dburne

Samsung Odyssey +

Tried again and I think I have figured it out.  I can use my glasses and the cockpit gauges are much clearer. Maybe my contacts were making things blurry. 

18 hours ago, 392FS_Jred said:

My glasses have touched the rift lenses a bunch and don't seem to be scratching it up at all.

When I tried the Rift, the lenses touched my glasses, and both got scratched. This was after only about an hour of use.

Regarding all the '45 vs 90fps' talk from earlier in the thread, is anyone actually getting a consistent 90 fps on any settings in multiplayer? If so, could you share your setup + settings? Thanks!

46 minutes ago, Cathal_Brugha said:

When I tried the Rift, the lenses touched my glasses, and both got scratched. This was after only about an hour of use.

My lenses might be scratched, I don't notice it at all if they are, makes no difference to me, unless you can see em or you want to sell it then yeah might wanna put some glass protectors on em.

6 hours ago, BubbRubb11 said:

Regarding all the '45 vs 90fps' talk from earlier in the thread, is anyone actually getting a consistent 90 fps on any settings in multiplayer? If so, could you share your setup + settings? Thanks!

I'd seriously doubt it. Last time I checked I saw CPU frame time spikes of 16-18ms on my 8086K @ 5.0ghz with RTX 2080. Let's say it was just 16ms to be optimistic. That's 45% over budget, so you'd need a 7.3ghz chip to keep up. Unfortunately it looks like the 9900K only goes to 6.9 on nitrogen...

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/intel-core-i9-9900k-overclock-6.9ghz,37903.html

Sorry, I guess that was a little pissy of me! 😉 If you're having issues in VR I would advise Balanced settings, Medium shadows, SSAO off, HDR off, and go from there. You won't hit a consistent 90 FPS with this config, it'll still drop during intense action, but it should be pretty playable. Personally I leave ASW ON on my Rift as I prefer it to a slideshow. Others prefer a slightly lower framerate and no ASW artifacts, it's just personal preference really.

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, Alonzo said:

I'd seriously doubt it. Last time I checked I saw CPU frame time spikes of 16-18ms on my 8086K @ 5.0ghz with RTX 2080. Let's say it was just 16ms to be optimistic. That's 45% over budget, so you'd need a 7.3ghz chip to keep up. Unfortunately it looks like the 9900K only goes to 6.9 on nitrogen...

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/intel-core-i9-9900k-overclock-6.9ghz,37903.html

Sorry, I guess that was a little pissy of me! 😉 If you're having issues in VR I would advise Balanced settings, Medium shadows, SSAO off, HDR off, and go from there. You won't hit a consistent 90 FPS with this config, it'll still drop during intense action, but it should be pretty playable. Personally I leave ASW ON on my Rift as I prefer it to a slideshow. Others prefer a slightly lower framerate and no ASW artifacts, it's just personal preference really.

That's what I figured, I was just curious whether anyone had actually achieved this. I'm quite comfortable at 45 with ASW, but of course 90 at all times would be amazing. Perhaps eventually the game will be optimized enough to achieve this, or some future CPU + GPU could just brute force it.. I'm guessing my 5820k @ 4.5 + 2080Ti (whenever I get it) won't.

Edited by BubbRubb11

1 hour ago, BubbRubb11 said:

That's what I figured, I was just curious whether anyone had actually achieved this. I'm quite comfortable at 45 with ASW, but of course 90 at all times would be amazing. Perhaps eventually the game will be optimized enough to achieve this, or some future CPU + GPU could just brute force it.. I'm guessing my 5820k @ 4.5 + 2080Ti (whenever I get it) won't.

There is no system today that will run a combat flight sim at 90 fps at all times in VR.

May be awhile before we see one that does.

4 hours ago, dburne said:

There is no system today that will run a combat flight sim at 90 fps at all times in VR.

I'm curious why you said "combat" there. Is combat particularly harder than non-combat flight simulation?

There's a flight sim that's supposedly built for VR and does multicore, modern CPUs and GPUs, all that jazz. I haven't tried it:

https://flyinside-fsx.com/Home/Sim

7 hours ago, Alonzo said:

I'm curious why you said "combat" there. Is combat particularly harder than non-combat flight simulation?

