HappyHaddock

Work in Progress

1 hour ago, Uufflakke said:

Are you working on the morning haze? I can't remember I've seen it in game actually.

There is fog/haze ingame in the morning but you only really see it when you´re pretty low. HappyHaddock´s pictures sure look better :D.

53 minutes ago, HappyHaddock said:

Well I'm a big fan of Constable's sky's

As for a morning haze and/or mist... well if the game engine can handle it then I'm pulling it apart to see if I can put I back together in a way that gives better end results... and the optical characteristics of the air at different times of day are such a big part of the look of everything, it has become something I'm focussing more and more of my attention on addressing.

I admire Constable's studies of clouds and skies. He must have painted dozens and dozens, if not hundreds, of oil studies. "Simple" studies on pieces of wood but stunningly beautiful.

The morning haze/ mist in your screenshots really add something to the atmosphere.

44 minutes ago, Psyrion said:

There is fog/haze ingame in the morning but you only really see it when you´re pretty low. HappyHaddock´s pictures sure look better :D.

I was afraid already I missed a checkbox in  the ingame settings or my average graphics card could not handle the fog/mist layers. 

Luckily that is not the case.

@HH:

Talking about clouds and such, I would really like to know what triggers the double cloud layers on the Kuban map. For my feeling they only seem to appear in the mountainous area.

And if so only at random.

Would be nice to have them on other maps too. And just like weather options or cloud height the double layers could also be selected then.

But perhaps it is better to leave that for another mod.

Double Cloud Layer.jpg

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, Uufflakke said:

@HH:

Talking about clouds and such, I would really like to know what triggers the double cloud layers on the Kuban map. For my feeling they only seem to appear in the mountainous area.

Would be nice to have them on other maps too. And just like weather options or cloud height the double layers could also be selected then.

This mod will apply the double layered clouds to any map, or at least they are built in to the randomisation that is part of this mod and I've tried to create some circumstances where the probability of getting them is almost as high as not.

As for another simple slider/selector that would re-adjust all the parameters that affect the probability of these occurring, that would have to be for the devs to work on, I'm not tackling the game interface as that's a whole other subject I know nothing about.

1 hour ago, Psyrion said:

There is fog/haze in game in the morning but you only really see it when you´re pretty low. HappyHaddock´s pictures sure look better :D.

Again that's another thing that's simply down to how you code it, this mod is playing around with how the sim applies it.... whilst unrealistic I can place it at 10,000m at mid day if wanted

Cheers

HH

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Uufflakke said:

I admire Constable's studies of clouds and skies. He must have painted dozens and dozens, if not hundreds, of oil studies. "Simple" studies on pieces of wood but stunningly beautiful.

The morning haze/ mist in your screenshots really add something to the atmosphere.

I was afraid already I missed a checkbox in  the ingame settings or my average graphics card could not handle the fog/mist layers. 

Luckily that is not the case.

@HH:

But perhaps it is better to leave that for another mod.

Double Cloud Layer.jpg

Kuban uses the exact same weather presets as every other map. The double clouds thing has to do with a glitch of some sort, maybe default cloud height on kuban. Oh and there are only two sets of weather presets, one for winter and one for summer, although there are remains of autumn and spring. Except that winter and summer presets are all identical except for the light and skydome they are using.

Posted (edited)
On ‎3‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 4:03 PM, LizLemon said:

Kuban uses the exact same weather presets as every other map. The double clouds thing has to do with a glitch of some sort, maybe default cloud height on kuban. Oh and there are only two sets of weather presets, one for winter and one for summer, although there are remains of autumn and spring. Except that winter and summer presets are all identical except for the light and skydome they are using.

I associate the phrase "glitch" with some sort of unintended and unpredictable problem. If something delivers a repeatable, predictable and controllable benefit I'd give the devs. the credit of calling it an intentional feature.

Although as I don't own the Kuban map perhaps you are referring to some aspects of these double layered clouds that behaves differently on that map that I'm not familiar with?

HH

Edit: just as a follow up. Your description of the double layer clouds as a glitch made me momentarily doubt my own understanding of them, as such I've run a  test where I have put in all the parameters, code and settings I thought would be needed to always generate these double layered clouds every mission; - Sure enough irrespective of choice of map or time of day, or altitude of cloud base that's all that now shows up.

It is an entirely controllable effect deliverable on command. Albeit when a programmer is trying to simulate the effect of something appearing at random they have to use a mixture of slight of hand and misdirection to stop it from being obvious as to what is and isn't influencing an outcome.  If folk can't figure it out then it may have achieved its goal of appearing random.. if you can see which strings are being pulled then the outcome just becomes another function of the different variables you start with.

