Sign in to follow this  
Mastermariner

FW 190 Down

It isn't a FW190, it's a T6 painted in Luftwaffe colours etc.

Edit:  a North American SNJ-5.

von Tom

Edited by von_Tom

Fw-190! Really now, someone needs to have his sim pilot certificate revoked, immediately.  As soon as I saw the cowling and landing gear I knew it was a T-6. I used to fly out of Van Nuys. It's where I got my pilots license. The Condor Legion is a group of T-6/SNJ owners who have their planes painted up in the various colors of WW2 air forces. Used to see them all the time. Too bad.

• Haha 1

So

1 minute ago, Poochnboo said:

Fw-190! Really now, someone needs to have his sim pilot certificate revoked, immediately.

Yeah, a bit sad, but not 190 sad.

Right! You have to love the way the press, not knowing anything about aviation, writes up these stories. The headline reads, "Vintage German Airplane explodes....." And then goes on to say that it's a North American SNJ.

1 minute ago, Gambit21 said:

Yeah, a bit sad, but not 190 sad.

• Upvote 1

That's about typical for the press anymore, no matter what they're talking about.

Apparently owned by Condor, who stages air show events. The article I just read did state it was a T-6 Texan dressed in German markings though.

8D7B5C2C-5154-4464-90E8-4689BE98341A.jpeg

Edited by BornToBattle

You get a flyable T 6 texan for 100 000$ a excellent close to 300 000$ . A authentic FW 190 cost up to 5 000 000 $  So it is pretty big difference. Considering where it landed it, might have caused peoples life. So it is all in all not bad news 

Doing your best to get colours matching and the emblems including the green heart bu no Swastika? :acute:

That is asking for problems.

That last picture shows the airplane in one piece. It was probably still saveable at that point. But with traffic being what it is over there (Really, it's beyond words. You would think I was exaggerating), it took the fire department a long time to get there. I'm sure. 

9 hours ago, Uufflakke said:

Doing your best to get colours matching and the emblems including the green heart bu no Swastika? :acute:

That is asking for problems.

It had a swastika on the tail. you just don't see it in any of the images from the crash.

Friend of mine does air to air shoots with that group quite often. Here is some pictures from an air shoot with the Condor Squadron in 2009.
http://www.vg-photo.com/airshow/memday2009/05252009.html

The plane in the crash is in some of the photos.

Wheels

6 hours ago, wheelsup_cavu said:

It had a swastika on the tail. you just don't see it in any of the images from the crash.

Wheels

This screen grab from the news report doesn't have a swastika on the tail ?

No Swastika.jpg

No Swastika 2.jpg

Edited by bzc3lk

I had never seen them flying without the swastikas but you are correct about this one not having one it seems. I found a picture from the 2013 Camarillo airshow of the aircraft involved in the crash and it wasn't sporting one then either.

https://www.air-and-space.com/20130817%20Camarillo/20130817%20Camaril_0885%20SNJ-4%20N7969C%20left%20side%20l.jpg

Wheels