Sign in to follow this  
smink1701

Feb 7 Update - First Impressions

Waw I am so impressed by the new update. Now Stalingrad is slowly coming to life with 88 mm Flak, better smoke and nice looking buildings. And I really like the Motion blur effect..... very cinematic and much better than I would have hoped for.

BOS is already my new love.........ROF might be very jealous now since I have to date that BOS now too :happy:

Has anyone managed to destroy an AAA yet?!

Smoke hits FPS but not too bad....

Had one go ka blamo from a canon shot...

Interestingly, my throttle input seems to have linked itself to my rudder input instead of my throttle quadrant. The throttle is at 50% when the rudder is centered and at either 0 or 100% when the rudders are deflected left and right. Makes for some er, interesting antics :wacko: . Tried reassigning to no avail.

Oh,Oh

i just replaced a joystick (Thrustmaster 3D) for that 2?? updates ago  :(  :(

Hopefully in your case its a bug

It's just an animation bug, maddysad. The controls still work as they should so you can still fly just fine.

In my original post I should have said that it would make for some interesting antics. When I saw the rudder inputs moving the throttle lever (in cockpit) I didn't bother trying to fly the thing. My mistake.

Edited by Rivet

Had one go ka blamo from a canon shot...

Ok thanks, I've got pretty good at picking off trucks, but just could not hit any AAA at all after 3 missions!  in one mission I seemed to destroy ammo crates next to the 88 but still the damn thing kept firing!

Will try again tomorrow....

For some reason my throttle axis now moves the propeller pitch rocker on the 109's throttle lever and the rudder moves the throttle lever it self... Everything still works fine but the animations seem mixed up. Am I the only one?

Edited by IonicRipper

I have to say, the improved spotting range is pretty great. Even amongst flak bursts, the planes are quite visible. Thank you very much 1C/777 team.

Edited by [JG2]Creepermoss

I have to say, the improved spotting range is pretty great. Even amongst flak bursts, the planes are quite visible. Thank you very much 1C/777 team.

+1 Spotting range is lovely.  :salute: MJ

Ok thanks, I've got pretty good at picking off trucks, but just could not hit any AAA at all after 3 missions!  in one mission I seemed to destroy ammo crates next to the 88 but still the damn thing kept firing!

Will try again tomorrow....

Haha no need to keep trying. At this point it seems like they are undestructible.

Yes, no problem with canons and I have also taken out several with rockets. This is the first time I have actually hit anything with the rockets.

That smoke is GORGEOUS! It definitely needs some fine tuning, though. My framerate is halved over Stalingrad. Even Lapino eats more frames. Anyone else experiencing just a general decrease in performance? The hit on the Lapino map is small but pesky nonetheless.

Oh, and those icons! Fantastic!

Definitely had a drop in frame rate with the new smoke when flying towards it, but in reality it's not that bad. I can still get down in the weeds on strafing runs as before, smooth as silk. I notice the drop mainly when approaching Stalingrad heading into all the smoke. I'm on balanced setting with 60 on the fps limiter and vsync on.

Edited by pilotpierre

First impressions here:

- Big FPS impact with new smoke, even when playing Balanced...don't know how it will be when more objects will be spawned over the city  :( 

Those few spots burning with such huge smoke cloud might be too much IMO. I think i'd prefer more small ones all over town.

- Big plane spotting improvment!   :cool:  Great job devs, you deserve some Champagne! (or Vodka, sorry...)

- Lagg and 109 are less bouncy when flying. I see it when making small adjustments in my aiming. That's better :cool: 

- AAA looks good! :cool:  

- Graphical issue as others mentioned already, with the 109 throttle  :(

- Radio sound issue in 109. Can't hear the guy talking.  :(

All in all, pretty good update, except the FPS drop over Stalingrad.

• Upvote 1

First impressions here:

- Big FPS impact with new smoke, even when playing Balanced...don't know how it will be when more objects will be spawned over the city  :(

Those few spots burning with such huge smoke cloud might be too much IMO. I think i'd prefer more small ones all over town.

- Big plane spotting improvment!   :cool:  Great job devs, you deserve some Champagne! (or Vodka, sorry...)

- Lagg and 109 are less bouncy when flying. I see it when making small adjustments in my aiming. That's better :cool:

- AAA looks good! :cool:

- Graphical issue as others mentioned already, with the 109 throttle  :(

- Radio sound issue in 109. Can't hear the guy talking.  :(

All in all, pretty good update, except the FPS drop over Stalingrad.

