Freycinet

RPK-10

I wonder how you can set the right radio channel since there isn't clickpit. Do you select it from premade list or something. hmm.

no you use what we call hot key assignments, in the controls inputs.. then you write it down or remember what keys you assigned.. :wacko:

crazy uh? what would we do with out a keyboard?

Edited by 71st_Mastiff
  • Like 1

One the most nice aditions to il-2'46 made by TD is radio navigation. :)

Hope that are not implemented like in il-46, the instrument automaticaly point to next way point ... :mellow:

Sokol1

• Upvote 1

The RPK-10 seems to add a lot of really cool functionality. I think it will be fantastic to use it on night missions and what not. I am really looking forward to learning how to use it.  :salute: MJ

It sure is nice having this feature functional now. :)

One the most nice aditions to il-2'46 made by TD is radio navigation. :)

Hope that are not implemented like in il-46, the instrument automaticaly point to next way point ... :mellow:

Sokol1

It's not made for waypoints as I'm understanding, it's made to get you to the beacon that it's set for... so bases only, I'm thinking.

no you use what we call hot key assignments, in the controls inputs.. then you write it down or remember what keys you assigned.. :wacko:

crazy uh? what would we do with out a keyboard?

Are you implying they're going to add key binds for every separate base?

It's not made for waypoints as I'm understanding, it's made to get you to the beacon that it's set for... so bases only, I'm thinking.

Are you implying they're going to add key binds for every separate base?

in IL-2 1946 4.12 we have it on a toggle... I'm sure they can manage that too.

Edited by ShamrockOneFive

crazy uh? what would we do with out a keyboard?

Something like this?

Or maybe I'm wrong.

Thanks!

We don't have the Lorenz beam landing aid - just beacons. And I think the indicator works the other way (indicating the direction you need to turn towards)- does anyone know which is historically correct?

We don't have the Lorenz beam landing aid - just beacons. And I think the indicator works the other way (indicating the direction you need to turn towards)- does anyone know which is historically correct?

It looks to me like it's working right. In the Ju 87, the vertical pointer points to the right if the airfield is to the right, and vice versa.

I believe it works more like in a modern OBI. When the needle is displaced to the right you have to turn right provided you're flying towards it,

If i'm not entirely mistaken, then, ingame when the needle points left you need to turn left. This seems to be intuitively right, maybe there were physical obstacles to do it IRL (like with the counter-turning compass) or that picture is wrong as it shows a movement opposed to what we see ingame.

Maybe i'm wrong and someone clarifies :D

I know, thread necro but...

I did some more research into this, and it seems the old way of radio beacon indication was correct for American planes fitted with the Bendix system:

Untitled.jpg

Edited by LukeFF

I know, the discussion about radio beacons and landing systems has a very looooonnnng beard, but I have not lost hope, that something will happen sometime. 😉

In CloD I spent a lot of time, experimenting in the editor with the instruments of the He111. An I found it very interessting to learn how these thing were supposed to work.

Not everything in CloD worked perfect as you all know, (expecially Lorenz system), but they tried to do it and I appreciated that a lot.

Finding locations after a night flight, only depending on the Patin-system and the clock was very satisfying, at least for me.

• Upvote 1

I noticed in the P47, the RDF seems to point in a direction opposite to your home airfield (seen screenshot). (note however this is in QMB, so I do not know if RDF programmed correctly to correct airfield).

bendix_1.thumb.jpg.4bcf08a0f1e25439e9bf81f1042cf51f.jpg

Is that correct? i.e. it shows that you are to the right of the correct heading. 

I thought it was a bug.

Edited by Sgt_Joch

25 minutes ago, Sgt_Joch said:

I noticed in the P47, the RDF seems to point in a direction opposite to your home airfield (seen screenshot). (note however this is in QMB, so i do not no if RDF programmed correctly to correct airfield).

bendix_1.thumb.jpg.4bcf08a0f1e25439e9bf81f1042cf51f.jpg

Is that correct? i.e. it shows that you are to the right of the correct heading. 

