Jump to content
Jason_Williams

Developer Diary 209 - Discussion

Recommended Posts

Reducing CPU load would be amazing. That's the main bottleneck I have. It would also allow for more aircraft in the sky, more "things" in missions. That and reducing the shimmering artefacts when flying in front of clouds.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/26/2018 at 11:50 AM, PA_Spartan- said:

 

We need the Mexican skin as well. :)

 

148_1.jpg

 

 

Nice! Brazilian 1º Grupo de Aviação de Caça (1st Fighter Group) fought in the Italian front during 1944. Did the Mexican Air Force also fight in WWII?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Bremspropeller said:

 

Yes, they flew Jugs in the Philippines.

In that case a custom skin by one of the talented sinners will do just fine :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Elem said:

You have, in MODS...

 

 

Tried it, not the same as built in.

Edited by VBF-12_Stick-95

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, PA_Spartan- said:

In that case a custom skin by one of the talented sinners will do just fine :)

 

Yeah, I'm thinking about doing some VVS ones, even if it might not be realistic. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i was expecting one red star skin for 47 as its historical so why not add it when you can in russian made game

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, actionhank1786 said:

 

Yeah, I'm thinking about doing some VVS ones, even if it might not be realistic. 

 

What! Arrest that creature and send him to the furthest gulag.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh... DON'T worry. There'll be plenty of Jugskins when we finally get the beast!! Oh yes oh yes....

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Bremspropeller said:

TBH I'd rather have another exciting and colorful US P-47 skin than a boring all-olive VVS skin.

Blasphemy!!!

fae.jpg

  • Haha 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've never watched a thread so much with F5 taps since the 46 Peshka addon thread on whobee ( sitting on my hands, honest! )

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Very nice work on the P-47 guys, cant wait to fly it. However i must say you really missed the mark with the skins it ships with. Gabreski, Eagleston, Zemke, Johnson, Schilling....etc. No offense to any brave pilots of WW2 from any nation, but a random free french skin over one of the greats seems a little silly to me. Unless there's some kind of legal deal with using their planes likeness i'm unaware of. Either way, keep uo the good work and thanks for your dedication devs.!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Armee de l'Air flew their Jugs for signifigant amount of time post-war. That includes operations in North Africa and Indochina.

They were in a all-natural finish by then, though.

 

Skins can always be added afterwards and I'm quite sure the community will serve lots of interesting paintjobs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I never understood the nitpicking over the skins when skinners can make literally any skin one could want.

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For me a skin not relevant for the area I fly is a total immersion killer. And I am not a nitpicker. I usually do not bother with choosing skin, I fly realistic server with no outside view

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

in other games i would not be bathered what skins devs make as they had good system and numbers and squad tags and so on... but here with no decals and servers locking skins its important that devs make as many skins posible as thats the only skins i end up using with the way game works. But its problem ony for online guys so what i see for 47 here is more then enought for me to have some options to chose from when playing online.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, LukeFF said:

Note the updated throttle model: ;)

 

P-47_Cockpit_K14.jpg

 

Indeed I noticed that aswell, I wonder if they got in contact with the people who restored the P-47N o make sure it was historically accurate? Either way, it's one of the best looking cockpits in the sim and I can't wait to set foot in it.

 

Also, will the automatic injection still be an option now that we have the manual switch on the throttle? I'll never use auto but I'm still curious to know.

Edited by Legioneod

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Legioneod said:

Also, will the automatic injection still be an option now that we have the manual switch on the throttle? I'll never use auto but I'm still curious to know.

 

image.png.8b249cd34061721a5f0eaac0df30d949.png

 

I guarantee you'll have to push the "boost" switch to get over 52".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, 77.CountZero said:

in other games i would not be bathered what skins devs make as they had good system and numbers and squad tags and so on... but here with no decals and servers locking skins its important that devs make as many skins posible as thats the only skins i end up using with the way game works. But its problem ony for online guys so what i see for 47 here is more then enought for me to have some options to chose from when playing online.

Tell the server owner to unlock skins again. They are only locked on two servers and only one of those is filled often.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Legioneod said:

Indeed I noticed that aswell, I wonder if they got in contact with the people who restored the P-47N o make sure it was historically accurate? Either way, it's one of the best looking cockpits in the sim and I can't wait to set foot in it.

 

I actually found reference images from the Tennessee Museum of Aviation confirming this was the proper throttle arrangement for the P-47 D when fitted with the K-14. In addition, I was able to locate original Republic factory drawings (courtesy of ww2aircraft.net) from August 1944 showing that yes, this was the correct throttle grip. 

 

57681163_P-47K-14Drawing1.thumb.jpg.607bb6b6d21ed4897cac7690e6236122.jpg1216598185_P-47K-14Drawing2.thumb.jpg.fec8988a0fa03d308c25f1de20ea7a92.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One question to Jug experts :

did the "standard" and "diamond" reticles co-existed on the hud of the K-14 gunsight as seen on the screenshot posted above by LukeFF ?

Thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Pierre64 said:

One question to Jug experts :

did the "standard" and "diamond" reticles co-existed on the hud of the K-14 gunsight as seen on the screenshot posted above by LukeFF ?

Thanks.

 

Yes, they did. The sight could be configured to show both at the same time, just the moving reticle, or just the fixed reticle.

  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

New WW1 Entente pilot looks great! 
 

Personally I'd love to see different variations for each allied nation...A French pilot in their blue tunic, a R.F.C pilot with that awesome brown leather trench-coat, etc. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, LukeFF said:

 

Yes, they did. The sight could be configured to show both at the same time, just the moving reticle, or just the fixed reticle.

 

Very cool. So I take it you can switch between both modes (in BoPB) on the fly?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, sevenless said:

 

Very cool. So I take it you can switch between both modes (in BoPB) on the fly?

you can in the Spit Mk IX

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Asgar said:

you can in the Spit Mk IX

 

Thanks! Haven´t flown the Spit IX that much yet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As far back as i can recall so lets say 1995 when i bought my first combat flight sim which was PACIFIC STRIKE ,  this is going to be the first time  we will have real bare metal aircraft . Finally its here . 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Talon_ said:

 

image.png.8b249cd34061721a5f0eaac0df30d949.png

 

I guarantee you'll have to push the "boost" switch to get over 52".

 

No we wont.

Water injection helped prevent detonation, and gave a boost in power/speed, but it's primary purpose is for cooling the engine iirc.

The P-47 could still run 64" without water but if using 130 octane it ran a large risk of detonation and destruction of the engine. This was remedied later on with the addition of 150 octane which allowed the use of 64" without using water.

Water injection did give a boost in speed though, even at the same power settings. When pushing 64" with water vs without, you could gain about 8mph in speed.

 

In-game we should be able to push to 64" without water but we wont get as much performance boost and we run a much higher risk of destroying the engine, unless, we get 150 octane and then we wont have to worry about water at all unless we push past 64"

 

Keep in mind this is all based off past research of mine so it may not be 100% accurate but imo we should still be able to push 64" without water.

Feel free t correct me if I'm wrong, maybe I just misunderstood the stuff I was researching.

 

 

 

 

 

8 hours ago, LukeFF said:

 

I actually found reference images from the Tennessee Museum of Aviation confirming this was the proper throttle arrangement for the P-47 D when fitted with the K-14. In addition, I was able to locate original Republic factory drawings (courtesy of ww2aircraft.net) from August 1944 showing that yes, this was the correct throttle grip. 

 

57681163_P-47K-14Drawing1.thumb.jpg.607bb6b6d21ed4897cac7690e6236122.jpg1216598185_P-47K-14Drawing2.thumb.jpg.fec8988a0fa03d308c25f1de20ea7a92.jpg

 

Very nice. I've been using this site for reference and it really helps understand the construction of the P-47 and some individual changes in each block/model.

I even found some pics of that drawing you posted.

 

Here is the site: It's been very interesting so far.  https://aircorpslibrary.com/

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Legioneod said:

In-game we should be able to push to 64" without water but we wont get as much performance boost and we run a much higher risk of destroying the engine, unless, we get 150 octane and then we wont have to worry about water at all unless we push past 64"

 

Has the P-47 fully manual engine/turbo controls? If so then it could be like the P-40 is now - push happily past 70" no matter what and the engine works without a hiccup until a very short timer runs out.

 

Shouldn't the detonation have immediate results?

I really hope that we will get something else than a crude timer based kill-switch for that.

Edited by Ehret

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Ehret said:

 

Has the P-47 fully manual engine/turbo controls? If so then it could be like the P-40 is now - push happily past 70" no matter what and the engine works without a hiccup until a very short timer runs out.

 

Shouldn't the detonation have immediate results?

I really hope that we will get something else than a crude timer based kill-switch for that.

 

I'm not sure, I think maybe the ground crew could set it or it was completely manual. Water injection was completely manual on the D-28.

The Turbo is completely manual as far as I'm aware, if you don't control it properly you will have problems.

 

I know many P-47 (in the 56th at least) had their engines boosted past authorized settings but I think this was due to the ground crew tinkering with the power settings on the engine or however it was done.

 

Detonation wont necessarily just destroy the engine or shut it down but it will cause many problems that eventually lead to complete failure.

Running above specified settings is never really good but many pilots did it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Legioneod said:

Feel free t correct me if I'm wrong

 

I literally posted the section of the D-28 pilot's notes that shows the water pressure actuates the switch to allow increased manifold pressure.

 

3 hours ago, Legioneod said:

The Turbo is completely manual as far as I'm aware, if you don't control it properly you will have problems.

 

The turbo is subject to a regulator, the lever only controls the maximum position of the waste gate assembly not the actual position. You can leave it linked to throttle in almost every phase of flight.

Edited by Talon_

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Talon_ said:

The turbo is subject to a regulator, the lever only controls the maximum position of the waste gate assembly not the actual position. You can leave it linked to throttle in almost every phase of flight.

 

So in other words the turbo has kind of waste-gate governor? If so then the turbo over-speeding light should be redundant, no?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Ehret said:

 

So in other words the turbo has kind of waste-gate governor? If so then the turbo over-speeding light should be redundant, no?

 

image.png.7087b912f90a384be9ab8eff49b56ff1.png

 

Turbine overspeed light goes from a necessary part of the turbine control system in the early Ds into being simply a failure warning in the later models like the D-28 below critical altitude. Above critical altitude it becomes necessary to watch for overspeed using the light once more. The behaviours described following "CAUTION" are only possible above critical altitude.

 

image.png.2e5859a71beac525528ecccfb6d068db.png

image.png.f55015905ed8ea6fda016b525918c354.png

 

By extension of this it seems you might be able to squeeze a little more power out of the engine by overspeeding the turbine 10% (20,000rpm cont, 22,000rpm for 15 minutes) however only above critical altitude.

Edited by Talon_
  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As far as the Turbo goes, in the key binding I think we have only seen that the turbo control is modeled (either as an access or an increase/decrease button). I haven't seen anything the controls about interlinking throttle and turbo (though the interlink appears to be modified in-cockpit), but maybe I missed it. Has anyone else seen this yet? it will be useful to have the interlink for those of us without many spare buttons or axes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...