Sign in to follow this  
1_Robert_

Rift questions after a few months off

I took a few months off and tried flying again today. I notice I have a couple issues. 

1) I can’t seem to run il2 without launching Oculus 1st. Before I would just launch il2 and it would launch steam vr. No need to run oculus before and can I set it up that way again?

2) I now have no sound in my headset. It works fine flying DCS but for some reason I don’t have it in my headset in il2. 

Any thoughts? Thx!

#1 - Oculus software has been updated to the newer Rift Core 2.0 software. Not possible to run the headset any longer  without Oculus Home running. It does fade out to gray when game is launched, I do not see any performance difference with it. I just minimize it to tray after it launches.

Can't answer on #2 other than to say check and make sure your audio is set to the Rift headphone prior to launching the game.

Edited by dburne

8 hours ago, dburne said:

#1 - Oculus software has been updated to the newer Rift Core 2.0 software. Not possible to run the headset any longer  without Oculus Home running. It does fade out to gray when game is launched, I do not see any performance difference with it. I just minimize it to tray after it launches.

Can't answer on #2 other than to say check and make sure your audio is set to the Rift headphone prior to launching the game.

Thanks for the reply. I found the audio problem in my steam VR settings. Not sure why the settings were changed..

Edited by 1_Robert_

11 hours ago, 1_Robert_ said:

Thanks for the reply. I found the audio problem in my steam VR settings. Not sure why the settings were changed..

:good:

I so dislike Steam. If not for IL-2 requiring Steam VR it would not be on my system.

• Upvote 1

Hi gents.  
Seeing that there is already this  thread on the VR I'm going to ask you for a little help. 
That said, I have the problem that although the graphics are quite fluid, the planes that pass in front of me produce the ghost effect  (more than ghost is like if you saw the plane double, as one after another), also the bars of the cockpit when I move the head quickly from side to side. 

Thanks in advance for your help.
My rig: 
CPU: I7 5820K at 3.6 
RAM: 16g  2133Mhz. 
GPU: GTX1080Ti

Also say that after a new installation of Windows I decided not to install Steam and run IL-2 through OpenComposite.
It works perfectly!

4 hours ago, 15[Span.]/JG51Costa said:

I'm not exactly familiar with that CPU, but if you can overclock it that will help a lot with IL2. Additionally, IL2 doesn't need a lot of CPU threads, so you could disable hyperthreading if it helps your overclock. For overclocking you need AVX stability -- Prime95 will let you test that.

I would also suggest overclocking the RAM if you can, even to 2400mhz will help. 

In-game I would use Balanced settings, Medium shadows, simple mirror, 100km landscape distance. These are all CPU-related settings.

Your GPU is strong, so you can probably use 4x AA in game as well as some Rift supersample, maybe 1.2 pixel density in the Oculus Tray Tool.

Good luck!

Hi Alonzo.

CPU is already at 3.6 boosted and I don´t know how far can I overclock it. I´m not familiarized in it.

RAM is already at maximum MHz that the CPU allows.

Thank you very much for your recommendations.

I will try the settings you recommend me.

Thanks again.

15(Span.)/JG51 Costa

14 hours ago, 15[Span.]/JG51Costa said:

Hi Alonzo.

CPU is already at 3.6 boosted and I don´t know how far can I overclock it. I´m not familiarized in it.

RAM is already at maximum MHz that the CPU allows.

Thank you very much for your recommendations.

I will try the settings you recommend me.

Thanks again.

15(Span.)/JG51 Costa

3.6 is stock boost isn't it? I see people pushing that CPU to 4.4 and even 4.5, so you have a lot to go on cpu wise:)

Edit: I even see some of the best samples running at 4.7. It seems an average sample should be able to do 4.5ghz on around 1.3v. I see people are having issues with dynamic mode though at these clocks so a static 4.5 may be the way to go.

Edited by kissklas
Update

21 hours ago, 15[Span.]/JG51Costa said:

Hi gents.  
Seeing that there is already this  thread on the VR I'm going to ask you for a little help. 
That said, I have the problem that although the graphics are quite fluid, the planes that pass in front of me produce the ghost effect  (more than ghost is like if you saw the plane double, as one after another), also the bars of the cockpit when I move the head quickly from side to side. 

Thanks in advance for your help.
My rig: 

Also say that after a new installation of Windows I decided not to install Steam and run IL-2 through OpenComposite.
It works perfectly!

I'm having the exact problem

CPU: I7 6700K at 4.0

Ram 16g

GPU: GTX 1070

It's a few weeks sins last i played IL2, so not shure whats updatet sins last time. Not IL2. But mabe some steam or oculus uptdate?

I have never been happy whit the performence of il2 in vr. But at least I normaly get 40-45 fps in vr. And It most of the time feel  smooth and nice.

One week ago I boutht the spitfire, and wontet to play. But instantly noticed what JG51 Costa said. Ghost effect, and extremely poorer performance. When I meet singel enemy fps down in the 20... fps. Ghost effect and terible performance.

I have changed none settings ingame beforhand. But today I testetd a few things, and eaven If I drasticly lower graphic settings, no go, still same low fps and ghosting when meeting enemy.

Can some plz advise on this, unplayable as is :(

The ghosting is from the headset not receiving a high enough frame rate, lower your settings, try turning ASW off.

