Han

Developer Diary 210 - Discussion

I like this! To me this is the best experience a flight sim can offer, encouraging the player to bring home a damaged plane. 👍

Thus we motivate multiplayer players to try to reach a friendly airfield even if their aircraft is heavily damaged - even a hard landing there (as long as you don't break a wing at its base or fuselage) won't count your aircraft as lost and your enemy won't get the kill.

• Upvote 1

Server ping calculations will be also corrected - this is required for further improvements in the multiplayer lobby.

Now THIS is what I love seeing! Looks like we might actually a multiplayer lobby with as much functionality as Half-Life 1 from 1998 after all. Better 20 years late than never! 😄

Edited by Inkompetent
  • Like 1

Wowowowow!!! Amazing, amazing stuff guys.

I’m particularly happy to learn about the new kill logic. I’m not particularly concerned about the scoring itself, but it’s sooooo great, that the “aircraft destroyed” criteria will no longer include simply having the engine cut out. This may seem a small thing but to me it really signifies the way that this sim is slowly moving out of the long shadow of IL2-1946.

Very excited about the update, but: I didn’t see anything about the U-2? Is that still scheduled for the next update?

• Upvote 3

I'm *really* happy about the new kill logic.  A few weeks ago on WOL I limped a P-40 back across the entire map on WOL, the engine cut out on final but I landed and got off the runway..but I was "destroyed"...

Love the new scoring logic, it'll improve gameplay a lot and maybe help people to not be so easily distracted after they smoke someone 

7 minutes ago, Finkeren said:

Very excited about the update, but: I didn’t see anything about the U-2? Is that still scheduled for the next update?

Read between the lines. Obviously this means that the third party work didn't work out and the U-2 has been cancelled. What else could it possibly mean?

• Confused 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, Danziger said:

Read between the lines. Obviously this means that the third party work didn't work out and the U-2 has been cancelled. What else could it possibly mean?

no no, it just got cancelled in favor of the Me 410

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Woohoo! One happy bunny! Or Cat. Great update, something to look forward to, and soon. Cheers.

Cheers Devs. 

A hard project to continue with a sometimes unreasonable customer base. 

Looking forward to evaluating the engine fundamentals of the P47.

• Confused 1

3 minutes ago, Danziger said:

Don’t you even DARE suggesting it! 👿

• Haha 1

Great news on the kill counter. I don't know how many times I have flown home on trim due to a broken control surface, and have the enemy fighter score a kill even so.

👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏

nice dev diary!! Very exciting!  New damage points for ai ground units and better weapons syncing for mp...

and new missions for sp!   Was missing free hunt just the other day... 

1 hour ago, Sgt_Joch said:

looks really nice!

so if I look at the 109 K-4 screenies, it looks like boost is max 1.80 ?

p.s. - getting the popcorn ready!

Best look a bit closer.

:popcorm:

• Upvote 1

Excellent DD can't wait to try it all out.

Just one thing though, I'm not complaining but 700kmh (434 mph) at 7000m (22,965 ft) sounds a bit fast for the D-28.

D-28 top speed was 443 mph but that was at 29,000ft, it didn't hit 430+ mph until around 25,000ft. 434 at 23k sounds closer to a razorback or a P-47 with a hamilton standard prop.

If we are getting a hamilton standard it all makes sense, but not if it's a curtis electric.

Not complaining, just curious.

Edited by Legioneod

2 minutes ago, catchthefoxes said:

skinners! can you make these!!

323178571_k4paint1.thumb.jpg.f1cde9e76f26e5d29baa7e10c67e1961.jpg

Reveal hidden contents

k4paint2.thumb.jpg.5694c7f778635cfe251e245ebe834157.jpg

no, skinners can't make drop tanks, sorry ;) 

• Haha 2

27 minutes ago, Danziger said:

Umm... no you are wrong. The U-2 is progressing. Not easy to build planes for us, we require quality.

The team as you can see is doing great things. When I visit them in person on my quarterly trips I am always amazed at what they are cranking out and improving aside from what I ask them to work on as part of our official schedule. Always pleasant surprises on top of unexpected challenges.

Show the hard working Sturmovik Team some love this Holiday season.

Also, don't forget to give us your Feedback!!! Keep them coming! 

Jason

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 15

2 minutes ago, Legioneod said:

Excellent DD can't wait to try it all out.

Just one thing though, I'm not complaining but 700kmh (434 mph) at 7000m (22,965 ft) sounds a bit fast for the D-28.

D-28 top speed was 443 mph but that was at 29,000ft, it didn't hit 430+ mph until around 25,000ft. 434 at 23k sounds closer to a razorback or a P-47 with a hamilton standard prop.

Not complaining, just curious.

Some screenshots show wing pylons removed so I'm guessing that is the reason.

Just now, Garven_Dreis said:

Some screenshots show wing pylons removed so I'm guessing that is the reason.

The speed I put was without wing pylons.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Legioneod said:

The speed I put was without wing pylons.

and what about higher boost?

9 minutes ago, Voidhunger said:

and what about higher boost?

70" would give it around those speeds.

70" would give about:

425 @ 20,000ft

438 @ 25,000ft

give or take 1-2 mph, it's be even faster with a hamilton standard (around 7-8 mph faster than what I put above)

Edited by Legioneod

3 minutes ago, Jason_Williams said:

Umm... no you are wrong. The U-2 is progressing. Not easy to build planes for us, we require quality.

No worries Jason. It’s Danziger. He was just taking the piss.

We all know the U-2 is coming. I just thought it would be in the next update.

I wonder if K4 had the emergency bomb rack jettison? And if such a system would be implemented for all of the relevant aircraft, especially now that we have the jettison for the wing mounted rockets.

5 minutes ago, 6./ZG26_Gielow said:

Two more weeks is just perfect.😎👉👉

Two more weeks is just perfect.😎👉👉

You can say that again! 

Oh... I guess you already did.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, CrazyDuck said:

Apart from the 4 new aircraft and the rest of the goodies, this is what excites me the most:

in the coming update, you'll experience the higher fidelity damage modeling for AI controllable ground objects such as trucks and tanks.

As a dedicated antitank pilot the difference in the damage modelling between AI and player controlled tanks became quite noticeable. Love the turrets being blown off. As long as they are not blown high enough for me to crash into when I pull up victoriously above the defeated tank. 😎  

I'm with you, that is exciting news -- - for such a small team they are doing some amazing work.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, sevenless said:

My personal guess is we get an x-mas special this year.

They said a few weeks ago that they were finishing 5 planes at a time, including the U-2. It was stated that the 4 stars were the planes shown today, but that doesn't mean that only 4 planes will be released in 3.007. I believe the U-2 and the Fw 190D-9 will be released in 3.007, but they couldn't show them today because they just weren't ready yet.

2 minutes ago, SCG_Sinerox said:

Looks like no 1.98 ata based on the dials...

do none of you people actually read the dev diary. or at least this thread before commenting

Edited by Asgar
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 6

I did read the lines talking of the higher boost of the DC. But the gauge shows 1.8. So....

Talon is right. Their is 1.98 on the dial!

Edited by SCG_Sinerox
  • Upvote 1

Nice DD, it's always good to see that you're trying to improve performance.

I guess all that nerdy stuff translates to Berloga lagging less when full. :)

Good thing because combat seems to concentrate in certain zones on servers like TAW.

Edited by =FEW=Hauggy

1 minute ago, SCG_Sinerox said:

I did read the lines talking of the higher boost of the DC. But the gauge shows 1.8. So....

The gauge plainly shows it goes to 2.0. 

• Like 1