PatrickAWlson

Request: Allow configuration of icons.

The request is as it says.  At 55 I need Icons, but I would dearly love to be able to modify them. 

Aircraft and ground targets, for instance, I want only the triangle with no additional information, and a smaller triangle at that.  

I would like to get rid of the HuD instrument panel but keep waypoint markers.

I would like to make WP markers much smaller.

Stuff like that. 

I am not looking for some sort of fancy programatic interface.  Just expose the display/do not display flags and some sizing data in a text config file.

• Like 6
  • Upvote 11

11 minutes ago, PatrickAWlson said:

The request is as it says.  At 55 I need Icons, but I would dearly love to be able to modify them. 

Aircraft and ground targets, for instance, I want only the triangle with no additional information, and a smaller triangle at that.  

Stuff like that. 

I am not looking for some sort of fancy programatic interface.  Just expose the display/do not display flags and some sizing data in a text config file.

You can have no HUD but with waypoint markers, but I haven't found a way to start in this state - I have HUD turned off by default, so I need to press "I" to enable icons/markers without turning the HUD on.

23 minutes ago, PatrickAWlson said:

Stuff like that. 

I am with you on this topic. Would be really nice to have that "officially" integrated in the game.

Until this is done, I found the Icon Mod by PtK quiet helpfull:

@sevenless Appreciate the mod post.  That is a lot of what I want.  I'll give it a try ASAP

1 hour ago, Murleen said:

You can have no HUD but with waypoint markers, but I haven't found a way to start in this state - I have HUD turned off by default, so I need to press "I" to enable icons/markers without turning the HUD on.

So it is press H to turn off HUD and then press I to turn on icons?

2 minutes ago, PatrickAWlson said:

@sevenless Appreciate the mod post.  That is a lot of what I want.  I'll give it a try ASAP

So it is press H to turn off HUD and then press I to turn on icons?

Yep, or set HUD off by default in the game settings, then press I at the start of each mission to turn on icons.

3 hours ago, PatrickAWlson said:

Stuff like that. 

@PatrickAWlson I have been asking for this since day one as there is really nothing between normal and hardcore atm. I feel really strongly about this and feel it would open up a whole new dynamic to the game but I have not seen one Dev comments.

I would like to be able to change size, colour(so that friends and enemies are the same), range that they appear (make this smaller), no arrows, no text/player names/range, icon transparency and also have the icons blocked by the cockpit and disappear when you black out.

In MP some of these thing are actually game breakers in a way such as the seeing the icons when blacked out. Another problem is knowing the player's name as it makes one react differently ie you fight a player based on your experience of the player and don't treat them as equal risk.

I'm obviously not expecting everything that I put in the list but this really needs to tweaked imo to allow people that don't want to go pixel hunting in hardcore but want to have an as close to real experience without going blind straining your eyes. 

Like I said I have been asking for years Pat with not even a comment on this matter from the devs. Maybe you could use your respect and influence in this community to get the devs to have a look. Even a comment from them on this matter would be cool.

Peace out.

Edited by AeroAce

1 hour ago, AeroAce said:

@PatrickAWlson

Another problem is knowing the player's name as it makes one react differently ie you fight a player based on your experience of the player and don't treat them as equal risk. 

on that one server when I see a spit way up high there's a very high chance that it's AeroAce.. 😄

Then the spit gets closer than 1km and the name pops up. Yup. AeroAce. 😄  Evade evade evade dive dive dive.. 😀

• Like 2

You can have Icons without HUD - best thing is you can map a button on your joystick for icons on/off. I do fly in VR an use it all the time, especially for ground targeds. Icons on for spotting them, and then when I know where they are icons off and engage. Works pretty well.

However I'd also like to see sustomizable icons. Color, shape, and information and range as well (say for instance no icons below range x). I also think it is no wizardry to do that, I hope they^ll find some time to do it eventually.

Cheers

I asked for something similar sometime ago.

It is something that would improve the gameplay a lot (specially in VR) and it doens't seem to be that hard to do.

I think the developers should do it. I don't like to use mods.

This has been asked for for years, only to be brushed aside by the purists and ignored by the Devs.

I am using the mod and its great but only as i have to, i do not like the whole mod thing in general but sometimes you have to.

