Sign in to follow this  
JimTM

Train Slows Before Waypoint

I have a bit of a mystery in an update to the train mission from pg. 70 of the manual. My updated mission (attached) makes the train run continuously between Pravoe and Stepnoye stations, with a stop at Alexei Station in between. The train does the Westbound trip fine, but on the Eastbound return trip, it slows down before reaching waypoint "Eastbound WP 1", just before Alexei Station. I was expecting the train to maintain full speed until it reached the waypoint and then slow until the engine reached the far end of the station. Instead, the train stops before the station.

Does anyone know what's happening with the waypoint behaviour? Is it a terrain effect? All the other waypoints behave as expected. Needless to say, time acceleration is your friend when troubleshooting this one.  :-)

I placed a control tower at the waypoint to make the location easy to see from the nearby camera. The effect happens with or without the tower. 

Thanks for any ideas!

Cheers!

Jim

FMEManualMakeATrainFollowARouteROUNDTRIP.zip

FMEManualMakeATrainFollowARouteSHORTROUNDTRIP.zip   <--- Shorter version of the route in the mission above. Alexei Station is in the same place but Pravoe and Stepnoye moved much closer.

FMEManualMakeATrainFollowARouteKUBANROUNDTRIP.zip  <--- Kuban version of the short mission above.

Edited by JimTM

Salutations,

I have done a check of your train situation.

Indeed... the westbound train form Stepnoya inexplicably slows down dramatically for a short time several times on its' way to Alexi and again as it continues on... once on a steep downward slope. The early stop at Alexi and none of the slowdowns are explainable.

My check in the editor doesn't reveal anything that would or could cause this anomaly. Sorry. ☹️

Edited by Thad
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for checking Thad. I thought that the slowdown at Alexei may be caused by the train going uphill before the station, but the terrain appears to go slightly downhill in that area. I suspect that the other slowdowns you saw are happening for the same reason as the one near Alexei.

I’ll take a look at the logic later, then post it in the beta forum.

• Thanks 1

I posted a new version of the mission with a much shorter route for convenience. Alexei Station remains where it is and I placed some land canvases to number the locations for each camera. The behaviour at "Eastbound WP 1" is unchanged.

Thanks for your help Thad and Gambit21.

I suspect that the AI train simply slows down at certain points in the terrain, regardless of where the waypoints are. I may have to instruct mission builders to place the waypoints according to the small chart on pg. 70 of the manual and then adjust the placement to account for slowdowns.

Edited by JimTM

Just tested a bunch of times.

I'm not getting any slowdowns, only that it comes to a final stop in a different position relative to the waypoint compared to the Eastbout trip.

It might be terrain related.

Jim, can you paste this logic onto a different map and see if you get the same behavior?

I'd have to do that before I reported it as a bug anyway...have to eliminate any variables we can on our end first.

Edited by Gambit21

1 hour ago, Gambit21 said:

Just tested a bunch of times.

I'm not getting any slowdowns, only that it comes to a final stop in a different position relative to the waypoint compared to the Eastbout trip.

It might be terrain related.

Jim, can you paste this logic onto a different map and see if you get the same behavior?

I'd have to do that before I reported it as a bug anyway...have to eliminate any variables we can on our end first.

Thanks Gambit.

I added FMEManualMakeATrainFollowARouteKUBANROUNDTRIP.zip to the opening post. This time, the train made it almost to the end of Alexei station after it passed "Eastbound WP 1".

Edited by JimTM