fiddlinjim

PIMAX 5K+ Pre-Orders being accepted

Visited the PIMAX site, logged-on and added the 5K+ headset and Base Stations to my cart for pre-ordering but unable to complete transaction. 

Tried repeatedly but PIMAX site would not forward me onto PAYPAL for payment even though it is listed as an approved method of payment . 

They use an ALLIPAY site for payment that appears like it may work, but I am not familiar with it.

Has anyone been able to use PAYPAL for the PIMAX pre-order???

40 minutes ago, fiddlinjim said:

Visited the PIMAX site, logged-on and added the 5K+ headset and Base Stations to my cart for pre-ordering but unable to complete transaction. 

Tried repeatedly but PIMAX site would not forward me onto PAYPAL for payment even though it is listed as an approved method of payment . 

They use an ALLIPAY site for payment that appears like it may work, but I am not familiar with it.

Has anyone been able to use PAYPAL for the PIMAX pre-order???

nope.. been trying for couple of hours now :) same deal as yours... paypal doesn't go thru, says "contact your business administrator' or something like that..

Does anyone know how to contact Pimax customer support to tell them the PayPal link is not working.   I didn't see any path on their website.

same problem here, but the alipay works fine, I have the account there, however I live in overseas and I wish to pay USD on it.

In my case the whole website seems to be down. 

PimaxVR

But here some intresting comments from the 3 VR experts. 

Edited by Dutch2

After checking through Google about the PIMAX website, it appears that everyone is having trouble:

Various comments from users trying to pre-order:

1. Can't access the site at all

2. When did access the site 2 days ago  it ran painfully slow or kicked you off

3. Neither Paypal, Alipay or direct credit card charges are setup to be accepted.

4. No delivery dates forecasted

5. No warranty info in the event of trouble

6. Hand motion option is for a Leap setup

7. Some concern that the base stations may not be ready to ship with the headset 

Edited by fiddlinjim
Update Info

Sounds like 7 good reasons to stay away from it, at least for now.

I look forward to hearing from all the backers - regular day folks doing what we do,  on how they like it. Whenever

they do all finally get their headsets.

Edited by dburne
  • Upvote 1

I am pretty upset that it tells you the 1st round is finished now and you have to wait for the 2nd round to start pre-order, if everyone is having problems with the pre-order,who actually bought it? and how many are actually available for pre-order? just ridiculous

@III./JG5_ppph I think that “1st round over” is just wording for “we messed up, we are going back to the drawing board”

@coconut I would say so, however it can be easily tested out before rolling out to us. It is a bit pity that it has to end like this. 

While it does appear from all the reviews that PIMAX has successfully developed a product that is head and shoulders above the competition,

it also is evident that the next thing they desperately need to focus on is hiring a competent team of web designers.   Their Website expertise

has got to be at the lowest level of competency.      

Edited by fiddlinjim
error

You guys are a little braver than I am. I am curious to see though how several users such as yourself feel about it once you have it.

So I will wait a while and look forward to hearing the reports.

Just as well I am already spending a lot of bucks on my new rig to be put together here soon, still gathering parts.

And I am still loving my rock solid Rift - but also I do more than just IL-2 in it so it offers me a lot in that area.

I think a lot of folks here, if not most , use VR primarily and maybe only for IL-2.

yeah, it is back online, I already order one, I just hope it would be as good as it was told over the youtube by those youtubers, just sad that the VR optical frames are not available to order, not sure what to do with my glasses.

1 hour ago, moosya said:

pre-order is back on! 

the site actually works now, was able to pay for it as well...   Go get it, boys and girls!!! 😄

I just took the plunge along with moosya and the others, I just hope to hell this thing is as good as the You-Tube reviewers said it is.

• Upvote 1

this guy gives a rather uplifting review of 5K+..

Then I tried the Pimax 5K+. I started Elite: Dangerous, but I had double-vision at first, because the parallel projection setting in PiTool hadn't been turned on. One of the Pimax folks fixed this for me, and checked the other settings, setting the FOV to Large and the resolution to 1.25.

Once the game was started, I found myself in a gas giant's ring system, and was instantly disappointed. The text was fuzzy. It was almost exactly like the Vive Pro, in my estimation. The additional FOV made a fantastic difference, of course, but as I tried looking at various instruments, screens, and game modes, I was coming to the conclusion that I'd be sticking with the 8K. It wasn't bad, —it just wasn't any better than the 8K, and maybe a little worse.