Like you can see in my answer above, I did test to lower settings. And Yes that gave me higher fps. But when flying close to other planes and looking at them, the frame instantly drop from 40-50 fps to 15. Same result whit low settings as it is whit high settings.

Like I also did say, this has never happened before. So a lower settings answer do not really answer anything, even if it had workt, something that it did not. But thank you for the ASW tip, that did help on the FPS. But had no effect on the problem when getting close to other planes.

I have my problem in a few different places on the forum, so far, no one have helpt more then a "lower" settings tips :( . Not complaining and glad for everyone trying to help, even the "lower" settings tips. If it had help, I would have been super happy.

So I have my own theories. I think a new optdate in steam vr or Oculus is to blame.  I play IL2 in steam, with a oculus rift. In some games this is not a good combination. So today, I'm uninstalling IL2 in steam, and download the installer directly from this page, and hoping that this will be a better solution for "this" Oculus rift user.

One more thing. My FPS have never been better then around 40 fps. Most of the time that number is constant, and that is good enough for me, and I have never complained about it. But reading on this forum, I get the distinct feeling that most people gets much better fps on similar hardware?

I have I7 6700 K 4.0 ghz

GTX 1070

and 16 gig ram. 

2 hours ago, GrinderX9 said:

Like you can see in my answer above, I did test to lower settings. And Yes that gave me higher fps. But when flying close to other planes and looking at them, the frame instantly drop from 40-50 fps to 15. Same result whit low settings as it is whit high settings.

Like I also did say, this has never happened before. So a lower settings answer do not really answer anything, even if it had workt, something that it did not. But thank you for the ASW tip, that did help on the FPS. But had no effect on the problem when getting close to other planes.

I have my problem in a few different places on the forum, so far, no one have helpt more then a "lower" settings tips :( . Not complaining and glad for everyone trying to help, even the "lower" settings tips. If it had help, I would have been super happy.

So I have my own theories. I think a new optdate in steam vr or Oculus is to blame.  I play IL2 in steam, with a oculus rift. In some games this is not a good combination. So today, I'm uninstalling IL2 in steam, and download the installer directly from this page, and hoping that this will be a better solution for "this" Oculus rift user.

One more thing. My FPS have never been better then around 40 fps. Most of the time that number is constant, and that is good enough for me, and I have never complained about it. But reading on this forum, I get the distinct feeling that most people gets much better fps on similar hardware?

I have I7 6700 K 4.0 ghz

GTX 1070

and 16 gig ram. 

Something certainly sounds amiss there - I would think you would get somewhat better fps on your rig.

Some things to try:

Set SS in Steam VR to manual, and at 100%.

Later after getting performance up some, you can look at assigning a SS setting in Oculus Tray Tool, or in the Oculus Debug tool.

Download latest Nvidia drivers.

Uninstall your Nvidia graphics drivers using DDU (Display Driver Uninstaller) in safe mode. Also unplug your internet whilst doing so. Leave it unplugged until after you have the new drivers installed.

After re-booting the PC ( with internet still disconnected), install the new drivers. Install only the driver, and PhysX. None of that other stuff, especially not GeForce Experience.

After installing the above, re-connect internet and re-boot the PC one more time.

In Nvidia Control Panel, change your Global Power Plan from the default of "Optimal" to "Prefer Maximum Performance" and hit apply.

No other changes in Nvidia Control Panel.

Now run the game and see what you have. No HDR or SSAO, no mirrors. No more than 2x AA. Try Balanced Preset first - if decent and playable try High and see what you get.

Also,  if you could overclock that 6700k to around 4.5 GHz that would help some also.

Edited by dburne

Your GPU is pretty much the same as mine and we both have 6700k, although mine is OC'ed to 4.5GHz. You should be able to get 4.5Ghz from your CPU, even on air cooling.

These are mine settings for VR:

ANCnOWs.jpg

They won't give me 90fps in every situation but it's enough for less complex missions. 

PS. Some say you can get smoother experience if you convince yourself that what you see is fine. You even will be able to crank your settings up to ULTRA and still enjoy it. Only that bloody ghosting...

Edited by marklar
formatting

you should lower screen resolution if not needed that high and activate 4k Textures, it helps with a lot of little issues and doesnt really affect performance, esp. on your 980ti

2 hours ago, marklar said:

Your GPU is pretty much the same as mine and we both have 6700k, although mine is OC'ed to 4.5GHz. You should be able to get 4.5Ghz from your CPU, even on air cooling.

These are mine settings for VR:

They won't give me 90fps in every situation but it's enough for less complex missions. 

PS. Some say you can get smoother experience if you convince yourself that what you see is fine. You even will be able to crank your settings up to ULTRA and still enjoy it. Only that bloody ghosting...

I'd give upping some of those settings a try, especially now, try balanced, 100km draw distance, 4k textures, shadows on medium, think you can pull it off with that card. It's the same as my 1070 was and I was getting alright frame rates before those last few patches that killed performance. I've tried the low settings last patch and honestly the game looks god awful.

Edited by 15th_JonRedcorn

2 hours ago, marklar said:

These are mine settings for VR.

As others have said, you should enable 4K textures. Due to some bug in the game enabling 4K textures actually *reduces* stuttering, so it's basically a free performance boost. The 980ti has 6GB VRAM so you'll be fine with 4K textures (I think I measured my card at like 3GB VRAM usage, and that's with some supersampling enabled).