Sign in to follow this  
Bladderburst

Infantry

How can you simulate tank combat without infantry? It's like making a flight simulator but leaving out Bombers.

I mean infantry and tanks worked hand in hand and tank duels were not the norm.

• Upvote 3

Never say never but at this point there has been no information regarding infantry at all. It has been discussed on the forums and a general consensus is you may see heavy weapons and anti tank units modeled but it is unlikely you will ever get any formations of other types of ground units. The caveat here is; all of the above has been discussed by the community as a possibility. No DEV has ever chimes in on the discussion and you shouldn’t expect them to here or elsewhere. From a marketing point of view announcing what you aren’t doing is often a fools errand.

”What? No infantry? I didn’t even care about that until you said you weren’t doing it. I won’t buy another product and will hold my breath until you reconsider!” ;)

The developers have indicated that they will not be creating infantry units for the game or Tank Crew. Primarily due to technical or programming reason. IL2 is basically all about WWII machines at which they are very good at.

Actually there are infantry in the game. They man the ATG, AAA, Machine Guns, Rear Gunners etc. But, don't expect stand alone infantry units.

I am not saying that they should allow players to handle infantry or single soldiers as units but some form of infantry presence needs to be modeled.

5 minutes ago, II/JG17_HerrMurf said:

”What? No infantry? I didn’t even care about that until you said you weren’t doing it. I won’t buy another product and will hold my breath until you reconsider!”

If you remotely know the basics of tank operations there is no way that you do not care about infantry. Tank operations is not mainly about T34s shelling tigers in epic duels. Frankly had I realized that it was doing to be a sort of world of tanks I don't think I would have shelled 60$ to get it.

5 minutes ago, Thad said:

The developers have indicated that they will not be creating infantry units for the game or Tank Crew. Primarily due to technical or programming reason. IL2 is basically all about WWII machines at which they are very good at.

Actually there are infantry in the game. They man the ATG, AAA, Machine Guns, Rear Gunners etc. But, don't expect stand alone infantry units.

Yeah for air warfare it's ok it's all machine vs machine. But ground warfare is another thing altogether. Without infantry positions you simply can't model real combat situations. I mean it's not asking for individual soldiers running around, but you have to simulate some sort of infantry support, tank traps and stuff like that. Other tank sims have infantry. It's not like IL2 is a study sim like DCS either, it's very simplified controls for the sake of the game, which is fine. 

It's like modeling air combat and leaving out flak or something like that. It feels empty and unrealistic.

Not really here to debate whether infantry formations will be modeled (it won’t) or my understanding of combined arms (high). It’s been openly discussed here before. There are other titles if people are seeking a combined arms game. You asked questions and they have been answered.

My quotes were in quotes with a smiley to denote humor. It was not an attack on you or anyone in particular. It’s just the way these discussions all ultimately devolve.

OT a wee bit. What about artillery? Napoleon called artillery the king of battle. The infantry is thought of as the queen with respect to a chess game.

We have the basis for self-propelled artillery pieces with tank platform and AAA guns already play a pivotal role with complex functioning.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Gordon200 said:

self-propelled artillery

What would be the point of having SPG's if there is no infantry or fortified positions to engage?

On 10/27/2018 at 6:30 AM, Red_Five said:

That's a real shame

Yep. It will just be a bunch of people driving around like lone-wolves shooting at eachother. Honestly I miss singleplayer games. It's like their just dead at this point. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1