Han

Developer Diary 210 - Discussion

12 minutes ago, Reflected said:

Cool update! What's with the low resolution roundel on the Camel, though?

It's not low resolution (4k) but has a hand painted look to make it more authentic.

All yellow:

Spoiler

P-47_365th_Fighter_Group_1945_color_phot

all yellow:

Spoiler

Air%20&%20Space%20Museum%20Dulles%20Anne

all yellow:

Spoiler

001270788.jpg

all yellow:

Spoiler

P-D-Thunderbolt-on-the-ground-wallpaper-

yes yellow -> zinc chromate.

The Aircraft posted by @=FB=VikS is probably that one:

USAAF-44-32718-P-47D-Thunderbolt-Color-0

And it most likey has seen many colors during restaurations.

It doesn't make sense to me that in the production of an aircraft, they would have diffetent primers for different parts.

Edited by ZachariasX

17 hours ago, PatrickAWlson said:

Smart developers have stopped doing that.  You give dates in terms of quarters and even there you give yourself some slack.  It gets released when it is done.  Specifying a date just creates unnecessary pressure that can lead to cut corners and bad work. 

So smart devs keep doing "in about two weeks" wich is totally a misinformation. "about two weeks" is quite its on its way, like the winter in Game of Thrones.

6 hours ago, LukeFF said:

@=FB=VikS, my research says the internals of the cowl flaps were left unpainted. Is that true? 

http://www.ipmsstockholm.se/home/interior-colours-of-us-aircraft-1941-45-part-ii/

Interiors of P47 aircraft cowlings were natural metal. The aluminium in this area was anodised giving a darker and very dull greyish appearance.

That is an interesting read about used interior colours on the Republic P-47.  :good:

The mystery of the dark paint applied for the cockpit due to a possible error in the maintenance manual of the P-47. Makes it even more confusing.

And in relation to the wheel wells subject:

"All other interior surfaces of the fuselage with exception of the firewall were finished in Zinc Chromate Yellow. This included also wheel wells, undercarriage covers and armament compartments in the wings.

Undercarriage legs were painted Dark Olive Drab 41 on camouflaged aircraft. This practice continued over to at least some natural metal machines. At some point in production the requirement seems to have changed to allow an Aluminium lacquer finish to be used."

Great update guys, thank you very much, the modelling is truly amazing.:drinks:

Still waiting patiently for that U2, seems to have been in production for a very long time, any chance you can tell us just what kind of issues you are experiencing to put this in sim? 

Maybe give the third party developers who are putting it together a space in the forum to show off their wares and enlighten us on their experiences of trying to make something fit this particular game.

Looking forward to finally seeing all this amazing stuff in game.:salute:

Wishing you all the very best, Pete.:biggrin:

• Upvote 1

So we are getting the P47 running at a max 70" (2.37 ata) on 150 octane fuel. 

Are we also getting a de-rated engine mod running on 100/130 octane fuel?

I read the DD but it is not clear.

It is a minor point, but the 9th AF P47s on the continent did not use 150 octane fuel.

cockpit pictures show red mark at around 64" and there is no indication from devs that we are geting 70" from what i see.

Would be nice if that point was cleared up. Reading reports on WW2 aircraft performance, the speeds posted by fb Viks match up with tests using 70"/150 octane.

1 hour ago, Missionbug said:

Great update guys, thank you very much, the modelling is truly amazing.:drinks:

Still waiting patiently for that U2, seems to have been in production for a very long time, any chance you can tell us just what kind of issues you are experiencing to put this in sim? 

Maybe give the third party developers who are putting it together a space in the forum to show off their wares and enlighten us on their experiences of trying to make something fit this particular game.

Looking forward to finally seeing all this amazing stuff in game.:salute:

Wishing you all the very best, Pete.:biggrin:

last dd says u2 is in final fm adjustments on fedback from po2 pilot, so i dot understand all the panic about no info for u2, if its fms are geting adjusted thats to me hes reday to be out in no time as its more then finished.

11 hours ago, ShamrockOneFive said:

Probably one of those slow burn features that will take a while to build out fully. Depending on how complex it is... it could take a while.

Which is fine.  I just would like to hear something to that effect from the Devs themselves since these are Dev Diaries.  If it is something they are actively working on then it's worthy of inclusion even if it's once sentence such as "...work on the new Air Marshall feature is proceeding."

1 minute ago, NO_SQDeriku777 said:

Which is fine.  I just would like to hear something to that effect from the Devs themselves since these are Dev Diaries.  If it is something they are actively working on then it's worthy of inclusion even if it's once sentence such as "...work on the new Air Marshall feature is proceeding."

Last mentioned by Han here:

Relatively speaking that's not too long ago :)

26 minutes ago, ShamrockOneFive said:

Last mentioned by Han here:

Relatively speaking that's not too long ago :)

I see thanks.  He spelled it differently ( Marschal) so it didn't register in my forum search.  Still, it would be really lovely to get some screenshots or some idea of how the concept is fleshing out.

7 minutes ago, NO_SQDeriku777 said:

I see thanks.  He spelled it differently ( Marschal) so it didn't register in my forum search.  Still, it would be really lovely to get some screenshots or some idea of how the concept is fleshing out.

Yep, not the right spelling but I forgive him :)

It would be nice. I know back in one of the Q&A's Jason talked about the basic concept of it being a type of GCI/commanders type post with a GUI that was reliant on forward spotters and information from aircraft to build a picture of what was happening. Fog of war very much in effect.

We don't know too much about how it will work beyond that. I imagine it will take sometime to build out in a form that would be serious enough to appeal to the purists while also being fun for people in general. It sounds like a great idea and that was before we had a dedicated tank sim being built into the series. I can see the chances for multiplayer fun to be really quite high up there.

1 hour ago, Sgt_Joch said:

Would be nice if that point was cleared up. Reading reports on WW2 aircraft performance, the speeds posted by fb Viks match up with tests using 70"/150 octane.

I put a number of the WWII aircraft P-47 speed tests in a spreadsheet, our P-47D matches 65"@2700RPM and I think 20,000 max turbo RPM

P-47D-30 must have had its turbo running at 22,000RPM (limited to 15 minutes) to allow such high critical altitude for 65"

unknown.png

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, TestPilot_001 said:

Where is the   "KM" letter on the 109 K4  Altimeter?

It´s right there just below the center of the dial.

2 hours ago, RoflSeal said:

I put a number of the WWII aircraft P-47 speed tests in a spreadsheet, our P-47D matches 65"@2700RPM and I think 20,000 max turbo RPM

P-47D-30 must have had its turbo running at 22,000RPM (limited to 15 minutes) to allow such high critical altitude for 65"

unknown.png

The D-28 could run the same turbo rpms as the D-30, they had the same engine and turbo, very little changed between the D-28 and D-30.

Edited by Legioneod
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, ShamrockOneFive said:

Yep, not the right spelling but I forgive him :)

It would be nice. I know back in one of the Q&A's Jason talked about the basic concept of it being a type of GCI/commanders type post with a GUI that was reliant on forward spotters and information from aircraft to build a picture of what was happening. Fog of war very much in effect.

We don't know too much about how it will work beyond that. I imagine it will take sometime to build out in a form that would be serious enough to appeal to the purists while also being fun for people in general. It sounds like a great idea and that was before we had a dedicated tank sim being built into the series. I can see the chances for multiplayer fun to be really quite high up there.

When I have something to show I will. Its not ready yet, but it's being worked on.

Jason

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4
  • Upvote 8

7 hours ago, -[HRAF]BubiHUN said:

So smart devs keep doing "in about two weeks" wich is totally a misinformation. "about two weeks" is quite its on its way, like the winter in Game of Thrones.

Your response is exactly why a date should not be given.  Entitled nonsense about "misinformation" as though they are actively trying to cheat you.  Take a deep breath and look at their track record.  They have been delivering a very good product since 2009.  

• Upvote 9

21 minutes ago, PatrickAWlson said:

Your response is exactly why a date should not be given.  Entitled nonsense about "misinformation" as though they are actively trying to cheat you.  Take a deep breath and look at their track record.  They have been delivering a very good product since 2009.  

He just doesn’t get the meaning of „In two weeks, be sure!“™

Although I would have expected him to have a sense for slavic humor.

• Confused 1

Thank for the great DD, just now had a chance to read it.  Two weeks for sure with a ;),  and a (Doh!) put in for just in case:popcorm:.   

1 hour ago, Taxman said:

Thank for the great DD, just now had a chance to read it.  Two weeks for sure with a ;),  and a (Doh!) put in for just in case:popcorm:.   

You realise that the team is working for noone but you? 😜

Wonderful update guys ... keep up the GREAT work.   I started with the very first IL2 and never expected the sim to develop into what we have today. Every update has been remarkable to me although I sometimes find the comments of “the purists” a bit much.  Nevertheless, their comments may have spurred the developers to give us the products we enjoy today, as well as improving my knowledge of the history of time represented.  Just finished reading “The White Rose of Stalingrad” ... remarkable story!  Any chance we’ll see a female pilot?

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, EAF19_Marsh said:

You realise that the team is working for noone but you? 😜

May I ask just what your statement imples? BTW I was also paraphrasing Han in my post.

3 hours ago, Jason_Williams said:

When I have something to show I will. Its not ready yet, but it's being worked on.

