SCG_klobuk

Too many career missions without contact

Hello all,

I'm sometimes flying also career missions but I really don't like that many missions are without contact. I know that in reality many missions were like that but I think that we all are playing this wonderful simulator because we want to shoot something and not just flying :)  What's your opinion?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

I like it how it is - I have been playing on the medium density setting. The proportion of missions with contact (I assume you mean air-air contact) is still fairly high, but the uncertainty of what will happen is part of the suspense.  You are on ground attack: will there be a CAP over  the target? Will you be intercepted en route? Will there be enemy lurking near your airfield? All part of the fun for me.

There is always QMB if you are just wanting a fight, and if you use PWCG you can adjust the number of enemy flights, I believe. The Career mission generator could be more flexible to give you  a higher probability of contact, but I would hate it if the default was set so that you always got into a dogfight.

• Upvote 2

On the contrary, I get far too many missions with enemy contact - more than 2/3 of my fighter missions involve air-air combat.

If you want a guaranteed chance to shoot something, you have the QMB. This isn’t what careers or scripted campaigns are for.

Thanks for your replies guys. I'm playing also QMB but mainly MP. I also want to go through the whole career as well and I was a little bit disspointed that 1/3 of missions are without contact also on swift settings. Don't understand me wrong, I love the concept, medals, profile and everything... Maybe a little bit more action would be nice on swift dificulty that's all.

44 minutes ago, klobuk said:

Thanks for your replies guys. I'm playing also QMB but mainly MP. I also want to go through the whole career as well and I was a little bit disspointed that 1/3 of missions are without contact also on swift settings. Don't understand me wrong, I love the concept, medals, profile and everything... Maybe a little bit more action would be nice on swift dificulty that's all.

That sounds a bit heavy on the empty enemy AI missions.

I have played the Career through twice so far, and whilst there were some don't think it was quite near a third.

Keep an eye on the large map , sometimes they may be in the area just not so close as to be obvious. I have found enemy bombers that way trying to slip through or back to their base.

6 hours ago, Gambit21 said:

If you want a guaranteed chance to shoot something, you have the QMB. This isn’t what careers or scripted campaigns are for.

Nah, QMB is missing most of the elements that make the career game enjoyable.  Having a couple of career missions in a row with completely empty skies is a bit of a bummer, especially when we don't have all the time in the world for gaming.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Gambit21 said:

So pick one depending on how much time you have. 

Or, keep playing career because I enjoy it more, and offer my input as to what I think would make it better.

33 minutes ago, molotovb said:

Or, keep playing career because I enjoy it more, and offer my input as to what I think would make it better.

The QMB could (and my guess is, at some point will be) more robust.

That said you shouldn't expect the Dev's to introduce an aspect that tilts more towards the 'game' side of things.

Real pilots often when multiple sorties without contact - so should you at times when flying the career.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Gambit21 said:

The QMB could (and my guess is, at some point will be) more robust.

That said you shouldn't expect the Dev's to introduce an aspect that tilts more towards the 'game' side of things.

Real pilots often when multiple sorties without contact - so should you at times when flying the career.

That's not true at all.  The devs have actually done a great job of balancing realism and fun, and there's no reason for me to expect that to not continue.  

1 minute ago, molotovb said:

That's not true at all.  The devs have actually done a great job of balancing realism and fun, and there's no reason for me to expect that to not continue.  

Expect whatever you want.

5 hours ago, klobuk said:

Try a different aircraft/or different squadron, etc.

You shouldn't have contact every mission, but the frequency you quote does sound a little light.

If a combination of settings truly results in frequency of contact this low for an extended period (not 5 missions)  then it's possible there might need to be an adjustment somewhere.

So if you have the will and the time, fly a bunch with your current settings and keep track.

Otherwise I suggest just switching things up a bit.

Thanks for being an adult about it too.

Not everyone is. ;)

I'm flying a Jabo career on the Kuban map and so far there hasn't been any mission WITHOUT enemy contact.

I'm flying with settings to "dense" - mostly because I want to shoot up more stuff on the ground.

So either there's a "kick me" sign stapled to my back or you guys are just looking the other way :)

45 minutes ago, Bremspropeller said:

I'm flying a Jabo career on the Kuban map and so far there hasn't been any mission WITHOUT enemy contact.

I'm flying with settings to "dense" - mostly because I want to shoot up more stuff on the ground.

So either there's a "kick me" sign stapled to my back or you guys are just looking the other way :)

Imho, any ground attacker career should be played on “scattered”. There will still be tons of ground targets strewn about, and dozens of ground objects to kill in your target zone. And then you won’t have to deal with insurmountable odds every mission.

51 minutes ago, Bremspropeller said:

I was flying several missions where I was defending our crossing. There is also some kind of radar so you can see incomming enemies. I was flying there in circles for 20 minutes, constantly checking map. After 20 minutes I had message that objective is completed and I can go back home...