I am seeing the same performance hit, however it is staying smooth for me - as long as I keep my frame rates locked at 60fps.

Interestingly, the Lagg seems more bouncy to me with this update, than the last update.

Another thing (I don't know why I didn't see it before and noone else mentioned it) the minimap seems to have been more or less completed with correct zoom level, new icons and crisp visuals.

Same here, running BoS an an Acer Aspire with only less than 2 GB (NVidia GT 540M) and 8 GB DDR3 RAM. Still pretty good looking while running rather smooth on "Balanced" with VSync on.

Tried to hit the AA on the ground but (also) to no result. Maybe it is me and how bad I am at aiming, maybe destructable AA will be implemented later?

Hi,

managed to hit soviet AAA with cannon and MG and got nice explosions with secondaries but the gun itself survived, perhaps it is set as indestructible.

The icons on the guns never vanished like they do when the trucks are destroyed.

Also fps hit over Stalingrad, down to ~20-25 where i previously had ~35-38, but it looks gorgeous.

AAA is also very nice, really good job :)

Seems the 109 with bomb racks ( 250kg) is now a little bit faster, last week i had a practical max speed of 485km/h, this week i'm up to ~500-505 km/h but still slower than the Lagg 3 with bombs, 37mm + 2x100kg ~515 km/h. Did the bomb racks really took so much away from the top speed?

And it seems the 250kg and especially the 50kg bombs do very little damage, was never able to kill a tank with one of the 50kg and i have to be very close with the 250kg to kill a tank.

BTW, is it possible to fly through the framings( right word ?!?) of destroyed factories? My plane always explodes if i try and i'm sure i didn't hit the structure.

S!

The new smoke has a big impact in FPS and does not look that great at close range. It kind of rotates with you showing the same side of itself to you. Reminds me of the sprite graphics back in 80's ;) AAA emplacements seem to be indestructible at the moment, but as they were newly implemented = WIP. Another thing is that they keep firing at you even you land back at base so "radar vision" like in original IL-2 :rolleyes: Accuracy is not that good though so I would expect it to get more dangerous with more of them in a smaller area and Russians did deploy a lot of AAA. Another thing that I will check on AAA over the testing is it's tracking speed and how the guns move. Also the rate of fire, those were reloaded by humans, not machines ;)

Otherwise the game ran smoothly without issues so far. A bit too busy to play much, but trying to :)

Edited by LLv34_Flanker
  • Upvote 1

Impressions? First the good:

Stalingrad looks very good now with the improved smoke and AAA.
Spotting distance is much improved. Thank you.
Icons look good.

The not so good:
Performance. Since the introduction of presets, I started out playing on High settings. That was later reduced to Balanced for tracking smoothness and this update has now reduced me to Low settings.

With these settings (Low) I can fly over Stalingrad quite smoothly with 4x AA and V-Sync on at 1920 x 1200 resolution. I get anywhere between 19 and 58 fps. Obviously the 19 fps is close to the smoke or flying through it. Head tracking is reasonably smooth with only minor stutters. Anything above Low with head tracking (TIR etc) is unplayable for me. Without using head tracking (not going to happen) I could probably play on balanced settings well enough.

Balanced settings give high 20's to mid 30fps over Stalingrad which I could get away with - but the head tracking stutters increase which make it an unpleasant experience. I tried High settings for a giggle and I was lucky to make one pass over Stalingrad without throwing up. There was no point in trying Ultra of course.

I have motion blur turned off as I personally find it nauseous, unrealistic and irritating.

On another note, it seems that the flight models might have been tweaked a bit. I now find the 109 very much more twitchy and much easier to get into a spin. In fact it's almost impossible to aim at an enemy aircraft when the thing is wallowing around like a dying goldfish if I so much as look at the joystick. Also the effects of negative and positive G seem to have been increased. So combat is very much spray and pray for me. It may just be me but I can't remember it being that bad last time around.  

Summary:

Looks great. Particularly Stalingrad, it's just amazing. However my rig struggles at anything above Low settings. At this rate I soon won't be able to play at all unless I throw another £300 - £400 at another GPU.

GTX260 minimum specs? Good luck with that. I think I still have one of those somewhere.

On another note, it seems that the flight models might have been tweaked a bit. I now find the 109 very much more twitchy and much easier to get into a spin. In fact it's almost impossible to aim at an enemy aircraft when the thing is wallowing around like a dying goldfish if I so much as look at the joystick. Also the effects of negative and positive G seem to have been increased. So combat is very much spray and pray for me. It may just be me but I can't remember it being that bad last time around.  

I have been wondering about these myself. Just going to try with little tweaked joystick settings to see if that makes any difference. And l also have the same impression about G forces.

Well guys i think the performance hit you're posting about looks rather scary for anybody who doesn't have unlimited budget for a new pc  :(

I hope it will be improved

Spotting is downright amazing. I can see the plane clearly 3 km out, and make out its wings and the direction it is turning too. This beats spotting dots by so far, and feels very real to me. This is very good indeed and I appreciate it a lot.

I did not notice much of a performance hit running BOS by itself, but when I turned on DXstory, a screen recording tool, I noticed my given framerate recorded had gone from say 20-15 ish, and that the recording tended to crash (not bos problem, probably dxstory). But I can run the game on highest graphics and with trackir smoothly, so maybe more ram could help? I have a 2 year old pc that was not built for sims.

Edited by kongxinga

Another thing (I don't know why I didn't see it before and noone else mentioned it) the minimap seems to have been more or less completed with correct zoom level, new icons and crisp visuals.

Yes, I like the new maps too.

Who remenber the start of IL-2 Sturmovik in 2001 to 2010? How many "new" videocards/Hi end processors... all for the dream fly "Perfect mode"...  Is the price of evolution, but the nice landscapes and effects worth, i love too BOS planes shine and want send congratulations for the 3D work, the BOS planes are very well done.  

For help conrades: www.tomshardware.com is a site were you can find good hints about select the best for money computer parts, with comparison charts, built a computer or improve it, overclocks, etc... 

I did not notice much of a performance hit running BOS by itself, but when I turned on DXstory, a screen recording tool, I noticed my given framerate recorded had gone from say 20-15 ish, and that the recording tended to crash (not bos problem, probably dxstory). But I can run the game on highest graphics and with trackir smoothly, so maybe more ram could help? I have a 2 year old pc that was not built for sims.

There has been somewhat of a performance hit in this update, especially over the smoky areas of Stalingrad - perhaps related to the new look of the smoke.

How much ram do you have?  You might post your system specs to give an idea of what you are working with.

Typically the best thing for these flight sims is pure cpu horsepower, but certainly not enough ram could cause some bottlenecking as well. I would say if you have 6GB or more right now, you are probably fine in the ram department.

I ran the 00 mission of the Stalingrad map with the BF109 in both of my rigs at high and ultra settings. I ran both machines at 1920 x1080 resolution even though my one 27" monitor has native resolution of 2560 x 1440. I used my licensed version of Fraps.

Rig 1 has a 3930k @4.5 Ghz, and 2 GTX670FTWs in SLI and 16G DDR3 ram. Since SLI is not yet enabled in this Alpha I assume the results are for a single GTX 670. The results for this machine:

Ultra:           Frames: 21126  Time: 540922ms  Avg: 39.056: Min:0 Max 56

High:           Frames: 24460  Tme:  525219ms  Avg: 46.571  Min:0 Max 102

Rig 2 has a 3770k @ 4.5Ghz with a EVGA GTX780 Classified and 16G DDR3 ram. The results:

Ultra:           Frames: 33729  Time: 63459ms   Avg: 53.151 Min 0   Max 82

High:           Frames: 40171   Time: 66259ms  Avg: 60.627 Min 0  max 97

I intentionally flew though smoke clouds of the burning buildings in the scene to see the effect on fps at these settings. I tried to follow the same route each time. Though not exact each time, this gives you an idea of performance at ultra and high settings for the GTX670 and GTX780 at 1920 x 1080.

BTW the results for rig 1 at 2560 x 1440 resolution were:

Ultra: Avg: 32.729fps  Min 0 max 49

High:  Avg: 38.306fps Min 0 max 55

Clearly the higher resolution hits the GTX670. I hope they enable the SLI feature. If I have time, I'll switch monitors and run the 2560 x 1440 monitor with the GTX780.

I hope this info is helpful.

Edited by skline00

Surely everybody upgraded their hardware a couple of years ago so they could run ClOD......

Running gtx680 and a 3930k and the new smoke drops my fps to unacceptable levels.

Surely everybody upgraded their hardware a couple of years ago so they could run ClOD......

Er, no. I upgraded mine just over a couple of years ago to run ROF better.

