Sign in to follow this  
dburne

Samsung Odyssey +

Hi I have the Samsung odyssey + and play il2 BOS,  I've found it to be the best available. Yes I can highly recommend it compared to my Vive, it is greatly superior. I've been playing BOS on it every day for a week. The screen door effect is gone and if you turn up super sampling in WMR steam beta it's amazing visual clarity and sharpness no softness ( I set mine at 200% on my GTX 1080 and 142% on my 1070 and BOS runs silky smooth frame rates). It is the best display image you can buy (aside from FOV which is only 110% but it was the display image quality I really cared about), but the beauty is that you can have the best visuals out there for the foreseeable future (Verified by reviewers as better in comparison to Pimax 5k+, 8K, StarVR one, Vive pro , the orig Odyssey even the Xtal) and you still don't need to upgrade your hardware from your oculus or vive setup. I would be very skeptical that the future new valve or oculus upgrades could match this display image because Samsung has already said that they will not share this tech with anyone else and that's where the others get their AMOLED displays. As an aside Samsung  just announced this HMD is going on sale for $300 on Nov 18th. I predict this headset will become the main VR HMD for simmers. Oh! it does bleed light if you have a narrow face like me, but I fixed it very easy. The new blue tooth tracking is flawless( fixed from the old Odyssey blue tooth issue some older PC's had, it's now built into the headset properly).

• Like 2

Interesting thanks for the feedback.

I think just like all VR HMD's different folks can have different results. I have seen a few that got one and returned them.

But others like yourself that love it.

I expect it comes down to if really interested give it a try, hopefully through a seller that will take returns if needed.

I am still going to hold out a bit and see what Oculus is up to for 2019. 

I think that guys from reddit, I saw a similar post in which he said he was running ultra settings on his 1080 at silky smooth frame rates, which as all of us know just isn't possible. But regardless, heads up for everyone the samsung odyssey plus will be available from the samsung store and I believe the microsoft store for 300 bucks starting the 18th, I am going to pick one up for sure. For the best screens in the business at that price it's impossible to pass up.

Edited by 15th_JonRedcorn
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, 15th_JonRedcorn said:

I think that guys from reddit, I saw a similar post in which he said he was running ultra settings on his 1080 at silky smooth frame rates, which as all of us know just isn't possible. But regardless, heads up for everyone the samsung odyssey plus will be available from the samsung store and I believe the microsoft store for 300 bucks starting the 18th, I am going to pick one up for sure. For the best screens in the business at that price it's impossible to pass up.

yeah, for 300 it may be a green light!  I bout the wireless kit for my vivpro for 300$ just to test it out (returned), so i don't see a problem doing the same with the + HDM.

but running ultra with high fps in VR - that's bologna.. doesn't smell right and Trapper is full of it.

I get between 45-90FPS with 8 planes in the air with a GTX 1080, I just measured it. Anything above 45FPS I consider silky smooth frame rate (avg. was mid 60's). Hope that clarifies it for you better. To each their own view of what is smooth but these HMD's top out at 90 as you all know. I can only wish I could get the same in DCS world as BOS. I know your pain. Vulcan seems to get the best frames for me in Aerofly FS2. Here's a pix of my settings I hope it helps.

IL2 settings.png

steam vr settings.png

1 hour ago, moosya said:

yeah, for 300 it may be a green light!  I bout the wireless kit for my vivpro for 300$ just to test it out (returned), so i don't see a problem doing the same with the + HDM.

but running ultra with high fps in VR - that's bologna.. doesn't smell right and Trapper is full of it.

I wouldn't say that, I can run Ultra and it is quite smooth. No not very high fps, at least not consistently, but still a smooth experience and quite playable.  FPS stay at 45 and higher.

I do not however run on Ultra, something about all the clouds in VR in Ultra I just see too much shimmering of them or something, kinda kills the effect to me.

To me it looks better on High with a little less clouds than Ultra in VR.

