Jason_Williams

Developer Diary 209 - Discussion

I want to thank the Devs Team for the great Job. The P-47 Looks great, I hope it will be avaiable soon. Looking Forward to EVERYTHING what´s coming.....D9, Me262, U-2, P-51 and more.

The new Pilot models look really great aswell, big improvement.

Thanks for all that!

You have to hand it to these guys. Really. They read that post where everyone was complaining about how old the pilot looks, so they changed him. I like that. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 4

I can't wait to fly this big beautiful Jug! I'll be using it until the P-38 comes out.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Poochnboo said:

You have to hand it to these guys. Really. They read that post where everyone was complaining about how old the pilot looks, so they changed him. I like that. 

Maybe not complaining as much as just pointing out how we saw the face. I think what's been done now makes "him" look much more typical of a U.S. pilot. My hope is that pilots will be selectable like aircraft skins are and that these pilot figures will continue to multiply for variety so all pilots don't end up looking like clones. Still, this is a great start.

10 hours ago, Jason_Williams said:

Pretty sure we've already showed the mask and goggles.

BOBP_Pilot_USA.thumb.jpg.990c24ba06a0327b94517fe717aabbfd.jpg

Jason

Attention to detail is amazing. What model jacket is the pilot wearing? I know that some wore A-2 Flight Jacket, but which is this?

19 minutes ago, VBF-12_Stele said:

What model jacket is the pilot wearing? I know that some wore A-2 Flight Jacket, but which is this?

He's done up in late war garb. The AAF began replacing the old A-2 jacket with a fabric one that was fleece lined. The B-10. From the color and the collar it appears to be that one. He also seems to have the Berger G-suit that 9th Air Force fighter pilots began to be equipped with around the time of D-Day.

Edited by Poochnboo
  • Thanks 2

Will the tubes be ejectable off the racks?  Also would be nice to get some updated hand animations for the pilot hand commands.  Something like a snappy salute, a big thumbs up, maybe an arm on the sill when the canopy is open.  Cool stuff that us Yanks do naturally.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, [CPT]Crunch said:

Will the tubes be ejectable off the racks?  Also would be nice to get some updated hand animations for the pilot hand commands.  Something like a snappy salute, a big thumbs up, maybe an arm on the sill when the canopy is open.  Cool stuff that us Yanks do naturally.

Nope, you're stuck with them, one of the advantages of HVARS is that you fire them and they are gone, though you will still have the tabs they are mounted on.

Earlier P-47s (D-28 included) could only carry around 4 HVARS from what I've read, they mounted them around where the bazooka tubes were mounted iirc. 

I'm not sure how true this is but, I've read that HVARS were susceptible to damage due to them being mounted directly under the cartridge chutes, if you fired your guns before the rockets it could damage them and cause quite a few problems.

Edited by Legioneod

That P-47 cockpit looks amazing. I mean, the P-47 looks amazing, but compared to the cockpit of old (which was never quite finished) this looks amazing. It's really quite something!

2 minutes ago, ShamrockOneFive said:

That P-47 cockpit looks amazing. I mean, the P-47 looks amazing, but compared to the cockpit of old (which was never quite finished) this looks amazing. It's really quite something!

Indeed it is, I wonder though if the oxygen hose will be extended/added or will it remain as is?

Edited by Legioneod

4 hours ago, [CPT]Crunch said:

Will the tubes be ejectable off the racks? 

It was possible to jettison them, was only supposed to be done in an emergency though.

So it will probably be possible ingame.

6 hours ago, Rjel said:

My hope is that pilots will be selectable like aircraft skins are and that these pilot figures will continue to multiply for variety so all pilots don't end up looking like clones. Still, this is a great start.

Boy, I'd love that! Not necssarily the faces, but the whole figures. Dress-up-my-pilot :D

The average USAAF pilot could be wearing several different jackets for starters:

B-10 (as seen in the pictures, standard issue at the time)

B-6 (sheepskin jacket)

D-1 (same, normally a mechanic's jacket, but pilots sometimes traded jackets)

A-2 (Don't get me started on the different versions of that one! Normally a spring to fall jacket, but still seen at wintertime occasionally. Not standard issue at the time of Bodenplatte anymore, but still very frequent.)

The Luftwaffe guys also come in different possibilities:

Winter-Kanaljacke (as seen in the screenshots; there were heated and non-heated models)

issued late-war buttoned leather jacket (seen in many pictures)

the "Hartmann" (on which our standard Luftwaffe jacket in game is based - privately bought by pilots and the most common summer leather jacket worn by Luftwaffe pilots)

different kinds of sheepskin designs

trophy jackets (like american A-2s, Irvins, etc.)

5 hours ago, Legioneod said:

Earlier P-47s (D-28 included) could only carry around 4 HVARS from what I've read, they mounted them around where the bazooka tubes were mounted iirc. 

Would those be the newer zero-length launchers, or the long rails?

Edited by Bremspropeller
  • Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Bremspropeller said:

Would those be the newer zero-length launchers, or the long rails?