DCS has just implemented such icons and i understand there are very well accepted.

Hate to throw DCS out there but hey,,,

7 hours ago, sevenless said:

I am with you on this topic. Would be really nice to have that "officially" integrated in the game.

Until this is done, I found the Icon Mod by PtK quiet helpfull:

Thanks for that link sevenless. Wasn't aware of that mod!

Also with you Pat (but c'mon, 55 is the new 35 :) ).

Further icons feature requests:

- icons that are obscured by clouds and the players plane.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Albino said:

Further icons feature requests:

- icons that are obscured by clouds and the players plane.

That is how IL-2 1946 works. Icons are blocked by clouds, your own plane, the ground, ect. That way the icons only help in the spotting, and not creating some kind of omniscient radar mode.  Also none of the arrows around the edge of the screen which are somewhat annoying.

I will have to try that icon mod out.

• Thanks 1

Yep, what we need is basically the functionality if good old Il-2 1946.

I too requested it a few times.

FYI it's certainly feasible, lefuneste's Migoto mod can mask out icons when the LOS is blocked, so it wouldn't be a big fuss to implement this feature.

I use Ptk's mods and would like to see similar options in BoX/GB. 

Edited by ST_ami7b5

On 10/11/2018 at 1:44 PM, PatrickAWlson said:

Stuff like that. 

I think you might be able to get close with the gui options ? 

I know you can turn tech chat, and hud instruments off. would a custom difficulty setting allow you to keep the waypoint and target markers ?

Hello

I would also like to see icons in the style of il2 46. Small, discreet and functional.

Maybe IFF was not needed by color (blue and red), just icons in a single color for everyone and the ID would be made by visual recognition like it is done in realistic mode.

My English is not good I hope it was clear enough. ;)

Good flights !

2 hours ago, PatrickAWlson said:

The icon mod works great.  Last thing: can I get the mini map without the rest of the HUD?

I think so Pat, try the I key.

1 hour ago, dburne said:

I think so Pat, try the I key.

H turns off hud and icons.

I gives me icons back, but no map.  I think the map is considered to be part of the HUD.

The reason I want the map outside of the icons is that  after a combat, having blown through ammo and fuel, I really don't want to continue the patrol.  It's a relatively small thing.  I can just flip the hud back on and deal with it when I want the mini map.  I know that O produces the larger map and that combined with straight-level autopilot is another option.

Pat, I think you just have to enable the "Instrument panel" in the difficulty options. That should allow you to display the different map modes with the "M" key. You can still choose to keep the rest of the instrument panel hidden in the interface options.

Edited by yeikov

1 hour ago, yeikov said:

Pat, I think you just have to enable the "Instrument panel" in the difficulty options. That should allow you to display the different map modes with the "M" key. You can still choose to keep the rest of the instrument panel hidden in the interface options.

Yeah I have those assigned to buttons on my HOTAS, can't remember which is which but I know I can get the mini map with no HUD showing.

If it could be done in 1946 as in the rcu file 

example 

((@alias a alias
@a h history
@a s show
@a fr mp_dotrange FRIENDLY COLOR 0.01 DOT 14 RANGE 2.0 TYPE 0.01 ID 0.01 NAME 0.01
@a fo mp_dotrange FOE COLOR 0.01 DOT 14 RANGE 0.01 TYPE 0.01 ID 0.01 NAME 0.01
@a d mp_dotrange default
@a fs fps START SHOW
@a fss fps STOP HIDE
@a us user STAT
@a g f gearup.il2script
@a gg f geardown.il2script
@a ielong mp_dotrange FOE DOT 24 COLOR 2 TYPE 3 NAME .005 ID 4 RANGE .005
@a iflong mp_dotrange FRIENDLY DOT 24 COLOR 2 TYPE 3 NAME .005 ID 4 RANGE .005
@a st mp_dotrange DOT 24 ID 5 COLOR 2 NAME 0.05 TYPE 0.05 RANGE 0.05
@a c mp_dotrange 

1.0 would = 1 k

I wonder why this cant be made into a server setting or a setting that can be used in offline play.

the setting above were often used in the 1946 SOV server, it was a good mix between the hardcore and icon settings. this setting helped populate the server with both experienced and new players.

I liked the fact that I could fly wing on people and know who I was with.

• Upvote 1