Go_Pre

Zoom while Shooting

(Edit: this thread is not meant for discussing the legitimacy of the zoom feature; we have enough of that! This is merely about how you personally implement the feature while fighting.)

or “Zoom whilst Shooting” for my red-coated friends. 

In the original IL2, I often shot while zoomed in (sometimes in gunsight view, often in whatever the in-between setting was called). However, I’ve found recently that shooting only slightly zoomed in from all-the-way-out has increased my accuracy and, for whatever reason, has made the game even more enjoyable. I’ve settled on using zoom for spotting (especially ground targets), but little else.*

When I watch YouTube videos, though, it seems most prefer to shoot as zoomed in as possible. 

Does anyone else shoot zoomed out? 

—————————

*Fun fact: most know that A-10 pilots have been known to use binoculars to help spotting, but even air to air platforms as recent as the F-15C have flown with them. 

Edited by Go_Pre

I do both depending on circumstance. If I'm in a big fight or doing some high angle deflection shooting I'll only zoom in a bit to get a bitter view of the gun sight but still keep some awareness of what is going on around me. If I'm doing long range shooting or perusing a single target I find I zoom in a bit more to more carefully place shots or more clearly see a target and where the rounds are landing at range.

I find too much zoom screws up my sense of distance and completely borks my situational awareness. I also tend to jump my reticle around more, chasing the target. Zoomed out a little more and I'm more smooth. 

There's a sweet spot about halfway into the zoom for me for shooting.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Go_Pre said:

(Edit: this thread is not meant for discussing the legitimacy of the zoom feature; we have enough of that! This is merely about how you personally implement the feature while fighting.)

or “Zoom whilst Shooting” for my red-coated friends. 

In the original IL2, I often shot while zoomed in (sometimes in gunsight view, often in whatever the in-between setting was called). However, I’ve found recently that shooting only slightly zoomed in from all-the-way-out has increased my accuracy and, for whatever reason, has made the game even more enjoyable. I’ve settled on using zoom for spotting (especially ground targets), but little else.*

When I watch YouTube videos, though, it seems most prefer to shoot as zoomed in as possible. 

Does anyone else shoot zoomed out? 

—————————

*Fun fact: most know that A-10 pilots have been known to use binoculars to help spotting, but even air to air platforms as recent as the F-15C have flown with them. 

I shoot zoomed in or out. Depends on circumstances.

Nice to see you active again Go-Pre. The game has improved so much since our early gripes.

Edited by 7./JG26_Smokejumper

I adjust my seat position almost all the way back, then use about 1/4 to 1/3 zoom, set it and leave it. I only zoom in for ground spotting and then pull back out to my default position for everything else.

From default FOV setting I will increase "Zoom" a little when shooting but not so much as I loose the forward glass frame which I find good as a reference.  Reducing FOV aka Zooming right in on the sight, I find is hard to keep a track of the target and one looses sense of what is happening around them.

Still waiting for my HMD for VR so I will have Full Zoom but with decent FOV (1 to 1 scale representation of cockpit with 150 Degree horizontal FOV).  That's if my system can drive it LOL.

I don't  like zoom for shooting. I feel like it's more realistic to get lot's of missed shots than get full zoom and snipe someone with 2hits.

It really depends on the shot. If you have a plane flying across your cockpit you will want to be zoomed out to track it. If they are in front and not turning I will zoom on. 

I only zoom in fully for long range sniping of fleeing prey. Helps lining up on a steady target. Else, I hardly use more more zoom than 1/3rd of the zoom range besides target ID.

40 minutes ago, =EXPEND=Tripwire said:

for long range shots on a plane fleeing that is probably outside of guns range anyway. 

Oh, with center line guns, you can hit over 700 meters. Especially with that 23 mm gun. Besides, some traces zooming by will make the target move, thus bleeding speed.

In maneuvering less zoom, while sneaking up I zoom fully in to detect the smallest movements of my target.
Furthermore you can see his blindspots a bit better

19 hours ago, 7./JG26_Smokejumper said:

I shoot zoomed in or out. Depends on circumstances.

Nice to see you active again Go-Pre. The game has improved so much since our early gripes.

Thanks brother, it certainly has. 

Zoomed out. Zooming in always felt like it required me to become more accurate.

22 hours ago, Fern said:

Zoomed out. Zooming in always felt like it required me to become more accurate.

Same here.

I have the zoom axis programmed into the MFG Crosswinds pedals left toebrake. Love the ease and ability to rapidly magnify at a distance, plane ID improves.

• Like 1

I've never used a zoom view for shooting. I've never used it to spot air or ground targets either. Not sure why on the second part as it seems like a valid tool, sort of like having a typical airman's excellent eyesight that was required to fly back then.

Ir I were a real pilot in my bf109 , I would have binoculars with me for spotting , and I would take my little pocket mirror with me too , for looking at my six 😁🤔

Posted (edited)

This thread cracks me up!

If the plane is moving relatively quickly to you you will have to pan out! If it is flying relatively normal to you then you will pan in! 

End 

Edited by AeroAce

4 hours ago, Kandiru said:

I have the zoom axis programmed into the MFG Crosswinds pedals left toebrake. Love the ease and ability to rapidly magnify at a distance, plane ID improves.

I do that too. It’s really good because it keeps your fingers free. 

On 1/2/2019 at 6:22 PM, AeroAce said:

This thread cracks me up!

If the plane is moving relatively quickly to you you will have to pan out! If it is flying relatively normal to you then you will pan in! 

End 

More opinions and techniques for zoom have already been offered than your simplified explanation so no, clearly not “end.”

i zoom in for the shot (bad habit that i retained since war thunder) and zoom out in dogfights so that I can keep track with less head movement... The t1.6000 has a nice wheel on the throttle that I can use to quickly zoom in/out. Is it realistic? No but we play (well.... I do) on a 1080p monitor and not on my eyes "resolution" so I find it to be a neat tool to compensate. Also zooming for ground targets... That is something i learned to do in DCS a10c. This zoom feature also comes in handy at other games, namely milsims like Arma and Squad/Post scriptum for the same reasons as in flight.

On 1/2/2019 at 9:45 PM, Kandiru said:

Good idea, will try that.
I zoom in mostly when spotting ground targets.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, ST_ami7b5 said:

Good idea, will try that.
I zoom in mostly when spotting ground targets.

Surely having zoom on pedals has got to be a terrible idea. 1) it means that you are sacrificing the use of toe breaks and 2) every time you zoom in or out you run the chance of upsetting the yaw of the aircraft (with my sensitive peds anyway for sure) which is one of the most important control surfaces for accurate shooting.

That really does not make sence to me at all!!!!!!

Edited by AeroAce

I used to zoom in for shots, but recently I've found that it actually does not make me more accurate, and tends to make me overcorrect for enemy movements. I zoom in to ID and track as needed, but when it's time to shoot I try and stay zoomed out. 

The increased situational awareness and field of view somehow allows me to be more delicate with my movements, and better lead my shots.

I got it attached to the slide axis button on my Saitek X52 throttle. To me its a fantastic ergonomic button to use zoom with my left thumb. To the point that i have not changed my old X52 to a Hotas Warthog this Christmas because of this button (i will try to figure out how to implement the way I use the zoom before I change to warthog). This have me doubting about changing to Warthog or to X56 wich have the same slide as X52. I wish Warthog had a so ergonomic slide button in the throttle.

I use zoom to search and identify enemy planes and ground objects when flyinh around, and for shooting (but then I only apply full zoom if i engage  only one enemy). I put zoom just in the seconds previous to shot, and if the background have some clouds against sky, or ground terrain in the distance, to serve me as reference of my movements; sometimes when I have applied full zoom while turning chasing enemy at hight alt, against deep blue sky, I have lost references of speed and position of my own plane and then stalled. 

To me this is a lovely feature of the game I constantly use. I love to watch details and shapes of enemy planes zoomed when shooting, or enjoy zooming friendly planes when flying formation.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, AeroAce said:

Surely having zoom on pedals has got to be a terrible idea. 1) it means that you are sacrificing the use of toe breaks and 2) every time you zoom in or out you run the chance of upsetting the yaw of the aircraft (with my sensitive peds anyway for sure) which is one of the most important control surfaces for accurate shooting.

I have the brakes and tail wheel lock on the left hat of the Warthog stick, perfect for maneuvering the 109 on the ground, except when the TAW server is in full winter with taxiways and runways iced up:)

Edited by Kandiru

yeah I can see that but it is still not gona help my number 2 point 

Just now, AeroAce said:

yeah I can see that but it is still not gona help my number 2 point 

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Haza said:

HA HA (like a walrus clapping). Dont see the person read the post!

Edited by AeroAce

7 hours ago, AeroAce said:

It works really well because it keeps your hands free and you can use the zoom very quickly and easily. Zoom is best used on an axis. 

In sims like A-10C your fingers are completely occupied by HOTAS buttons and you can zoom view while using commands. 

I have brakes mapped to HOTAS buttons. R and L for some and some aircraft just the single button (lever). Brakes are only used briefly taxiing whereas the zoom view is used constantly so it’s worth the trade. Modern aircraft can handle a single left toe mono brake. Only WWII birds really need R and L. 

The issue of controlling yaw and zoom simultaneously is quirky but easy.