szelljr

szelljr skindeposit (WW 1) ®

Very nice work, even the historically fictionalized all red Fokker DrI never flown by the Red Baron.

Edited by J5_Baeumer

1 hour ago, J5_Baeumer said:

Very nice work, even the historically fictionalized all red Fokker DrI never flown by the Red Baron.

Quoting someone:

The League of WWI Aero Historians' publication Over the Front, printed a fairly comprehensive article on all MvR's aircraft  in Vol 3, No 3, Autumn 1988, by Dan-San Abbott.  It provides information on nearly all the planes MvR flew, from the Albatros D II through Dr I 425/17 in which he died.

Mr. Abbott's conclusion is the MvR flew at least a couple that were all red:  477/17 and 425/17.  Others, like 152/17, carried red on the top wing, the tailplane, the fuselage sides from just ahead of the "Iron Cross" to the tail, the engine cowling, wing struts (both interplane and cabane) and wheel hubs.

Dr I 127/17 was described by MvR himself in his combat report for victories 68 and 76, as having red on the "upper deck, cowling, wheels and tail."

MvR's original triplane, actually F. I 102/17, is believed never to have carried any red at all.

What this means is that you can build lots of triplanes representing the Baron--and they won't all look the same.

I just did a quick research (I'm not really into these discussions). Since part of it comes from Dan-San Abbott, you have to give some credit. All in all, these studies are always inconclusive and even today people argue about Voss' colors. In other words, king of pointless to assume that someone knows the ultimate truth.

Edited by SeaW0lf
  • Like 1

On 10/17/2018 at 8:21 PM, J5_Baeumer said:

https://www.alamy.com/stock-photo-red-baron-fokker-dri-triplane-flown-by-manfred-von-richtofen-in-march-17042044.html

fokker32.jpg

This makes it seem very plausible he indeed flew all red paint. 1st link is not an Abbott provided source lol.

Amazing collection Szelljr. Can't wait to see you get your hands on other templates when available. Still no Spad template which is kinda shocking unless I missed. it.

Edited by Torso
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Torso said:

This makes it seem very plausible he indeed flew all red paint.

Yup, this is another one from the same aircraft. I've seen on The Aerodrome that people weren't sure of the number. It looks like it is the 425/17, not 477/17. 

eMQpMO1.jpg

While previously identified as 477/17, this Dr.l has now been conclusively shown to have been 425/ 17 — one of two 'all-red' triplanes flown by Richthofen, and in which he attained his final two victories (although it was not in these markings at that time). Seen here at Léchelle in late March, it would soon undergo the first of two changes in its form of national insignia. This aircraft was clearly red overall, with the exception of the black and white iron cross markings. [Von Richthofen Flying Circus, by Greg VanWyngarden]

Edited by SeaW0lf

I have downloaded them all, thanks for all the effort. 

A small question to the skinner, did you also made Spad skins? 

On 11/16/2018 at 9:56 PM, Dutch2 said:

I have downloaded them all, thanks for all the effort. 

A small question to the skinner, did you also made Spad skins? 

Hi,not have template for Spad,not relased yet...

Awesome skins! Thank you for making them. 

No disrespect to all the hard work you've put into these posts, with all the images and links and everything, but would it be possible to link to larger collections of the skins, using something like Dropbox?  I am on a slower connection and managing all of these 20mb downloads as single links would take a long time and a lot of babysitting. 

Beautiful works, szelljr !

Here is a photo which was one od many taken for Anthony Fokker's company; showing the application of the Fokker green.
It looks like they used rather raw big paint brushes and just made raw streaks.

Fokker Dr1 Camo Painting.jpg

• Like 1

The holiday is over and the train has left the station big time. Thanks Szeljr. 

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)

Hi Szelljr. Great stuff on the Plafz. Especially like the Ewers one.  Could you possibly do a Camel as well please. A colourful one please😄

Edited by Luger1969

I bought this game because of your skinning prowess and I don't regret it for a second.

Must break you some off when I get back.

Thank you.

• Like 1