Honestly I don't know. The only P-47 that I know had zero length launchers was the P-47N,  earlier ones had them retrofitted I'm sure but I can't find much info on it.

FWIW

A post-war picture of a colombian -47D wih zero-length launchers:

Thunderbolt_F-47D_(P-47).jpg

The website of the 368th fighter group mentions HVARs

http://www.368thfightergroup.com/P-47-armament.html

From the 368th FG website:

w-396-arm-crew-1-325x525.jpg

dw-397-martin-robert-p47.jpg

HVAR ylons just barely visible inboad of the L/H wing-rack:

dw-396-p47-c2y-inflt-austin-2-480x285.jp

What are the racks inboard of the main wing-rack?

dw-396-benton-al-450x314.jpg

dw-395-kik-wb-1-312x465.jpg

That's all I could find on the 368th website. Give them a visit.

If you're considering buying their book - it's great! Got one copy myself.

Edited by Bremspropeller

18 minutes ago, Bremspropeller said:

FWIW

http://www.368thfightergroup.com/P-47-armament.html

And (post-war picture):

Thunderbolt_F-47D_(P-47).jpg

From the 368th FG website:

w-396-arm-crew-1-325x525.jpg

dw-397-martin-robert-p47.jpg

HVAR ylons just barely visible inboad of the L/H wing-rack:

dw-396-p47-c2y-inflt-austin-2-480x285.jp

What are the racks inboard of the main wing-rack?

dw-396-benton-al-450x314.jpg

dw-395-kik-wb-1-312x465.jpg

That's all I could find on the 368th website. Give them a visit.

If you're considering buying their book - it's great! Got one copy myself.

Yep those pylons inboard of the wing racks are what the hvars would have been ounted on before they recieved zero length launchers, it only allowed for 4 to be carried at a time (two on each wing)

P-47N is the only P-47 that had the zero length launchers as standard iirc. 4 hvars would be the most common in Europe and even then they werent as common as bazooka tubes.

Edited by Legioneod

On 10/26/2018 at 9:54 PM, II/JG17_HerrMurf said:

Sorry, that image ended up posting much larger than I expected. If the mods want it taken down, I am not opposed and approve the edit. Alternately, I will post the thought in it's own thread with a smaller image if necessary.

I think the problem with that may be that because there are parts of the internal cross left it really still represents the original form. 

It is interesting though. In what way and by how much would you have to change the original for it to be legal. 

[edited]

Edited by SYN_Haashashin

The book "50 aerodromes pour une victoire" by HEIMDAL mentions that the 406th Fighter Group (more precisely the 513th Fighter Squadron) was the first to introduce the HVAR rockets - more precisely: the first attack-mission was flown on 17th July against the marshalling yards of Nevers.

It also mentions that the 406th FG was the only unit to use the rockets - probably in the context of the Invasion operations.

It was originally fit with HVAR kits to combat V-2 installations, but that mission was thrown overboard when the group deployed to France later in July 1944.

Edited by Bremspropeller

A great tribute to one of very few elite units to receive a presidential citation from US government due to extraordinary heroism in face of an armed enemy under extremely difficulty conditions and above all others friendly units in the same military campaign. 

100px-PresUnitRib.gif.68f2489b3080cbb7b4dbe0a8d1f12aa8.gif

"The work of the pilots and support personnel was recognized by a (U.S.) Presidential Unit Citation issued of only four non-US squadrons to receive such a citation". Source:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brazilian_Air_Force 

Senta-a-Pua-004.thumb.jpg.bfd5fa628d91d8de72fafb3aed54248e.jpg

In all, the 1GAVCA flew a total of 445 missions, 2,550 individual sorties, and 5,465 combat flight hours, from 11 November 1944 to 6 May 1945. The XXII Tactical Air Command acknowledged the efficiency of the Group by noting that although it flew only 5% of the total of missions carried out by all squadrons under its control, it accomplished a much higher percentage of the total destruction:

• 85% of the ammunition depots
  • 36% of the fuel depots
  • 28% of the bridges (19% damaged)
  • 15% of motor vehicles (13% damaged)
  • 10% of horse-drawn vehicles (10% damaged)

da0805f8191d43ec923713e981efd39a.jpg

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Legioneod said:

Nope, you're stuck with them, one of the advantages of HVARS is that you fire them and they are gone, though you will still have the tabs they are mounted on.

I'm not sure how true this is but, I've read that HVARS were susceptible to damage due to them being mounted directly under the cartridge chutes, if you fired your guns before the rockets it could damage them and cause quite a few problems.

The Rocket tubes could be jettisoned

6 minutes ago, RoflSeal said:

The Rocket tubes could be jettisoned

Interesting but are you sure? I know early tubes couldn't be jettisoned, they may have added the ability later, but I haven't seen any sources on it.

