gold-Fish), I'm afraid as things change and better things come onto the market, my kids requirements would change just as quickly.  Therefore, if i didn't give them what they want when they wanted it, they would go off it and hence why I don't buy Christmas presents for them in the first half of the year.  That said, as an old fart I'm happy to wait for things but there comes a point where something is no longer worth waiting for as something else comes along or there are better improvements! Therefore, yes, I'm really looking forward to the Wellington, however, currently the Tempest for me is now the new shiny-toy in the shop and that isn't being disrespectful to TF.  In addition, things move along and some times it needs things not to work out for advancements to be made and I'm sure that all developers are looking at the next product to keep customers or to bring new ones in, but as a society we want instant action and we are no longer content waiting for things.

However, back on topic, I would really like to see the Korean War (1950s) before BOP, however, not sure what the plane-set would be like to ensure a balanced number of aircraft on either side.

Regards

Posted (edited)

Ah, my fault. Still new to the whole forum thing -- I see it now.

Anyways, really really like the S. Pacific, and figured I'd chime in where I saw an opportunity. In any case I still need to catch up with what I have, not to mention Kuban (and I believe your Havoc campaign?) & BOBP too!

Didn't mean to be beating a dead horse; I'll be happy to take whatever the developers decide to come up with, no doubt!

--Cheers

Edited by morron76

Posted (edited)

As people are putting their bets here and it is not too late yet for the traditional new year predictions, horoscopes or tin casting, here is what I see from my crystal ball...

When it became clear that Il2 GB was not ready for Pacific, they looked into alternative European theaters. Bodenplatte and Italy/Mediterranean were both strong candidates, but they wanted to leave that Italy/Med route open for CloD for now, because the progression from North Africa to there is very natural. So they picked Bodenplatte, but also made it clear that if TF 5.0 was not successful, then the holding place for Italy would not stay there forever.

If IL2 GB has solved it's gaps related to Pacific, it will go there next. TF 5.0 will be released during first half of 2019. Depending on it's success, it will be given a green light to go to Med/Italy or go to graveyard. That will also affect which routes Il2 GB might take after, or instead, of Pacific. 

While CloD is actually a quite good game, especially if bugs would be honed out, I don't think it would sell very well. Player base has mostly moved on from it already and pace of new content, especially when compared to IL2 GB, is just too slow for bigger masses to want to go back to CloD or to have totally new simmers pick up an "old" sim.

Italy/Mediterranean will be open market in 2020.

Edited by II./JG77_Kemp
  • Upvote 2

With three separate product lists on the go at the moment, it may be longer than usual before they can consider another one. 

Why is BoB and PTO so popular?

Becouse it is widely documented and adopted in movie industry while less known theatres aren't.

Business wise every kid with little to no ww2 air combat knowledge heard for Midway and BoB.

And that is what will attract and expand il2 playerbase, popular theatres!

There is many ww2 enthusiasts here that have their fav less known theatres but that's not what will help il2 popularity.

I think going for popular theatres should be priority, to create strong customer base and later fill it with less know theatres.

• Upvote 1