Who remenber the start of IL-2 Sturmovik in 2001 to 2010? How many "new" videocards/Hi end processors... all for the dream fly "Perfect mode"...  Is the price of evolution, but the nice landscapes and effects worth, i love too BOS planes shine and want send congratulations for the 3D work, the BOS planes are very well done.  

For help conrades: www.tomshardware.com is a site were you can find good hints about select the best for money computer parts, with comparison charts, built a computer or improve it, overclocks, etc... 

I remember that. I tried perfect mode once, thought it a bit overrated and went back to "excellent" settings I think it was.

The load put onto graphic cards these days will always make them the most expensive part of a gaming pc and the most vulnerable to obsolescence a few months down the line. To keep cutting edge GPU performance requires a lot of money. Fine for people with more than they know what to do with, but not so good for those with more modest funds. You have to balance the worth of any performance gain along with longevity and price and the real game requirements, not just the minimum specs, or in some cases even the recommended specs.

Overall my system is just fine. It's just the graphic card that's seriously under par. Of course it's the most expensive bit to replace :rolleyes: . I'll likely do it sometime this year, but I can't get there just yet. February is a killer month for me with other expenses.

I have been wondering about these myself. Just going to try with little tweaked joystick settings to see if that makes any difference. And l also have the same impression about G forces.

I'm glad I'm not alone in thinking that. As for the twitchiness in maneuvering, I can't figure that out even with a joystick with a six inch extension. I've always had a pretty steady hand but any steadier and rigormortis would set in.

I'm really impressed.

I don't have a high spec machine so I've set it to Low, but the game still looks damned good. It slows down a bit viewing the smoke but that's fine for me. I still find it playable. Now add in other planes and ground objects and okay, it may be a different story, but for now it just knocks me over.

The city looks very convincing and, even in the bright light of the missions we have, conveys a sense of doom as you fly towards the smoke, which is visible from a long way off. I guess I should complain about how the smoke draw distance isn't realistic, but I just don't give a %#£< - my imagination just smooths over stuff like that.

Looking forward to this silly imac dying so I can upgrade back to a proper PC.

:)

Er, no. I upgraded mine just over a couple of years ago to run ROF better.

I remember that. I tried perfect mode once, thought it a bit overrated and went back to "excellent" settings I think it was.

The load put onto graphic cards these days will always make them the most expensive part of a gaming pc and the most vulnerable to obsolescence a few months down the line. To keep cutting edge GPU performance requires a lot of money. Fine for people with more than they know what to do with, but not so good for those with more modest funds. You have to balance the worth of any performance gain along with longevity and price and the real game requirements, not just the minimum specs, or in some cases even the recommended specs.

Overall my system is just fine. It's just the graphic card that's seriously under par. Of course it's the most expensive bit to replace :rolleyes: . I'll likely do it sometime this year, but I can't get there just yet. February is a killer month for me with other expenses.

I'm glad I'm not alone in thinking that. As for the twitchiness in maneuvering, I can't figure that out even with a joystick with a six inch extension. I've always had a pretty steady hand but any steadier and rigormortis would set in.

I switched this morning from the Ultra Preset to the Balanced Preset.

It helped me on the motion blur, it was just too much for me on the Ultra , was making me nauseous. Balanced seems to be some better.

Framerates still drop significantly once get into the smoky area, in the heavy smoke drops into low 20's on Balanced.

Overall though still very smooth and stutter free ( with frame rates locked at 60fps).

I switched this morning from the Ultra Preset to the Balanced Preset.

It helped me on the motion blur, it was just too much for me on the Ultra , was making me nauseous. Balanced seems to be some better.

Framerates still drop significantly once get into the smoky area, in the heavy smoke drops into low 20's on Balanced.

Overall though still very smooth and stutter free ( with frame rates locked at 60fps).

Turning off cinematic camera removes the blur completely.

I see a drop in framerates to the low 20's when looking at the smoke.  This hit is the same for both balanced and high.  In fact I don't see stutters even at the low 20's,  still very smooth.  If I didn't have fraps running I might not know there was a problem!

Turning off cinematic camera removes the blur completely.

Yes thank you, I am aware of that but do not want to turn all the cinematic effects off.

I sure hope they make this more of an individual setting by release ( along with SSAO)...

Spotting distances are spot on excuse the pun.

Smoke causes slow down for me, not tried the 50 KM map to see if there's any difference there.

Sim is looking more fantastic by the week!

• Upvote 2