Jason_Williams

Developer Diary 209 - Discussion

38 minutes ago, daliborsky said:

hi, can we expect some female pilots for U-2, Yak-3, Il-2? It was high time we get some ladies. Like Budanova, Litvak and others...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Night_Witches

http://www.ctie.monash.edu.au/hargrave/soviet_women_pilots.html

Requests for female pilots pop up every week I think. :biggrin:

Many of us want them, especially for the Po-2 U-2. Can't remember what the answer (if any) was from the Dev team. Yes, no, perhaps, in the future...

3 minutes ago, Tag777 said:

Well, I will take the Jug to 30,000 feet to test the turbosupercharger system 😀

Same, though you really don't need to go that high, anything above 7-12k and you'll need the turbo, top speed should be around 29k for the D-28.

I know I'm gonna do a whole bunch of crazy test to push this bird to it's limits and then break it. I want to know everything about how it handles in-game.

Edited by Legioneod

3 hours ago, Rjel said:

The Thunderbolt looks incredible. The skins too. The NMF looks better than what we have currently but maybe that's just my imagination. The pilot looks so realistic. I expect him to blink. Amazing work.

What I was thinking too. The metal finish on all the skins is really good - very realistic looking. They seem to have perfected it now. Definitely seems to have taken another step up.

And as for the pilots...WOW!! Looking forward to seeing RAF pilot soon (and hopefully Luftwaffe + Russian pilot updated to same standard)

I can't resist anymore. BOBP pre-order (and new gold bar) coming very shortly.... 

:)  Nice......

Edited by kendo
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, schurem said:

Getting a hard on, it must be close 😄

You may be looking at the wrong “Jugs” 🤣

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Legioneod said:

Nice. I'm not sure how I feel about the high contrast between the lines and base coat but overall it's a nice skin.

I know how I feel… like vo……...g.  I wish their camouflaged aircraft skins were as realist as is the pilot.

When we look at this French bird (that should fall apart) I may suppose that the pilot is in his late 70s and  wearing rags and feathers. Completely stupid  and not even "artistic".

I just hope the FM will not reflect the skins ( camo ones )

No one would climb in such derelicts. It's an insult to all those who took care of these aircrafts and did all what they could to not add to the danger of the enemy !

There is a long way between a aircraft fresh out of the factory aircraft and the dump hole.

Madcop.:cray:

3 minutes ago, Madcop said:

I know how I feel… like vo……...g.  I wish their camouflaged aircraft skins were as realist as is the pilot.

When we look at this French bird (that should fall apart) I may suppose that the pilot is in his late 70s and  wearing rags and feathers. Completely stupid  and not even "artistic".

I just hope the FM will not reflect the skins ( camo ones )

No one would climb in such derelicts. It's an insult to all those who took care of these aircrafts and did all what they could to not add to the danger of the enemy !

There is a long way between a aircraft fresh out of the factory aircraft and the dump hole.

Madcop.:cray:

P-47s did get heavily weathered during the war. I'm not saying it's a bad skin, I just think the rivet/panel lines are way to glaring and need to be more subtle.

2 hours ago, sevenless said:

Any chance we can also get a skin for Francis Gabreski and David Schilling in?

zemkeswolfpacksd_1.jpg

zemkeswolfpacksd_3.jpg

I’m sure someone will whip on up for you. 

3 hours ago, Legioneod said:

Nice. I'm not sure how I feel about the high contrast between the lines and base coat but overall it's a nice skin.

Given that the invasion stripes were initially added on very short notice across thousands of aircraft, it kind of makes sense that the finish would look different. Pilot accounts I've read recall it being something of a rush job on most aircraft.

11 minutes ago, RedKestrel said:

Given that the invasion stripes were initially added on very short notice across thousands of aircraft, it kind of makes sense that the finish would look different. Pilot accounts I've read recall it being something of a rush job on most aircraft.

I didn't mean the invasions stripes, I was talking about the rivet and panel lines being so apparent, they should be more subtle imo. I agree though that many pics I've seen show a really messy look to the invasion stripes.

Edited by Legioneod

Hey Jason , I was wondering since the pilot models are so detailed will we be able to have a pilot in the pit option?

5 hours ago, sevenless said:

I love it!

Jug_11_Skull.jpg.d1485b32324e4ba5ac6454823f65d494.jpg

The row of censored swastikas kill marks look really bad on this plane.

I understand that you can't show swastika in game, but in this particular case I think you are better off with a line of balkencrosses, like you have on other p47 instead of censored swastikas, . 

A single censored swastika on the rudder of a plane is fine, but this row of strange symbols doesn't look like kill markings. 

Please replace them with the balkencrosses.

Other then that, this Thunderbolts look really good.

Edited by Jaws2002
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 4

How come you are able to model planes in such sexy way??

Fantastic Job!!

Matter of fact, we had a real pilot who has experience flying an actual U-2 test our FM. He really liked it and gave us some small pointers that we will incorporate into the FM

Yeah!!

Simply amazing guys! a FM based on real pilot experience! such fantastic!

Many thanks! Love you guys!

The aluminum skin on that Jug looks terrific! I just want to rest my cheek against her...

Fantastic work by the whole modelling team. There's nothing more I could ask for in a WW2 flight sim. 

Or is there...

1 hour ago, kendo said:

And as for the pilots...WOW!! Looking forward to seeing RAF pilot soon (and hopefully Luftwaffe + Russian pilot updated to same standard)

A new German pilot model (for the late war time period) was shown in a recent DD. 

2 minutes ago, LukeFF said:

A new German pilot model (for the late war time period) was shown in a recent DD. 

He means he hopes the current German and Russian pilot models get updated to the same high standard. I do too. I'm sure they will get to it when they have time.

31 minutes ago, Jaws2002 said:

I understand that you can't show swastika in game, but in this particular case I think you are better off with a line of balkencrosses, like you have on other p47 instead of censored swastikas, . 

A single censored swastika on the rudder of a plane is fine, but this row of strange symbols doesn't look like kill markings. 

If they replaced the fake swasitkas with crosses, then people would bitch about how the skin is inaccurate. The only fully satisfactory solution to those who want an accurate rendition of this skin is to have a third-party artist create one. 

Just now, Danziger said:

He means he hopes the current German and Russian pilot models get updated to the same high standard. I do too. I'm sure they will get to it when they have time.

I know that. I didn't know if he was aware of the pilot model shown recently. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Lythronax said:

I had no idea USAAF pilots wore such comparatively modern kit!

Yeah, late war was a really interesting mix of the old and modern. Soft helmet and goggles but pretty advanced masks. Leather gloves but speed jeans and updated uniform materials/cuts and short(er) boots.

1 hour ago, Jaws2002 said:

I was looking at that and wonder if there couldn't be a better compromise for the kill markings on Western allied aircraft. A hakenkreuz with a little more detail but still edited enough to comply with the various laws that must be complied with. And yes, I recognize they MUST be complied with. That is not up for discussion. Playing with it a little I think leaving a touch more of the interior detail but still blotting the center like we all do when displaying it in the forums seems to do the trick. I don't think it works for the larger tail marking but for kill markings it seems to fit the bill AND be a lot less obtrusive - particularly on the smaller details.

Something like this.......................

th.jpg

Edited by II/JG17_HerrMurf
  • Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, II/JG17_HerrMurf said:

Yeah, late war was a really interesting mix of the old and modern. Soft helmet and goggles but pretty advanced masks. Leather gloves but speed jeans and updated uniform materials/cuts and short(er) boots.

I was looking at that and wonder if there couldn't be a better compromise for the kill markings on Western allied aircraft. A hakenkreuz with a little more detail but still edited enough to comply with the various laws that must be complied with. And yes, I recognize they MUST be complied with. That is not up for discussion. Playing with it a little I think leaving a touch more of the interior detail but still blotting the center like we all do when displaying it in the forums seems to do the trick. I don't think it works for the larger tail marking but for kill markings it seems to fit the bill AND be a lot less obtrusive - particularly on the smaller details.

th.jpg

Like a lot!

Sorry, that image ended up posting much larger than I expected. If the mods want it taken down, I am not opposed and approve the edit. Alternately, I will post the thought in it's own thread with a smaller image if necessary.

Did Jason or anybody else already mention whether there will be fragmentation bomblets for the USAAF?

I'd also love to have AB250s and AB500s modelled for ze Germans.

I seem to think one of the parties is getting them but I don't remember who. I'm leaning toward the Lufties but could be wrong. Regardless, of course, once the tech is established everyone who had cluster munitions will likely get them in the game.

6 hours ago, PA_Spartan- said:

We need the Mexican skin as well. :)

148_1.jpg

Is that a post war scheme?

I thought the ones that participated in World War 2 looked like this:

USAAF-44-33721-P-47D-Thunderbolt-Mexican-AF-201FS-18-01.jpg

post-9204-1248228697.jpg

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, SVTONY said:

Is that a post war scheme?

I thought the ones that participated in World War 2 looked like this:

USAAF-44-33721-P-47D-Thunderbolt-Mexican-AF-201FS-18-01.jpg

post-9204-1248228697.jpg

Ups! I think you're right!

Edited by PA_Spartan-
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Jaws2002 said:

Well that is up to personal taste I guess. I don´t mind with the way it is shown right now and I fully understand that the game has to 100% comply with given laws in all countries. Everyone who sees the need for full historical markings is free to install skins where symbols aren´t edited.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, LukeFF said:

Yeah, I did see that. Looks great too.

Regarding the the censored swastika kill markings, i expect we will get them 'fixed' in a mod - maybe the existing authentic national markings mod for German aircraft. iirc they already included a 'fixed' skin for the A20B in that pack

yes, just checked - the 'Dashing Hitler' skin actually has a restored swastika on the Hitler motif beneath the cockpit.  

Edited by kendo
updated

1 hour ago, XIIIrowdyb00t said:

Hey Jason , I was wondering since the pilot models are so detailed will we be able to have a pilot in the pit option?

There is a mod for that.

The jug looks absolutely amazing! I've been looking forward to flying it for a long time, this will be a dream come true!

A question that I have is: Will the Oxygen masks be added to the Russian and 1944< German pilots?

Another question is:  Will the U-2 be available for pre-order, or will it be added to the store the day it's released?

16 minutes ago, kendo said:

Yeah, I did see that. Looks great too.

Regarding the the censored swastika kill markings, i expect we will get them 'fixed' in a mod - maybe the existing authentic national markings mod for German aircraft. iirc they already included a 'fixed' skin for the A20B in that pack

yes, just checked - the 'Dashing Hitler' skin actually has a restored swastika on the Hitler motif beneath the cockpit.  

Sure, but looking for a better result as default. Not a Mods On kinda guy for the most part.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, StaB/Tomio_VR*** said:

It would be interesting to know which ground units are planned for Bodenplatte in a next DD...

Is there any ships planned for this front in particular ?

It wuld be nice to see what ground units are planed, and from map area they show us before, there is not mutch sea on its north west side, i dont expect any new ships but maybe we get just some cargo or destroyer ships to sit in dutch ports if there was any big attacks on them.

Edited by 77.CountZero

1 hour ago, II/JG17_HerrMurf said:

th.jpg

Much better alternative.

Apart from that roll on the Jug and the U2.

You Devs am de bestest eber.

Last pic is the best of the Jugs, but still not seeing my beer fridge and ash tray there in the cockpit.  Not like they didn't have enough room )).

Good work and lookingforward to any and all updates as they come down the wire.

50 minutes ago, Jade_Monkey said:

There is a mod for that

Yes I have the mod. I was just was wondering if it would be implemented in the game by the devs with animations or their thoughts on it

• Upvote 1

Fantastic 3 D modeling on the pilots and Jug, 

Exiting news about the U2 , gonna be nice flying that sowing machine