But then the other backer who I'd been swapping off with asked, "can we try it in Normal?" So we restarted things with PiTool set to Normal and 1.5 resolution. (If you're reading this, other backer whose name I won't say without permission, please check me—I believe that Large × 1.25 → Normal × 1.5 were the two configurations we tried? I forgot to write it down. Update: as we worked out in comments below, it couldn't have been 1.5. So maybe it was Large × 1.0 → Normal × 1.25. I can't swear to it, though.)

I got the game restarted, and when the ship cockpit came up, I audibly gasped. I said "oh my God, look", ripped the 5K+ off, and pressed it to the other backer, who held the headset up to his eyes—and then he gasped as well.

The text was gorgeous. Absolutely crisp, seeming as crisp as on a flat panel. Almost more so, since the letters giving the name of the star system were hanging in air and remained crisp as I leaned in and out and bobbed my head a bit.

I tried a few other menus and game modes to be sure the effect wasn't a fluke of the HUD setting. It wasn't; it was absolutely unequivocally a step above either the Vive Pro or the 8K. My buddy who said he was a developer working on non-game VR said he could imagine working with virtual screens around him with this level of image quality, and so could I.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Pimax/comments/9rh5cr/my_ny_meetup_impressions_elite_dangerous_on_5k_vs/

1 hour ago, fiddlinjim said:

I just took the plunge along with moosya and the others, I just hope to hell this thing is as good as the You-Tube reviewers said it is.

i was on the fence about pimax until literally this week. The review of the local US backers from the LA/NY meet ups really made me reconsider here... 😄

Edited by moosya

42 minutes ago, TP_Merlin said:

Check this if you tried to order, they are going complete orders that could not pay on 24th October:

http://forum.pimaxvr.com/t/pre-order-first-round-users-please-place-order-in-the-new-system-with-your-old-email-address/9672/8

I tried to place my order using my email address on the 24 along with most of the others , so hopefully we are at the top of the list>

• Like 1

I know I can be a bit skeptical and don't mean to cast any doubts, but does no one else find it a bit odd that they are opening 

up for pre-orders before the Kickstarter backers orders have even begun to be filled?

IIRC the original plan was to fulfill every Kickstarter backer's orders before opening up orders for the general public.

6 minutes ago, dburne said:

I know I can be a bit skeptical and don't mean to cast any doubts, but does no one else find it a bit odd that they are opening 

up for pre-orders before the Kickstarter backers orders have even begun to be filled?

IIRC the original plan was to fulfill every Kickstarter backer's orders before opening up orders for the general public.

think of it as a "reservation" more so than a pre-order. They're stating a February release but according to my space calculations I suspect I won't see the unit until May-June of next year. The paypal hasn't released any money to the pimax but merely 'authorized' until pimax is ready to process and fulfill the order. The risk is minimal, but the gains, if true, are pretty cool.

Far too expensive for me; $700 dollars for the headset, another $300 for the base station plus the all-too-possible need to upgrade my GTX1070.

Short of a lottery win I'll be sticking to TrackIR for a while longer... have fun all. I hope it's as good as has been promised, and hope too that one day I'll be able to justify the expense.

Cheers.

3 hours ago, moosya said:

think of it as a "reservation" more so than a pre-order. They're stating a February release but according to my space calculations I suspect I won't see the unit until May-June of next year. The paypal hasn't released any money to the pimax but merely 'authorized' until pimax is ready to process and fulfill the order. The risk is minimal, but the gains, if true, are pretty cool.

That should be around the same time Oculus announces the next gen Rift with an estimated ship date.

;)

Of course I am ever the optimist some times, usually more pessimistic really. Think it is the steroids I am on for a few days for a back issue.

I am excited to hear from the Pimax backers when they have their headsets.

Ya never know, I can be open to things. If I start seeing a lot of positive comments from every day users, I will be tempted undoubtedly. 

As a 32## Pimax 8K backer, I'm not holding my breath for any delivery soon, if ever, judging by the inexplicable procrastination at the assembly lines. I'm perfectly fine using my Vive Pro for the next 12 months. I like to keep my expectations low. But who knows. Maybe there will be a miracle at Christmas.😁

• Like 1

I really don´t understand that hypetrain.......

1. it would take ages to get one delivered when you order one NOW!

2. Seriously.......is there any GPU NOW available on the market which can operate the 8k or 5k in Ultra high graphics Settings with high Resolution AA Settings and big FOV???? NO ( don´t come up with the RTX-2080Ti, the Benchmarks tell a clear Story )!!!