There's a flight sim that's supposedly built for VR and does multicore, modern CPUs and GPUs, all that jazz. I haven't tried it:

No simply that my experience with flight sim in VR is only with combat - namely IL-2 and DCS,  do not have any civilian flight sims.

8 hours ago, Alonzo said:

Flyinside uses FSX as a basis does it not? Is says it's a new engine, but it used to be a vr mod before. I'm sceptical about it being particularly cutting edge.

4 hours ago, kissklas said:

Flyinside uses FSX as a basis does it not? Is says it's a new engine, but it used to be a vr mod before. I'm sceptical about it being particularly cutting edge.

I'm not sure on the tech. They are touting a 64-bit multicore optimized engine. Maybe it was previously based on FSX or they have licensed FSX and revamped the engine, or are using FSX assets inside a new engine. Could all be marketing BS of course. Here's a CPU graph, and they make a lot of claims about 90 FPS and high supersampling.

CPUCores.jpg

18 hours ago, dburne said:

With the new update I am getting damn near 90fps at all times in multiplayer. Occasionally it drops a tad, but my experience has been vastly improved with this new update.

1 hour ago, 392FS_Jred said:

With the new update I am getting damn near 90fps at all times in multiplayer. Occasionally it drops a tad, but my experience has been vastly improved with this new update.

Mine has certainly improved, but not getting 90 very consistently - I do some. 

Hopefully my new upcoming build will help also.

This is flying SP in a Kuban Campaign with PWCG.

Edited by dburne

Guys, please remember that we cannot compare performance, if we don't play a test by exactly the same flight recording.

There are so many variables in there that expressing "runs nearly all the time at 90fps" or "not getting 90 very consistently" are basically empty phrases. 🙏

I certainly got better fps as well with the late patch. They seem to be working on VR performance as well, which is a good incentive to buy FC as well @Jon Redcorn. I got it because they removed the crazy loud "thudd" sounds of when you bump your head into the cockpit-borders 😉 

If you pre-order any of it, you may as well post the reason for it in GD, to let them know. It's valuable information.

• Upvote 1

Ok, 

Here is my subjective opinion of the Odyssey + for use in IL2. Up to this point I have been using a Rift. 

I'll start with the visuals. 

It is definitely an improvement over the Rift, though not as great as I had hoped. Screen is clearer and colours are much deeper. I actually find it brighter than the rift. Not sure if people who think it is dark are being thrown off by the lack of light screen door effect that washes out everything or the deeper blacks but it is plenty bright. The screen door effect is pretty much entirely gone. You can still make out the pixels same as you can on say a 720p monitor, but they are very small and there isn't the obvious gap (screen door effect) between pixels that you saw on older VR units. Spotting is improved as the increased resolution and lack of screen door effect lets you pick out small contacts more easily and I would even say my situational awareness has gotten a boost as re-acquiring contacts that I have looked away from and come back to find is easier. The sweet spot is noticeably smaller than the rift and I wish the lenses were of a different design that improved this. You do have to more purposely look directly with your head at things that you want to see with perfect clarity like text and gauges. However, I would argue that a lot of the stuff that is outside of the odyssey's sweet spot has almost the same clarity to my eyes as things that were in the larger sweet spot of the rift. I do enjoy the deeper colours and everything looks much more vivid. Another drawback though is that the WMR built in ASW type tech is not as good as the rift at smoothing motion. Planes zooming around in the periphery have more ghosting and chromatic aberrations.  However looking directly at them resolves most of this. I'm currently running mine at 190 SS to get a crisp image that is approximate to the resolution of 100 SS on a Vive Pro. (The way Steam VR handles SS is different depending on headset) Without turning it up from 100, my Odyssey + would be running at almost the same resolution as the rift runs at 100 SS. 

Egronomics. 

