Han

Developer Diary 208 - Discussion

The line " we're sure you'll be surprised and amused by the new prospects." is intriguing. They certainly look amused in the accompanying pic. I wonder what news will result of this meeting.

Edited by Torso

Yes new pilot models...…...Ruff Ruff    I'm so Happy

thWC1YJ4UY.jpg

Edited by Magnum11
Spelling
  • Haha 1

48 minutes ago, JimTM said:

I'm looking forward to hearing about the new ideas.

Great pictures! I noticed that the first one is also labeled 'Work In Progress". Very lifelike! When can we expect Han and Jason to be released?  ;)

Actually, that's @=FB=VikS in that first shot. @Han is a giant by comparison. :)

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, VBF-12_Stick-95 said:

Surprised?  Maybe...   Amused?  hmmm... tell me more.

my guess for the amusement. they introduce the German paratroopers as playable units to be used with the Ju-52. you can then drop your friends on top of the enemy. 😄 

• Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

:good:

Looking forward to hearing more about those newer distant plans as the become less so distant.

I'm happy you have made such impressive progress but, with tanks and a new WWI game thrown in the mix, the Pacific is pushed back out of sight.  Well, cheers to those who enjoy it and best of luck in your new endeavors. 

• Upvote 1

Serious question, not trying to complain or anything like that, but what is the point of making 3D models for stuff like the powertrain? We can never see this model correct? so why put so much detail into it instead of making a set of hitboxes that correspond to a given system in the plane? Again I am not complaining, I am just curious as to how this all works.

• Upvote 1

Salutations,

Why such quality and accurate vehicle models? They pride themselves on the craft and vehicles they create. The modelers take pleasure in their creative efforts. I find such detailed modeling praiseworthy even if I never actually see all said details while playing.

It pleases and reassures me that the developers are giving us quality accurate models. :yahoo:

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

Everything looks great although a little so so for me.

I feel the electric quiet before the storm!

Edited by AeroAce

1 hour ago, JimTM said:

I'm looking forward to hearing about the new ideas.

Great pictures! I noticed that the first one is also labeled 'Work In Progress". Very lifelike! When can we expect Han and Jason to be released?  ;)

Agree, i mean the late war German guy is OK, but he pales in comparison to those first 2.

Seriously though, the label is right, we are all "in progress" . 

• Haha 1

Sounds good. My extensive wishlist from the head to head:

1. A dedicated AI developer.

Anything else is cherries on top. 😘

• Upvote 3

I am guessing "surprised and amused" means it is not one of the usual suspects, i.e Pacific, med, Ostfront, etc.

Hmm surprised and amused....

IL*2: Battle of Britain

IL*2: Battle of Africa

IL*2: Flying Fortress

IL*2: Korea

IL*2: Battle of France

IL*2: Spanish Civil War

IL*2: Battle of Leningrad

Ship Crew: Clash at Jutland

Edited by Danziger
  • Like 4

Its gonna be Il-2 Great Battles: Logistics.

Every day is going to be an epic struggle as you, roleplaying a ground crew chief, have to keep these buckets of bolts airborne for every idiotic pilot who brings back shot up carcasses, drops them onto the runway from 30 feet up and bounces over to your hangar.

Usable tools will include:
-Mark II monkey wrench (with optional rust loadout)
-Outdated manuals
-Specialized tools that nevertheless dont function as well as the monkey wrench

Additionally, there will be a function where you can shout obscenities at your AI crew to increase their productivity (at a cost to their morale). For maximum realism, use Russian or German. 

The sim will lack true immersion unless the devs enable a red mist coming over your vision when the wing commander criticizes your readiness rate. 

• Haha 5

I expect the detailed engine modeling greatly helps with damage modeling.

Looking forward to hearing the new plans you guys are working on. re-worked AI perhaps?

• Like 1

Looking great! 

Im intrigued by future plans. I hope we can do another Q&A with Jason once we are closer to final Bodenplatte release and future plans are announced.

Were pareachutes on the pilot's back instead of under them later in the war? I thought they sat on them but dont know much about the topic.

As pretty as pictures are, the discussion on development of the series and its future is great news.  Jason being there in person with the team to get face time and round table (I would hope) thought processes is great.

