Champagne

Q: Enemy AI behavior in Quick Mission Skirmish

4 on 4. Enemy are flying SPADs set on Veteran. I'm in one Dr. 1 with three AI comrades. Can someone explain how the SPAD AI pilots react after passing the Dr. 1s from the initial head on attack? 

Some of them seem to want to fly to the nearest airstrip to land and exit the fight. Others will zoom in and away from the Spawn point, which is the "Fight Point" I guess. 

Could it be that the ones that are damaged will leave the fight and land? Those able to continue the fight zoom in and away from the "Fight Point"?

Thanks.

Edited by Champagne

They are trying boom and zoom. They probably will come back up and around although I'll have not played FC much.

I'm fairly new so I may be FOS, but I think you could take a look at the AI decision-making by looking at the Quick Mission in the Mission Editor. I think when you fly a Quick Mission, it becomes the default mission in the folder (the one called my_mission or something like that). You can open that and look if the AI are going home after a certain amount of damage, etc. As a side note, if you download the Mission Editor manual, it comes with a number of example missions. I've taken several of them and changed the planes to the Spad/DR and they work just fine. There's a mission to bomb bridges, factories and even a defended factory with spotlights and stuff. If you get an error opening a mission in the mission editor, open the mission file up in a text editor and you'll probably find that the plane file points to an old location...make it right and the mission will open in the editor. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, US103_Talbot said:

They are trying boom and zoom. They probably will come back up and around although I'll have not played FC much.

Lol no, they're not.  OP's description of the AI behavior is exactly what is happening.  It's worse than RoF, and AI level doesn't seem to matter either.

Honestly, it appears that the AI that we have can barely even fly these planes.

Edited by hrafnkolbrandr

On 11/7/2018 at 1:46 PM, hrafnkolbrandr said:

Lol no, they're not.  OP's description of the AI behavior is exactly what is happening.  It's worse than RoF, and AI level doesn't seem to matter either.

Honestly, it appears that the AI that we have can barely even fly these planes.

The enemy SPADs set on Veteran are EXCELLENT marksmen.  They will dive on my Triplane, start shooting from 400 meters away and are able to kick rudder and stay RIGHT on target until they pass. The only hope for me is to spot them when they are 1,000 meters away and turn to face them. If they get closer, my only chance to evade is to very quickly dive and turn directly opposite their course so that they overshoot. Their marksmanship is superior to mine. I can't hit an enemy SPAD from 400 meters or even 350 meters away. The AI Veteran pilots make 350 meter and 300 meter deflection shots look easy.