ACG_Woop

The Air Combat Group

The Air Combat Group

The Air Combat Group consists of both Allied and Axis squadrons under a single operational umbrella flying with full realism settings. We are an English and German speaking group located in Europe and the Americas and meet on our own Teamspeak 3 server. Our pilots are interested in the history of World War II air combat on all fronts, seeking immersive air combat in the theatres of the time through historical campaign and other online activities. By supporting both sides of the conflict we can create parity in theatre and achieve common ground across the group, ultimately we seek to mirror the numbers flying on each side and support increasingly large campaigns.

Our objective is to provide an unpressurised, non-competitive and friendly environment in which to enjoy combat operations, whichever side a pilot prefers, and all standards are welcome regardless of experience. The squadrons within the group are historically based and the missions we fly are selected for their historical accuracy whether on our public server or in campaign. Group and squadron objectives are to re-enact the history ahead of competition, to attempt to be a part of being there, to learn about some of the experiences that were faced by the young pilots who fought for their countries in World War II and to honour them by understanding more about what they faced.

If this sounds of interest to you we are welcoming to new pilots of any standard or experience, even if you've never flown before - all you need is a decent PC that can run IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover Blitz or IL-2 Sturmovik: Battle of Stalingrad (depending on the current campaign) and a headset/microphone. Just hop onto our TS3 comms anytime, weekends are best, and join in the fun.

We currently field about 150 pilots and are recruiting pilots of any skill, to join our VVS or LW regiments. For more information visit the website.

Our videos: https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/39776-acg-campaign-videos/

Spoiler

15.(Span)/JG27

uX5KcBS.png

10.(Schlacht)/LG2

1K9fRdS.jpg

IAZav2a.jpg

J8UFDLs.jpg

(Esk. 3) 34 IAP

amXa5vn.jpg

(Esk. 2) 495 IAP

2Zcb.jpg

7./St.G.1

03lef35.jpg

Edited by No.615_Woop
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

ACG squadron 11./JG51 (represented in Campaign by 9./JG26), goes IL2 hunting.

j9zzx0H.jpg

Spoiler

A90Qc3x.jpg

Edited by No.615_Woop
  • Upvote 1

Do you plan on introducing RAF or USAAF units once Bodenplatte is in full release?

17 hours ago, 8thFWDoggo said:

Do you plan on introducing RAF or USAAF units once Bodenplatte is in full release?

When it is released we will plan the campaign move to that front. So yes, that is the idea.

15 hours ago, Black_Falcon said:

Is there any interest in a budding JU-87 pilot?

Yes, of course there is! Head over to the forums and introduce yourself. o7

Edited by ACG_Woop

4 hours ago, ACG_Woop said:

When it is released we will plan the campaign move to that front. So yes, that is the idea.

Lovely, sounds like a good time.  It should be fun seeing large mixed scenarios soon. 

I'm interested in joining the ACG but I'd like to know more about the after action flight reports and attendance requirements before I sign up, who could I talk to about this?

Thank you,

Jonathan.

11 hours ago, VonKurse said:

I'm interested in joining the ACG but I'd like to know more about the after action flight reports and attendance requirements before I sign up, who could I talk to about this?

Thank you,

Jonathan.

Hi Jonathan!

You can jump on our Discord if you like!

https://discord.gg/qKq5y5q

19 hours ago, VonKurse said:

Thank you,

Jonathan.

I’ll cover this here though because this will probably be a frequently asked question. ACG expects members to show up for campaign missions, as participation is the main requirement to be a member. That said, that doesn’t mean that we are bereft of common sense. If a member can’t make it because of other commitments they have at that time, they inform their squadron leader/squadron adjutant about it and that’s ok. Most squadrons have an absence thread for this purpose. I missed our last mission because I was helping my brother in law replace my car’s alternator for example.

As for after action reports, those are also required because we do not count anything using the in game scoring screen. If we could we’d probably disable the scoring screen as being anti-immersive. Everything that your pilot does in ACG is tracked through AARs, so without one it’s effectively like you didn’t fly the mission. For example we will use my last one which can be found below:

https://www.aircombatgroup.co.uk/acg-pam/reportVVS.php?r_id=16316

Now, I’m a good typist and like to write, so I’ll point out my AARs aren’t typical. As the AAR itself notes, all of the text there is optional. What isn’t is everything else. In other words, where you flew from, the aircraft you flew, did you destroy anything, were you killed, etc. Many members fill out that only and nothing else. That’s up to the individual.

These two things are what is expected of all ACG members. So, TL/DR if you can show up on Sundays routinely and fly with us, and fill out a synopsis of what you did afterwards that can take as little as a minute or two to fill out, you can qualify to be an ACG member.

Edited by ACG_Kai_Lae
  • Upvote 1

I'll back up @ACG_Kai_Lae's statements by adding my own comments. It's actually a lot of fun to read other AARs and writing your own can be rewarding too. Here's one from my last mission, where I got shot down...

https://www.aircombatgroup.co.uk/acg-pam/reportVVS.php?r_id=16338

And there's many more pilot accounts to go through. You could be reading pilots accounts all week, if you wanted to. It's extremely immersive and I think that's the intent of ACG.