Can I offer a suggestion? In this age of multiple core CPU's can we get flight modelling and AI distributed across cores?  This seems to me to be the limitation on ramping up the game engine.  The graphics department is great and continues to improve wonderfully but it is being held back to an extent with regards to consistency and smoothness by the other two CPU core intensive processes.  One notices this especially when you get multi engined aircraft in the sky and many of them at the same time. 

It is probably also why on the deck flying see's frames drop compared to 2+K alt as AI ground based objects start chomping up single core CPU resources.  Especially at airfields. To be able to have the engine distribute these processes across the multiple CPU cores we have available and ramping up based on how many cores we have, this would be a god send.  To graphics and to the scale of the front line action we fly.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 5

45 minutes ago, Jade_Monkey said:

Were pareachutes on the pilot's back instead of under them later in the war? I thought they sat on them but dont know much about the topic.

Depends on the chute.

In the 190, a chute on your back was standard - the seat is moulded that way anyway.

Pips Priller exitig his Fw 190A-7/8 (note the Erla tank-rack):

priller.4qir8dx1ik8w0o8ookg0888cg.ejcupl

See this picture of Walter Loos about to board his Fw 190:

loos.jpg

Bruno Stolle in front of his Fw 190A-4:

Spoiler

focke-wulf-fw-190a-8-jg2-b12-i-bruno-sto

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, Torso said:

surprised

This is actually bad news, it means something new and not PTO

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

8 minutes ago, LuseKofte said:

Indeed. :(

1 minute ago, Akatsuki said:

Indeed. :(

It might just as well mean that development of the Pacific can start sooner than expected, or a buyout from EA, or the Arado will be the next collector plane, or [anything].

No need to take out disappointment in advance! Beatiful shots of the Pfalz will keep my prop ticking over for another week!

12 minutes ago, LuseKofte said:

And I thought I had a negative mindset. Drink a half empty glass of water and take a breath or two. 😋

16 minutes ago, FlyingNutcase said:

And I thought I had a negative mindset. Drink a half empty glass of water and take a breath or two. 😋

Are you kidding me, I have been in this the last two years because of PTO plans, but I do not use it. This is not my life and I have absolutely no hard feelings against the developers nor remarks like yours :) 

This is not my life, I accept a busyness strategy in a company I am not part of. But I want to have a clear message, if PTO is not coming I will delete my account here and uninstall the game. You know this is only a game, it really do not matter. But I bought a lot of stuff from here , gifting it away for supporting a PTO development. And I feel somehow cheated , because I would have left for some time ago if developers just could say the words

• Confused 3
  • Upvote 4

7 hours ago, =EXPEND=Capt_Yorkshire said:

Nice work devs  looks good .     FYI   i dont see any servers rights now.

Same, anyone else cannot see a list of servers in "Dogfight"??

40 minutes ago, LuseKofte said:

Are you kidding me, I have been in this the last two years because of PTO plans, but I do not use it. This is not my life and I have absolutely no hard feelings against the developers nor remarks like yours :) 

This is not my life, I accept a busyness strategy in a company I am not part of. But I want to have a clear message, if PTO is not coming I will delete my account here and uninstall the game. You know this is only a game, it really do not matter. But I bought a lot of stuff from here , gifting it away for supporting a PTO development. And I feel somehow cheated , because I would have left for some time ago if developers just could say the words

They said there's a "surprise" and you immediately conclude that the PTO is off the development plans. My statement stands, including the wink so don't take it too seriously - just a friendly poke. Maybe like Luftschiff suggested, it'll be coming earlier than expected. 

Edited by FlyingNutcase

3 hours ago, RedKestrel said:

Its gonna be Il-2 Great Battles: Logistics.

Every day is going to be an epic struggle as you, roleplaying a ground crew chief, have to keep these buckets of bolts airborne for every idiotic pilot who brings back shot up carcasses, drops them onto the runway from 30 feet up and bounces over to your hangar.

Usable tools will include:
-Mark II monkey wrench (with optional rust loadout)
-Outdated manuals
-Specialized tools that nevertheless dont function as well as the monkey wrench

Additionally, there will be a function where you can shout obscenities at your AI crew to increase their productivity (at a cost to their morale). For maximum realism, use Russian or German. 

The sim will lack true immersion unless the devs enable a red mist coming over your vision when the wing commander criticizes your readiness rate. 

Seems like you know a thing or two about working as ground crew...:lol::drinks: