Novice-Flyer

Does IL-2 GB need to return to the Eastern Front?

If they won´t be on time with PTO research for that being the next release after BoPl they could squeeze in a Normandy release 4/44-9/44 to fill in the gap. I certainly wouldn´t mind to have 2 connected careers spanning 12 months on the ETO.

Edited by sevenless
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I reckon they will do an end run around WW2 and it will be Korean fighter planes next.   Maybe a few Dubya-Dubya-Too collectors planes to keep people sweet, but that’s my prediction of where they will be heading.  

33 minutes ago, Feathered_IV said:

I reckon they will do an end run around WW2 and it will be Korean fighter planes next.   Maybe a few Dubya-Dubya-Too collectors planes to keep people sweet, but that’s my prediction of where they will be heading.  

I think we´ll know it for sure once BoPl is out of the door. I can´t see them announcing the next setting (PTO or something else) before they haven´t finished the current setting. Might be Q2/2019 before we have certainty about the road ahead.

• Upvote 1

last year they made bobp anouncment in november and kuban was still out 4 months later then that, so maybe we get news what they plan next before this years end.

• Upvote 1

On 10/16/2018 at 5:30 PM, Gambit21 said:

Where is Oleg anyway - dude owes me $50 for that PoS that wouldn’t even load and run.

He's still around, he's a mate on FB though more interested in rifle development than software these days...😀

On 10/19/2018 at 4:15 PM, kendo said:

no

On 10/19/2018 at 4:35 PM, Gambit21 said:

Six pages in and that's still the best answer.

Maybe it is for you Gambit21, but for me, I'd like to see more of the Eastern Front of WW2 covered in this game. As I stated at the beginning " There's much more in the Eastern Front than simply Kuban, Stalingrad, and Moscow."  There's only a few battles that can be covered on the Western Front 44-45, major Pacific battles for the team will likely be Guadalcanal, Okinawa, and possibly Philippines, while the rest like Wake Island, Midway, Marianas, Iwo and Chichi Jima will be minor map projects. But there's a lot in the Eastern Front that still needs to be covered. Personally, I'd really like to see the Finnish Front, Bagration or Hungary, Berlin, and possibly Smolensk.

I hope you find this convincing.

If you don't then ask yourself this question: What WW2 battle(s) will be covered after the Pacific?

On 10/23/2018 at 1:33 PM, 77.CountZero said:

last year they made bobp anouncment in november and kuban was still out 4 months later then that, so maybe we get news what they plan next before this years end.

I don´t think it will happen in 2018. My personal guess is that BoPl might be finalized end Q2/2019 or early Q3/2019, so we might hear about their plans in Q1/2019 earliest.

On 10/16/2018 at 9:30 AM, Gambit21 said:

Where is Oleg anyway - dude owes me $50 for that PoS that wouldn’t even load and run.

Image result for one more crack like that and you're out of here

Edited by Novice-Flyer

On 10/25/2018 at 11:37 PM, Novice-Flyer said:

Maybe it is for you Gambit21, but for me, I'd like to see more of the Eastern Front of WW2 covered in this game. As I stated at the beginning " There's much more in the Eastern Front than simply Kuban, Stalingrad, and Moscow."  There's only a few battles that can be covered on the Western Front 44-45, major Pacific battles for the team will likely be Guadalcanal, Okinawa, and possibly Philippines, while the rest like Wake Island, Midway, Marianas, Iwo and Chichi Jima will be minor map projects. But there's a lot in the Eastern Front that still needs to be covered. Personally, I'd really like to see the Finnish Front, Bagration or Hungary, Berlin, and possibly Smolensk.

I hope you find this convincing.

If you don't then ask yourself this question: What WW2 battle(s) will be covered after the Pacific?

More Eastern front is good, if anything because it was where World War II was truly fought. There's so much to see.

Going to the West and the Pacific is somewhere I do want the series to go, but at some point there is going to have to be a Battle of Britain, Battle of El Alamein, etc. module that overlaps with Blitz - and that's fine.

My dream for IL-2 is a sim that lets me create a pilot and have him go from 1939 to 1945. Covering as many aspects of the war as possible is a must in my eyes.

We are really one more plane set away from having what we need to cover the full timeline of the eastern front (reasonably well - it's not going to be perfect).  If the planes existed then doing more would revolve around maps.

What is next is anybodies guess.  

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Livai said:

Operation Bagration

Sure would be nice and I sure as hell would buy it, but with the german late war planeset finished with BOBP my bet, if we would return to the eastfront at all, would be a 10/44 - 4/45 timeframe and the Vistula-Oder Operation followed by Seelow Heights and Goetterdaemerung in Berlin.

VSS planes could be:

Yak-9

Yak-3

La-7

Tu-2

Il-10

German planes could be:

Me 109 G10

Fw 190 A9/F8

Ta 152 H0/H1

Ju 88 S3

Arado 234

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, sevenless said:

Sure would be nice and I sure as hell would buy it, but with the german late war planeset finished with BOBP my bet, if we would return to the eastfront at all, would be a 10/44 - 4/45 timeframe and the Vistula-Oder Operation followed by Seelow Heights and Goetterdaemerung in Berlin.

VSS planes could be:

Yak-9

Yak-3

La-7

Tu-2

Il-10

German planes could be:

Me 109 G10

Fw 190 A9/F8

Ta 152 H0/H1

Ju 88 S3

Arado 234

In Operation Bagration there are late war planes like the Yak-9T, IL-10, Me-410, Fw-190 A-8. Dornier 217, He-111.......................

BTW Steel Division 2 show them in Operation Bagration

The Fw 190A-8 and F-8 both are already are covered. The A-9 and F-9 would be optionally available.

Yak-9T IIRC weren't that numerous. The "plain vanilla" Yak-9 would be a better choice.

The Yak-3 would be a tough nut to crack anyways. Same with the La-7.

35 minutes ago, Livai said:

In Operation Bagration there are late war planes like the Yak-9T, IL-10, Me-410, Fw-190 A-8. Dornier 217, He-111.......................

BTW Steel Division 2 show them in Operation Bagration

This is a terrible list based on terrible research. Il-10s weren't even in training units by June 1944.

Do 217? Nope, out of service by June 1944. Me 410: maybe a very, very small handful of recon planes, but that's it. 

The best bet for one more Eastern Front expansion would be a 1945 scenario starting with the Vistula-Oder Offensive and ending with the Battle of Berlin. That way, planes like the Il-10 would make sense.

Germany:

Fw 190 A-9 / F-9

Ta 152 H-1

Bf 109 G-10

Ar 234

Hs 129 B-3

USSR:

Yak-9

Yak-3

La-7

Il-10 (or Il-2 with arrow wings)

Tu-2

Edited by LukeFF
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 3

If there is to be a complete WW2 CFS, they need to go back in time after Bodenplatte. 

I really would like some Finnish front airplane. Like Gloster Gladiator , SB 2 , DO 17 Fokker, . All these leftover from German war prices Finnland bought. There is a lot to offer still in the east.

While we are at it, Spanish Civilwar would be great, planes not bigger than this game engine could handle with some sexy Italian 3 engined bombers. No matter what , this sim excel with slow maneuverable planes , meaning PTO will also fit the bill , My wish for PTO was mainly Midway and then Burma, New Guinea , Philippines 

Edited by LuseKofte

2 minutes ago, LuseKofte said:

While we are at it, Spanish Civil War would be great

It would only be great if 1CGS doesn't care about the financial well-being of the game. 

Well I disagree, because that would bring new people in, some people around the world knows that speed is only relative to the opponents speed. Besides , I am fortunate enough to not care for such things, I am not economical responsible for this endeavor anyway, and as far as I know you aint either

30 minutes ago, LukeFF said:

This is a terrible list based on terrible research. Il-10s weren't even in training units by June 1944.

Do 217? Nope, out of service by June 1944. Me 410: maybe a very, very small handful of recon planes, but that's it. 

The best bet for one more Eastern Front expansion would be a 1945 scenario starting with the Vistula-Oder Offensive and ending with the Battle of Berlin. That way, planes like the Il-10 would make sense.

Germany:

Fw 190 A-9 / F-9

Ta 152 H-1

Bf 109 G-10

Ar 234

Hs 129 B-3

USSR:

Yak-9

Yak-3

La-7

Il-10 (or Il-2 with arrow wings)

Tu-2

maybe insted two yaks, have one yak and p-39q to have some new west airplane also

31 minutes ago, Bremspropeller said:

Yak-9T IIRC weren't that numerous. The "plain vanilla" Yak-9 would be a better choice.

