Jump to content
dburne

Oculus Plans a Modest Update to Rift ( Here we go again)

Recommended Posts

https://techcrunch.com/2018/10/31/after-canceling-rift-2-overhaul-oculus-plans-a-modest-update-to-flagship-vr-headset/?guccounter=1

 

TechCrunch seems to apparently continue to have some insider information on what Oculus plans are...

 

I don't doubt that they may be considering releasing an incremental upgrade to Rift sooner, with competition being what it is and all. But not all that sure of this 

cancellation reporting of their original plans for a second gen Rift. Seems to me Oculus has invested a lot already into some of the new tech ( Half Dome ).

The truth is probably there somewhere in between.

Edited by dburne

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For a moment I thought they were updating the current CV1 Rift.

I noticed they didn't use the word 'upgrade'. The new version in PC games will be "less accurate" according to Oculus.

Any idea where Iribe is headed? I liked the direction he was going with PC based VR.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Gordon200 said:

For a moment I thought they were updating the current CV1 Rift.

I noticed they didn't use the word 'upgrade'. The new version in PC games will be "less accurate" according to Oculus.

Any idea where Iribe is headed? I liked the direction he was going with PC based VR.

 

That would be a mistake. One of the very strong features of the Oculus Rift is the incredible Constellation tracking system.

It does a great job in tracking head  and hand movement. Hard to believe they would even think about abandoning one of the strongest

features in their flagship product.

 

If they are considering pushing out a modest update to Rift I hope they don't really screw it up by dropping some of the best features of the original Rift.

Edited by dburne
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, dburne said:

 

That would be a mistake. One of the very strong features of the Oculus Rift is the incredible Constellation tracking system.

It does a great job in tracking head  and hand movement. Hard to believe they would even think about abandoning one of the strongest

features in their flagship product.

 

If they are considering pushing out a modest update to Rift I hope they don't really screw it up by dropping some of the best features of the original Rift.

Kind of agree with you Don. However, maybe they are looking at a 'hacked' Quest with PC tethering? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Such a possibility has been mentioned by some Oculus developers, can't remember who exactly but I saw it first hand. I'd actually be fine with such a thing. My brief time with the Samsung Odyssey gave no real issues with tracking and the biggest thing I want in a new headset is resolution + reduced god rays. I'd also like a FoV bump, but to me resolution is of paramount importance. I'm not in the market for a new headset yet though. If I were, I'd be looking hard at the Pimax 5k.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good article on possibilities with an updated Rift ( Rift S ?).

https://uploadvr.com/5-things-we-want-from-oculus-rift-s/

 

I do however have mixed feelings on a possible change from constellation to inside out tracking for this next version.

Especially now with the new Virtual Link Ports on the 20x cards, plugging everything in and having it work quite well is so easy.

 

But maybe with their Insight tracking they can get it to where it is just as good.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Referring to the upcoming Pimax 5K in another posting here- I am seriously thinking of a change away from Oculus,since a real upgrade seems like a non-starter this coming year.It will take a big investment 7 the new 2080 graphics card but for better clarity it seems to be worth it.Any opinions?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Blitzen said:

Referring to the upcoming Pimax 5K in another posting here- I am seriously thinking of a change away from Oculus,since a real upgrade seems like a non-starter this coming year.It will take a big investment 7 the new 2080 graphics card but for better clarity it seems to be worth it.Any opinions?

 

Samsung's Odyssey Plus is on sale for $299. Inside out tracking, high resolution, anti screen door tech, wide field of vision. Check for system requirements at bottom of linked page.

https://www.samsung.com/us/computing/hmd/windows-mixed-reality/hmd-odyssey-windows-mixed-reality-headset-xe800zba-hc1us/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Blitzen said:

Referring to the upcoming Pimax 5K in another posting here- I am seriously thinking of a change away from Oculus,since a real upgrade seems like a non-starter this coming year.It will take a big investment 7 the new 2080 graphics card but for better clarity it seems to be worth it.Any opinions?

 

 

There's "talk" of Oculus changing things to now possibly an update to the Rift in 2019.

Time will tell.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, dburne said:

 

There's "talk" of Oculus changing things to now possibly an update to the Rift in 2019.

Time will tell.

Hmmm...I 've heard it will be a smallish upgrade...

3 hours ago, Gordon200 said:

Samsung's Odyssey Plus is on sale for $299. Inside out tracking, high resolution, anti screen door tech, wide field of vision. Check for system requirements at bottom of linked page.

https://www.samsung.com/us/computing/hmd/windows-mixed-reality/hmd-odyssey-windows-mixed-reality-headset-xe800zba-hc1us/

This looks great and fits into my price options.reviews were good too.I wonder if it will be necessary to but the new nvidea card as well to get the most out of this Samsung VR?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Blitzen said:

This looks great and fits into my price options.reviews were good too.I wonder if it will be necessary to but the new nvidea card as well to get the most out of this Samsung VR?

I have been running my Oculus Rift on a 1070 with very good performance. As always, your mileage may vary. My target fps is 60 set on High with sharpen and 4K enabled, 1.0 gamma and 70km draw. Image has good enough detail to read small print on gauges but there is a noticeable screen door effect when trying to spot targets. That is why I'm going for the Odyssey+ now rather than wait another six or nine months for Oculus to make a move.

The headset I ordered is scheduled to be delivered Saturday afternoon. It's plug and play. No need to download a hefty program like Oculus. Odyssey operates off Microsoft Mixed Reality already on your computer if you are running Win10.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Gordon200 said:

Samsung's Odyssey Plus is on sale for $299. Inside out tracking, high resolution, anti screen door tech, wide field of vision. Check for system requirements at bottom of linked page.

https://www.samsung.com/us/computing/hmd/windows-mixed-reality/hmd-odyssey-windows-mixed-reality-headset-xe800zba-hc1us/

 

Odyssey and Odyssey + have same FOV as Rift and Vive.

110 degrees.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is the Samsung HMD headset wireless? ALSO:Will this new product require the newest Graphic Card to get the best out of it?

Thanks!

Edited by Blitzen
Additional question.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Blitzen said:

Is the Samsung HMD headset wireless? ALSO:Will this new product require the newest Graphic Card to get the best out of it?

Thanks!

 

Samsung HMD is wired and they don't have any wireless option for it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...