This thing is definitely not as comfortable as the Rift. Like a previous review. I thought when I put that headset on without it turned on, that there would be light leak from everywhere. Somehow, with it on, the light from the unit drowns out any light leakage and I do not perceive any, even from the bottom. With the halo pulled down the back of my head, which is how I've been wearing it, it is fairly comfortable at first. However, after about an hour, I find that there is pressure on my forehead that makes me feel almost as though I have a minor tension headache coming on. I think this could be vastly improved with a thicker foam face piece from VR covers once they develop one. Here's a big drawback for some people, the minimum IPD as reported by the WMR software for the unit is 63mm. My own measured IPD is 61mm and I find somewhere around the very bottom of the adjustment it feels the most clear. I'm uncertain if a little bit more downward range would help my visuals as I actually run it a touch off the minimum stop. However for people with significantly smaller IPD this is a problem and would likely make the unit unusable. I'm honestly thinking this is the major problem for most of the people complaining about a blurry image. How Samsung thought making the adjustable IPD range 63mm to 72mm was acceptable when the average IPD is 63 is beyond me. Otherwise, the unit is relatively comfortable. It's a bit disappointing that such simple issues were overlooked that could have really made the Odyssey + a home-run. 

Sound. 

This is the final part of the unit I wanted to address, as someone who has an education in audio engineering and runs a home recording studio. Ya, the built in AKG headphones are not incredible, but honestly, I don't think they are any worse than the Rift in terms of quality. They are a decent pair of budget headphones with decent sensitivity and range... however, what they lack is low end. I simply ran a system wide EQ called Equalizer apo and rolled on more low end in a shelf with a gentle slope starting at  400 hz down to 20 hz. (Peak is about 6db) The amount I added would likely make the headphones a bit boomy and have some loss of clarity for regular listening and a more appropriate amount for this would likely be approx a 3db boost. However I find that the 6db low end shelf gives a close approximation of the muffled boom and tone of the engine and other sounds that a pilot would hear with a ww2 era headset on. Works great for me. Again, disappointing that between AKG and Samsung, they could have picked a flatter sounding headphone to begin with. 

Overall, even with these annoyances and requirements for user intervention.... I think given the price, the odyssey + is the best VR headset going for IL2 right now. Sure if you want to spend more money you might be happier with a vive pro with gear VR lenses, but you'd be giving up the lack of SDE for a bit larger sweet spot. However if you have a small IPD, I would recommend you avoid it. 

Hope this helps people who are weighing their options. 

Edited by SCG_Wulfe
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 5
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Dutch2 said:

Sorry but what is IPD?

It is interpupillary distance. This is the distance measured between the centre of each eye in millimetres. Very important to be able to adjust this correctly in order to get things in focus. There are good free apps you can get for your smart phone that measure it using the known size of a credit card held up to your face in the photo. 

Edited by SCG_Wulfe

Sorry but...

What is ASW, and in which menu can you find it?

I understand from previous posts it has to do with outside world objects flying around, but it has a trade off?

Thanks.

Ok, no quick answer here, maybe some other soul wants to know this abbrevation gibberisch:

ASW builds on top of the virtual reality smoothing experience of ATW. ATW ensures that the experience tracks the user's head rotation. This means an image is always displayed in the correct location within the headset. Without ATW, when a VR application misses a frame, the whole world drags—much like slow-motion video playback. Encountering this while in VR is extremely jarring and generally breaks presence. ASW goes beyond this and tracks animation and movement within the scene to smooth over the whole experience.

What Is this Sorcery?
ASW generates extrapolated frames from previous frames generated by the VR application. On the surface, this sounds quite a bit like ATW, which is capable of extrapolating for only a single thing: the user's head rotation. While this covers many of the hitches, it's not a magic bullet. ASW works in tandem with ATW to cover all visual motion within the virtual reality experience. This includes character movement, camera movement, Touch controller movement, and the player's own positional movement. If the application falls behind the display's frame rate, the experience typically remains smooth and enjoyable.

What's the Catch?
Just as with ATW, ASW is active and enabled for all applications without any developer effort.

There's no completely free lunch, however. ASW doesn't scale well below half the display's refresh rate. Depending on what's being displayed, there may be visual artifacts present as a result of imperfect extrapolation.

Edited by Zoltann

Hello All,

Just wanted to give a short to the point review of the Odyssey+.  I have used a Oculus CV1 since its release, and have been happy with it for sim racing and also DCS and as of late Il2. I jumped on the Odyssey+ deal and now have spent a couple days using it with BOX and Iracing.  My system consists of a 9600k@ 4.8ghz, 1080ti, SSD, 32gb DDR4@ 3200mhz. 

Comfort: 

A small step above unwearable for me at first.  No matter how I wore it.  With a backwards ball cap, sweatband, Halo worn like a crown, whatever, I tried it.  Their is asymmetrical pressure on the forehead and back of the head for me. 

I have more of a oval crown head and in motorsports this makes all the difference in selecting a helmet.  I could relate this to the Odyssey+, as it feels like a helmet that is designed for a more round head. The padding does break in to a certain degree after a couple days of use,  but is still is a bit to firm. 

The light leak do to the gaps is incredibly bad for me do too my narrow face structure.  The good news is this is not noticeable for me in game do to how bright the display is. 

Another bad thing concerning the fit is that it moves around on my head slightly as I check around my aircraft in combat.  This is not a issue in sim racing as my head is making smaller scanning movements. 

The nose flaps look like a non issue when just looking at them but when you put the headset on they are very uncomfortable for me.

Displays/visuals:

They are excellent, with a couple small issues. 

-First, even with supersampling in the 140 to 150% range in steam, text is harder to read then in the Oculus.  Stuff that is close is a little on the soft side in terms of clarity and even when vision is direct to the item it remains soft and not super clear.  My IPD is measured right at 60 so I am not sure if this has something to do with it as I am bottomed out on IPD adjustment. 

-Second,  the sweet spot is very real.  You have a very small area to get clear visuals and this provides an issue FOR ME when the headset moves due to fit.  This may differ for some. 

Other then that things are clear, bright, and smooth.  

Performance:

On my PC with settings on Balanced, and everything else set Mid to High I achieve a fairly consistent 90 FPS even in the Berloga Server.  The best thing about this headset and WMR is their ASW.  When it does activate I personally cannot see it.  When it is running at 45fps I cannot detect it from 90fps with ghosting being minimal and not noticeable unless I am looking for it.  It is better then the Oculus re-projection whether it is ran through Steam or Opencomposite. 

One thing that I am noticing is that my marksmanship has gone up and I am not sure why,  I am better able to place shots with the Odyssey. 

Tracking for me has been better then my Oculus, this seems to vary for each person but I am very happy with it.

For some reason even with the spotting mod being the same for both the Oculus and Odyssey,  my target spotting hasn't improved much if at all.  I may need to tweak settings to extract the capability out of the Odyssey.

I am using the files that are stickied in this forum for the spotting mod. 

Any input on how to improve visual range for spotting the target at 0 zoom?

In conclusion,

I am going to keep tweaking with the Odyssey as the small but substantial cons can be fixed I feel with hopefully a VRcover  and some mods posted in the forums. 

If anyone has any questions feel free to ask as I did gloss over a lot of stuff.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hey, guys. I used a Lenovo Explorer and an HP headset before buying the Odyssey+. Definite improvement.

If anyone is thinking of getting one for IL2, I recommend it. Get Fenris Wolf’s graphics settings and copy them into your ini (do a quick forum search).  Get the 3DMigoto mod (adds zoom, removes propeller, masks icons, etc). Set your supersampling (I have mine at 200). Of course, you need a solid rig. But that is another conversation. 

One thing I noticed that really helped my setup was to up the in-game anti-aliasing from 2 to 4. Fenris recommends 2, and that is probably best for most people. I am over clocking the heck out of my machine, and the bump in AA didn’t seem to hurt. But it looks amazing. I feel like I am looking at a regular 1080p monitor. It looks that good. If there is any blurring, I don’t notice it, or have forgotten what the less blurry experience looked like. And the lack of SDE is awesome.

Regarding fit, I added some foam behind each side of the headset foam to make the material snug with my face. The bottom light bleed doesn’t bother me for IL2. On Skyrim, I actually use the original face mask foam from the Lenovo and put it around my face so that it sits on my nose. Completely blocks all light.

Prescription lenses for the Odyssey+ means I can easily take the headset on and off. Having the integrated audio makes this is very easy.

Overall I am extremely pleased with it.

Edited by redcloud111
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Upvote 1

I wait for mine to arrive , I have i7 6700k @4,8Ghz and 1080Ti what you guys recommend (settings) for competitive (multiplayer) game play ?

Had it for a few days now, not going back to the rift, not when I can see through the canopy and the fog is gone.  I can see the wing cannons on a Wulf at high aspect 200 meters plus, tell his color scheme, see the sun glean off his wings, and notice the shadows as they move, all without zoom.  Never seen that in my rift.  I know why shooting is easier in the samsung, I can see my tracers clearly to the end, judging distance and depth far better.  Ergonomics suck, nothing adjustable at all, but I'm extremely lucky, think they used my head as the design template, it fits me very well.  I pity the guys who it don't, there is no remedy.

Something not really mentioned, the vertical view, very noticeable expansion, now it feels like horse blinders instead of binoculars.  Icons no longer needed in practice sessions, gorgeous colors compared.  Frames are up slightly with better visuals, it ain't perfect, but for me it is a nice step up, getting closer.  Believe its going to be a while till something can clearly smoke it.  Can't max everything out on it, so some room for growth beyond a vega 64 and 6700K.

One of the first flights was staring at my jugs gorgeous shiny wings and body for ten minutes solid, can now rip a train apart without having to reacquire it as a new intercept on every attack run, cause never lose it visually.  VR Game finally looks great beyond the cockpit.  For me was a nice upgrade, but suggest you try out a demo set for fit first, as they aren't adjustable.  Can't imagine anyone with a small build fitting one, rift is officially passed on to my young ones.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Santa has mine packed on his sleigh.  Like a kid again waiting for santa to deliver!I can hardly wait thanks to your review!😋

On a more serious note:Is there much to do to install & work with  box/ I'm guessing uninstall Oculus & Oculus tray Tool to start, but anything to do with SteamVR settings or elsewhere,like startup.config? How about earphones? any and all advice will be greatly appreciated.😎

Edited by Blitzen

47 minutes ago, Blitzen said:

Is there much to do to install

You will need to download Steam VR for Windows Mixed Reality. You'll also need Windows Mixed Reality Portal which should already be on your computer if you have Win10.

Once your Odyssey arrives all you need do is plug it in and open Steam for it to recognize your headset. Then close Steam and put on the headset, adjust for your head and IPD. Then launch IL*2 and you are good to go.

Much easier than the Rift. No sensors to set up and only a HDMI and one USB connection to your computer. The image is better and it's a lot less trouble. I've very happy that I changed from Rift to Odyssey+. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Blitzen said:

Santa has mine packed on his sleigh.  Like a kid again waiting for santa to deliver!I can hardly wait thanks to your review!😋

On a more serious note:Is there much to do to install & work with  box/ I'm guessing uninstall Oculus & Oculus tray Tool to start, but anything to do with SteamVR settings or elsewhere,like startup.config? How about earphones? any and all advice will be greatly appreciated.😎

Very important if you face some USB problems, delete the one on your motherbord and use the USB drivers from Windows update and In my case I also did have to download the Windows mixed reality portal from Steam to let the SOplus finally running good.

Also very strange it does not run on the last USB 3.1 gen2 ports only on the older USB3.1 gen1, do other Odyssey member have the same experience on that USB 3.1 gen2 port, or do I something wrong. 

10 hours ago, [CPT]Crunch said:

Had it for a few days now, not going back to the rift, not when I can see through the canopy and the fog is gone.  I can see the wing cannons on a Wulf at high aspect 200 meters plus, tell his color scheme, see the sun glean off his wings, and notice the shadows as they move, all without zoom.  Never seen that in my rift.  I know why shooting is easier in the samsung, I can see my tracers clearly to the end, judging distance and depth far better.  Ergonomics suck, nothing adjustable at all, but I'm extremely lucky, think they used my head as the design template, it fits me very well.  I pity the guys who it don't, there is no remedy.

