Han

Developer Diary 207 - Discussion

Great news on the blown canopy being available. It first started being fitted to planes in October 1944 (made by Roland), but it wasn't until January 1945 that all the factories building the D-9 implemented the blown canopy (the available evidence shows D-9s with both the flat and the blown canopy were lost during Operation Bodenplatte).

Edited by LukeFF
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

The Dora picks are magnificent.

Indeed a lot to do. In all this work, which is the main driver, please remember to improve the little things that will make the whole thing more immersive and realistic.

We focus a lot on the machines planes, tanks, etc.. , we should also do more about the humans in the game: Pilots, soldiers etc.. not only machines against machines but feel more the presence of combatants on the field, in the cities etc. Sometimes little things can have a lot of visual impact.

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, Jason_Williams said:

Guys,

There will be the two types of canopies available for the Dora. I had originally thought no, but I was thinking of another plane. The Dora will have two different styles of canopies available.

:salute:

Jason

Thank you sir!! im really exited for it!!

Good news with the canopy for Dora, thanks Jason.
But it would be very good to have it for the F8, I think it would work for both of us, the work is done, I do not know if it would be complicated to fit it to the 3d model of the A-8 ...?
We know that the team has a lot of work and this is secondary.
Anyway thank you very much.:salute:

I really had to look at those canopies.

The flats are one thing and the blown is another, but the difference between the ones of each type is minimal. Really glad that there will be one of each though. Cheers.

Edited by 216th_Cat

6 minutes ago, 216th_Cat said:

really had to look at those canopies.

The flats are one thing and the blown is another, but the difference between the ones of each type is minimal.

Look at the differences in headrest armor.

• Upvote 2

I did. Still minimal. I take it that we're getting common blown and common flat? Would seem to make sense.

That first close-up of the belly of the beast... Just gorgeous. Exquisite detailing. Kudos to the artist!

1 hour ago, 216th_Cat said:

I did. Still minimal. I take it that we're getting common blown and common flat? Would seem to make sense.

A comparison between the rear visibility of the flat one vs the bulged one (from a DCS video) which besides extra space the headrest also has the cutaway to allow for a better six o clock check:

unknown.png

unknown.png

Edited by -=PHX=-SuperEtendard
  • Upvote 4

It should also be a better protection against bullets shot from your six, as they first have to penetrate the material behind the armored headrest, which makes them tumble and therefore lose penetration effectivity.

10 hours ago, 216th_Cat said:

Guys, please take your time to re-read Cat's initial post about the canopy differences. He said that he has troubles to spot the differences between the two variants of the same canopy type. What he is trying to communicate is that he feels like the differences between Early Flat Canopy and Common Flat Canopy are hard to spot for him, just as well as the differences between Rare Blown Canopy and Common Blown Canopy.

Everybody is free to disagree with him, but nobody should act like he said that flat and blown canopy styles look the same, which he never did.

Anyway, great DD just as always and nice to hear about both canopy styles becoming available.

Edited by Fritz_X
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

@Jason_Williams

Hi Jason 

You said you had different ideas about the bubble canopy, may i ask what Was planed? 

A second plane? 

Additions for the other focke wulf? 

Best regards Martin 

11 hours ago, Fritz_X said:

Guys, please take your time to re-read Cat's initial post about the canopy differences. He said that he has troubles to spot the differences between the two variants of the same canopy type. What he is trying to communicate is that he feels like the differences between Early Flat Canopy and Common Flat Canopy are hard to spot for him, just as well as the differences between Rare Blown Canopy and Common Blown Canopy.

Everybody is free to disagree with him, but nobody should act like he said that flat and blown canopy styles look the same, which he never did.

Anyway, great DD just as always and nice to hear about both canopy styles becoming available.

I just posted the pictures to show that while from outside view the change isnt that big, from inside its quite different as the pilot's rear visibility is significantly improved. 

7 minutes ago, -=PHX=-SuperEtendard said:

I just posted the pictures to show that while from outside view the change isnt that big, from inside its quite different as the pilot's rear visibility is significantly improved. 

Not only because of the blown canopy, but also because the armored headrest is narrower than the one of the flat canopy.

9 hours ago, 76IAP-Black said:

@Jason_Williams

Hi Jason 

You said you had different ideas about the bubble canopy, may i ask what Was planed? 

A second plane? 

Additions for the other focke wulf? 

Best regards Martin 

I believe he simply meant that he had confused the Dora with another plane and thought that we'd only see one version of the canopy. The confusion has been cleared up and presto: We get both canopies for the D-9. No secrit plans.

It`s funny how the same planes recreated in games differ from each other. I`ve been having the DCS Dora for a while now, yet the aircraft in the screenshots looks not like a historic plane but a ferocious steel beast. Maybe it`s about the light and colors. I don`t know how you guys do it, but I`m excited for the Dora yet again.

1 hour ago, Mac_Messer said:

It`s funny how the same planes recreated in games differ from each other. I`ve been having the DCS Dora for a while now, yet the aircraft in the screenshots looks not like a historic plane but a ferocious steel beast. Maybe it`s about the light and colors. I don`t know how you guys do it, but I`m excited for the Dora yet again.

To me looks simply an hungry wolf !!!

1 hour ago, [CPT]milopugdog said:

Simply splendid! The Fw-190 D is an old favorite of mine... To shoot down that is.

