ME-BFMasserME262

Tried out soviet birds yesterday

What title says.

Yesterday, for first time since I got BoS (like one year ago), I flew the Yak1 and La5FN (I got it during the past week sales, dont ask me why, if I didnt even ever flew a soviet before... but I just had to put my hands over it).

Well, actually I flew the yak1 and even the Mig before, but was not more than 1 minute and then exited from battle. The reason: Im the typical Luftwaffle-german-biased-virtual-pilot, and never felt not even attracted to anything that is under allied flag.

Anyways, yesterday I decided that

was time to change that noob mentality for a few minutes at least, and decided to try both the Yak1 and the La5fn (against AI)...

Man, I wont say they are easy to fly, because one of the reasons I won all the battles, were because the german AI planes dont use the advantage their planes have (instead, they turn fight at tree top level even with an A3).

But, and this is a big "but", they are great for deflection shooting and for flight practicing overall. 

So actually this post is meant to be an advice for new players (im no way a PRO, you can confirm with the questions I make in my other posts), but I want to say this: if you are new to the sim and want to learn the basics (and the not-so-basics), pick a soviet bird first. Its less frustrating when you can turn aggressively almost without even losing energy. Yes, Soviet birds has their advantages of course, you need time to master them just like any other plane, but still, for a new player, is easier to take advantage of their advantages more than you can do with any German plane.

Finally, if there is a plane I would recommend to be the first one to "dominate", would be the Yak1. Hell, even myself I gonna stop doing german for some days just to learn to fly that beauty properly. Also, which is important to me at least, is that the Yak is easy to land, is easy to fly overall, while still fun.

Just my two cents,

F.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

Hi,

perhaps I should try the same the other way around - I only fly German planes for fun over the hills of Kuban with no enemies

in the air or on the ground, just simple sightseeing.

Cheers

• Like 1

You should give them a try in MP too if you haven't! I would though recommend the yak 1b or 7b. The 69 series needs to have the edge, or a few friends against a german player as he will fly the plane to its abilities. Atleast that is my impression.

I also started out playing german, but I fell for the underdog role of the soviet side, not to mention the more varied plane sets. Never looked back!

• Upvote 4

The 'new player' situation is interesting as the performance advantage and less complex management of for example, the 109 F4, especially over the earlier Russian planes, is more forgiving for an inexperienced player, whereas the Russian planes' energy retention is more forgiving for the more instinctive turn fight a beginner would attempt. Ultimately there is something there for everyone and I for one found that the subtle differences in the various planes sustains my interest in the game.

I would definitely suggest that trying all the various planes, even the 'bad' ones, is interesting and improves your knowledge of the strengths and weaknesses of the equipment at your disposal.

Of course, the Allied side might not hold any interest for you at all.. 

https://youtu.be/q95t2ulrXW4?t=38

Edited by 71st_AH_Barnacles

The La5FN is the best of the planes we have right now, including Bobp ones, I'm nowhere near a good pilot in WoL but I managed on the knights of the air server to dominate a pack of 190. It just was so easy like I was the one flying while they were crawling.

But I'm sure that would be true for the yak3 too. Late war soviet planes retain the advantages of their older selves but also take the edge where the german had the upper hand before.

And it's true that the yak and lagg/la series are especially easy to fly, really forgiving and that really makes them a first choice for average players.

For the german it's absolutely the opposite, take the 190: it's a really hard plane to master and on 10 players 1 will be untouchable with it while the 9 others would be the easiest of all the easy targets.

I don't get why anyone would choose to fly one side or even one plane exclusively. There's so much fun you're missing by not trying everything out.

As for the verdict: The Yak-1b is by a mile the easiest plane to use to its full potential, because it's so forgiving. Its full potential is not quite as good as most German fighters, but it is close enough that even a mediocre pilot can frustrate the hell out of a trying-too-Hartmann in a 109.

The La-5FN is the best fighter below 2000m - plain and simple, but you have to work around its main weakness: The very weak elevator that makes pitching nose down a real pain at high speeds.

I would say though: By limiting yourself to arguably the two best Soviet fighters, you are missing out on some of the funniest rides in the sim: The I-16 and the MiG-3. Both of those are quite capable under the right circumstances and are immensely satisfying to fly.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 5

3 hours ago, Finkeren said:

[...]