The Yak-3 would be a tough nut to crack anyways. Same with the La-7.

~2700 Yak-9T, but only ~500 standard Yak-9. The former would make for an interesting collector aircraft. The standard Yak-9, and the much more numerous Yak-9D, would be rather similar to the Yak-1B anyway - nothing exiting.

Operation Bagration & Seelow(/Berlin) - no thanks. Those aren't good choices for a two-sided flight simulator.
I'm sold on the Asiatic-(Pacific)-Theatre, but if I had to decide for an Eastern Front 1944/45 based scenario, I'd probably go with Iasi (Romania, 1944).

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

This game will never cover the entirety of WW2.  Never.

The devs need to focus on those battles and operations which are most iconic, have the most broad appeal, and which offer the most bang for the developer buck.  Bodenplatte is a step in the right direction in that regard.  You don't see many girls posing on the wings of Brewster Buffalos or Fiat CR.42's.

I've got my little pet planes that I'd love to see developed too, but I know that realistically the devs need to make money; and no amount of gifting on my part will make a niche plane profitable, unless you can attach it to something that a large number of people will recognize.

We're still not that far removed from the days of devs e-begging us to buy content in order to fund further development.  I don't want to return to those days.

Well I think you folks underestimate the developers and their customers. In the first place these guys revitalized a game genre that was deemed dead in the first place. And they did it on a front so-called no one in the living community had any believe in .

So this populistic suggestions does not really appeal to me, and if they are true, soon the glass is empty and this thing dies out anyway. 

11 minutes ago, =27=Davesteu said:

~2700 Yak-9T, but only ~500 standard Yak-9. The former would make for an interesting collector aircraft. The standard Yak-9, and the much more numerous Yak-9D, would be rather similar to the Yak-1B anyway - nothing exiting.

Operation Bagration & Seelow(/Berlin) - no thanks. Those aren't good choices for a two-sided flight simulator.
I'm sold on the Asiatic-(Pacific)-Theatre, but if I had to decide for an Eastern Front 1944/45 based scenario, I'd probably go with Iasi (Romania, 1944).

Yak-9U is best option ( and maybe with modifications for 9UT model included ) as its 1944 airplane and it was made almost 4000 of them before war end from april 44, Yak9T and D and like just 9 is 1943 airplane and would not bring mutch vs late war axis fighters that we already dont have with yak1b or la5fn

Edited by 77.CountZero
  • Upvote 1

On 10/29/2018 at 4:35 PM, FarflungWanderer said:

More Eastern front is good, if anything because it was where World War II was truly fought. 

You serious? I'm sorry for the off topic post but that's just a very misguided statement, it's called a world war afterall, it was fought everywhere. Russia didn't do it all by themselves. I'm not downplaying the significance of the eastern front but to say that it was the focal point of WW2 is false.

As far as going back east I still say no, not at this time and certainly not directly after Bodenplatte.

The only eastern front scenario I'd like to see added is the Siege of Leningrad.

• Upvote 1

Well Eastern front make it easier to make the small maps you find in this game. The customers here say themselves they won't fly for many minutes without action. I guess Italy is a good option at some point. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, LuseKofte said:

Well I disagree, because that would bring new people in, some people around the world knows that speed is only relative to the opponents speed. 

Sorry, but you are nuts if you think the SCW is going to bring in more players. 

• Haha 1

No thank you, no more Eastern front. Most here have had enough of the 'Great Patriotic War' after 3 releases already.

Edited by Bilbo_Baggins

What we really need is a map/expansion that spans many years that way we can get way more play-ability from it and use many of the aircraft we already have.

Some examples:

New Guinea 1942-1945 (would need new aircraft for the pacific but every other pacific expansion plane-set would be usable as well and would fit nicely.

Normandy/ Northern France 1940-44, nearly infinite possibilities for a Northern France map (Battle of France, Battle of Britain, Normandy Invasion, early 43-44 air combat, etc.

On top of that, almost all Western and German aircraft we currently have could be used in the map.

Solomon Islands Similar situation to New Guinea

• Thanks 1

Bagration to Berlin (to pick up a bookitle by Christer Bergström) would make a bad map from the german point of view: Most airplanes are already in game. Thus, as a stand-alone title, there is little incentive to buy it unless you come up with interesting options, such as including additional western allied airplanes (not unrealistic at al) instead of one or two german airplanes.

The only german airplanes making sense are maybe the Ta 152H, the Fw 190A-9/F-9 and the Bf 109G-10 (K-4 already done by Bodenplatte). The western Allies could mount a Spitfire XIV and maybe a Typhoon (for the lack of another fitting map besides Bodenplatte).

Bringing a standalone "collectors" Berlin map reaching from about Lake Schwerin down south to Holzdorf or maybe Halle would certainly be very interesting.

11 hours ago, LukeFF said:

This is a terrible list based on terrible research

Il-10s weren't even in training units by June 1944.

-> BTW not my list and not my research.......what I already said in my post

The upcoming Steel Division 2 cover Operation Bagration so I was looking the trailer and screenshots from the game and tried identify the planes.

Here is my list for Operation Bagration ->

Germany:

• Bf 109G
  • He 177A
  • Ju 87D
  • Hs 129B
  • Fw 190F

VVS:

• Yak-3
  • Yak-7
  • Yak-9, Yak-9T, Yak-9D
  • Tu-2
  • La-5FN
  • P-39Q
  • IL-2

Or we move to Manchuria with Operation August Storm : "Finishing the Japanese Army" in 1945

Edited by Livai

5 hours ago, Legioneod said:

What we really need is a map/expansion that spans many years that way we can get way more play-ability from it and use many of the aircraft we already have.

Some examples:

Normandy/ Northern France 1940-44, nearly infinite possibilities for a Northern France map (Battle of France, Battle of Britain, Normandy Invasion, early 43-44 air combat, etc.

On top of that, almost all Western and German aircraft we currently have could be used in the map.

I especially like that idea. Throw in Typhoon, Mosquito, Marauder, P51B and P47D-Razorback and sell it with a single player careermode as a Normandy 44 addon to BOBP.

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, Livai said:

Germany:

• Bf 109G
  • He 177A
  • Ju 87D
  • Hs 129B
  • Fw 190F

All 109Gs are already modelled (except the G-10, which is not specifically fitting here)

He 177 - you serious?

Ju 87D - well, maybe the D-5 or the G.

Hs 129B - already in game

Fw 190F - except for the F-9 (which is late to the party anyway) already covered with the existing 190Fs

16 minutes ago, sevenless said:

How about some Razorback Jugs and B/C Mustangs?

The Fw 190A-6 and A-7 would be better fitting here.

Maybe throw in a Fw 190G-2 and G-3 to cover III./SKG 10 operations.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, InProgress said:

I would like some expansion where germans are on defense.

Like Moscow, Stalingrad and Kuban you mean?

17 minutes ago, Elem said:

Like Moscow, Stalingrad and Kuban you mean?

What don't you understand in defense? Just because they lost and got pushed back in the end does not make it defense scenario. They are the one attacking moscow, stalingrad. Only Kuban is still more less defence but you get germand trying to attack anyway.

7 minutes ago, InProgress said:

What don't you understand in defense? Just because they lost and got pushed back in the end does not make it defense scenario. They are the one attacking moscow, stalingrad. Only Kuban is still more less defence but you get germand trying to attack anyway.

Technically, the second half of both campaigns are a German defensive effort. Depending on how you classify it, Moscow is an operational-level defence while Stalingrad quickly takes on the nature of a strategic defence in order to save the entirely of Army Group A.

I like the map idea, but am not sure how well it would sell. Kiev or Smolensk (initially maybe in basic form for the city-scapes) can use existing background programming for the missions and have many of the requisite units in existence.

17 hours ago, 77.CountZero said:

Yak-9U is best option ( and maybe with modifications for 9UT model included ) as its 1944 airplane and it was made almost 4000 of them before war end from april 44, Yak9T and D and like just 9 is 1943 airplane and would not bring mutch vs late war axis fighters that we already dont have with yak1b or la5fn

I don't think so. Nothing wrong with the Yak-9U itself, but pretty useless without a scenario. The Yak-9T, while not fitting BoS or BoK itself, entered combat in summer 1943 just west of the Stalingrad map and north of the Kuban map. Not optimal, but way better than a random late-1944 Yak-9U or a second Yak-1B called Yak-9(D).

6 hours ago, Livai said:

Or we move to Manchuria with Operation August Storm : "Finishing the Japanese Army" in 1945

Basically no Japanese aerial opposition and way too big a map.

New Guinea! (or Burma)

Edited by =27=Davesteu