From my experience in DCS I kinda have a poor view of the D9. I'm not sure how it will perform in this game but in DCS it isn't much competition, this is probably due to the way players fly it though.

Edited by Legioneod

9 hours ago, Legioneod said:

From my experience in DCS I kinda have a poor view of the D9. I'm not sure how it will perform in this game but in DCS it isn't much competition, this is probably due to the way players fly it though.

I flew it against P51 AI and I had a significantly more difficult time in it compared to the 109k. I love the 190 series and think I fly it to its strengths pretty well in IL-2. The DCS one is a lot more quirky than I see in other renditions. It departs with even less warning and is quite twitchy in yaw axis. Also that atrocious DCS head bob doesnt help. 

18 minutes ago, Godspeed said:

So this week we get bf 109K4 and P47?

If not I want a full refund as this team never seems to bring out updates!!!! 😎

41 minutes ago, ST_ami7b5 said:

YES :) It's gonna be the best thing since sliced bread, and you know who invented sliced bread?.. America that's who!!!  They also made the P-47 which will be here this week and is a nazi killing machine.

Fixed that for you.

Edited by Legioneod
  • Haha 1

On 10/15/2018 at 10:16 AM, Legioneod said:

From my experience it's been okay? I much prefer the sort of action you'll get with the F/G-8 over the fast'n'high gig.

So much fantastic awesomeness is heading our way. I am looking forward to all the new rides and other content! And the Dora looks beautiful. 😍

Edited by NewGuy_

On 10/13/2018 at 4:55 PM, Jason_Williams said:

Guys,

There will be the two types of canopies available for the Dora. I had originally thought no, but I was thinking of another plane. The Dora will have two different styles of canopies available.

:salute:

Jason

Now we just need an option for the Razorback P47 :)

2 hours ago, guidom said:

Ahh, I would really have liked that, but I know I'm a quirky old sort to prefer early designs. There's a lot more charm to something with a few quirks, and while the razorback looks like a plane, the bubble P47 just looks ridiculous to me, its proportions all wrong, like some toy spaceship.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, guidom said:

While there were Razorback's in-theatre during Bodenplatte, I would much rather have a separate title covering the U.S. daylight bombing campaign of 43'-44'. That aircraft would hold its own much better against mid-war Luftwaffe fighters.

1 hour ago, lord_certalic said:

While there were Razorback's in-theatre during Bodenplatte, I would much rather have a separate title covering the U.S. daylight bombing campaign of 43'-44'. That aircraft would hold its own much better against mid-war Luftwaffe fighters.

Razorbacks actually had some advantages over the later bubbletops, they were more stable and I've read pilots say they could turn a bit tighter than the bubbletops. They were also faster in certain situations (well not really faster but was able to obtain it's max speed at lower altitudes)

Edited by Legioneod
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Legioneod said:

Razorbacks actually had some advantages over the later bubbletops, they were more stable and I've read pilots say they could turn a bit tighter than the bubbletops. They were also faster in certain situations (well not really faster but was able to obtain it's max speed at lower altitudes)

Thank you for sharing that! If there ever is a Razorback, I hope this info is taken into account and implemented in the final design. 

21 hours ago, lord_certalic said:

Yes agree - daylight bombing 43 - 44 would be excellent. BUT - we need 4-engines bombers for this. And as Jason said, heavy bombers are not in plane in close future. Personally i hope that after time we will have B17 and B24 as AI but im afraid that it will only a dream in some next years. 

... Will be great if will night battles too, for example He219 against Lancaster, Bf-190G-4, night Ju88, Me262b2/U1, night Mosquitos etc... Oh yeah... 

... what i really want - heh, my wet dream - is Battle of France 1940 and battles over Italy and Sicily :)

I've been saying that a B24 would be awesome but ive thought some more and the gameplay would be boring AF. Id say that having them as AI only with simplified FM and DM would be a good start.

How many people really do a full He111 sortie with proper altitude?

4 minutes ago, Jade_Monkey said:

I've been saying that a B24 would be awesome but ive thought some more and the gameplay would be boring AF. Id say that having them as AI only with simplified FM and DM would be a good start.

Many more would, if buildings could be seen further... But it is possible to bomb accurately from 5500 m to even 6000 m and people do that in TAW at least.

56 minutes ago, Jade_Monkey said:

I've bombed the TAW depot once from at least 23000ft in an A-20:crazy:

Edited by Garven_Dreis

On ‎10‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 4:11 PM, lord_certalic said:

true I guess most of the C models were not on the frontline by 1945. Still I think the style has a certain appeal. and it was my favourite in SWOTL ;)

1 hour ago, guidom said:

true I guess most of the C models were not on the frontline by 1945. Still I think the style has a certain appeal. and it was my favourite in SWOTL ;)

P-47D was also razorback up until te D-25. P-47 Razorbacks were actually very good aircraft and remained competitive until the end of the war.

The only real disadvantage of the razorbacks were their lack of visibility, other than that they were just as capable (even more capable in certain areas) as the D series bubbletops.

The only time bubbletops really outperformed razorbacks was when the P-47M and N were produced, but they had a C series engine and were very powerful aircraft.

I'd love to see an P-47M in the game, that was the hotrod of all the P-47s.

D-22 or D-23 would be my choice when it comes to the razorbacks.

Edited by Legioneod
  • Upvote 1