Edited by HappyHaddock

Trying to juggle the very subtle tones and transitions of twilight which has resulted in fair bit of editing of my previous texture files so as to keep some of what's good about the more vibrant sunsets, without killing the look of the short period afterwards.

HH

twilight2.jpg

twilight1.jpg

twilight3.jpg

• Like 13
  • Upvote 4

Wow - really looks amazing, what you're getting out of the stock game.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

I'm not rushing you at all I promise, but do you have any more awesome screenies to show off? 😄

• Upvote 2

Can we have some more of these... wallpapers? 🙆‍♂️

• Haha 1

I'm afraid real life and paid work is having to take priority for the time being, but I'm hoping things will be slowing down a bit towards the end of May when I may be able to dedicate a bit more time to getting back to this.

HH

• Like 2
  • Upvote 3

11 hours ago, HappyHaddock said:

I'm afraid real life and paid work is having to take priority for the time being, but I'm hoping things will be slowing down a bit towards the end of May when I may be able to dedicate a bit more time to getting back to this.

HH

That´s absolutely fine, do it at your speed!

A happy and unstressed modder is a good modder.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

I honestly cannot believe I have only just seen this. Your work has blown me away, I have just blown through my daily allowance of upvotes on your thread haha, I didn't think or realise you could make this engine look so good! The foliage work, the lighting and colours of the sky, the clouds! All are incredible and I cannot wait for its release!! 

I know 1C doesn't allow for paid content for this sim but if they are not going to pay for your work / mod would unrelated donations upon release be okay? :biggrin: Or just preferably 1C you need to pay this man for his work and make it official haha. :salute:

Edited by Bullets
  • Thanks 1

I'm increasingly being messaged by folk asking if they can  volunteer to "test" this incomplete mod now and/or suggesting that the devs should formally pay me to work on this to speed up the process, so I'm going to post here the gist of the replies I've been sending in the hope it will stop others from making similar requests.

1) I'm still a long way from having anything resembling a complete mod as there's much code behind the scenes I'm still manually adjusting. Without others understanding how to do what I am doing they couldn't yet just install this as a jsgme ready mod and see on screen what I am seeing, and if they already know how to make all the changes manually they wouldn't need to use the mod. If I gave people something incomplete that crashed their software or just looked damned awful they may well take offence and assume I'm wasting their time.

2)The randomisation built into this means it won't deliver repeatable results (visually or performance data) from the same "settings" initially entered into the basic player interface - meaning that other people couldn't offer me meaningful feedback about the dozens of parameters that are combining behind the scenes to influence what either is or isn't working for any individual. I'd need them to unpick the software to establish the full parameters that were influencing things on their screens which brings me back to only really being able to get useful help from people who would be more capable than myself at modding these aspects of the sim.  I've yet to find a quick and easy way to access and change things to make my own testing a faster and simpler process. 

I've a long way to go on this but if things go to plan I should have a complete mod sorted by the end of the year, if not it might be later into 2020. If I was doing this professionally in a paid capacity I'd have some producer leaning over my shoulder talking about budgets and deadlines meaning the job would already be complete, but completed to the sorts of standards the devs have already put out which would kind of defeat the purpose of patiently re-doing things in my spare time to try and improve upon what  makes economic sense for a small development team. Jason has said many times that they don't pay modders for their work and I spend enough of my "day job" being pushed to complete creative work within client's deadlines and budgets that I'd not want pushing into a situation where I was being paid to deliver this.

I understand folk's impatience but I'm going to have to ask folk to wait.

However in the meantime here's another quick screen grab from twenty minutes of "downtime" last night just watching the scenery go by rather than actually doing any constructive modding. 

For now though it's back to paid work.

HH

losing the light.jpg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3
  • Upvote 3

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, Diggun said:

All very much appreciated. This mod is gonna be awesome!

Well that is the hope, the only certainty is that it isn't going to be quick to deliver.

Folk also need to understand that when I post screen shots I naturally pick images I think others will notice and think look dramatic... a lot of the time things just look a bit more "ordinary", I'm just trying to give the everyday mundane a slightly more natural look as I go.

HH

Edited by HappyHaddock

2 minutes ago, HappyHaddock said:

isn't going to be quick to deliver.

Isn't there some saying about how patience is a virtue bringing good things to those who stitch in time also serving those who only stand and wait in small packages?

I may have mixed my metaphors slightly....

• Like 1

And many of us "oldies" who were around in "Oleg times" got used to "2 weeks" as a standard answer to when. And "2 weeks" was a very flexible timespace, to say the least! So when HappyHaddock says nes working in his own pace we should get accostumed to beeing patient and glad when updetes are showing up. @HappyHaddock do your thing your way and we´ll be grateful with what you give us when time comes!

