dburne

New build upcoming - some questions

52 minutes ago, dburne said:

Thanks much - I have pulled the trigger on the 1TB Samsung  970 Evo m.2 Nvme.

Good decision. I'd much rather go for more storage than just plain speed if what you are doing is gaming.

I have both Evo and Pro. Where you notice the differenve is when shifting/writing/reading large files like in video editing. For gaming, i don't see any difference between the SSD whatsoever. The improtant thing with SSD is not fill them more than, say ~80%. From then on, most SSD really drop in performance.

15 minutes ago, ZachariasX said:

Good decision. I'd much rather go for more storage than just plain speed if what you are doing is gaming.

I have both Evo and Pro. Where you notice the differenve is when shifting/writing/reading large files like in video editing. For gaming, i don't see any difference between the SSD whatsoever. The improtant thing with SSD is not fill them more than, say ~80%. From then on, most SSD really drop in performance.

Yeah so now I have the following as far as drives for my new build:

1TB Samsung 970 Pro m.2 Nvme

1TB Samsung 970 Evo m.2 Nvme

1TB Samsung 860 Evo SATA SSD

Windows 10 will go on the 970 Pro.

Figure that will hopefully do me for a while.

15 minutes ago, dburne said:

Yeah so now I have the following as far as drives for my new build:

1TB Samsung 970 Pro m.2 Nvme

1TB Samsung 970 Evo m.2 Nvme

1TB Samsung 860 Evo SATA SSD

Windows 10 will go on the 970 Pro.

Figure that will hopefully do me for a while.

Since the drives are all different, that is also what I would do too. 

But I would also always check the possibility of getting similar storage devices. That way it is the most efficient way to stripe them RAID0. Internally, they are striped anyway and for the purpose of games I don‘t mind the risk. SSD are most efficient when pooled, unlike spinning disks (depending on workload).

Woohoo, finally got shipping notification on my i9 9900k I have had on pre-order with Amazon.

Scheduled to arrive on Friday!

EVGA DG87 case is arriving tomorrow.

Now the waiting for the EVGA Z390 Dark MB.

She's starting to come together.

Edited by dburne

And another piece of the puzzle has arrived finally.

i9 9900k ( had on pre-order a while).

QUSQDd4.jpg

• Like 1

Hey gang, I am down to picking out my Ram at this point. 

My new rig will be put on the upcoming EVGA Z390 Dark Motherboard. It has support for up to 4600+ MHz DDR4 ram.

I will be getting two sticks at 16 GB each for 32 GB of ram in this new build.

As most probably know I do all my gaming in VR. Whilst IL-2 is my main game, it is not the only one as I have several other games I enjoy also from time to time.

Now with the prices and limited availability on sizes of DDR4 4600 ram, I will not be going with that at this time at least.

So I am looking at maybe 3200, or 3600, or maybe even 3000 ( with lower latency) if that might be better.

I have been a big fan of Corsair memory for many years, never had a single issue, so would like to stick with it. Should I look at the 3600 Mhz ram which has a little higher latency, or better to get a little slower ram with lower latency?

Any thoughts would be much appreciated! With the exception of the Dark MB which is not yet released, this will be the last "major" component I will need to get for this new build. 

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Edit: Also looking at G Skill Trident and Ripjaws now.

Edited by dburne

11 hours ago, dburne said:

Now with the prices and limited availability on sizes of DDR4 4600 ram, I will not be going with that at this time at least.

Great decision. Diminishing returns really kick in with ultra-high-end RAM.

I have been a big fan of Corsair memory for many years, never had a single issue, so would like to stick with it.

Don't pay too much attention to brands unless there's some particular service or feature that you need. All the memory chips come from the same few semiconductor suppliers. 

Should I look at the 3600 Mhz ram which has a little higher latency, or better to get a little slower ram with lower latency?

Since the latency values are given in clock cycles, actual latency depends on the clock speed. Therefore, you should divide the CAS latency by the "speed" to compare a number that's proportional to the actual latency. 

Sometimes, prices go up with "speed", as that's the only number that most people look at. Therefore, it can make sense to get slower RAM that has lower CAS latency and get equal performance.

