SqueakyS

The game needs a trailer.

In the wake of the fantastic new Star Citizen Squadron 42 trailer I found myself remembering the last time I tried to promote IL-2 when BoK was released. I posted the news of the sim's release on Reddit but all I could link to was a store page. Store pages are good for people already interested in buying the game but really don't do much in terms of getting people interested in the first place. For BoBP we really need a trailer, either fan made or preferably done by the devs, to show off to people who could be interesed in the game. Devs, please consider either making one or running another competition so we can spread the love.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

I think a trailer using in-engine footage could be useful in spreading awareness. The new DCS trailer for the F-14 was amazing and made headlines in several gaming-related news sites like Pc Gamer and Kotaku, that almost never happens with flight simulators! Almost zero news on Il2 since the 2014 release.

I stumbled on the flight sim genre almost by accident, and feel like they are really underrepresented in media like Twitch etc. Even most Youtubers who feature IL2 content and have more than a few thousand subscribers usually feature it infrequently on the side, with other games like War Thunder etc. predominating. Once I went through a couple of articles and videos to the theme of "best flight simulators", and most had this goofy barely there-awareness of the IL2 series, describing the old 1946 or Cliffs of Dover while showing screenshots of BoX with no mention of BoX itself and so on...

My point is, I personally believe flight sims are not niche only because of the scary learning curve and considerable investments required in time, money and effort, but also in part because they get so little attention anywhere outside of this relatively small community of simmers.

Fan or community made trailer - through a contest for example - would (I assume) be less demanding on dev resources. And I've already seen some great cinematics out there, like this one Shamrock made for Battle of Kuban:

And Twitch would be useful in spreading awareness as well. Currently it's hard or unwieldy to even find the few Il-2 streams since the game doesn't even have an icon there like most games. Twitch and YouTube are also the best ways to reach and attract new folk and younger blood.

Edited by Sotka94
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

HH Pauk has a number of great videos on the channel DetCord linked. They wetted my appetite before buying Stalingrad back in the day.

I'm with the OP. A contest to make an 'official' fan trailer, or one produced by the devs, would help reach a greater audience.

I'm sure there is/was an official trailer. It was a pre-rendered attack on a German airfield in Stalingrad. 

17 hours ago, DetCord12B said:

It's a fan trailer but it's f%&king awesome! That said, I agree with you completely.

17 hours ago, Sotka94 said:

I think a trailer using in-engine footage could be useful in spreading awareness. The new DCS trailer for the F-14 was amazing and made headlines in several gaming-related news sites like Pc Gamer and Kotaku, that almost never happens with flight simulators! Almost zero news on Il2 since the 2014 release.

I stumbled on the flight sim genre almost by accident, and feel like they are really underrepresented in media like Twitch etc. Even most Youtubers who feature IL2 content and have more than a few thousand subscribers usually feature it infrequently on the side, with other games like War Thunder etc. predominating. Once I went through a couple of articles and videos to the theme of "best flight simulators", and most had this goofy barely there-awareness of the IL2 series, describing the old 1946 or Cliffs of Dover while showing screenshots of BoX with no mention of BoX itself and so on...

My point is, I personally believe flight sims are not niche only because of the scary learning curve and considerable investments required in time, money and effort, but also in part because they get so little attention anywhere outside of this relatively small community of simmers.

Fan or community made trailer - through a contest for example - would (I assume) be less demanding on dev resources. And I've already seen some great cinematics out there, like this one Shamrock made for Battle of Kuban:

And Twitch would be useful in spreading awareness as well. Currently it's hard or unwieldy to even find the few Il-2 streams since the game doesn't even have an icon there like most games. Twitch and YouTube are also the best ways to reach and attract new folk and younger blood.

Both are awesome fanmade trailers, even better would be mixing them both into one trailer with better background music and audio (not to dramatic/dark and not to modern, more ww2 era).

Some feedback;

-DED trailer really shows game potential as amazing ww2 combat sim, background music don't fit so good, with more appropriate background music and title on english covering more maps/fronts (Kuban) it would be bloody perfect.

-Shamrock's trailer is full of beautiful sights showing Kuban map beauty.

Man got an eye for sights and editing!

Could be added more combat scenes and shorten the intro with invidual fighter flight scenes.

Both trailers could add more cockpit views too.

Mix of these two trailers would do the job with AAA trailer quality.

4 minutes ago, EAF_Ribbon said:

Both are awesome fanmade trailers, even better would be mixing them both into one trailer with better background music and audio (not to dramatic/dark and not to modern, more ww2 era).

Some feedback;

-DED trailer really shows game potential as amazing ww2 combat sim, background music don't fit so good, with more appropriate background music and title on english covering more maps/fronts (Kuban) it would be bloody perfect.

-Shamrock's trailer is full of beautiful sights showing Kuban map beauty.

Man got an eye for sights and editing!

Could be added more combat scenes and shorten the intro with invidual fighter flight scenes.

Both trailers could add more cockpit views too.

Mix of these two trailers would do the job with AAA trailer quality.

Thanks Ribbon. I do appreciate feedback both positive and negative! I have to make two comments.

I will do more cockpit views when I get TrackIR. Until then... the view in my cockpit is a not a pleasant one for people watching a trailer with me using the hatstick. I could just not use any motion during the in cockpit shots but those tend to lack the movement that you need in a trailer to hold interest.

Second, WWII era music means different things to different people, but I've had feedback that I should use era music and the popular style was a lot of swing jazz. It doesn't really match up. So the next thing that people think is era music is basically the soundtracks to Saving Private Ryan and Band of Brothers. That's harder music to edit to but it's also a copyrights issue. I like using Really Slow Motion most of the time because they allow content creators to use their music (plus monetization) onYouTube with appropriate link backs which I do.

Appreciate the thoughts about sights and editing too. When I set out to create something for Kuban I did want it to be a little bit of everything. Bombers, fighters, attack planes, and also I wanted the Kuban map to be a star player because it really is something amazing. Inevitably I'll do something for Bodenplatte and there I'll probably make my first airplane shot a Mustang or something like that so people know what this title is all about :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

18 hours ago, SqueakyS said:

In the wake of the fantastic new Star Citizen Squadron 42 trailer I found myself remembering the last time I tried to promote IL-2 when BoK was released. I posted the news of the sim's release on Reddit but all I could link to was a store page. Store pages are good for people already interested in buying the game but really don't do much in terms of getting people interested in the first place. For BoBP we really need a trailer, either fan made or preferably done by the devs, to show off to people who could be interesed in the game. Devs, please consider either making one or running another competition so we can spread the love.

Did the SQ42 trailer impress you ? I found myself somewhat underwhelmed.

I love some of IL2's fan made trailers made with the game engine. Friday night bomber flights really sticks out for me. If the studio was to make an official trailer though for BoBP I would hope that it was mostly in game footage. 

i posted 2 official trailers did you lot not see the post.. :D

You can tell they are official as they rendered in a different engine with details the game could never achieve.
aka False advertisement like almost all games where pre-rendered video make the game look great.

4 minutes ago, =TBAS=Sshadow14 said:

i posted 2 official trailers did you lot not see the post.. 😄

You can tell they are official as they rendered in a different engine with details the game could never achieve.
aka False advertisement like almost all games where pre-rendered video make the game look great.

I some how missed them, but yes they are beautiful, though they scream action game rather than sim.

27 minutes ago, =FEW=Herne said:

feathered that is brilliant ! is that your work ?

Yep couldn't resist.  :happy:

I completely agree, I think Bodenplatte needs an official trailer, preferably consisting of in-game footage. The game has changed a considerable amount in 4+ years, and I think a new trailer would show off those changes, as well as give the gaming media something tangible to look at. 

Fantastic as the community trailers are, they are all outdated to a greater or lesser extent due to the pace of development. If I want to show the game off to my friends, digging around the wormhole of YouTube to find a fan-made trailer is just a bit arduous and begs the question "why isn't there an official trailer for this?".

Given the size and theme of Bodenplatte, I don't think that fan-made trailers (again, great as many of them are) will cut it in terms of impact and exposure in the media. 

5 hours ago, Willy__ said:

Fan made:

YES!!! Best frigging trailer made for the sim thus far! But also one featuring the new stuff from career mode to visual upgrades would be amazing! (and all the new shiny aircraft as well ofc)

Edited by E4GLEyE

Yeah I think they should do something special like a trailer to show off the latest updates and the 262 when it's ready.

4 minutes ago, Danziger said:

Yeah I think they should do something special like a trailer to show off the latest updates and the 262 when it's ready.

Whats all the fuss about 262, its a poo-on-a-stick, very fast poo, but poo never the less.

Now, P-47 and P-51 and P-38, those are erection inducing planes.  

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Cpt_Siddy said:

Whats all the fuss about 262, its a poo-on-a-stick, very fast poo, but poo never the less.

More about the milestone of the first jet in the new IL*2 series. Like a showcase of how far it has come since 2013.

Just now, Danziger said:

More about the milestone of the first jet in the new IL*2 series. Like a showcase of how far it has come since 2013.

Modelling jets is considerably easier than modelling piston engines. Despite jet engines being more "advanced", operationally, they are far far simpler than high end piston engines. 

This translate in far easier modelling, as you dont have to model all the support systems piston engine has. 

The Jumo engine that 262 had was cheaper to mass produce than any fighter piston engine in production at the time, but the development ofc was far more difficult. 

58 minutes ago, Cpt_Siddy said:

Tell that to Captain Don Bryan of the 352nd, who never witnessed a 262 fly through a bomber box without taking down at least 2 bombers. Heard it right from his lips during a phone interview.

With ya on the Jug, Mustang, 38.

7 hours ago, ShamrockOneFive said:

Thanks Ribbon. I do appreciate feedback both positive and negative! I have to make two comments.

I will do more cockpit views when I get TrackIR. Until then... the view in my cockpit is a not a pleasant one for people watching a trailer with me using the hatstick. I could just not use any motion during the in cockpit shots but those tend to lack the movement that you need in a trailer to hold interest.

Second, WWII era music means different things to different people, but I've had feedback that I should use era music and the popular style was a lot of swing jazz. It doesn't really match up. So the next thing that people think is era music is basically the soundtracks to Saving Private Ryan and Band of Brothers. That's harder music to edit to but it's also a copyrights issue. I like using Really Slow Motion most of the time because they allow content creators to use their music (plus monetization) onYouTube with appropriate link backs which I do.

Appreciate the thoughts about sights and editing too. When I set out to create something for Kuban I did want it to be a little bit of everything. Bombers, fighters, attack planes, and also I wanted the Kuban map to be a star player because it really is something amazing. Inevitably I'll do something for Bodenplatte and there I'll probably make my first airplane shot a Mustang or something like that so people know what this title is all about :)

Very nicely done Shamrockfive. especially the fact you didn't use too much post editing effects (at all even?) showing only the raw in game graphics is a plus.
And the music goes perfectly with the rest, especially if it's IP personnal use free and royalty Free 🤣 what's hard to find nowdays. there is some free epic music but rather hard to find.
Really Slow Music makes really great "songs" 👍

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Gambit21 said:

Tell that to Captain Don Bryan of the 352nd, who never witnessed a 262 fly through a bomber box without taking down at least 2 bombers. Heard it right from his lips during a phone interview.

Still, a poo in a loo.  Now Mig and Sabre...

31 minutes ago, Cpt_Siddy said:

Still, a poo in a loo.  Now Mig and Sabre...

You can play that game all day with aircraft from different wars. MiG is a PoS compared to the F-15. Se5a sucked compared to a the Su39.

• Haha 1

Maybe it's just me, but I'm tired of those trailers that show extreme excitement, graphics, drama and strong music, when the actual gameplay proves to be far from the trailers...

What we need, is some actual gameplay showing that this sim is not just for those pro pilots who have flown thousands of hours, flying in disciplined squads and such but you can have fun too. Good example is the professional sim tubers, they have sadly quite mediocre reach. Then you have something like Bohica and Bismarck videos, those attract 100-300k views easily and people are asking for more. In my opinion, these fun vids create customers and profit.

That said, I'm probably on TAW KOS list now, should i ever enter it :crazy:

4 hours ago, Horna said:

Maybe it's just me, but I'm tired of those trailers that show extreme excitement, graphics, drama and strong music, when the actual gameplay proves to be far from the trailers...

What we need, is some actual gameplay showing that this sim is not just for those pro pilots who have flown thousands of hours, flying in disciplined squads and such but you can have fun too. Good example is the professional sim tubers, they have sadly quite mediocre reach. Then you have something like Bohica and Bismarck videos, those attract 100-300k views easily and people are asking for more. In my opinion, these fun vids create customers and profit.

That said, I'm probably on TAW KOS list now, should i ever enter it :crazy:

We've got that happening in spades. Bismarck, DeSheriff, Gridiron, Frog, Renzic, Vade, Robin Takolander, sometimes MagzTV and Bo Time Gaming, and the list goes on :). IL-2: Great Battles is reasonably well represented there and growing.

Shammy knows a thing or two about great trailers that represent actual game play...don't you Shammy? :biggrin:

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Gambit21 said:

Shammy knows a thing or two about great trailers that represent actual game play...don't you Shammy? :biggrin:

One or two 😄

On the way to work dreaming of a trailer set to a Ramstien song. Shame I do not know the first thing about editing.

1 hour ago, AeroAce said:

On the way to work dreaming of a trailer set to a Ramstien song. Shame I do not know the first thing about editing.

"Ich Will" No idea what they are singing about, but it's a catchy tune lol.

1 hour ago, AeroAce said:

Moscow?

You should do it! Photoshop Till as a Heinkel pilot trying to get to Moscow. The rest of the guys can be the crew. Well I guess Richard would have to be a 109 jockey...

Edited by Danziger

1 hour ago, =FEW=Herne said:

"Ich Will" No idea what they are singing about, but it's a catchy tune lol.

It has to be "fire fire"!!!