Sign in to follow this  
Bladderburst

Tank crew, tank commander

Hello,

I understand that this is an early access product.

However unless I am mistaken, there is no tank commander station in tanks? For Soviet ones I get it, T34 only had 3 guys until it got the new turret but for German ones I think it's a must, especially if you plan to have several people in the same vehicle.

In real life the commander is always looking outside and pointing targets and directing the driver. This should be somehow modeled, like commander points to the target, the AI fires on it, or if it's a player controlling the turret a blip is added on the turret clock and he turns there. It would make acquiring targets faster for tanks where the commander is not the gun layer, the real reason why the commander is not the gun layer in real life. I think that the game Steel Fury 1942 Kharkov did that actually.

A thing you are doing wrong with optics is that you have progressive zoom levels. I don't know the optics of those tanks but generally you have 2 magnification levels, you can't progressively zoom. Also when the turret is rotated with mouse, I can point the mouse in the direction I want the turret to turn but the optics are offscreen making me temporary blind. This would never happen in reality as the gunner has his face glued to the optics. The camera should be slaved to the optics.

And lastly as a footnote, I hope we'll see infantry in the game. You don't have much choice since combat always involved infantry and was rarely real tank duels.

Keep up the good work.

From the Dev Diary 200 back in August:

For Tank Crew, M4A2 "Sherman" and Pz. IV Ausf.G are in the works. Both of these tanks have interesting peculiarities and we hope to model most of them in the sim. Today we can show you the first WIP screenshots of one of them. In addition, the work on the detailed buildings for Prokhorovka map will be finished soon. We begin the AI development for player controllable tanks and will start the work on implementing additional tank systems and their damage modeling, tank commander functionality and tank radio communications.