This sounds like fun. I'm getting more into online play these days and I'd like to participate. I have a few outstanding issues that make things tricky though...
1). No voice comms as yet. Any recommendations for a good entry-level headset that won't break the bank is appreciated. 
2) currently I'm experience the dreaded #10009 error for which there appears to be no known cure. It happens irregularly and I can often connect with no problems, but I worry that random disconnects I might be subject to might damage the experience of everyone else somewhat .How do you handle disconnects and such in your server?
3). Time committment. I THINK I could make sundays work at the scheduled time, and I would know ahead of time if I couldn't make it in. But over the summer I'm away a lot of weekends, and I have a side business that I do in the evenings and weekends that may keep me busy. Is there an attendance threshold even with valid excuses?

I'm reasonably competent at general flight, navigation, takeoff and landing in the VVS fighters and attackers. Not  great at flying formation. Useful as a target drone/distraction during a dogfight lol.

Are players required to have all available aircraft from the series, or just the one they are assigned to fly?

Also, how do you handle the server limits when  you have 150 pilots and the server can't carry that much? Is there multiple missions on  campaign day at staggered times?

14 hours ago, RedKestrel said:

This sounds like fun. I'm getting more into online play these days and I'd like to participate. I have a few outstanding issues that make things tricky though...
1). No voice comms as yet. Any recommendations for a good entry-level headset that won't break the bank is appreciated. 
2) currently I'm experience the dreaded #10009 error for which there appears to be no known cure. It happens irregularly and I can often connect with no problems, but I worry that random disconnects I might be subject to might damage the experience of everyone else somewhat .How do you handle disconnects and such in your server?
3). Time committment. I THINK I could make sundays work at the scheduled time, and I would know ahead of time if I couldn't make it in. But over the summer I'm away a lot of weekends, and I have a side business that I do in the evenings and weekends that may keep me busy. Is there an attendance threshold even with valid excuses?

I'm reasonably competent at general flight, navigation, takeoff and landing in the VVS fighters and attackers. Not  great at flying formation. Useful as a target drone/distraction during a dogfight lol.

Are players required to have all available aircraft from the series, or just the one they are assigned to fly?

Also, how do you handle the server limits when  you have 150 pilots and the server can't carry that much? Is there multiple missions on  campaign day at staggered times?

Hi RedKestrel,

thanks for your interest in ACG.

I'll try to answer your questions as best I can, even though I've never had the error #100009 error you speak of. Did a quick search, but it didn't yield any results. People seem to not be able to fix this. It would be a real shame if you have this frequently, as we do sometimes have missions with long flight times... What you can do however, is join the ACG Public server and see if it happens to you there. It runs on the same machine.

That being said however, you are most welcome to fly with us for a campaign mission or two, to see if it would be something you would be interested in and to test your system. Campaign starts again on May 5th at 1830-1900BST.

About time commitment:

ACG pilots are required to fly on each Campaign Sunday and then file a report. Of course, real life always comes first, and we understand that. We do however want members to be able to commit to a 'most Sundays' rule. If you know you will miss a sunday, it is good form to let your CO or adjutant know.

We take pilots of any flying standard and with any BoX modules, so you can pop round any time. Squadrons also have a practice session every Thursday after 1900 BST and there's always people on the Discord too.

Yes, because we have so many pilots, we fly staggered sorties. Each squadron is given a set take-off time in the mission briefing.

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, ACG_Woop said:

Hi RedKestrel,

thanks for your interest in ACG.

I'll try to answer your questions as best I can, even though I've never had the error #100009 error you speak of. Did a quick search, but it didn't yield any results. People seem to not be able to fix this. It would be a real shame if you have this frequently, as we do sometimes have missions with long flight times... What you can do however, is join the ACG Public server and see if it happens to you there. It runs on the same machine.

That being said however, you are most welcome to fly with us for a campaign mission or two, to see if it would be something you would be interested in and to test your system. Campaign starts again on May 5th at 1830-1900BST.

About time commitment:

ACG pilots are required to fly on each Campaign Sunday and then file a report. Of course, real life always comes first, and we understand that. We do however want members to be able to commit to a 'most Sundays' rule. If you know you will miss a sunday, it is good form to let your CO or adjutant know.

We take pilots of any flying standard and with any BoX modules, so you can pop round any time. Squadrons also have a practice session every Thursday after 1900 BST and there's always people on the Discord too.

Yes, because we have so many pilots, we fly staggered sorties. Each squadron is given a set take-off time in the mission briefing.

The error I get is the random disconnect that a small number of people have and there doesn't appear to be rhyme or reason to it. People have asked for it to be fixed but to be honest I don't know how you'd fix something like this. It's completely random. Last night I played for 2 hours with no issue. Two nights previous, I had two disconnects in an hour of playing. It doesn't appear to be server specific, though on some servers it appears more often than others. I actually get it more often on Combat Box, which should have a better connection, than I do on KOTA, which should have a worse connection. Its just weird.

I'm going to invest in a headset at some point, and once I do I think I will take you up on the offer to do a guest mission to see if my connection can stand it. After that gonna have to see how my time committments can work - if I can work it out I'd love to sign up. 

• Like 1

Αs people may know, our Battle of Moscow Campaign has come to an end. Our Leaning Forward Campaign on Cliffs of Dover Blitz is about to begin!

If you're interested in large scale multiplayer historical campaigns, with persistent characters, AARs and medals, sign up now! We're off to batter the Bosche!