Jason

Thanks Jason! I think we're all pretty interested in seeing what it's all about when it's ready to talk more about it.

• Upvote 1

I guess it wasn’t “glaring” enough for me to see it.  What was the “inconsistancy” about the Kurfürst?

On 11/9/2018 at 7:51 PM, Jason_Williams said:

Time, time, time. If you knew the time constraints the team is under you will see the difficult decisions we have to make. I hope to add such things later when we have more time.

Jason

Don´t worry about time. You guys are awesome! Haven´t seen a team of developers releasing this amount of content with this high quality in that short amount of time. So don´t worry, your schedule is more than just fine; it is brilliant!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Jason_Williams said:

Jason

Thank you for replying.  I really think this will be a game changer.  

• Upvote 1

So you're introducing a Bf-109 K4 with a DB 605 DC engine, which has seem such limited use I'm not even sure if it has seen any combat at all, but "there's not enough data" to introduce 150oct powered allied planes or a Spitfire Mk.XIV. Yeah right.

7 hours ago, TWC_SLAG said:

I guess it wasn’t “glaring” enough for me to see it.  What was the “inconsistency” about the Kurfürst?

It had the latest, most powerful Daimler-Benz engine developed, but at the same time it had a lot of cost-cutting measures like wooden components in the cockpit and the tail section.

23 minutes ago, 4./JG26_Onebad said:

So you're introducing a Bf-109 K4 with a DB 605 DC engine, which has seem such limited use I'm not even sure if it has seen any combat at all, but "there's not enough data" to introduce 150oct powered allied planes or a Spitfire Mk.XIV. Yeah right.

It really helps to read the whole topic before making comments like that:

I don't mind when the game models some prototype/extremely obscure stuff like the 20mm gunpods for the Mc.202 (or the 202 on the Eastern front in general, really...) or the rockets on the Spitfire IX, but the inclusion of stuff like that over much more widespread and useful mods does confuse me. I do hope the devs get the time to go back and add more bells and whistles to older aircraft, at some point. Once we get the western allies as a playable faction proper it would be nice to get their ordnance on the Spit V, P-40, A-20, etc

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Taxman said:

May I ask just what your statement imples? BTW I was also paraphrasing Han in my post.

Errr, the Beatles’ song ‘Taxman’. ‘Cos you’re the Taxman. Right?

1 hour ago, 4./JG26_Onebad said:

Oh yeah, shills and apologists. Classic.

I just think it's silly to put resources into making literally the best aircraft the germans have operated in such limited numbers, but not modelling some more powerful versions of allied aircraft that weren't all that uncommon. I'm not viewing that from the point of bias towards one side or the other, but rather as someone who's hoping for a decent planeset that would properly represent the reality of late '44/early '45 air battles. That's it.

Whines for less powerful German aircraft and more powerful Allied aircraft.

Claims has no bias to one side or another.

• Sad 1
  • Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, VO101Kurfurst said:

I think that the map area for BoBp shows conclusively that the team has a ridiculously pro-Belgian bias.

• Haha 2

23 minutes ago, VO101Kurfurst said:

Whines for less powerful German aircraft and more powerful Allied aircraft.

He is not moaning for less powerful axis aircraft ya knitwit, he's simply stating what you know has been stated and factually backed up by lots of people on here. I too think it is a bit of a bummer the devs decide to put the time in for the axis aircraft (of BoOB to have all their bells and whistles even if they were rare) and not for the spit to have what it should. But as LukeFF stated above HOPEFULLY the devs will get around to doing it eventually... 😐

Especially because the Spit is quickly becoming redundant in the BoOP plane set performance wise. 

p.s. not claiming bias or anything bs like that before anyone jumps to conclusions

Edited by Bullets
  • Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, Bullets said:

He is not moaning for less powerful axis aircraft ya knitwit, he's simply stating what you know has been stated and factually backed up by lots of people on here. I too think it is a bit of a bummer the devs decide to put the time in for the axis aircraft (of BoOB to have all their bells and whistles even if they were rare) and not for the spit to have what it should. But as LukeFF stated above HOPEFULLY the devs will get around to doing it eventually... 😐

Especially because the Spit is quickly becoming redundant in the BoOP plane set performance wise. 

p.s. not claiming bias or anything bs like that before anyone jumps to conclusions

The next a/c will be a 1.98ata G-14 and G-10.

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, MiloMorai said:

The next a/c will be a 1.98ata G-14 and G-10.

Don't...haha 😂

I can understand adding a Spitfire MkXIV is not a top priority for the moment since that involves a lot of effort. However, adding the option to have 25 lbs boost on the MkIX seems like the right thing to do given the plane set currently in the works.

• Like 1