19 minutes ago, klobuk said:

I was flying several missions where I was defending our crossing. There is also some kind of radar so you can see incomming enemies. I was flying there in circles for 20 minutes, constantly checking map. After 20 minutes I had message that objective is completed and I can go back home...

Yep, problem in those missions seems to be that the enemy pilots are taking their sweet time to actually arrive, usually only quite a while after the "Mission complete" notification. I think they only start taking off once you reach the target area and start circling (?).

I've actually been quite happy with the amount of action I've been getting, but I definitely symphatise with you. In Rise of Flight career missions often feel very empty and the Western Front in general like a ghost town.

I wouldn't like constant non-stop action either, but quick missions simply aren't the same as career, and I often find myself reluctant to play the career when I know my limited flying time might consist of 40-80 mins of flying around with nothing happening... That will always make me feel disappointed, no matter how nice it is to fly and admire the scenery. Realism is all well and good, but games need to be fun first and foremost.

On 10/20/2018 at 11:56 AM, klobuk said:

I'm sometimes flying also career missions but I really don't like that many missions are without contact.

Just to get the obvious out of the way first - have you tried changing the "Density fo the front-line activity" setting of the career? From "scattered" (which is default) to "normal" or "dense"?

image.png.4a8b5d991138c94d5267c612dfa5c44d.png

1 hour ago, CrazyDuck said:

Just to get the obvious out of the way first - have you tried changing the "Density fo the front-line activity" setting of the career? From "scattered" (which is default) to "normal" or "dense"?

image.png.4a8b5d991138c94d5267c612dfa5c44d.png

These are my settings in career:

Untitled.png.16ef2c28b707aa7d422f8912d6af3b3f.png

Play it on iron mode and when you get a way in to it, as in real life you'll be glad when you make it back to base without enemy contact! 

6 hours ago, Sotka94 said:

I wouldn't like constant non-stop action either, but quick missions simply aren't the same as career, and I often find myself reluctant to play the career when I know my limited flying time might consist of 40-80 mins of flying around with nothing happening... That will always make me feel disappointed, no matter how nice it is to fly and admire the scenery. Realism is all well and good, but games need to be fun first and foremost.

Exactly this! Makes the game world feel very empty as well - no combat anywhere, no radio chatter, just circling around a point in an empty map.  I do wonder if there's an issue related to that mission type (usually something like guard a river crossing), as it seems to happen very consistently.

I don't have any problem to make contact with REDS in my career mode, be patient. 

One time, I ran out of ammunition and forced myself to watch several  YaK-1 chasing down our He-111s. Basically, YaK-1 pilots ignored me and chasing down our He-111s.  At that moment, I felt so helpless as I was watching one of He-111s diving toward the earth slowly as He-111 spewing a black smoke

1 hour ago, molotovb said:

Exactly this! Makes the game world feel very empty as well - no combat anywhere, no radio chatter, just circling around a point in an empty map.  I do wonder if there's an issue related to that mission type (usually something like guard a river crossing), as it seems to happen very consistently.

I think that it is possible that the problem is mainly or only in these type of missions. Today I had crossing defend mission and enemy planes reach their target destination (and our defend destination) while I was already landing after successful mission that took almost 30 minutes.

I generally try for contact on most missions.  That's also a reason why I model at most one mission per day.  I know that these guys flew a lot more than that, but what I am trying to do is model the one time per day that there is contact.  I also make things such that contact is not guaranteed, just to keep things interesting.

I get it that some people want to emulate every aspect of the reality.  Five missions per day, four of them without contact. For me it's a game and I want to have fun in my limited time.  IMHO both points of view are valid.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Both are valid.

In a scripted campaign, which is 12-16 missions or so, I think it's more important to ensure contact in most of those.

In a career that's many, many more missions I think it's OK to have 2 or 3 in a row without...but everyone has their own preference there.

Realistically, 2 or 3 at least wouldn't be uncommon IRL. Again, as you say, it's a game and we're here to have fun.

I think the career over all strikes a good balance.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, PatrickAWlson said:

That's also a reason why I model at most one mission per day.  I know that these guys flew a lot more than that, but what I am trying to do is model the one time per day that there is contact. 

Yeah that's perfect, makes a lot of sense.  Despite the fact that it's a simulation, you're playing a sim that represents the interesting aspects of a career.  

Edited by molotovb

When flying missions on the setting scattered or medium the AI often shows up after mission is completed. So a lot of the missions (like cover a bridge crossing or whatever) when i have returned or am about to return our airfield i see messages pop up that a IL-2 has shot down a "truck" or what not. Usually i stay a bit longer providing overwatch and usually a dozen of YAKs or something shows up. Problem there is that your squad is already at the airfield and you will have to do the work yourself.

At least that is my experience of most missions.

My advice is to stick around. If not patrol on your own above the frontline.