I would say though: By limiting yourself to arguably the two best Soviet fighters, you are missing out on some of the funniest rides in the sim: The I-16 and the MiG-3. Both of those are quite capable under the right circumstances and are immensely satisfying to fly.

Exactly. I tried the I-16 and MIG-3 too. While I couldnt do anything with the I-16, I managed to shot down some 109's and 190's (always speaking about AI enemies). The MIG is surely a beast of a plane, and is the most difficult plane to shot down when im on a 109 or 190 (I find it quite good on AI's "hands").

Oh, almost forgot, the Yak-7 seems to be a beast too, I read on forums it was the "surprise" of BoK. Indeed, is like a Yak1 but more stable and pleasant to fly, plus the guns are awesome.

3 hours ago, Finkeren said:

I don't get why anyone would choose to fly one side or even one plane exclusively. There's so much fun you're missing by not trying everything out.

As I said, Im the typical german-planes-fanboy, but decided to change that and try out the soviets. As for the "why one plane exclusively?", well, I guess thats not bad, since I need a good amount of time flying one single plane in order to master it, but I get your point.

• Like 1

The thing about fighting AI is, that it doesn’t really tell you the full story of your aircraft’s capabilities. Because of the AI’s fighting “style” (or lack thereof) it heavily favors fighters with good sustained turn rate and high climb rate - and not much else.

This means that it is way harder to fight AI Yaks, Spitfires and I-16s (and to a certain degree Bf 109s) and AI LaGGs, La-5s, P-39s and Fw 190s are just target drones. 

In reality, the planes that the AI sucks in (especially the Fw 190 and La-5) are actually great fighters in human hands, but you wouldn’t know that from fighting AI.

• Upvote 2

Glad to see you are giving the VVS plane a shot.  I fly mp and most of the time I enter a server the map is dominated by players flying German, so I usually take a VVS plane.  I think the VVS planes are more challenging as, in general, they tend to need more management, are slower with weaker guns and not as much ammo.  When I do fly a German plane I am amazed at how much easier life is.

• Upvote 1

The Yak-7b is the most friendly plane for beginners, it handles super stable and has good characteristics. German planes require more knowledge because turn and burn against Yaks isn't really an option. If you excell in 109s and bring a wingman you become almost untouchable however. 

So yes, Yak family is best for beginners, Luftwaffe needs a certain skilllevel to achive full potential.

22 minutes ago, 216th_Jordan said:

The Yak-7b is the most friendly plane for beginners, it handles super stable and has good characteristics. German planes require more knowledge because turn and burn against Yaks isn't really an option. If you excell in 109s and bring a wingman you become almost untouchable however. 

So yes, Yak family is best for beginners, Luftwaffe needs a certain skilllevel to achive full potential.

I disagree about the Yak-7b. IMHO the Yak-1b is far more n00b-friendly. It has the unobstructed 360-degrees view, is less prone to overheating and doesn’t have the tendency of the -7b to prop-strike during take off.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Finkeren said:

I disagree about the Yak-7b. IMHO the Yak-1b is far more n00b-friendly. It has the unobstructed 360-degrees view, is less prone to overheating and doesn’t have the tendency of the -7b to prop-strike during take off.

However aiming is more difficult and less ammo available. Also nothing beats the slow speed handling of the 7, while I agree that the propstriking is a problem.

How bizarre, I've managed to screw up take off & landing in almost every way possible in every plane in the sim, and yet I've never had a Yak-7b propstrike on takeoff (and I fly the yak-7b a lot!)

Maybe you don't need to screw up but screw down to get a prop strike.

• Haha 5

2 hours ago, 216th_Jordan said:

I don't get your logic here. If you take turning with a Yak off the table you are left with diving from high up and running away; and if you are feeling truly bold you might turn around after about 4 Km to reengage. What is so hard about that? What superior cash of knowledge is required for that? You don't need to know all the details of plane systems management, the plane does that for you. You don't have to worry much about time constraints on engine modes, they are generous for the most used modes and if you don't get yourself into trouble you won't find much use for the more limited ones. The guns read out exactly how much ammo you have so you don't have to keep track in your head with trigger time vs. mag size and fire rate. The superior climb rate, and energy retention in a climb, allow for an equalization of altitude advantage in most cases. And unless you are diving from a fantastic height you don't need to even consider the structural failure speed of the plane as you will likely hit the ground before that is an issue. So where is all the extra skill and knowledge?