Something not really mentioned, the vertical view, very noticeable expansion, now it feels like horse blinders instead of binoculars.  Icons no longer needed in practice sessions, gorgeous colors compared.  Frames are up slightly with better visuals, it ain't perfect, but for me it is a nice step up, getting closer.  Believe its going to be a while till something can clearly smoke it.  Can't max everything out on it, so some room for growth beyond a vega 64 and 6700K.

One of the first flights was staring at my jugs gorgeous shiny wings and body for ten minutes solid, can now rip a train apart without having to reacquire it as a new intercept on every attack run, cause never lose it visually.  VR Game finally looks great beyond the cockpit.  For me was a nice upgrade, but suggest you try out a demo set for fit first, as they aren't adjustable.  Can't imagine anyone with a small build fitting one, rift is officially passed on to my young ones.

How is the sweet spot? Almost the whole screen as the Oculus? I returned my Vive Pro because I could not stand the small sweet spot, a small section of the screen was nice and higher resolution, the rest quite blurry once outside the sweet spot.

How is the scale? Oculus is 1:1 , Vive Pro was like 90% scale.

Is the scale same as Oculus or thing look smaller?

Dutch2- can you describe how the Mixed reality function actually works with Samsung? This is all news to me.I didn't seem to have it with rift- I just peeked under the lowere edge of the headset to see the keyboard..are  there  vids or screenshots?

1 hour ago, Blitzen said:

Dutch2- can you describe how the Mixed reality function actually works with Samsung? This is all news to me.I didn't seem to have it with rift- I just peeked under the lowere edge of the headset to see the keyboard..are  there  vids or screenshots?

it's basically this 

4 hours ago, Aloha-Snackbar said:

it's basically this 

interesting! Is clarity good enough to use in game? i wonder what its like to use in flight and/or combat?

Just to be clear on what what Gordon said, the win mixed reality for steam VR is a separate app that lays over steam VR, took a bit to figure that out.  Steam apps will fire up steamVR, but steamVR itself doesn't see your headset without the additional patch.  Far as I understand only the latest 1070 on up vid cards are able to run over 45 fps, nothing for AMD of which I have is supported yet, they're still working on it.  

Far as the sweet spot, it's more a matter of ergonomics, does the damn thing fit your head or not.  My eyes naturally line up, so no issues.  But I could see someone not so fortunate cussing.  The IPD adjustment really doesn't seem to cause any effects for me besides moving the black edges on the outer and nose boundaries and creating some blur in those areas.  I run it a bit wider than the oculus, 68+ as compared to 65.5, nothing in the sweet spot seems to blur or lose focus, just the outer margins.  I like to keep it toward the upper margin to gain an extra degree or two of FOV.  I can roll the IPD looking intently at an instrument and not notice an effect.

I'd suggest visiting that modular jet sim forum VR section, there's a bigger more active wmr bunch of users, and better information on setting one up.  It's a lot harder to set up in that sim and also get performance.  Same ideas and hacks that work there, won't hurt in this sim.  I scaled up my cockpits in that one a bit, not that they're any different size than the oculus, it's just with the clarity their scaling becomes more noticeable and an issue.  Can read my Hornets MPCD's crystal clear with the correct size, it didn't make a difference what size in the oculus, it was still a blur.  

Good luck on the fit.

18 hours ago, [CPT]Crunch said:

Just to be clear on what what Gordon said, the win mixed reality for steam VR is a separate app that lays over steam VR, took a bit to figure that out.  Steam apps will fire up steamVR, but steamVR itself doesn't see your headset without the additional patch.  Far as I understand only the latest 1070 on up vid cards are able to run over 45 fps, nothing for AMD of which I have is supported yet, they're still working on it.  

I have the lenovo explorer with a vega 64. It will go over 45 FPS. In SP with the HUD off, it will jump up to about 60 but occasionally it will reach for a few seconds to 90FPS. But most of the time it hovers around 45 with the HUD on and that's just fine for flying for me. Online on the Berluga (sp?) server, my average is about 55-60 fps . I attribute this to lack of ground graphics clutter...no buildings, etc. The worst FPS I get is in the start menus, where it will drop to about 8 or 9 FPS. By the way, I see negligible difference using the ultimate, high, balanced graphics settings.

Got my Odyssey + yesterday, they are on sale for $399.

Initial Impressions.

Its not comfortable, and more complicated for fast turning around.

Great colors, great performance, sweet spot better than Vive Pro, worse than Rift.

Because of how strange it fits in the face, seems like its a smaller FOV than Rift and Vive Pro.

Scale is correct.

Surprised and how smooth the performance is , specially down low compared to the Rift.

Makes me want to brake it apart and fix the ergonomics myself, that would be a great improvement.

If it had the Rift fit and feel, would have been a winner for sure.

For the price, not bad at all , better than Vive Pro at $800 less.

Edited by II./JG77_motoadve
Text

Posted (edited)

Hi, 

I'm new to VR and just got my O+, especially for playing BoS.
First testing session has been real nice (but still a little motion sickness, I hope I get rid of it soon^^), but I have some quick questions : 

-the mouse and keyboard disabling by WMR really bothers me when I put the headset on, since I still need to navigate the menus (and I'd like to use the mouse-stick of my x52 throttle for that). I've tried Alt-Tabing to switch the focus, and also using the Win+Y thing, but nothing works. It is really annoying having to remove the headset to usethe menus, how are you adressing this problem?

- @II./JG77_motoadve, are you sure the scale is correct? Feels a little tiny to me (I'm sure then would need to hammer me inside this cockpit if I were any fatter, and the rudder pedals seem awfully close to me).

- with SS at 130%, I still get an awful lot of aliasing; is that normal? Should I use also ingame AA?

Edited by [CPC]Giledhil

Posted (edited)

Giledhil,

mouse and keyboard get disabled if you don't adhere to the correct load order. It's annoying at first, but necessary:

1. Start "Mixed Reality Portal".

2. Enter the Cliffhouse, find your roomspace. Take Headset off again.

3. Start Steam Application "Windows Mixed Reality for SteamVR". Wait till SteamVR has started.

4. Start IL-2 Sturmovik and wait for it to load to the main menu. Now put the headset back on.

That's it!

Check my Signature for my sticky thread. You'll find better settings there. You can go up to 150% SteamVR SS, and, depending on GPU, 2x or 4x ingame Anti-Aliasing. The settings in my thread are 130% SS + 2x ingame SS. That leaves indeed some aliasing left, that is normal. 150% SS and 4x Anti-Aliasing gets rid of most of it.

You cannot go higher on SS because IL-2 doesn't scale up aircrafts properly in VR. Their minimum size seems tied to the reported resolution - and in Supersampling, the resolution is much smaller than what your native output shows you. The pixel aircrafts at range then become smaller than a subpixel and vanish in the blur of their environment. Whatever is behind it, the result is the same. 8-9km effective spotting sphere instead of 10km.

Edited by SCG_Fenris_Wolf
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Or you can open up your desktop screen in the cliffhouse, and use that desktop to start your apps, than they will always be and remain the focus.  Mine is set up so I'm always parked in front of a gigantic drive in movie screen sized desktop as soon as it fires up.  The only thing that worthless house is good for.

Posted (edited)
On 5/24/2019 at 4:55 AM, [CPT]Crunch said:

Or you can open up your desktop screen in the cliffhouse, and use that desktop to start your apps, than they will always be and remain the focus.  Mine is set up so I'm always parked in front of a gigantic drive in movie screen sized desktop as soon as it fires up.  The only thing that worthless house is good for.

I use that method and is in my case not working as I still have sometimes the same mouse freezes or complete hidden Mouse pointer.  Maybe if you use this method of starting the game your ingame resolution should alway be the same as the monitor/desktop resolution. 