Edited by dburne

You guys are smoking something strong over there, 60 fps in these headsets and your littered with artifacts all over the place, that dudes settings are hilarious. Ultra settings, every other option maxed out, and running 200% SS with a 1080, that dudes getting ASW on constantly, but hey who cares if you can't see the gunsight. Watching the ground teleport or planes streak across the sky may be fun for some people but not when you are trying to be competitive in multiplayer, funny this, all the ones claiming they play super high settings with no issue play singleplayer and probably don't even know what a 16 plane furball looks like. Those settings would drag my computer to its knees in the middle of one. Give me a break. I'd argue it's not really subjective either since smooth would be no artifacts and no other weird stuff going on, which anything less than 80 fps seems to cause. But you guys play the game however you want just don't come on here telling people that they can play the game maxed out at smooth as glass frame rates. Post up a benchmark run so people can see your avg is most like 45, and that you may even drop below that occasionally.

13 hours ago, dburne said:

I wouldn't say that, I can run Ultra and it is quite smooth. No not very high fps, at least not consistently, but still a smooth experience and quite playable.  FPS stay at 45 and higher.

I do not however run on Ultra, something about all the clouds in VR in Ultra I just see too much shimmering of them or something, kinda kills the effect to me.

To me it looks better on High with a little less clouds than Ultra in VR.

oh, the game runs smooth with everything maxed with nobody around your plane, no ai, no real players. As soon as you get 1-2 dynamic objects it'll drop to 45fps period, and will deep even below. So yes, can it run smoothly? Sure. Can you play a decent campaign with these settings? Hell no.

1 hour ago, moosya said:

oh, the game runs smooth with everything maxed with nobody around your plane, no ai, no real players. As soon as you get 1-2 dynamic objects it'll drop to 45fps period, and will deep even below. So yes, can it run smoothly? Sure. Can you play a decent campaign with these settings? Hell no.

Well it handled PWCG campaign ok.

I am not going to argue, was just sharing what I was seeing. Just take it with a grain of salt, everyone can have different experiences.

Have fun!

5 hours ago, 15th_JonRedcorn said:

You guys are smoking something strong over there, 60 fps in these headsets and your littered with artifacts all over the place, that dudes settings are hilarious. Ultra settings, every other option maxed out, and running 200% SS with a 1080, that dudes getting ASW on constantly, but hey who cares if you can't see the gunsight. Watching the ground teleport or planes streak across the sky may be fun for some people but not when you are trying to be competitive in multiplayer, funny this, all the ones claiming they play super high settings with no issue play singleplayer and probably don't even know what a 16 plane furball looks like. Those settings would drag my computer to its knees in the middle of one. Give me a break. I'd argue it's not really subjective either since smooth would be no artifacts and no other weird stuff going on, which anything less than 80 fps seems to cause. But you guys play the game however you want just don't come on here telling people that they can play the game maxed out at smooth as glass frame rates. Post up a benchmark run so people can see your avg is most like 45, and that you may even drop below that occasionally.

I can agree with the point here. I can immediately tell without looking at the FPS counter that it's not pegged at 90 but 'dipped' to 85-87. Even a slight drop like this gives quite noticeably worse experience than pegged at 90. I play with ASW off so I can manage in huge furballs if I happen to enter one but I avoid them because with ASW off I still have one artifact -- that it is not smooth. It is simply not, and it's very hard for me to believe it is for others in the 45-80 range. It is playable and tolerable, sure, but wouldn't call it smooth. Doing it must be a subjective opinion and we must remain objective when throwing out thoughts on people who are trying to decide whether to go VR or not.

22 hours ago, Trapper said:

. As an aside Samsung  just announced this HMD is going on sale for $300 on Nov 18th. I predict this headset will become the main VR HMD for simmers. Oh! it does bleed light if you have a narrow face like me, but I fixed it very easy. The new blue tooth tracking is flawless( fixed from the old Odyssey blue tooth issue some older PC's had, it's now built into the headset properly).

Are we shure it is the plus version?  

https://www.vrandfun.com/samsung-odyssey-vr-headset-black-friday-sale-299/

Edited by Dutch2
  • Like 1

From the article Dutch2 referenced above.

with the launch of the new Odyssey+ headset, the company has decided to mark down the previous version to just $299 during their Black Friday Sale event.