As for not being able to turn with a Yak in a 109, you are wrong. The 109 can hang with the best of them in a turning fight if you are smart about it. Use high/low yo-yos to get inside a Yak's high speed turn rate. Make use of the leading edge slats to beat the Yak in low speed turning or to force an over shoot. Make the power to weight ratio that the 109's have in spades to your advantage to rapidly switch from low to high speed tactics quickly and unpredictably. Is it harder than the aforementioned, dive-shoot-run away, 'tactic'? Yes. But it is way more fun.

• Upvote 5

Indeed, Yaks are the easiest to handle. The next ones are 109s or maybe Spitfires. 109s are the easiest to fight in, especially early F/early G series.

2 hours ago, Disarray said:

As for not being able to turn with a Yak in a 109, you are wrong. The 109 can hang with the best of them in a turning fight if you are smart about it. Use high/low yo-yos to get inside a Yak's high speed turn rate. Make use of the leading edge slats to beat the Yak in low speed turning or to force an over shoot. Make the power to weight ratio that the 109's have in spades to your advantage to rapidly switch from low to high speed tactics quickly and unpredictably. Is it harder than the aforementioned, dive-shoot-run away, 'tactic'? Yes. But it is way more fun. 

So how does this apply for beginners? :rolleyes:
I know the 109 can knifefight, I like to do that on Berloga too, but that was not the subject. High or low yoyos are sophisticated manouvers, not turn and burn.

Also the downside of managing so many things for soviets is also only partly true, usually you set radiators and maybe mixture and go 100% engine power, there isn't even a time limit.

Some people here seem to forget that actual flying is the hardest thing if you are new to flying, or at least new to this kind of aerobatic flying. I let some people fly on my pc who were interested and flying and aiming was what they screwed up with mostly. If your 109 locks up at higher speed or breaks apart after a few hits and has a high requirement for trimming, thats hardly newbie friendly.

Edited by 216th_Jordan

You made general claims about the 109, nothing to do with beginners. I simply wanted to provide an accurate view of the plane and it's capabilities. I don't know where this myth started that the German planes require more skill and knowledge came from, but I'll push back when I can.

My 2 cents (from actual noob perspective if you are speaking of them):

Bf-109 high speed handling is very frustrating for a noob. You can go high and dive on the opponent (if you manage to spot and ID anything from that distance, not the easiest thing in this game), but actually hitting him is not something a noob will manage to do on his first couple (hundred) attempts.

Yak-1 is the one that seems to be the much more beginner-friendly plane, when an actual beginner tries it for the first time, sorry.

18 minutes ago, Disarray said:

You made general claims about the 109, nothing to do with beginners.

I said turn and burn (in my eyes that reads as unsophisticated turnfights) was not an option, which remains true, especially for beginners.

18 minutes ago, Disarray said:

I don't know where this myth started that the German planes require more skill and knowledge came from, but I'll push back when I can.

Do you fly both sides evenly? A Yak is forgiving if errors are made, a 109 not so much. There isn't much science needed here. For the dogfight setups we see in this sim, which do not resemble real life for the most parts, a 109 pilot needs to be more aware of what he is doing than a yak pilot. That is my opinion and you are free to disagree with that.

This does not apply for general soviet planes, mostly yaks. (La-5, LaGG, Mig-3, I-16 all require a decent knowledge of the plane to be good with it) Yaks were good planes, due to single-man dogfights being  the most common here, they have an edge if both opponents fly equally unclean.

Just as an observation: newbie pilots on Berloga in 109s are free food, in Yaks also, but not anywhere near as much.

Edited by 216th_Jordan
  • Upvote 2

The only thing a 109 pilot should be aware of is the fact that they can easily outclimb anyone at will. Unless it is a La-5FN or Spitfire IX maybe. 

The thing is - there are many great choices for flying in this series.  Even the I16 can be fun once you realise her limitations and fly and fight accordingly.

The 109 can be a joy to fly but to fight in, one needs to be quite skilled in tactics especially when up against capable VVS opposition.

Real men though only dog fight in a 110 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

im having a blast flying the i16 and taking out axis columns and ground targets.

very different to my usual p40.