Edited by Dutch2

Just tried my Odyssey+ for the first time, and I'm quite disheartened. I could NOT get a comfortable gun sight view to save my life. Is there a calibration I don't know of? All I know to do is to switch to my Mixed Reality Portal window, setup room boundary visuals, choose seated or standing, hold my headset in front of me and select "Center" , go back to IL-2 and see how poorly it adjusted my head, and repeat the process all over again holding my headset in weird places. After about a dozen tries I had to hold my headset on my left shoulder to get a somewhat flyable position with the Dva. Then, thinking everything would OK from then on, I loaded a Dr1 to see if the head position was good, but it's not even close. What a giant pain this is! Is this normal? I wasted a half hour and never got a position as good as I can with TrackIR in two minutes. I really hope I'm doing something wrong, otherwise I'd have to reconsider ever using VR for this sim. S!

Hey, man. Sounds like you are doing something wrong. I am not in front of Il2 at the moment (away from desktop), but I usually choose seated in the WMR settings. Once in Il2 you need to hit whatever key you have mapped to its recentering function, which I have mapped to my joystick. (I think the setting is under Pilot Head and Default VR View, and I think the default key is Numberpad + 5). I can check later. Anyway, take a look in the key mapping settings. A Google search on the proper setting name  can verify what I said. Once you have recentered, all should be perfect. One thing I have noticed is that every now and then the full 6 degrees of freedom disappears and the cockpit will move with your head. Sometimes just looking over my shoulder resets the tracking. Other times I have to go back into WMR settings and reselect it's centering function. This rarely happens though.

Again, don't give up on your headset. I have done a comfort mod on mine so that is fits perfectly. It works great.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, the_dudeWG said:

Just tried my Odyssey+ for the first time, and I'm quite disheartened. I could NOT get a comfortable gun sight view to save my life. Is there a calibration I don't know of? All I know to do is to switch to my Mixed Reality Portal window, setup room boundary visuals, choose seated or standing, hold my headset in front of me and select "Center" , go back to IL-2 and see how poorly it adjusted my head, and repeat the process all over again holding my headset in weird places. After about a dozen tries I had to hold my headset on my left shoulder to get a somewhat flyable position with the Dva. Then, thinking everything would OK from then on, I loaded a Dr1 to see if the head position was good, but it's not even close. What a giant pain this is! Is this normal? I wasted a half hour and never got a position as good as I can with TrackIR in two minutes. I really hope I'm doing something wrong, otherwise I'd have to reconsider ever using VR for this sim. S!

You need to adjust your seat position while in the game. The headset will always center you according to where your physical body is located. In VR the default gun sight location is between your eyes. To see effectively you need to move your seat location right or left depending on your dominate eye. You may also need to move closer/further away or up/down.

To do this start a Quick Mission from your monitor in 2D. When it starts press Delete, End, Page Dn, Page Up, Home and Insert to move the cross hairs to the desired location. My dominate eye is my right so I had to move the cross hairs to the left of the gun sight to properly align in VR. When you are done press F10 to save the seat position for that plane. You'll need to do the same with each plane and save (F10) the seat position. Afterwards you can press your button to Return VR and it will restore you to the saved position.

Some people on this forum will tell you that you can save the seat position by pressing F10 while in VR but for me and my Odyssey+ that locks the cockpit to my headset and any movement of my head moves the entire cockpit with it.

Also go to Windows Settings and open Device Manager and expand Monitors. There you will see your WMR headset listed. Right click it and Update drivers. Also check the device Windows Mixed Reality for Holo lens driver. I was surprised my new Odyssey+ did not have the latest drivers and it improved the image a good deal.

Edited by Gordon200
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Thanks, Gordon and Redcloud. I'm glad I'm at fault, believe me! I only have one follow up ... how do I enter 2D mode? Even if the Odyssey+ is sitting on the table, "off" (even though I never unplug it ... which I guess is another question I'm ignorant on ... to unplug or not to unplug) WMR wakes up my headset when I start IL2 and my screen splits in two and I seem "forced" into using VR. Should I just simply turn off "Enable VR" in the launcher when I need to set up my head positions, and to spectate skins I'm working on? Cheers! S!

Edited by the_dudeWG