Hi again, obviously everyone will set their VR settings to which ever way they enjoy their gameplay, my settings are for own tastes for visual clarity, so of course it's not meant as a setup guide for everyone. It's clear to me some players here get angry and hurl insults when others play differently or are less demanding with the gameplay, Whatever. However the headset is great and this link may help European players who want to take advantage of a great Black Friday deal. Hope this helps you. Have fun.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, moosya said:

That trapper dude is running 4xAA and 200% SS maxed out on a 1080 I didn't even notice the 4xAA at first. "smooth as glass". The only glass here is the one he's using to smoke some of that devils lettuce out of.

• Haha 1

Ha ha. I think this thread is about the Odyssey +, give it a try me laddio. I think they're becoming hard to get for obvious reasons.

Some people consider 24 fps on a monitor silky smooth, we shouldn't be surprised there are those claiming the same for VR. With a 1080 Ti, I run High detail, high clouds, 2x AA and around 1.3 SS with the rest of the stuff set to medium-ish and ASW off with the Rift. In career mode, I mostly get 85-90 fps but it will drop to 45 with lots going on in my FoV. It is mostly 90 fps even in combat though. This nonsense about silky smooth at maxed out settings and 200% SS with a regular 1080 is just that, nonsense. He's playing at 22 fps and thinks that's great. Maybe for him it is, but I suspect that isn't acceptable for most of us.

You guys know it's neither about the graphicscard nor the headset, but about the processor. So why get triggered over his choice of words? 

Yeah, 45fps without ASW isn't "silky smooth", especially when planes run perpendicular.  But good framerate is possible with a GTX1080, I got better fps than some guys running the RTX2080(ti) as well, at least in the testing environment. But I'd never ramp up SS to 200% because IL-2's scaling is off and cuts your rendering bubble from 10km to less than 10km. Hence the game runs as fast as my good old i7 @5GHz 

I have no doubt dburne will race ahead in his Ferrari 9900K once it arrives. 

11 hours ago, SCG_Fenris_Wolf said:

You guys know it's neither about the graphicscard nor the headset, but about the processor. So why get triggered over his choice of words? 

Yeah, 45fps without ASW isn't "silky smooth", especially when planes run perpendicular.  But good framerate is possible with a GTX1080, I got better fps than some guys running the RTX2080(ti) as well, at least in the testing environment. But I'd never ramp up SS to 200% because IL-2's scaling is off and cuts your rendering bubble from 10km to less than 10km. Hence the game runs as fast as my good old i7 @5GHz 

I have no doubt dburne will race ahead in his Ferrari 9900K once it arrives. 

Unfortunately the new 9 series intel chips have 0 ipc gain over the previous coffee lake chips. There hasnt been any real IPC gains from chips in years, AMD got massive gains with ZEN but that's compared to their FX chips which were so far behind in terms of IPC that they had to play catchup, we've been stuck with basically sandy bridge performance for years. A very expensive 9900k or a cheap 8350k are going to perform exactly the same in this game. Any chip that's hitting 5ghz is going to be the same in this game.

Had the Odyssey since last Xmas. Works fine for me. Does seem to require a good light source. Been experimenting with IR spectrum; works better than UV. Recommend it for now. Lighter and smaller would be better.

BOS.JPG.8b44d010a434e4e3b76340b06cce6a94.JPG 

On ‎11‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 6:38 AM, 15th_JonRedcorn said:

Resolution displayed by Trapper was... 800x600. 

Guys thanks for all the VR info, I just did order the Samsung Odyssey plus, on the Big Apple Buddy website. 

Without all your help, me as an VRnoob, I would never get the right VRset that does suit to my hardware and budget. 

My research also did lead to a VR arcade hal and I and my son did not have any problems with the motion illness, small FOV and lensrays using the Vive. Only we found both the big pixel effect (SDE) a real disapointing aspect. 

Thank U guys. 

Edited by Dutch2
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, Thad said:

Resolution displayed by Trapper was... 800x600. 

His in game resolution selection makes no difference, his steam VR SS settings were at 200% of the headsets native res which is insanely high. Nice try though.

Salutations,

I have no dog in this fight. I wasn't trying anything. I just wanted to point it out and present the 'possibility' that it permitted his reported performance. I'm ignorant of such VR things. :salute: