Bonkin

TFS Developer Update – October 2018

Well using the realism argument when talking about the difference between clicking a virtual button and pushing a keyboard button isn't really working.

It's really a matter of convenience and/or immersion, yes that I can agree with but certainly not realism because if you want to talk realism I believe using the actual button in the cockpit of the plane (with the mouse that works as an extention of your hand) instead of the keyboard (I haven't seen many ww2 computer keyboards yet) seems more realistic because it is more accurate and true to life as per the definition of the word.

Edited by =FEW=Hauggy

will anything be done with the implementation of FFB? in current il2 it sucks, and in cliffs its not much better...will we get a realistic implementation of FFB with 5.0?

the answer will depend whether i consider a purchase in future or not.

14 hours ago, 9./JG27DavidRed said:

will anything be done with the implementation of FFB? in current il2 it sucks, and in cliffs its not much better...will we get a realistic implementation of FFB with 5.0?

the answer will depend whether i consider a purchase in future or not.

FFB? What's that?

On 10/22/2018 at 9:43 PM, Buzzsaw said:

I think you will find your speculations as to release date are wildly pessimistic.  :dance:

Well in fairness we have had 3 years of "Jam tomorrow"... until you publish a schedule and plan, people are going to speculate based on their experience to date, it's human nature. 

• Upvote 2

Quiet you.

Stop speaking sense, it's not allowed.

• Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

Well My little to no lnowledge of making a simulator have left me to believe it take about the time it has, if you do not do it full time. Surely I cannot be the only one. I have never seen a promise of a day until now. You guys behave like you paid a ton of dollars for what is coming 

I remember driving into town to the EB to get IL-2 Sturmovik in 2001 release day. I think I reserved it in August. The K car I had was just a piece of junk you could wave at people out the side of the floor your feet would get soaked when it rained and you hoped and prayed that the ball would stay in the  socket of the shifting cable. When I got home I think everyone that could was flying until their heads hit their joy sticks  🤑 I had some good friends back then.

44739977085_359932b647_b.jpg

Edited by II./JG27_Rich

On 10/28/2018 at 2:16 PM, =FEW=Hauggy said:

(with the mouse that works as an extention of your hand) instead of the keyboard

-> And your feets? - what extention you use to control the rudder instead of the Flight Rudder Pedals? - mouse again? - 🤣

-> How you said the mouse works as an extention of your hand - Do you use two mouse - I mean you have two hands left and right.......

This feature  "clicking a virtual button" is nice to have. When you start-up the plane everything after that is done with hotas warthog

46 minutes ago, Livai said:

-> And your feets? - what extention you use to control the rudder instead of the Flight Rudder Pedals? - mouse again? - 🤣

-> How you said the mouse works as an extention of your hand - Do you use two mouse - I mean you have two hands left and right.......

This feature  "clicking a virtual button" is nice to have. When you start-up the plane everything after that is done with hotas warthog

You're just exaggerating my argument.

I'm only talking about pressing the buttons in the cockpit I could aswell have talked about the cursor instead of the mouse.

I'm not sure what you're trying to say here because you're not adding anything interesting to the discussion.

4 hours ago, =FEW=Hauggy said:

You're just exaggerating my argument.

I'm only talking about pressing the buttons in the cockpit I could aswell have talked about the cursor instead of the mouse.

I'm not sure what you're trying to say here because you're not adding anything interesting to the discussion.

I really hate when people say keyboard is more realistic and mouse sucks because you have magic thing flying in your plane (not saying you said it but i have seen it a lot on this forum).

Because clicking on keyboard is super realistic, bf109 had keyboard and if you wanted to trip your plane you would click CTRL+Arrow up... this is just stupid. It's all about preferences but saying keyboard is super realistic and clickable cockpit is highly unrealistic and stupid is just dumb.

I like to click on real buttons in plane, makes you learn a lot and limits spam of keyboards buttons to map.

Edited by InProgress
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, InProgress said:

I really hate when people say keyboard is more realistic and mouse sucks because you have magic thing flying in your plane (not saying you said it but i have seen it a lot on this forum).

Because clicking on keyboard is super realistic, bf109 had keyboard and if you wanted to trip your plane you would click CTRL+Arrow up... this is just stupid. It's all about preferences but saying keyboard is super realistic and clickable cockpit is highly unrealistic and stupid is just dumb.