3. Is the Lighthouse 2 System available anywhere to buy NOW ( except in a Vive Pro Package, which I had and returned )??? NO!!!! Even Lighthouse 1 is not easy to get now!

I will wait for Rift 2 and some serious GPU which can REALLY handle NEXT GEN VR to get the best results! Till then I am happy with the Rift, which runs smoothly with a 1080Ti.

Edited by spitfirejoe

ordered pimax 5kplus and base stations and controller yesterday night, so let the Show begin in any way😎

Edited by II/JG11ATLAN

Looking forward to hear your reports guys!

I`m not in a hurry, waited already for a long time for a decent VR headset, I can wait a bit more. If a Pimax 5k+ is not good enough, I`ll wait more 😊. But I`ll have to say that reports so far are very promising.

Edited by LLv24_Zami

16 hours ago, 216th_Cat said:

Far too expensive for me; $700 dollars for the headset, another $300 for the base station plus the all-too-possible need to upgrade my GTX1070.

Short of a lottery win I'll be sticking to TrackIR for a while longer... have fun all. I hope it's as good as has been promised, and hope too that one day I'll be able to justify the expense.

Cheers.

Yeb but it is exclusive shipping, custums and tax, so in my case it will be nearly $1000,-  only after that I need to buy the 2080ti and i9-9900k upgrade and the additional Pimax controllers. 

I know the Pimax is good, but the complete package to run it on a decent level, is for me is to expensive, so I will wait for the Samsung Odessey plus, review and will go for the Samsung Odessey with or without the plus. 

I know lesser VR experience, but for me payable. 

Edited by Dutch2

I'll be waiting for the reports by the backers and guys in here.

Anybody who ever got into touch with marketing knows how things work, hence I would never trust the influencers on YouTube.

Can't wait to hear from you guys however. Please share your experiences once you got the thing working, and be critical in both pros and cons.👍

• Upvote 2

On 10/26/2018 at 9:14 PM, moosya said:

hink of it as a "reservation" more so than a pre-order.

They know they have to produce more than 4000 units for the backers, I am in the list aorund #1000 but didn´t receive any email to confirm address.

I think they are opening for pre-orders to estimate the future production for next year and size accordingly. As you said, the payment is not done until it is shipped. So not too much risk.

On 10/27/2018 at 2:21 AM, spitfirejoe said:

Seriously.......is there any GPU NOW available on the market which can operate the 8k or 5k in Ultra high graphics Settings with high Resolution AA Settings and big FOV???? NO ( don´t come up with the RTX-2080Ti, the Benchmarks tell a clear Story )!!!

I had afraid of that since I have a 1080Ti. But looking at the GPU load of a 1080ti with Pimax5K+ with IL2 and normal FOV it was clear to me that a 1080Ti is very valid card (Swevier video). The problem is not in the GPU but in the CPU as usual.

Edited by chiliwili69
  • Upvote 1

There are reports on reddit about payments being already processed, so be warned. 

1 hour ago, PainGod85 said:

Am I seeing this right, you need to buy the sensor separately?

Yes,  sensor is separate..

2 hours ago, PainGod85 said:

Am I seeing this right, you need to buy the sensor separately?

if you're a rift user then you need to buy the base station sensor either from pimax or from vive. If you have vive then your existing base station will work fine with pimax.

Preordered Pimax 5K BE VR Headset , hands on OLED screen 999.00$ and Pimax 8k VR  Headset , hands on : 899.00$ +    (++2XRTX 2080TI NVIDIA ) 2 PCs .

& 2 X Pimax Base Stations and Wirelless Controllers with Trackpad : 600.00$ 

Shipping in 6-12 months: 110.00$ 

For : 2,608.00$ 

Shipping in half or one year for the Me262 A-2a .

34 minutes ago, RAY-EU said:

Preordered Pimax 5K BE VR Headset , hands on OLED screen 999.00$ and Pimax 8k VR  Headset , hands on : 899.00$ +    (++2XRTX 2080TI NVIDIA ) 2 PCs .

& 2 X Pimax Base Stations and Wirelless Controllers with Trackpad : 600.00$ 

Shipping in 6-12 months: 110.00$ 

For : 2,608.00$ 

Shipping in half or one year for the Me262 A-2a .

I think you needed one more...

:o:

Congrats! Hope they are everything you are wishing for!

Looking for my own lenses parameters graduation 9( already adapted for my pimax 4K)  for my view better definition , but not ready yet for the Pimax 5K , 8k .

Yes for HTC VIVE PRO right now !

Early 2019 will be probably available! 

https://vr-lens-lab.com/product/lens-inserts/