dburne

New build upcoming - some questions

20 hours ago, dburne said:

Prime 95 does not play well with the newer processors, I would not suggest it.

Can you elaborate?

23 minutes ago, ZachariasX said:

Can you elaborate?

Can't elaborate too much,  Prime 95 cranks the cpu temps way up into the 90's or more depending on one's cooling.

Not really sure why,  I tried it first and was like holy cow and immediately stopped it - then I asked about it over on the EVGA forums and they stated it was an issue running it on these new CPU's and boards.

They recommended the two stress programs I mentioned. Those ran great for me with core temps not exceeding 70c at 100% cpu utilization along with memory stressing together. Might be more of a bios issue with the boards also who knows. 

I have not really looked too much into it yet.

Edited by dburne

9 hours ago, dburne said:

Can't elaborate too much,  Prime 95 cranks the cpu temps way up into the 90's or more depending on one's cooling.

Not really sure why,  I tried it first and was like holy cow and immediately stopped it - then I asked about it over on the EVGA forums and they stated it was an issue running it on these new CPU's and boards.

They recommended the two stress programs I mentioned. Those ran great for me with core temps not exceeding 70c at 100% cpu utilization along with memory stressing together. Might be more of a bios issue with the boards also who knows. 

I have not really looked too much into it yet.

Yes, Prime95 is really hard on the CPU. I still use it though, as when a CPU runs some hours with that, it can take about any load without issues. But as you say I also remain considerably (100 - 200 MHz) below of what I can get with other tests.

I never really care for the last 5% or so, as for media creation, this is not really relevant. But these tasks are often brutal on the CPU, so I rather be safe than sorry. I can crank my 7900X to 4.8GHz and run most benchmarks. BoX runs up to 5 GHz. But as soon as you start for instance Handbrake at these clocks, it doesn‘t take long for things to come to an end. 

It really is getting a problem with many cores, as there is a point of diminishing return where all those worker threads load the main fibre thread, and at some point the worker threads are just queued by the main thread. In BoX this seems to happen sooner (you max out the main core befor worker threads can max out other cores), in P3D later, as you can max 10c/20t. But even there, turning off HT is often the way to go, as it keeps temps lower, allowing higher clocks on all cores (and most importantly higher clock on the core running the main thread). The loss of the 10 virtual cores is lower than the gain through added clocks to the core running the fibre thread. Ideally, we had one core running at 6+ GHz with the main thread exclusively assigned to it and 20 other cores running at half that. You could scale performance way better over many cores. If you have 200 Watts thermal budget, it would be better to run one core at 50 Watts and 15 cores running at 10 Watts than pushing all cores to 12.5 Watts.

19 minutes ago, ZachariasX said:

Ideally, we had one core running at 6+ GHz

Yeah, dream on.

Finally got IL-2 set up and Steam VR installed yesterday evening.
Ran a quick 8 versus 8 mission ( Spits versus He 111's and JU 87's).
New PC still at stock settings as I have not begun to overclock yet.
Initial impression is I think I am going to be pretty happy.

:good:

My 2080 Ti appears to also be running a little cooler in this new case so maintaining a little better boost clock.
Won't have time for more in depth gameplay till sometime next week.

Flew my first PWCG mission in new campaign.

Flying the Spit over Kuban.

CPU still at stock settings.

:good:

Performance was very good. All smooth as could be. FPS measured with ASW off.

Sitting on the runway behind three other Spits  preparing to take of, fps was in the low to mid 80's.

Quickly rose to 90 fps when airborne. Vast majority of this mission FPS was between 80-90 fps ,and at 90 a good bit of the time.  Occasional dips in 70's, like when our flight of four came upon a flight of four JU87's and we engaged. Another flight of four showed up as well in addition to the first flight.  This was also at low altitude. Once I had a Ju87 engaged out away from the others was pegged at 90 fps even down low.

Landing fps was pegged at 90 fps. I never saw a 45 fps number or even close during the entire mission.

While certainly it will not maintain a constant 90 fps at all times, it ain't too far off. And this with graphics set pretty high and SS set to 1.50 in OTT.

And even with ASW off it was very smooth and no visible stutter to my eyes at all.

Highest temp a single CPU core got was 60c during the mission. CPU kept the GPU pegged at max clock speed with no problem, no dips in GPU speed from any bottlenecking.

Still trying to read up and get my arms wrapped around overclocking these newer boards and processors, hope to start that process here very soon.

Even at stock settings though it is pretty darn stout.

Big step up for me from my 4820k at 4.50 GHz.

Edited by dburne
  • Like 2

Ok so spent a good part of the day working on overclocking this puppy.

I have settled on at least for now:

5.1 GHz on all 8 cores/16 threads.

1.23 Vcore

AVX 0

Flew three missions in my PWCG Campaign, performance in VR for me was outstanding. 85-90 fps pretty much all the time during those missions.

Huge improvement over my previous system, very pleased.

• Like 3

That's great. I know you're glad the ordeal is finally done. Very impressive numbers and performance.

My i7 8086K is content and cool at 5.0 but the motherboard complains and I get an aroma of warm electrical components in the air. Seems you need a Z390 and not the ASRock Killer Z370 I currently have. So, I decided to hop on the waiting list for the Z390 Dark motherboard you have. I don't see anything more suited to what we are doing.

Thanks for walking us through the process with you. It's helped me and I'm sure others evaluate our systems and possible upgrades.

1 hour ago, Gordon200 said:

That's great. I know you're glad the ordeal is finally done. Very impressive numbers and performance.

My i7 8086K is content and cool at 5.0 but the motherboard complains and I get an aroma of warm electrical components in the air. Seems you need a Z390 and not the ASRock Killer Z370 I currently have. So, I decided to hop on the waiting list for the Z390 Dark motherboard you have. I don't see anything more suited to what we are doing.

Thanks for walking us through the process with you. It's helped me and I'm sure others evaluate our systems and possible upgrades.

You are most welcome, hope it helps and holler anytime.

Man your results makes me want to accelerate my upgrade plans! My rig is good but even at the 4.6 overclock the i7 3820 struggles some when I crank up pwcg activity. 

So if you don’t mind my asking, about how much did that beast set you back? 

Edited by TheSNAFU

7 hours ago, TheSNAFU said:

Man your results makes me want to accelerate my upgrade plans! My rig is good but even at the 4.6 overclock the i7 3820 struggles some when I crank up pwcg activity. 

So if you don’t mind my asking, about how much did that beast set you back? 

Yeah I was running an i7 4820k at 4.50 Ghz with my 2080 Ti FTW3 before, and this new rig with the same vid card certainly spanks it.

Honestly I am afraid to add it all up. I bought all the parts over about a three month period to lessen the blow a little lol. Since I went all new on everything even down to the UPS unit it was certainly expensive.

Main reason I did it was for all my VR gaming, unfortunately a side effect of going VR a couple of years ago has had on me :wacko:.

On 1/26/2019 at 3:46 PM, Gordon200 said:

For what it's worth, I have an 8086K @ 5.0 in an MSI Z370 SLI Plus and it's doing fine. I picked the board based on it having decent power delivery to the CPU, with 10-phase power:

https://www.bit-tech.net/reviews/msi-z370-sli-plus-review/1/

27 minutes ago, Alonzo said:

For what it's worth, I have an 8086K @ 5.0 in an MSI Z370 SLI Plus and it's doing fine. I picked the board based on it having decent power delivery to the CPU, with 10-phase power:

https://www.bit-tech.net/reviews/msi-z370-sli-plus-review/1/

It may have been my imagination or simply the first time the mobo had been stressed that I detected an odor. Can't gripe about the performance I'm getting out of this combination.

Sure beats what I started out with a few years ago. I remember when coal fired processors were all the rage.

d0f890477e9a0406cff7b958410f4b7dfaa0d004f7219958885db73f66d35f7c.gif

That's supposed to be a gif.

Edited by Gordon200

lol. Yep today’s cutting edge is tomorrow’s boat anchor! That coal burning cpu must have made your space a bit smokey huh. 

• Upvote 1

On 1/26/2019 at 10:43 PM, dburne said:

I have settled on at least for now:

5.1 GHz on all 8 cores/16 threads.

1.23 Vcore

AVX 0

Congrats!  this is a nice OC achievement for all 8 cores. And a very low voltage!

Thank you for sharing your results

You have now a solid system for the new VR devices and potential engine optimizations...

50 minutes ago, chiliwili69 said:

Congrats!  this is a nice OC achievement for all 8 cores. And a very low voltage!

Thank you for sharing your results

You have now a solid system for the new VR devices and potential engine optimizations...

Thanks!

I ended up disabling HT to lower my core temps some ( around 6-8 degrees C). Performance still the same.

Am now 18 missions in to a new PWCG campaign and loving it.