I like to click on real buttons in plane, makes you learn a lot and limits spam of keyboards buttons to map.

Yep that's pretty much the point I was making.

I wouldn't use the word stupid or dumb it's a matter of opinion but in my point of view the mouse is somewhat more realistic than using the keyboard I don't dislike it but I can also live without it in Great Battles.

I am one o those guys never seen any purpose in clickable pits in COD, mostly because I never seen any use in them myself. However I never suggested it should be removed. I use clickable pits in DCS , not for the eel of immersion, but for the convenience .It is easier to remember the startup routine with clickable pits , but in COD it is basically open fuel and push E. I might have said clickable pit do not increase immersion or make it more realistic. I take that back, because starting up the A 10 and Harrier systems is basically starting up a computer with bad user interface and it feel in a funny way realistic. But in COD a panel with switches is by far the most realistic way to go. Because there is not more to click than you can remember.

A leo bodnar USB card and some cheap switches from a local shop is all you need

Edited by LuseKofte

15 hours ago, I/JG2_Saladin said:

I am using MS FF2 in Clod since 2011 !  It works not so bad. much better than in BOS and without Stutter bug 😉

Yer MS FF2 works fine in Clod but in BOS. Saladin please explain stutter bug?

This bug is know by all MS FF2 users and was discussed in this forum.

This is way i am not flying BOS

Edited by I/JG2_Saladin

What do you guys think about some tracks for CloD?  I just released the OST for Wings over the Reich, and am itching for the scale a war provides.

Christmas?

Q12. Is a pre-Christmas release a pipe dream?
Announcing Release dates is not TF's responsibility, however in regards to this question, we can provide some information:

We probably could have achieved a Christmas release, but this would mean excluding some of the new aircraft types, a reduction in the number of vehicles and ships, less improvements to the code and AI, and a less polished map. For that reason we decided against rushing to complete on this date. Our experience with TF 4.5 told us it is critically important to have a product which is refined and bug free out of the gate. First impressions are important. And clearly, a substantial amount of new content with an exciting new environment will be a major factor in generating player interest. We will freely admit TF 4.5 did not have the impact we had hoped for... we've learned our lesson and will make sure TF 5.0 has much bigger punch!

So with that in mind, we continue to work hard on creating this new module, and will have it ready as soon as it is done to a standard which we think the community expects in IL-2 products.

@LuseKofte

Clickable cockpits is the only thing I'm missing from BoX... I hate the "one button start-up", it kills any kind of immersion. Click, wait, go. Meh.

I don't use the clickable cockpit in CloD either, I have everything bound to my joystick and keyboard, but pressing a few buttons to do the start up, and actually doing things in the cockpit yourself is a lovely way to disguise the fact that IL-2 is a flight simulation game. DCS is a full blown simulator, so of course it would have a fully fledged start-up procedure. BoX does nothing to disguise the fact that it's a game, to its detriment imo.

Edited by No.615_Woop

40 minutes ago, No.615_Woop said:

@LuseKofte

Clickable cockpits is the only thing I'm missing from BoX... I hate the "one button start-up", it kills any kind of immersion. Click, wait, go. Meh.

I don't use the clickable cockpit in CloD either, I have everything bound to my joystick and keyboard, but pressing a few buttons to do the start up, and actually doing things in the cockpit yourself is a lovely way to disguise the fact that IL-2 is a flight simulation game. DCS is a full blown simulator, so of course it would have a fully fledged start-up procedure. BoX does nothing to disguise the fact that it's a game, to its detriment imo.

Hmm immersion  on star-up... In Clod you can click  how many things 2 or 3 to be ready to go ? Look at BoX automatic start procedure - how many things are depressed or moved .... If all that would need human input ... I would not mind to learn ,why not but I think devs decision was right in big picture - all or nothing.

Edited by 307_Tomcat

5 minutes ago, 307_Tomcat said:

Hmm immersion  on star-up... In Clod you can click  how many things 2 or 3 to be ready to go ? Look at BoX automatic start procedure - how many things are depressed or moved .... If all that would need human input ... I would not mind to learn ,why not but I think devs decision was right in big picture - all or nothing.

You said it yourself "In Clod you can click  how many things 2 or 3 to be ready to go ?"

That's exactly my point. It requires some pilot input. I grant you, not very much, but it's something. At least I'm doing it myself and not one button for me.

The most amazing thing would be a mix of the two. Click a few buttons to get going and then the button press takes over for the rest of the more complicated stuff.

5 hours ago, 307_Tomcat said:

Hmm immersion  on star-up... In Clod you can click  how many things 2 or 3 to be ready to go ?

Like almost all features in CloD start-up is incomplete/unfinished,  just need:

1 - open fuel cock 

2 - press - and not click - in a non existent start button.

Done.

E.g. map fuel cock in Alt+I, so just press, Alt+I then I. Done.

Ironically this don't attract one that like more "realistic" procedures, but ending scaring many IL-2:46 players who became see CloD as "complicated". :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, 307_Tomcat said:

Not really 2-3. Maybe in bf109 but i really like this in bf110. You do it for every engine, then you can open radiators, play with trims. I have way more fun there than "Click E" wait minute or so... where you do nothing. I just look on my phone and wait for it to be over. I don't like it, i prefer clod even if it's not 100% realistic but at least i can do something. Even if it's just start fuel, magnetos and here we go.

It's not TF fault that it's unfinished. If they will get a chance to work years on this game. Maybe we will see more detailed start up.

1 hour ago, InProgress said:

Not really 2-3. Maybe in bf109 but i really like this in bf110. You do it for every engine, then you can open radiators, play with trims. I have way more fun there than "Click E" wait minute or so... where you do nothing. I just look on my phone and wait for it to be over. I don't like it, i prefer clod even if it's not 100% realistic but at least i can do something. Even if it's just start fuel, magnetos and here we go.

It's not TF fault that it's unfinished. If they will get a chance to work years on this game. Maybe we will see more detailed start up.

Just 2 buttons really as others and you confirmed, in Box you can start each engine separately too  , you can adjust trims or radiators, altitude pressure etc  in BoX before start up too. If you now bored to watch, do that  it manually , you maybe like it but most don't IMHO. This can be an option someday as cold engine is I don't mind. 

Edited by 307_Tomcat

1 hour ago, 307_Tomcat said:

Just 2 buttons really as others and you confirmed, in Box you can start each engine separately too  , you can adjust trims or radiators, altitude pressure etc  in BoX before start up too. If you now bored to watch, do that  it manually , you maybe like it but most don't IMHO. This can be an option someday as cold engine is I don't mind. 

I am talking about clickable cockpit and things you can do during start up. These 2 buttons are minimum but like i said you can do more, magnetos, radiators etc. And i am talking about people who enjoy it, these wont click 2 buttons and go due to some optional stuff. In box you just click 1 thing and it's done.  How most can dislike something that is optional? Don't like don't use You can have everything on keyboard and click these 2 minium to start a plane. Not much diffrrent than box.

Clod gives me choice, box offers only 1 option.

• Like 2

It's the AI improvements and whatever is offered as a SP campaign that will get me buying it (or not).

I can tolerate whatever startup, clickable or not clickable cockpits, ground objects, nav lights or not are included. I know how I'd do it if I made a sim but that is pure fantasy!

Please, just AI wingmen that don't follow you around dumbly or expend all ammo in one go and enemies who don't cruise away whilst being peppered with shots would be an awesome acheivement, and along with a generated campaign (not even dynamic) would probably have me buying in and it becoming my primary sim.

Anyway, good luck.

• Like 1

I think we'll probably see the next update in December as if they release one now then they'll have to release the next one in early December ( 2 weeks from now) as many people will go on holidays in mid-late December. Another thing is that much wouldn't have happened in that time period. I believe that Team Fusion wants to show us the Wellington, Tobruk map, maybe some other planes, maybe they'll release the interim patch before going on the winter break.

• Haha 1

What interim patch? What would be in that? Fast 109s to cross the channel?:salute:

Edited by II./JG27_Rich

No update yet?  Hold on, I'll slaughter a chicken.

Hmmm....quick reading of the entrails says TFS 5.0 about to go into closed beta.......

:cool:

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, KG_S_Nuves73 said:

No november update, what is going on. .? Did Bonkins mobile fall again into the touilet? 😜

I expect we will have another update next week.

Bonkin is on a long business trip for his real life job.

• Thanks 1

On 12/1/2018 at 9:49 AM, Buzzsaw said:

I expect we will have another update next week.

Bonkin is on a long business trip for his real life job.

That's good as I will pay for TF5.0 with my non-real life job earnings.