HS-129 30mm cannon and fire group 1

Sybreed

II./SG.1-MarkWilhelmsson
4 hours ago, frosen said:

Wow! Didn't know that. It would be awesome to, in addition to be able to fire only the 30 mm cannon, fire both the 30 mm and 15 mm cannons with AP at the same time! 🤤

Attention Devs

4bp4kgg.jpg

05-a1feb4f6496d426d875fa5a1d4ca55ac.jpg

15mmap2.thumb.PNG.3dba3f6951257353a155baec5f37f588.png

Screenshot_20200505-234153.png

Screenshot_20200505-234955.png

Screenshot_20200506-040116.png

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1
  • 1CGS
19 hours ago, 216th_Cat said:

When they get around to fixing it they can do this little thing at the same time: 

(Copy of an earlier post)

Brief description: Visual error with Hs129
Detailed description, conditions: When the Hs129 fires its standard armament the spent shell cases are ejected from the bottom of the aircraft. In reality they should be retained within the aircraft and emptied out after landing.
Additional assets (videos, screenshots, logs):

Guns firing and shell cases ejecting in-game:

From the information given it would appear that these box covers for the MG17 that slide open and closed would be shut before an aircraft takes off for a sortie. When it landed afterward the covers would then be slid open and the shell cases collected. In-game they are permanently open; they would be better shown as permanently closed and the empty case animation removed. In real flight open holes in the wing would affect the airflow, even if only in a minor way, which may explain why they were covered..

This does not affect the Mk101 or Mk103 cannon; the spent shells are ejected from the gun as shown in-game.

Your PC config data (OS, drivers, specific software): N/A

Not sure about that - but frontline photos indicate that these hatches where left opened:

Hs129_01.thumb.jpg.481d20b783aac7c0f09660bc21d38898.jpgHs129_02.jpg.2a2a3d02bc1f58fa50a6ab30357222ce.jpgHs129_03.thumb.jpg.04b978d464883465ca861ae774496f9c.jpgHs129_04.jpg.13bbf4410f0c8c21e6fcef05b920a733.jpgHs129_05.thumb.jpg.3f4f098a37fd42ba3b240806732cb08c.jpg

216th_Cat
4 hours ago, =FB=VikS said:

Not sure about that - but frontline photos indicate that these hatches where left opened:

I'd expect them to be open on the ground whilst the plane was undergoing maintenance. Unfortunately, decent photos of the underside in flight are, understandably, as rare as hen's teeth and I haven't been able to find any with the covers closed. It may have been an individual thing; depending on whether anyone really needed the empty shell cases, if not they let them fall out. What we can say is that they were designed to be closed in flight - an odd little detail. Cheers.

That is some really great information being posted!

It makes me ask a question... a long time ago in a book store I glanced at a book briefly but failed to buy it. It mentioned a number of experimental gun pods and rocket armaments that had been considered for the Hs-129. Perhaps most interesting, it mention a proposal to arm it with two oblique downward firing Mk-103 cannons, each with 30 rounds (capable of penetrating the roof armour of essentially all tanks). Does anyone know what book this was? Does anyone have the info?

1 hour ago, Avimimus said:

That is some really great information being posted!

It makes me ask a question... a long time ago in a book store I glanced at a book briefly but failed to buy it. It mentioned a number of experimental gun pods and rocket armaments that had been considered for the Hs-129. Perhaps most interesting, it mention a proposal to arm it with two oblique downward firing Mk-103 cannons, each with 30 rounds (capable of penetrating the roof armour of essentially all tanks). Does anyone know what book this was? Does anyone have the info?

Probably Hs 129 Panzerjaeger! by Martin Pegg

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/31/2020 at 11:11 PM, LukeFF said:

Probably Hs 129 Panzerjaeger! by Martin Pegg

Thanks! I tracked down a copy! It is pretty close - it confirms the 2xMk-103 proposal... which helps me reassure myself that I'm wasn't dreaming. :)

However, it clearly isn't the same book. It says the 2xMk-103 cannons were movable in traverse, but I'm pretty sure the book I read had them movable in elevation. Also, there was a wind-tunnel model photograph that isn't in Mr. Pegg's book, and there was a copy of a table which had additional gunpod possibilities (I think 2xMg131 with 500 rounds per gun, 4xMg131 with 250rpg and a 2xMg151 gunpod)... and this table doesn't appear to be in the book. So the mystery remains!

• 4 months later...
Sybreed
Posted (edited)

Bumping this thread again. I started a HS-129 career and it's a very fun plane to fly. But, shooting your 30mm along with your machine guns is still very annoying and makes it hard to see if your shots hit correctly.

Would it be possible to program a button in-game so that it is strickly related to the 30mm on the hs-129? A bit like how some planes have dedicated buttons for radiators and whatnot?

Edited by Sybreed
  • Upvote 1
LuseKofte

Thus plane is excellent to fly and one of those I scored kills on attacking planes zooming past me on servers.

I get your point, but to me it would be better if you do this:

Many things with this sim is simplified,  but when it comes to keybinding it all need to be authentic. Forcing you to use keyboard or get more panels. 

They should make all oil/water/pitch on all planes put on axis / hotas. Kept old il 2 weapon numbers. And you should be able to make a keybinding profile for all planes. 

But this has been asked about since day one back in 2012

• 1 month later...
Venturi

Hello,

This plane is interesting, underpowered, limited on weaponry, and very important to the eastern front battles in 1942-44. I really enjoy flying it.

But, and this is probably no surprise to you, there is a MAJOR issue with using this plane in its historical role.

With 30 or 80 rounds of ammunition, every shot counts for the big mk103 or mk108 cannons. And it's simply impossible to see where the shots land. Reason? Because the much faster firing machine guns are slaved to the same trigger. And they throw up a huge dust cloud, obscuring the target completely, so I can't see where my precious armor-piercing ammo is flying.

All this while dodging AAA fire and fighters. All that effort to get to and survive the combat zone in this bird, and I can't even see where my bullets are landing, AND THERE'S A SWITCH ON THE DASH TO TURN OFF THE MG17S! So frustrating.

This has been known for some time. There has been talk that there is some big problems with trying to fix this. I DON'T CARE. The plane is simply unusable in it's tank busting role.

I can think of many solutions, such as a creating a switch to turn off the Mg17s, or just anything to unslave the big gun from the others. The dust cloud the Mgs cause just makes finding where you're hitting impossible. You're already trying to hit a tiny target from the air.

It breaks this plane. It really frustrates and ruins the experience. Please fix.

Thank you.

• Upvote 7
Hajo_Garlic

Even if there was a mod to remove the mg17s that would be nice. Sadly I wouldnt expect anything to be fixed here. To me, this is more important than the dvd or the plane codes which I will virtually never notice except when taxiing and landing but to each their own I guess. 

• Upvote 2
Blutaar
Posted (edited)
On 12/10/2018 at 1:30 AM, Jade_Monkey said:

There are only two fire groups in the game at the moment, they made a choice. It's not broken, they just made a design choice.

Wouldnt it be possible to make the rocket button also fire the MK101/103? I mean the Hs 129 has no rockets so it would make sense.

Edited by Blutaar
  • Upvote 1
Venturi

They can also make a choice to fix a plane-breaking issue.

Jade_Monkey
2 hours ago, Blutaar said:

Wouldnt it be possible to make the rocket button also fire the MK101/103? I mean the Hs 129 has no rockets so it would make sense.

You can map rockets and the fire group 2 to the same button but you can't do it only for the Mk103/101, it has to be for all group 2 for all planes, including other planes with rockets and separate group 2 armament like the IL2, Yak1, etc...

There is now a Fire group 3 that was created for a Flying circus plane (dolphin?) but it has not been implemented for the Hs129. IF that was done, then you could carry your plan fairly successfully.

• Upvote 2
Retrofly

I'd just like to throw my hat into the ring and state its something I've been waiting for for a while. So frustrating to fly as Venturi said.

Dragon1-1

I agree, now that we have three fire groups, the big gun on the Duck should be booted to the 3rd one. It does work nicely when double-bound with the rocket trigger, since neither Hs 129 nor Sopwitch Dolphin can carry rockets.

LukeFF
9 hours ago, Dragon1-1 said:

I agree, now that we have three fire groups, the big gun on the Duck should be booted to the 3rd one. It does work nicely when double-bound with the rocket trigger, since neither Hs 129 nor Sopwitch Dolphin can carry rockets.

But that's not the way the firing groups were ordered on the Hs 129. It had two firing groups - one for the gunpod and another for the fuselage guns. So, moving the gunpod to weapon group 3 wouldn't solve anything.

• Upvote 1
Sybreed
6 hours ago, LukeFF said:

But that's not the way the firing groups were ordered on the Hs 129. It had two firing groups - one for the gunpod and another for the fuselage guns. So, moving the gunpod to weapon group 3 wouldn't solve anything.

I thought it had some kind of "weapon selector" switch? 

Jade_Monkey
18 minutes ago, Sybreed said:

That was my understanding as well (based on what others said, no research on my end 🙃)

LukeFF
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Sybreed said:

2 hours ago, Jade_Monkey said:

That was my understanding as well (based on what others said, no research on my end 🙃)

Yes, it had a weapon selector switch between Group 1 and Group 2, and also for all guns. 

Edited by LukeFF
ZachariasX

And why doesn‘t group 1 just fire the gunpod and group 2 all other guns, regradless of what guns were added to respective locations?

• Upvote 3
Dragon1-1
14 hours ago, LukeFF said:

Well, it would solve the problem with MGs firing with the gunpod. However, if the actual aircraft had one trigger for all fuselage guns, then they should all be bound to it, like on the FW-190.

TBH, Il-2 could do with a gun selector button. I think there are cases where you want to only fire the MGs or the cannons on the FW-190, and the real plane had ways of doing that.

Asgar
16 hours ago, LukeFF said:

but for ingame purposes that would still be better than having to fire the fuselage MGs together with the gunpod.

• Upvote 1
Venturi

It has a selector for turning off the MGs and cannon on the dash. It is a manual arming switch. Just like on the 4x mg151 190s, where you can select the outer wing cannon to be on or off (oh snap).

Then when you press the trigger, you get what you want to fire.

That is what the toggles are near the ammo counters.

(one is for the entire weapons safe/armed)

JG27_PapaFly
On 11/5/2018 at 6:10 AM, Sybreed said:

I tried to search the forums and only saw threads that said the devs would "fix it". The problem being that when you shoot the 30 mm auto cannon, you also shoot the machine guns because they're on the same group.

I tried the plane tonight and it seems it's still an issue. Or perhaps I'm doing something wrong? Thx for clarifying

this issue had bugged me since my first flight in the HS. This plane is all about killing tanks, and having those machine guns interfering with my aiming makes this plane a lot less

fun.

Heck, even an optional loadout with empty machine guns would be  better than what we have now.

LukeFF
13 hours ago, ZachariasX said:

And why doesn‘t group 1 just fire the gunpod and group 2 all other guns, regradless of what guns were added to respective locations?

It goes back to the way things were coded when the Hs 129 was built.

8 hours ago, Asgar said:

but for ingame purposes that would still be better than having to fire the fuselage MGs together with the gunpod.

Sure, but it's still ultimately a half-solution that doesn't really solve the problem.

Avimimus
32 minutes ago, LukeFF said:

Sure, but it's still ultimately a half-solution that doesn't really solve the problem.

Doesn't the saying go: "The perfect is the enemy of the good?"

There are a lot of historical examples of that :)

Asgar
15 hours ago, LukeFF said:

i mean, ultimately the problem for the players is having to fire the 30mm gunpod in combination with the MGs. Putting the gunpod on fire group 3 does fix the problem for the player. it might not fix the coding that made it hard to get the perfect implementation of swappable MGs plus the gunpods on the 129, but it DOES fix the problem for the end user. Just my two cents as someone who likes tank busting ;)

• Upvote 2