Edited by Mitthrawnuruodo
fixed typo

8 minutes ago, Mitthrawnuruodo said:

Great decision. Diminishing returns really kick in with ultra-high-end RAM.

Don't pay to much attention to brands unless there's some particular service or feature that you need. All the memory chips come from the same few semiconductor suppliers. 

Since the latency values are given in clock cycles, actual latency depends on the clock speed. Therefore, you should divide the CAS latency by the "speed" to compare a number that's proportional to the actual latency. 

Sometimes, prices go up with "speed", as that's the only number that most people look at. Therefore, it can make sense to get slower RAM that has lower CAS latency and get equal performance.

Thanks, much appreciated!

On 11/17/2018 at 9:34 AM, dburne said:

Thanks, much appreciated!

You can use this to calculate actual latency:

https://notkyon.moe/ram-latency.htm

I think most of the best stuff I've seen is either 3200-CL14 or 3600-CL16. If you can get 3600-CL15 for example that's pretty good. Also bear in mind that a kit will probably be overclockable above its rated speed. My 3200-CL16 kit is happily running at 3466, for example.

Hello pilots,

I´d like to hear your opinions in my case - I´m currently thinking about buying new monitor (curved VA preferable), which will be followed by new GPU.
To utilize some of the synchronization tech (Freesync or G-sync) would be great, as my PC in IL-2 will be propably held back by my i5 4690 3.9Ghz (but I´d like to keep most of my rig as it is).

I´m usualy fan of nVidia, problem is, there isn´t much affordable G-sync monitors, so I´m thinking about AMD Vega 56.

Here on forum it seems most people have nVidia cards, how does IL-2 work witr nowadays AMD cards?
Does someone have an experience with both platforms and can compare?

Is the Freesync worth it, or should I go for whole new rig (last resort) with Geforce? As I have seen, on high FPS rates (over 100-120) tearing is becoming almost unnoticeable, so maybe with powerful PC is no synchronization needed.

3 hours ago, STIFFMAN said:

Is the Freesync worth it, or should I go for whole new rig (last resort) with Geforce? 

It really depends on the resolution of the monitor. Close to 4K, even the strongest cards will be pushed to their limits. You’ll want the best graphics card you can get as well as adaptive sync technology. At more moderate resolutions, e.g., 2560x1440, the game isn’t all that difficult to run. There, a snooth experience with vsync and 60 fps will be achievable with something like a Vega 56.

To utilize some of the synchronization tech (Freesync or G-sync) would be great, as my PC in IL-2 will be propably held back by my i5 4690 3.9Ghz (but I´d like to keep most of my rig as it is).

Yes, you will be CPU-bound at times, but it’s far from catastrophic. The 4690 is still an adequate CPU for monitor use.

Here on forum it seems most people have nVidia cards, how does IL-2 work witr nowadays AMD cards?
Does someone have an experience with both platforms and can compare?

It works just fine. The only problem is that AMD does not offer any cards that compete with high-end Nvidia models. However, that doesn’t mean that AMD cards are poor choices at their price points.

OK so I have about decided on the following for my ram in this new build:

G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3200 (PC4 25600) Desktop Memory Model F4-3200C14D-32GTZR

Mainly because I think VR likes lower latency of CL14...

Any thoughts before I pull the trigger ?

Well I think I have most of the components for this new build.

All I am waiting on now is the new EVGA Z390 Dark MB to be released.

Latest update I saw was probably at CES which is in January. This is the board I want though so I am just going to have to be patient.

My current parts I have gathered for the new build:

Intel i9 9900k 

Corsair H150i Pro Closed Loop Cooler.

32 GB (2x16) G Skill DDR4 3200 MHz CL14.

Samsung 970 Pro m.2 Nvme 1TB.

Samsung 970 Evo m.2 Nvme 1 TB.

Samsung 860 Evo SATA SSD 1 TB.

EVGA SuperNova 1000w Titanium Modular PS.

EVGA DG87 Case

EVGA RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra ( already running in current build).

6 ea 140 MM Corsair Mag Fans

Thinking about adding the EVGA Hybrid Kit when they become available for the 2080 Ti . Would install it when I put it in the new build.

So hopefully here in about 5-6 weeks I can get this puppy up and running. I sure wish they would release that Dark MB sooner.

I would not wait that long for a motherboard, when I already bought all the other parts.

1 hour ago, Seb71 said:

I would not wait that long for a motherboard, when I already bought all the other parts.

Yeah it is tough, but that is really the one that I want. I like to keep a build for around 5 years, so in the grand scheme of things to get the one I really want

I am willing to wait for it. 

At least for now...

;)

I‘d definitely wait for the right mainboard for a high end CPU. Especially since most software licenses are dongled to it, exchanging it afterwards can be a hassle.

Finally!

The EVGA Z390 Dark board was just released and I have grabbed one. Final component I needed and have been waiting on for weeks now  for my new build

to be completed. All other parts stacked up here waiting.

Shipping ground from CA, so may be a week or so to get here but as I have waited this long that is ok. 

Congratulations, Don!

I've just finished the Firestorm OC scan test on my Zotac RTX 2080ti AMP. Man, that thing is loud with all the fans running 100%.

That was the last item of my i7 8086K pc build. Buttkicker Gamer2 for my chair and another shaker for my rudder pedals arrive Thursday and I'm done building for a few years. Just in time for winter.

10 minutes ago, Gordon200 said:

Congratulations, Don!

I've just finished the Firestorm OC scan test on my Zotac RTX 2080ti AMP. Man, that thing is loud with all the fans running 100%.

That was the last item of my i7 8086K pc build. Buttkicker Gamer2 for my chair and another shaker for my rudder pedals arrive Thursday and I'm done building for a few years. Just in time for winter.

:good:

Congrats!!

Hoping this one lasts me as long as my current ( just over 5 years now).

Guys, any real advantages to going with Windows 10 Pro?

I have been running Windows 10 Home and it seems to do everything I would want to do, was planning on just sticking with Home unless there might be a compelling reason for me to upgrade to Pro?

On 1/8/2019 at 7:29 PM, dburne said:

Finally!

The EVGA Z390 Dark board was just released and I have grabbed one. Final component I needed and have been waiting on for weeks now  for my new build

to be completed. All other parts stacked up here waiting.

Shipping ground from CA, so may be a week or so to get here but as I have waited this long that is ok. 

Hey dburne, good to hear that motherboard is finally on it’s way to you. I look forward to hearing how the new rig runs. It should be a screamer!  Good luck. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, dburne said:

Guys, any real advantages to going with Windows 10 Pro?

No difference unless you want to buy the Pro Office Suite (excel, word etc). With Win10 Pro you get a trial of the office suite but still need to buy the add-ons.

If you don't buy office suite it is the same as Home edition. Pro is a marketing term that doesn't live up to its name. As long as you have Win10 64 bit you are good.

There are some differences between Windows 10 Home and Pro editions, but for a gaming PC they don't matter. Not directly, anyway. Things like having more control about when the updates are applied could be of interest even for a gamer. The RAM limit might be also a factor sometime in the future (several years from now).

Ok have just pulled the 2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra from this machine, and put my 1080 Ti FTW3 back in it. ( only reason I have not sold the 1080 Ti yet). No other parts from this machine will go in the new build. 

Z390 Dark MB is out for delivery, scheduled for later this afternoon/early evening. 

If I feel up to it, will start the new build tomorrow am. I have lost a lot of my eyesight since my last build due to stroke, so hoping I can do this ok. Will definitely have to really take my time and be very careful.

Really looking forward to IL-2 in VR on the new rig, along with my other VR games. Began this process of picking and ordering parts over 90 days ago.

Have spent the last three days going over everything and making sure I have good backups of all files I will be needing.

Thanks again to all, for the help offered in this thread!!

• Like 1

It is getting there slow but sure. No where near the speed I used to could do my builds due to a vision discrepancy, so having to really take my time and be extra cautious.

Since this pic of the Dark in the case I have the i9 9900k, Corsair H150i Pro cooler, m.2 Nvme drives , Ram, Sata SSD and other items in. Hopefully will get her finished up today and then fingers crossed.

seWCi2B.jpg

Edited by dburne