Sign in to follow this  
Plank

The Camel: Will it chew up and spit out the DR1? We ask our panel of experts....

1 hour ago, SeaW0lf said:

Nonetheless, I'm still working on my Camel skin just in case ;)

Just make sure it has fur.

pelztasse.jpg

20 minutes ago, ZachariasX said:

LOL, synthetic fur though :biggrin: 

3 hours ago, SeaW0lf said:

The bug might have been just a way of saying or a miscommunication, and I will explain why:

No.  He was quite clear.  It was a bug.

On 12/30/2018 at 6:52 PM, ZachariasX said:

The Sopwith Camel template skin is out! I'll see what I can do with it ;)

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, SeaW0lf said:

The Sopwith Camel template skin is out! I'll see what I can do with it 

Is there also the Pfalz D.IIIa ? Could you lead me to the water?

59 minutes ago, Wolfram-Harms said:

Is there also the Pfalz D.IIIa ? Could you lead me to the water?

Yes, the Pfalz got a skin as well! You can check at Official Skin Template Links. It is the last batch of skins, down the post.

• Thanks 1

I do enjoy reading this thread. 

The sheer depth of knowledge displayed in so many of the posts provides for a real education.

I'm obliged, gentlemen.

Wonderful - thank you, SeaWolf!

Hey, SP1969 - did you like our winding? You can find my video in YOUTUBE under "Dogfight".
Was fun. I guess you had fired a lot of ammo before and were careful about wasting it?

• Like 1

I had great fun!

No, I haven't seen it - do you have a link?

Just found it! 

No, I wasn't not firing because I had low ammo, I was flying with 'red mist' clouding vision - you'd clipped me with an early burst and I couldn't see you!

1 hour ago, SP1969 said:

No, I wasn't not firing because I had low ammo, I was flying with 'red mist' clouding vision - you'd clipped me with an early burst and I couldn't see you!

Ah well, I thought you must have been hampered somehow. 
A Camel is usually a nasty beast - sorry for killing you that way. 

It was fun, I enjoyed it and that is what it is all about, Sir. 

I enjoyed watching the movie, too - and I liked the music you used.

I look very much forward to the next encounter!

• Like 1

Alright then - next time, when you see everything, your Camel may chew the tail off my Pfalz!
Pfalz shouldn't try to Tango with Camels. I should try the "Hartmann" then...

Oh, and the music is the British band ARCHIVE - the track is called "Lights". 

11 hours ago, Wolfram-Harms said:

Pfalz shouldn't try to Tango with Camels. I should try the "Hartmann" then...

Actually those last online skirmishes made me realize that the Pfalz can fly much tighter/smaller circle than the Camel. If the Camel does not use its higher speed to climb above the Pfalz and „do a Hartmann“ on him, the Pfalz holds itself remarkably well. It can maneuver at speeds, where the Camel just falls out of the sky. The Camel can never follow a Pfalz‘ scissor.

Good to know - although that sounds quite wrong to me. From all I've read, the Pfalz D.III pilots avoided
any turning with Camels, and prefered to only make surprise dive-attacks on them, from which they
could zoom up again with the gained energy.

7 hours ago, Wolfram-Harms said:

Good to know - although that sounds quite wrong to me. From all I've read, the Pfalz D.III pilots avoided
any turning with Camels, and prefered to only make surprise dive-attacks on them, from which they
could zoom up again with the gained energy.

Any Pfalz D.III pilot is ill advised even thinking about continued turnfighting a Camel. The catch here is that the Pfalz can turn do tight because it gets so slow, to the point where it is almost stoping. This is not a sustained turn. But using superior roll, they can do the scissor so slow that the Camel cannot follow. The Camel requires separation then gaining altitude.

The tight turn of the Pfalz is much more od a downward spiral than the Camels. Once it reaches the deck, it cannot keep turning but must resort to a scissor. The sustained turn would be wide enough for the Camel to follow easily.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ZachariasX said:

Any Pfalz D.III pilot is ill advised even thinking about continued turnfighting a Camel. The catch here is that the Pfalz can turn do tight because it gets so slow, to the point where it is almost stoping. This is not a sustained turn. But using superior roll, they can do the scissor so slow that the Camel cannot follow. The Camel requires separation then gaining altitude.

The tight turn of the Pfalz is much more od a downward spiral than the Camels. Once it reaches the deck, it cannot keep turning but must resort to a scissor. The sustained turn would be wide enough for the Camel to follow easily.

Flew the PD3a exclusively for the last two weeks.  It does do what you say, very good at defensive maneuvers but tough to go on the offense with it. Once on the deck about the best you can hope for is that you opponent is very green, and spins it in.:P

12 hours ago, ZachariasX said:

The "downward spiral" here is the (in context) lesser performing plane having to use gravity to stay out of the enemy sights, until it runs out of air.

A good pilot can drag a Camel to the ground in an E3 if he wants, before innevitably succumbing, assuming the Camel pilot is at least half decent !

In RoF dogfights it's rare to see anyone flying the PD3, and once there's 20+ planes in FC, I expect it'll be the same.

It's quick kill or be killed for the Pfalz if it commits to a full on engagement. Verses a Camel I try and fly it more like Spad or SE5. Speed and altitude retention are crucial.

Lovely plane, but in a scrap it's always felt like a bit of a lump.

S!

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Zooropa_Fly said:

In RoF dogfights it's rare to see anyone flying the PD3, and once there's 20+ planes in FC, I expect it'll be the same.

Off-topic, but you should come to the Thursday night fly-in on RoF some time...not too long ago I saw 12 Pfalz D3s flying in formation...

Edited by US103_Larner

The Pfalz D.III is very sturdy; almost unbreakable in steep dives (mind the engine revs though!).
That makes her perfect for surprise attacks from high up.

The she is also stronger in the prop climb than the Camel, or so it seemed to me.

The Camel has a great aerodynamic climb (wing lift), but the more vertical the Pfalz goes,
the more the Camel drops back and has to break off. 

If the Pfalz performs a quite vertical elliptical combat, it gets hard for the Camel pilot;
due to said lesser prop-climb, and also because of his bad vision over the upper wing.

But to be honest, I'd rather avoid any longer turning with Camels, climb back to superior alt

and try it again from there. You never know which "squirming toad ace" sits in the Camel...

56 minutes ago, US103_Larner said:

Off-topic, but you should come to the Thursday night fly-in on RoF ...

Thursday night flight? When does it start? Which server?

Edited by Wolfram-Harms

It alternates weekly between Wargrounds and Cubans Syndicate. Start time is between 8-9 PM EST

• Thanks 1