Edited by OrLoK

A newbie's experience to multiplayer: (WOL last night: Allied)

My current skills:

Spoiler

Not new to flying and can take off and land pretty much every plane in game (I have BOS/BOM/BOK and couple collector planes as package deal).

Had game for a while , but not the hardware to really use it. I flew with an xbox controller for quite some time until getting a decent stick and now dyi headtracker (with opentrack) which took ,me a couple of weeks to fine tune to where I'm now very happy with it.

I've been an avid watcher of you tube (mags/sherif/requim/scarfie) for some time also, so I know the online etiquette and much of the theory, I had reasonable expectation of what I was in for online...

I'm also a mission builder as of last few weeks , (I have formal programming training so I find this pretty easy to do). I've done a quick dissection of the wol map I played on last night, and reviewed a replay of one sortie.

I only really flown the 109 and fw190 for any time (and a bit of bomber stuff in he111 and bf110 ), almost exclusively offline apart from a few quick tests flight in couple Russian planes.

So...

I had my first real go at multiplayer on WOL and flew Russian last night. I had a Blast.

(I was having so much fun it was 3am when I went to bed... damn I did not realize it was that late).

I have almost no experience in any of the planes I few ( so information overload big time being my real first online session as well in the mix)

http://il2stat.aviaskins.com:8008/en/pilot/19651/Stix_09/?tour=41

I was lucky enough to get on coms with a few very nice pilots that really helped me out flying the Russian planes , I got shot down 3 times and we also did some runs in il-2's and a a20 and destroyed a convoy and some aaa and factories. I had one disconnect and lost a number of ground kills (my internet went spastic for about 10 minutes, I suspect my isp as I have fibre ).

I almost killed a friendly (deflection shot) and felt a little embarrassed, lucky I missed  so no harm done....

AND SO my thought of the Russian planes I flew compared to the axis planes I know much better:

Lagg3/Yak1 69, nice to fly but that horrible rear view is a killer, compared to the 109/fw190. (its death from behind unless you fly like a drunken Russian)

Mig3 was much better, because I like to be able to see my six.

IL-2 AM-38F is like being in a tin can of metal, next time I'm flying with canopy open as its claustrophobic, but man what a tank of a plane (compared to a axis plane), hell of a lot of fun and those bomlets and rockets are bloody cool.

And the A20 is a lovely plane:

I did not find engine management a big deal, but fine tuning to get the best from them is probably the thing there...

So far I would say my allied planes of choice are yak1b/la5fn/mig3 and the A20 and IL-2 (pe-2 yet to try)

(I still love the 109f4 and fw190a5 tho...And  I think many fly the 190 very wrong.... and the AI flies everything the same , hell it even flies bombers like fighters if u do a dogfight, ie there is only 1 AI fighter program, and not one for different planes)

I'm def going to be taking some of these planes up again. I've got  la5, but gota get the FN version and a yak1b just for the bubble canopy. I think the best vis to have is your six. in multiplayer, or you are going to be doing that floaty flight to the ground far to much...

And btw the 109 and the 190 are deadly in the right hands when flown correctly....

Early war is axis , late war allied get a lot better planes.

ANd I really gota work on my spotting...

Edited by Stix_09

Since the Spit IX was released, there are NOT any Soviet birds on the sky anymore !!!!

Now the battles are German birds against British forces above eastern front. Thats the reality. (Sad)

• Haha 3

25 minutes ago, 3.IAP_Vasilij said:

Since the Spit IX was released, there are NOT any Soviet birds on the sky anymore !!!!

Now the battles are German birds against British forces above eastern front. Thats the reality. (Sad)

Aren't servers limiting the planesets down to sensible matchups?

28 minutes ago, 3.IAP_Vasilij said:

I would not quite say its all brits... the la5fns is on terms to spit in battle performance. I think that spit ix is good but overrated.
it  comes down to the period and map you play too....

5 minutes ago, CrazyDuck said:

yes totally

i think balance is good

And I'm really starting to get a taste for Russian planes too...

Just my 2 cents here :

I learned how to fly on Yaks, since Yak-1 is our "school plane" in IRRE squadron

Yaks have the advantages to be noob friendly because you can do insane maneuvers... and they are forgiving aircrafts, you'll still be in the air even if you fail something.

Another advantage is that you have to handle your radiators/supercharger manually, so you learn everything since the start.

If you switch to other aircrafts like 109s later, gosh it's relaxing to have everything automatic, can drink your coffee while fighting 😄

So yes, definitely my way to go for beginners in this sim, learn to fly Yaks (even if you don't like VVS planes) and then you'll have all the basics of flying.
Easiest way to enter the MP world without being too frustrated!

Edited by -IRRE-Centx

32 minutes ago, -IRRE-Centx said:

Just my 2 cents here :

I learned how to fly on Yaks, since Yak-1 is our "school plane" in IRRE squadron

I'd agree on that.

As a someone new to mplay and allied planes. having flown the yak 1. its an easy plane to get up and mess about with.

I prefer the Mig 3 to the yak1 (not yet tried yak1b) , but it is a lot more tricky, would not be very newbie friendly, (at takeoff/land and it's low speed handling)

Once the Mig 3 is up and flying its pretty stable with a little bit of speed, it feels a lot like a 109 to fly, although so far feels like a more stable gun platform than 109.

The other option for a new player would be an IL-2

Edited by Stix_09

3 hours ago, 3.IAP_Vasilij said:

Stop playing on Berloga then.

1 hour ago, Stix_09 said:

The other option for a new player would be an IL-2

Only problem with starting out learning to fly and fight in an il2 is that you never get to practice landings.... 

21 minutes ago, Diggun said:

Only problem with starting out learning to fly and fight in an il2 is that you never get to practice landings.... 

Disagree! Fly them in a group and stick 8 fighters overhead and you can do as you please 😄 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Frenchy56 said:

Stop playing on Berloga then.

It's actually an advantage for me on Berloga at the moment - I can spot German aeroplanes way better, when I fly my beloved La5FN, knowing

all others being Spitfires mostly. Only the clipped wing Spitfire can sometimes confuse my spotting...

I fly mostly German but i did do a bit of a campaign in the I16.  That little plane is a blast to fly.  Because of AI limitations can be a real killer in an offline campaign.  It can probably be a real killer online if you find bad German pilots :) .

On 11/6/2018 at 6:56 PM, Disarray said:

No... Just no, i dont know how many times i'v had people say this on the forums, but when (a very few of them) shockingly agree to meet me in online duels (turnfighting) the results are ALWAYS the same, they attempt to cheese their 109 by abusing the derpy vertical stab, allowing a pretty hard inital turn (at a hillariously steep energy cost) Whilst the yak simply deploys flaps and perform the same manouver, except his energy hardly budges. Now the 109 is flapping around at around 250 ish kmh and handles like a tractor, whilst the yak gracefully swoops around at 300/400kph with flaps out and nukes it.
I am always keen on hopping on Berloga to do this, you up? 

Edited by Miller1
  • Upvote 2

4 hours ago, -IRRE-Therion said:

It's actually an advantage for me on Berloga at the moment - I can spot German aeroplanes way better, when I fly my beloved La5FN, knowing

all others being Spitfires mostly. Only the clipped wing Spitfire can sometimes confuse my spotting... 

I usually confuse Spitfires with 109's, though...

Though accidents have rarely happened. I have the good habit of missing my shots when it's friendly fire.

Edited by Frenchy56
  • Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, PatrickAWlson said:

I fly mostly German but i did do a bit of a campaign in the I16.  That little plane is a blast to fly.  Because of AI limitations can be a real killer in an offline campaign.  It can probably be a real killer online if you find bad German pilots :) .

That little think is so much fun, especially in VR, with the open cockpit and insane roll rate/maneuverability. And the all red paint job makes it so awesome.

On 11/7/2018 at 7:04 AM, hellmincer said:

Indeed, Yaks are the easiest to handle. The next ones are 109s or maybe Spitfires. 109s are the easiest to fight in, especially early F/early G series.

Having flown the bf109 the most, its an easy plane to fly, but takes reasonable skill to really make it deadly, then it is very dangerous.(and I'm still working on making that happen) For this reason I don't advise it as a beginner plane. I think you are better in a fast plane you can run away in....:lol:, or you are a masochist like me and "I'm going to master this bastard" attitude and then die lots trying...

If you have ever played the game Dark Souls , you know the motto... "be prepared to die,,.... lots!"

If energy skilled, I'd rather be in a 109 say than a spitfire. I think just because of its great energy efficiency when flown right, and if you can manage energy better you have the advantage (and that is a real skill to master, and the 109s main strength, and where many new players without that skill are just bait in the 109). The new guy needs a plane that' easy to kill in (/not be killed in), not one easIER to fly. (so I'd pick a fw190 over a 109 in this respect,just don't fly it like a 109 or spitfire)

In ww2 the spitfire was so good mainly as it was easier to fly than a 109  not because it was a better plane. Most pilots were unskilled with very little flight time. That also why its popular in IL-2. If skilled in 109 and spit, I'd take the 109...

I personally so  far have not found engine management difficult in the allied planes in my limited flying with them, you can set a forget most things, and only minor adjustments will be needed to optimize.

I know theory of many planes pretty well (I watch a lot of different youtube content on sims) and BFM enough to not be complete bait, now it's just now just  practice and tuning.

Regarding multiplay, (whole new level of skills in the mix) 90% is recognition and spotting , AND as long as you have enough skills to take off and land as minimal, then flying with others that work with your skills helps enormously with this.  (an makes the fun factor multiply with team numbers that work together..). It also is a lot easier to see someone else's six than you own in a team (or pair).

and the fw190, you gota keep fast and use that fantastic dive performance and roll rate(and why AI is bloody useless in planes that aren't a spitfire style fighter). It also has fantastic central  firepower, and why it excels in bnz.

I think many people also underrate how important your visibility is. critical if you end up solo.(and why I'm not a fan of the yak1, poor rear visibility).
I gota get the 1b i think that bubble  canopy is going to make the yak much better.

Everyone best plane is what you like to fly (allied or axis) and the yak or spitfire for sure works, but if you can take off and land a yak i'd suggest to learn the mig3 if i was allied pilot. Just got to master it's takeoff and landing and your set..., over 250kms/hr its a very stable gun platform(even better than 109 in this) , with good vis and decent firepower.(again if you are a newbie or pro you need to see that guy 1st) . It's engine management is a breeze too, you need BOM to get it.

Is it the best plane , no , but its a good beginner (and pro) plane for allied, and will tech you some good stuff, and it can kill well, and its not a premium plane. Its also avail on most multiplayer maps.But you need basic skills (so learn that in another plane, like a yak 1 or 109) , as its not easiest to takeoff and land, but not to hard to learn. lastly its a bit more stable to aim than a 109 (yak 1 too), also helps when u suck at aiming as that new guy.

And  most important , it a really fun plane to fly.

Edited by Stix_09
EDIT(typo) & vids

16 hours ago, CrazyDuck said:

Of course they are. The vast majority run historical scenarios.

The exception is Berloga and a few others where by nature they offer everything and the kitchen sink. You can fly a SPAD there too. It's a simple dogfight arena for quick action and fast paced fights.

I'm really glad the OP has tried out some other aircraft. IMHO, I can't help but want to fly every plane and get as much value as possible out of my flight sim purchases. Even then, I think what really drives me is the desire to try and fly and fight from all aircraft perspectives. It's a different experience to be a bomber, or an attack plane or fly a specific type of fighter. I couldn't really imagine just flying one side or one type of aircraft... But that's just me.

Edited by ShamrockOneFive
  • Like 2

On 11/5/2018 at 12:44 PM, 71st_AH_Barnacles said:

The 'new player' situation is interesting as the performance advantage and less complex management of for example, the 109 F4, especially over the earlier Russian planes, is more forgiving for an inexperienced player, whereas the Russian planes' energy retention is more forgiving for the more instinctive turn fight a beginner would attempt. Ultimately there is something there for everyone and I for one found that the subtle differences in the various planes sustains my interest in the game.

I would definitely suggest that trying all the various planes, even the 'bad' ones, is interesting and improves your knowledge of the strengths and weaknesses of the equipment at your disposal.

Of course, the Allied side might not hold any interest for you at all.. 

https://youtu.be/q95t2ulrXW4?t=38

I still don't get this argument. How is it "less complex" to manage 109 engine when you have the hidden emergency timer and hidden combat power timer? It is as simple as engine suddenly blowing up on the newbie without any explanation of any kind.

However if you take a yak, you can run it 100/100 100% of the time without any worry. Any time your mixture is wrong technochat tells you. Every time you are overheating - technochat tells you. The only hidden parameter is the supercharger gear which you need to click at basically fixed height. And forgetting the supercharger does not cause your engine to blow up either....

Edited by JaffaCake