Developer Diary, Part 52

Fire and Smoke are more complex now. Very well done! And the explosions of dameged Planes are and sound awsome.

Stalingrad smoke is fps killer but, the hardware is getting only better. Playing on Ultera.

The Tracers and Trees are still the same right?

Keep up the great work and meke the future planes at the same detail level as the Bf 109. Lagg is not so well done, i meen the external model.

First impression after flown short sortie in Bf109: Massive drop of performance over Stalingrad, has been much better last week and - that's odd - throttle in 109 is now mapped to the manual prop pitch rocker switch (which is placed on right side of throttle to control it by thumb). Mapped throttle axis new, same result. Throttle itself doesn't move anymore. Anybody else got this problem?

In Bf auto prop pitch is default, I am very happy to see that manual prop pitch is working. Important for better control i. e. at landing with "halb zwölf" position at your little pitch control gauge/clock. So there should be a possibility to switch between man/auto in your settings but still missing that command.

Edited by feuervogel

Throttle animation is messed up, but it still works correctly as a control.  In fact, if you move your rudders, this will cause the throttle animation to move.  Really confounded me for a while there.

Yes, rudder is moving throttle ... ahhh ... chaos! Hoping it's a side effect of WIP finally to get the bf cockpit including function and gauges complete ... and LaGG, too. Of course. Enjoyed the new spotting distance!

The city is starting to look really organic and believable; a very good improvement. The only issue I can see is the smoke stacks phasing in and out from a distance.

There is also an issue with no sound when landing.

To be honest I think instead of a few very big smoke columns (though they look really good) I'd prefer more but smaller ones over Stalingrad. Would look more real for my taste. Let's not forget that in this city battles have been fought to conquer floors of houses ... so there should be smoke and fire everywhere. Of course I understand that some concessions have to be made in order not to get a slideshow over Stalingrad. I also wonder - with the current frame drops over Stalingrad (for me about -10 fps, from 37 to 26 or so) how it will be with a more populated map. Currently it is very playabl with very very few objects. But what happens if it will be more crowded? How will it work out on multiplayer?

Edited by sturmkraehe

I am very impressed by how smooth everything is running on ultra. I did not check the frame rates, but I can instantly tell that BOS is running much better on my computer. I enjoy all of the new content, like the AAA and the very good draw distance. I did notice the graphic issue with the levers, but I don't really look at the levers most of the time, rather, I look at my manifold pressure gauge and my R.P.M. guage, so it is no big deal. Frankly, I am so happy with how well BOS is running on my computer this session and I have no complaints. The graphic issue is minor and I am glad that the session was not delayed over the matter. I would like to thank the dev team, including the testers, for all of their efforts, including, but not limited to, the new content and optimization improvements. I am very pleased with everything.  :happy:

:salute: MJ

Edited by =69.GIAP=MIKHA

Pe-2 before Yak? That's interesting, and welcome to me as I love the Peshka (though I imagine many will prefer the more equal opposition the Yak offers vs. the Bf 109.)

Yeah, a Pe-2 is for the greater good. Peshka is one heck of a machine.  I can't speak for any other VVS simmer, but I really like the LaGG-3 and I don't mind roughing it out with her in multiplayer. It will all come down to practice, tactics, teamwork, and luck, Yak-1 or no Yak-1. It will be great to see the Pe-2's in game. :salute: MJ 

Wow. Just... wow. I wasn't aware Spring is limited to a single day.

Well, to be fair, in the northern hemisphere, spring is considered to start around the equinox...ca 20rd of march ;)

So anytime after that and until sometime in the end of may I guess, would be spring..;)

Finally I got a chance to at least fly a couple of ground attack missions in the Lagg in this update.

Some observations:

It is looking and sounding really good, Stalingrad colors are definitely improving.

I like the looks of the smoke better, however it seems to have come at a cost of a larger performance impact flying through the smoky areas of Stanlingrad. My system dipped down to around 18-20 fps through the smoke - granted I am running on Ultra preset, but  fps has certainly taken a bit of a hit in this update. Even so, it was very smooth and fluid throughout the whole mission, I did not see any stuttering.

Love the AAA and Flak, sounds are very good also.

Not sure how I feel about those vertical lines on the object markers... seems a bit much too me. I know I know, I will eventually be flying with them off anyway.

My graphics settings managed to stay as I had them set last week, did not have to change that. I did have to reset my custom realism settings.

Same in the controllers - they stayed as assigned -  with the exception, of dead zone settings. These are still not " sticking" between exiting and restarting the sim, unlike the sensitivity setting, have to reset my deadzones every time I launch the sim.

Motion Blur - seems to bother me more in this update for whatever reason, maybe seeing it more due to lower framerates? Is almost making me nauseous this time.

Some cockpit graphic glitches which have already been discussed by others, like the throttle not moving appropriately, etc.

Dropping bombs on tanks - my aim still is horrible - they continue to laugh at me as I fly by - but that one is on me :).

This huge smoke effects above Stalingrad are killing my frames. Normally I get an average of 45 frames (low above the city), now only 34 frames (flying through the smoke 27 for some seconds).

May be showing this huge smoke randomly and only one or two columns of smoke at the same time would be a better idea.

Instead of heavy smoke I would like to see trucks, tanks, ships (in spring/summer) and troops on the ground.

So saving some graphical power for this stuff could be a good way to find a well balanced solution in the end of the development process.

System: MSI Z77A-G41, Intel i5-3570 3.4 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Nvidia GTX 660 Ti 3GB GDDR5, Windows 7 64 Bit SP1

• Upvote 1

Thanks for the update.

The flak, AAA, art, animations and effects all look good.

Found some bridges, have not attempted to destroy these yet. Wonder if they are distructable?

Are the Devs going to be playing with the testers Sunday also?

How many planes at any one given time in the MP testing I wonder?

Multi GPU support, looking forward to this option when ready.

Suggestion:

Would be good to see flaming pilots on late bails.

Suggestion:

Would be good to see flaming pilots on late bails.

Really? Why? Did it happen much? And when it did, were they really covered in visible flames after leaping into the slipstream?

No thank you!

I notice that if you turn off the HUD once in a session that it now stays off until reactivated.

Another small but important step.

Indeed, very nice.

I hated it to check it each and every time, cause I was (mostly) in the take off proces.

Wow, high AoA behavior seems to be fine-tuned, planes do accelerated stalls now. Also, blackouts come more easily, did anyone notice that?

I really love that you fixed the 109's throttle too!

Great work, I can't wait for a QMB to have some more variety ;)

Wow, high AoA behavior seems to be fine-tuned, planes do accelerated stalls now. Also, blackouts come more easily, did anyone notice that?

Yes, I noticed, possibly some change to the elastic band effect too, but the rudders are still way too sensitive.

Yes i notice some changes in pitch and rudder working. There is less spring back pitch movement and pitch feels more slugish in 109.  Still there is high oscilation and huge gyro moment (expecially in negative pitch movements). Rudder still casue flick roll.  Also slats dont work like should in 109 and for me it has too nasty stall characteristic. It should be more gentle and forgiving.

Alhough i just made quick test need more time to check.

Edited by Kwiatek

109 does indeed fell much better. Flick rolls with rudder still weird though.

And glad spotting has been improved, its absolutely fine now, unlike before.

All in all quite positive this week.

Edited by fruitbat

nice update! was fun taking out the AAA gun and catching a round in my wing then trying to return to base. misjudged my glide path after the engines cut and had a ruff landing just short of the runway. haha

The visual improvements are looking really good. there are a few minor things with the smoke over city but im sure you know this. Awesome update and I think this sim deserves a new machine guys! just an excuse to build an insane rig :)

I dunno if flick rolls from rudder movements are not caused by too big gyro momento in 109?   It is the same like with negative pitch.  Tried LAgg and it seemed that Lagg is not affected by these.  Rudder work more naturally also there is not such gyro during negative pitch  ( still dont know how it be if Lagg would has trimm worked).

Edited by Kwiatek

Thanks Again Dev Crew,

Enjoying the flights this weekend.  Glad to hear a multi-engine...multi-crew plane (PE-2) isn't so far away from trying it out !

Keep up the great work....

Graphics seem smooth this weekend so far....

Semper Fi

AldoUSMC