Edited by Legioneod

no need for hvar if thouse tubes can be drop after you fire them, 4xhvar is less then 6xbazokas :)

Looks superb so far guys, thank you very much for the update, really appreciated.:salute:

While I agree the Jug is awesome and the new pilots so sexy.;)

WHEN IS MY U2 COMING? 

Sorry, I got carried away there, the wait is very frustrating.:blush:

Wishing you all the very best, Pete.:biggrin:

This sim can and surely has to evolve on different (mostly gameplay) aspects still, but what we see here is true dedication and a series that gets more and more amazing with time.

I have to say, again, impressive work, it is unparalleled! :salute:

Edited by 216th_Jordan
  • Upvote 2

They've done an amazing job.

The Jug looks stellar. From where I sit all the hard work is paying off in a huge way, and they're cranking out this content at a blistering pace as well.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, 216th_Jordan said:

This sim can and surely has to evolve on different (mostly gameplay) aspects still, but what we see here is true dedication and a series that gets more and more amazing with time.

We are going to see the air-marshal functionality, soon, too. (I think...)

4.5 inch 3-tube A.C. Rocket launcher M10-Standard

M-10 is a cluster of three plastic tubes used for firing rockets from aircraft.  One cluster is mounted under each wing of a fighter aircraft.  The cluster may be jettisoned after rockets are launched.  The fin-stabalized 4.5 inch rockets M8, M8A1, M8A2, M8A3, T22, and T41 may be launched from this cluster.

Total weight 82 lbs.

length 120 in

number and arrangement 3-tube cluster

composition Plastic

Mounting -Clusters mounted on brackets under side of aircraft wings

Elevation- 4degree adjustment possible, harmonized with AC machine guns

Traverse- by changing AC direction (roll)

Rate of fire - 6 rounds in .6 seconds on salvo

Firing mechanism- Selective single or ripple, electric firing mechanism

Fire control equipment- No special equipment (meaning uses whats already standard in the AC)

Source, Volume three second addition 1944 Office of the Chief of Ordnance Technical Division, "Catalogue of Standard Ordnance Items"  Declassified 1958

Available from the US Army Military History Institute

15 minutes ago, [CPT]Crunch said:

4.5 inch 3-tube A.C. Rocket launcher M10-Standard

M-10 is a cluster of three plastic tubes used for firing rockets from aircraft.  One cluster is mounted under each wing of a fighter aircraft.  The cluster may be jettisoned after rockets are launched.  The fin-stabalized 4.5 inch rockets M8, M8A1, M8A2, M8A3, T22, and T41 may be launched from this cluster.

Total weight 82 lbs.

length 120 in

number and arrangement 3-tube cluster

composition Plastic

Mounting -Clusters mounted on brackets under side of aircraft wings

Elevation- 4degree adjustment possible, harmonized with AC machine guns

Traverse- by changing AC direction (roll)

Rate of fire - 6 rounds in .6 seconds on salvo

Firing mechanism- Selective single or ripple, electric firing mechanism

Fire control equipment- No special equipment (meaning uses whats already standard in the AC)

Source, Volume three second addition 1944 Office of the Chief of Ordnance Technical Division, "Catalogue of Standard Ordnance Items"  Declassified 1958

Available from the US Army Military History Institute

Nice, learn something new everyday, I was always under the belief that they could not be jettisoned.

Here's something else I came across.

https://www.ibiblio.org/hyperwar/USA/ref/TM/pdfs/TM9-395.pdf

""When the launcher is dropped, the arms serve to direct the nose of the launcher downward as air pressure pushes the tubes to the rear."
Think that confirms they were airdrop able, quoted out of the manual you linked.

6 minutes ago, [CPT]Crunch said:
""When the launcher is dropped, the arms serve to direct the nose of the launcher downward as air pressure pushes the tubes to the rear."
Think that confirms they were airdrop able, quoted out of the manual you linked.

I know, thats why I said you learn something new everyday.

WOW !!! You did a great job with the P-47 ! The cockpit looks awesome ! The skins too. I hope you would do the same work for the P-51D Mustang !

Good Job !

On 10/27/2018 at 7:10 PM, Bremspropeller said:

Boy, I'd love that! Not necssarily the faces, but the whole figures. Dress-up-my-pilot 😄

It will probably turn up as DLC later on.  

18 hours ago, VBF-12_Stick-95 said:

Great looking stuff.  Wish we had the option to see the pilot's body while in cockpit.

You have, in MODS...

On 10/26/2018 at 11:49 AM, Tony_Kito said:

Jug_10_Brazil.jpg.db110a03d9712ef3b79c69025673860b.jpg

My wishes for a Brazilian P-47 have come true.

I can safely say I'm a bit closer to heaven now :, )

For sure all our dreams have come true! :salute:

Edited by luiz-campos

Really a great job guys.
I can't wait to get my hands on it.
Just a question. 

Do you have any plans to change the graphics engine in the future?
If you could get something more realistic, from a graphic point of view, it will be perfect.

;) ;) 

There is always room for improvements, but BOX graphic is realy nice. If they could reduce cpu load even more i will be more than happy.