• Thanks 1

@HappyHaddock hello friend just curious on how the work in progress was going? Anything new? Not trying to pry just love the pics and updates 

Cheers:salute:

• Like 2

5 hours ago, rowdyb00t said:

@HappyHaddock hello friend just curious on how the work in progress was going? Anything new? Not trying to pry just love the pics and updates 

Cheers:salute:

Well  paying work is keeping me busy at the moment, both a restoration project on a large and valuable scale model of a Ferrari (worth more than some families full size daily drive)  that the client dropped and badly damaged, plus I'm trying to get sorted for an international  miniature art festival coming up in mid May. Consequently work on IL2 has been almost non existent other than a few minutes to occasionally check in here on the forum. However by the end of May I hope to have a little more spare time on my hands to get back to IL2.  I also lost a fair bit of time (though thankfully not work which I'd backed up to an external HD) when windows screwed up an update and got itself stuck in an internal loop where it wouldn't complete the update to make the computer usable, nor would it allow me to jump into safe mode or BIOS upon boot up to get it to revert back to a previous install of windows.... Still it is occasionally useful to start with a fresh install of the operating system on a re-formatted HD and reinstall all the software and data files you actually still use, rather than those that are simply there because you never got around to removing them.

On another topic I'm not going to mention names should it embarrass them, but I will say what a great community this is as I continue to receive private messages of support and encouragement, and this morning one such message included a gift code for the kuban map... just because they thought I'd appreciate the scenery.

So whilst I've nothing new to report, I've found here another screen shot that I don't think I've posed before.

Cheers

HH

first light.jpg

• Like 8
  • Upvote 4

Well naturally when gifted the kuban map you have to fire it up straight away and the first place you go is the mountains.... I suspect with a bit of effort to scout out the best locations for screenshots and to establish the best times to catch the sun at dramatic angles there are going to be some truly great screenshots to be had.

However until then here's a case of simply hitting screen grab within 60 seconds of initially  firing up the map and firstly being impressed by the "more recent" map making technology, and secondly thinking if this is what the kuban map is like I'm going to need a new PC to wring the neck of the WWI Arras map when it comes out.

HH

first trip to the mountains.jpg

• Like 11

Posted (edited)

Well despite having better things to do I've taken a little time this weekend to take to the hills and explore.

Anybody who has ever hiked the Scottish highlands will know you have to start early and finish late whilst enduring the cold, wet, miserable  and grey damp in order to get to see the spectacular views if/when the rain clears...

I've no idea if the hills of Kuban are the same... but the digital ones seem to be, and as was suggested to me are a superb location to test various aspects of my sky and lighting mods as I keep working on each part and I couldn't help but think of the Highlands when the light and landscape combined on screen to look like this..

Cheers

HH

end of the day.jpg

cold damp and miserable.jpg

a hill with a view.jpg

sunset in the highlands.jpg

waiting for sunrise.jpg

Edited by HappyHaddock
  • Like 13
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 4

Beautiful,

almost photograph realism!

Cheers

• Thanks 1

Are you sure that´s the same game? :biggrin: Awesome stuff man!

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, Psyrion said:

Are you sure that´s the same game? :biggrin: Awesome stuff man!

Well I keep taking small steps in the right direction... take enough of those small steps and, aside from a few occasions of going round and round in circles,  I am slowly moving further and further from where I started.... Even when going back over old ground it's a chance to spot and correct earlier mistakes, as today I accidentally stumbled upon a psychedelic acid green/yellow landscape that set me off on a two hour trawl through a batch of fifty data files comprising multiple lines of code  looking for a single mis-typed hexadecimal colour reference.... after failing to find this it turned out not to be the error I expected but a reference to an experimental lighting texture I'd forgotten to change back to my most recent proven texture.

On another matter it is a little insane how much of a frame rate killer the above screen shots were... Previously with everything maxed out my old gtx970 was running at about 60-90FPS.  The same settings on the Kuban map were at times dropping to below 20FPS, but that was the case with or without my mods and is a factor of the extra detail of the map not my mods.

As I do like my eye-candy I can seriously see myself having to massively upgrade my GPU for when the WWI Arras map is released as I'll not be happy turning down the graphics settings and missing out on what these mods can do just to achieve a playable frame rate on a 5year old PC.

HH

Edited by HappyHaddock
  • Like 1

I don't want to derail my own thread with discussion about a strange technical issue of dwindling FPS, but in testing my mods I have encountered an odd issue affecting both mods-on and mods-off modes which is hindering my ability to reliably test any performance hit of my mods.

As such I've started another thread elsewhere to see if others have encountered the same thing.

HH

7 hours ago, CAPSLOCK_ON said:

I've just stumbled upon this... amazing work!

Aint that the truth!

• Thanks 1

Dear HappyHaddock, what you do is so wonderful that I stare in awe. I am a simple user and have no competence at all in creating such mods, so I am completely dependent on your goodwill to hope one day experiment these stunning images live on my system. I am very patient so I will wait as long as needed.

I hope Jason looks too and maybe he can agree with you so as to make good use about your skills. I will watch from now on this thread very carefully.

• Thanks 2

Wow. Commenting to follow this.

Can someone make a mod that allows the pilot to go fishing and camping?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I'm struggling to make much time for this project at the moment but I couldn't resist sharing this quick screen grab whilst trying to push the optimisation of this mod a bit further; my old gtx970 is now churning out graphics like this at close to 100FPs with settings pretty much maxed out.

light in the dark.jpg

• Like 14
  • Upvote 8

That's really nice!  Wishing you the best of luck with the project.  I hope it becomes viable one day.  It looks fantastic.

• Thanks 2

Posted (edited)

Nice work Happy.  Thanks for the update.  I'm really looking forward to being able to try this mod.  Thank you.

Edited by JG51_Beazil
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

From time to time we all have to deal with jerks and morons that can leave you feeling jaded and cynical about society, and it can take a random act of kindness from a total stranger to renew your faith in humanity.

I'm not going to embarrass the individual concerned by mentioning names but I will offer out another shout of support for what a great community of folk can be found on this forum. I continue to receive private messages of support and encouragement from people following my developmental work on these environmental mods, and one such message came in a few days ago. A chap who barely ever posts on this forum just wanted to say he was impressed by my work and had just upgraded his own PC; that if a surplus EVGA 1070 FTW graphics card was going to be more use in my PC than his own cupboard he'd gladly parcel it up in the post for me.

Well today I've just received that parcel; several hundred pounds worth of second hand gpu gifted by a total stranger I'd never spoken to before.... So thankyou, as much for the kindness as the gpu itself.

Hopefully later this week I'll get a chance to install it and see how much faster than my old 970 it really is.

In the meantime here's another quick screen grab I don't think I've shared before.

winter haze 2.jpg

Edited by HappyHaddock
  • Like 9
  • Upvote 4

On 3/9/2019 at 3:28 PM, HappyHaddock said:

A few more screen shots of WIP, now I'm moving my attention to cloud modelling for this mod.

Cheers

HH

cloud 1.jpg

cloud 2.jpg

cloud 3.jpg

cloud 4.jpg

cloud 5.jpg

Hi HH. 

I have only just come across your thread and have to say I really appreciate what you are doing with the lighting. 

The current sky and clouds to my eye is so oversaturated and almost cartoonish that your screenshots really stand out to me. 

Now, I appreciate these are screenshots from earlier in your mod process but the second, third and fifth images in the set, exemply everything wrong with the colours currently in the sim. I hate the green cast. I honestly have only seen a green tinge to clouds when there was a Tornado forming nearby, yet ox seems to have a propensity to paint weird colours over it's sky formations and your pictures here showcase that bloody awful green bias. 

I read through the rest of the thread and it looks like the oversaturated cartoon look has been fixed.... But is this crappy green cast still ongoing and if so, are you able to eradicate it? 

Like I said, love the work as visually BoX looks great.... Apart from the cartoon colours in the bizarre saturated skies👍

Cheers, MP

• Confused 1

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, Mysticpuma said:

Now, I appreciate these are screenshots from earlier in your mod process but the second, third and fifth images in the set, exemply everything wrong with the colours currently in the sim.I hate the green cast. I honestly have only seen a green tinge to clouds when there was a Tornado forming nearby, yet ox seems to have a propensity to paint weird colours over it's sky formations and your pictures here showcase that bloody awful green bias. 

I read through the rest of the thread and it looks like the oversaturated cartoon look has been fixed.... But is this crappy green cast still ongoing and if so, are you able to eradicate it? 

Like I said, love the work as visually BoX looks great.... Apart from the cartoon colours in the bizarre saturated skies👍

Cheers, MP

Technically it's no challenge to add/remove any colour  tinge you want; it comes down to aesthetics, I find the stock game a bit too blue and so have been removing a hint of this.

As an artist I've found the lighting in different parts of the world can vary radically. What someone on one side of the planet considers normal may look very strange to someone elsewhere, however as we are both based in the UK we should both be used to seeing pretty similar skies. However from my point of view it is the first and fourth of the above images you mention that look worst because of the stronger blue tinge, whereas I don't see a green tinge to the second, third and fifth just dark blue/grey storm clouds.

I suspect that the two of us may have our monitors calibrated very differently?  I run a decent quality IPS screen because I'm so fussy about colour reproduction so I hope it's not my monitor that's out of balance. 

If others can detect a green tinge let me know and I'll look into this?

HH

Edited by HappyHaddock