Sign in to follow this  
F/JG300_Faucon

Level flight with one engine out on Hs129

Hello, 

I was wondering, everytime I had an engine out on that aircraft, it was impossible to maintain a level flight (most of the time I'm loaded with the Mk103 and ~40% fuel, so not so heavy).

First question: Did anyone succeded in it (maintain a level flight for a long time)? 

Second: I'm of course wondering how it was IRL.

Edited by F/JG300_Faucon

i'm just making this my go to girl and no, single engine has been an exercise in bailing out or belly landing.

15 minutes ago, hrafnkolbrandr said:

Remember, each engine only puts out like 700 horsepower or something.

... in emergency power ! Combat power is only 580hp at sea level.

No wonders it wants to hug the squirrels everytime something goes wrong. (Such a sensitive plane !)

Same experience, very hard to stay level with a single engine. Maybe up to a minute until you use any energy you had left.

I seem to remember something about the Hs129s single engine handling being not very good at all. Can't remember if that was with the prototype or with the B-2 production. I suspect it's single engine capable only in the best of circumstances. Put some battle damage, hang a MK101 or 103 off the bottom, and you're in a tricky spot.

Level flight is still possible with one engine with combat power even with MK103. But of course it's harder with full fuel and ammo load, so you'll be better off just dumping all the ammo immediately.

And you need to feather the propeller of the damaged engine. And try to maneuver as little as possible and keep atleast ~230 km/h IAS, otherwise the engine that's still running might overheat and then it's time to bail out or crash land.

5 minutes ago, Matt said:

Level flight is still possible with one engine with combat power even with MK103. But of course it's harder with full fuel and ammo load, so you'll be better off just dumping all the ammo immediately.

And you need to feather the propeller of the damaged engine. And try to maneuver as little as possible and keep atleast ~230 km/h IAS, otherwise the engine that's still running might overheat and then it's time to bail out or crash land.

Using full rich, even intermittently, will help with the overheat.  It will slow you down more so it is a balancing act.

On 11/4/2018 at 11:57 AM, Matt said:

I bent the propeller (so no feathering) and was still able to keep this bird in the air for 4-5 minutes and land. I still had lots of Mk103 ammo left and at the end I had gear-down which slowed me down to about 200km/h. The Duck is more resilient than it gets credit for. I attach the replay.

_HS129_Winter__tree_strike_limping_to_base_on_one_engine.zip

You can feather the Bent propeller on all steel blades ingame with feathering (twins) and it still works to reduce drag as they still turn flat into wind this is evident by the ball moving as it feathers and retrim required.

Some reason even feathering Shattered wooden props on the He111 still works to reduce drag even with only 10% of blades left.
But thats no shock considering.

Edited by =TBAS=Sshadow14

F.Y.I. make sure that you understand and use the techniques described in these Requiem videos to give you the best chance when flying with a dead engine on a twin (although it's not always possible to avoid descent, you can minimize it):

Principles #13 - Multi-Engine Basics

Principles #14 - Multi-Engine Advanced

Edited by JimTM

9 hours ago, =TBAS=Sshadow14 said:

You can feather the Bent propeller on all steel blades ingame with feathering (twins) and it still works to reduce drag as they still turn flat into wind this is evident by the ball moving as it feathers and retrim required.

Some reason even feathering Shattered wooden props on the He111 still works to reduce drag even with only 10% of blades left.
But thats no shock considering.

There are a lot of ghost drag features on the Heinkel. Starting by opening the bomb bay doors with two belly-strapped bombs !