I thought it was a bug.

It seams to be en error for Bendix equip aircraft

Edited by ATAG_dB

Yes, they were changed, but it turns out the Bendix system was correct pre-3.007. Thanks to @ATAG_dB for pointing that out. :)

• Thanks 1

guys sorry for the thread necro, this things been brought back to life twice now, but how the heck does the russian rpk work? I was on taw got lost after a dog fight and couldn't use it to get me home, I've used the german one with success before, figured this one worked similar. Maybe I was turning the wrong way I do not know? Do I need to hit any buttons to make it change location or something? Couldn't find too much on how to use it even after searching.

2 hours ago, 392FS_Jred said:

guys sorry for the thread necro, this things been brought back to life twice now, but how the heck does the russian rpk work? I was on taw got lost after a dog fight and couldn't use it to get me home, I've used the german one with success before, figured this one worked similar. Maybe I was turning the wrong way I do not know? Do I need to hit any buttons to make it change location or something? Couldn't find too much on how to use it even after searching.

what plane?  Did you add RPK/Bendix equipment if needed. 

Only plane that you need to do anything to if equip is there is P-39 (Change radio channel to compass)

Were you less than ~90km away from base and at what alt as range seems to decrease the higher alt you are.....otherwise nothing is needed, just turn left/right to line up needle like the german planes.

• Thanks 1

This is something I've never really tried to mess with in IL-2 but I'd really like to understand it more. Have people done guides? Is it really that easy? :)

11 minutes ago, ShamrockOneFive said:

This is something I've never really tried to mess with in IL-2 but I'd really like to understand it more. Have people done guides? Is it really that easy? :)

This should get you started: 

Chuck's Battle of Stalingrad Guide:

Pe-2:  RPK-2 pp.105  pp. 121 use.

Stuka:  AFN-1 pp.191

111:  AFN-2 pp. 201  pp. 250 use

Chuck's Guide:  https://www.mudspike.com/chucks-guides-il2-battle-of-stalingrad/

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ShamrockOneFive said:

The Soviet RPK-10 and German AFN radio bearing indicators - when you are flying towards a radio beacon - show the position of your plane relative to the beacon - so, if the needle is pointing to the left, that means you are flying to the left of the beacon and need to make a turn to the right in order to fly straight towards it.

The Bendix radio indicator in the P-39, P-47, and A-20 works in the opposite manner - it points to the radio beacon's location. So, if the needle is pointing to the left, that means you need to turn to the left in order to fly towards the beacon. Also, as mentioned earlier, when you have it fitted in the P-39, you have to switch the radio channel until a particular switch on the radio display is pointed to COMP. That's because, in the P-39, the radio set also functions as your communications radio. 

1 hour ago, Plurp said:

This should get you started: 

Chuck's Battle of Stalingrad Guide:

Pe-2:  RPK-2 pp.105  pp. 121 use.

Stuka:  AFN-1 pp.191

111:  AFN-2 pp. 201  pp. 250 use

Chuck's Guide:  https://www.mudspike.com/chucks-guides-il2-battle-of-stalingrad/

That info is outdated, since the radio compass behavior was modified recently to more properly reflect reality.

Edited by LukeFF
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Talon_ said:

Hopefully @Han or @AnPetrovich know that the Bendix is currently pointing the opposite direction to reality already 🙂

It's been fixed and is working properly.

LukeFF :

" The Soviet RPK-10 and German AFN radio bearing indicators - when you are flying towards a radio beacon - show the position of your plane relative to the beacon - so, if the needle is pointing to the left, that means you are flying to the left of the beacon and need to make a turn to the right in order to fly straight towards it. "

Which it does, however the AFN2 should still provide valid info when flying away from the station ....in this case you fly towards the deflected needle to centre it. At present it just remains full scale deflection when flying away from the station, and doesnt provide any usable info. See link below to bug report.

Edited by Bert_Foster