Oubaas

Would You Purchase?

Now that we're headed in the "Great Battles" direction, it opens up some possibilities.

How many of you would purchase a new title in the series that included items such as the following?

Focke-Achgelis Fa 223 Drache
Flettner Fl 265
Flettner Fl 282B Kolibri
Flettner Fl 339
Sikorsky R-4B Hoverfly
Sikorsky R-5A
Sikorsky R-6
Kamov A-7bis

Any interest?

What about a crew-able Fletcher-class destroyer or some such?

How about a Zeppelin add-on to go with Flying Circus?

And what are your ideas for IL-2 Great Battles?

I buy it all. I grabbed Tank Crew recently, and I love it! I like this Great Battles thing, with a broader spectrum of ideas for what can be produced. I'm buying all of it.

:salute:

I don’t think I’d feel especially motivated to buy any of those.  Maybe something else?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Oubaas said:

Any interest?

Seriously? You only choose to model those sorts of things if you want to go out of business as quickly as possible. 

• Haha 2
  • Upvote 4

Aw, c'mon! Rescuing downed pilots in a Hoverfly would be fun. We'll need a Burma map.

What about ships or subs? We could recruit all the guys at subsim.com.

All right, the Zeppelin might be a little out there. Then again, the FSX/P3D crowd might go for it. Zeppelins are kind of fun.

What about an eventual expansion into the Korean Conflict, MiG Alley and all that?

Or should it remain focused on WW2?

There's lots of possibilities. You should try Tank Crew. It's great! If they develop enough different areas of activities, I'll only need one military sim.

:salute:

Honestly, no. I have no interest in any of those at all. Not you say it's a bad idea. I'm just not personally interested.

• Upvote 2

Absolutely nothing there seems either doable or enjoyable.

You're wasting your time with such unrealistic wishes.

Helicopters played absolutely no role in ww2, I'm 99% sure nobody would want Zeppelins and ships would be way too complicated to simulate considering there is more than a handful of crewmens even in the smallest of destroyers.

Something like a torpedo boat might be fun tho but the amount of work required would be much better spent in other areas of the game, I'd already be happy with just torpedoes to mount on a bomber.

Edited by =FEW=Hauggy
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 3

37 minutes ago, =FEW=Hauggy said:

Helicopters played absolutely no role in ww2...

Yes they did. Here's some links:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_rotorcraft_used_in_World_War_II

https://olive-drab.com/od_medical_evac_helio_ww2.php

https://www.defensemedianetwork.com/stories/first-helicopter-rescue/

Now as for ships, you wouldn't want to require crew down to the most junior snipe in the bilges. Just key positions, Captain, guns, and so on.

But a PT boat would be fun, too.

So, we missed one. Should this whole thing stay focused on WW2, or would anyone like to see it eventually include something like the Korean Conflict, with F-86s and MiG-15s and so on?

I don't even care what they produce. I'll buy it all. But you have to admit, the possibilities are intriguing.

I hate to admit it, but in the end I generally find myself liking the usual suspects best.  In BoS starting in a 110, moving to a 109 and finally a 190 is great fun.  The oddballs are interesting  for a bit but flying through a campaign I find myself having the most fun in the planes that were really used.

Honestly I'd buy anything from 1C at this point, but I doubt I'd find myself actually using any of those

Anything as obscure and rarely used as a WW2 helicopter is not really worth dealing with in this sim IMHO.

Really, just about any WW2 aircraft produced in numbers below 500 (for the type as a whole, not specific versions) would be an instant “no” from me. I might make exceptions for a few really iconic ones that saw a lot of service like the IAR 80/81 though.

I'd buy them without hesitation - 1C/777 earned this status in my eyes up to now. However, I'd only do so after many other, historically far more important kites made it into the sim.

It's be said before but I'll say it again, I'm amazed that we still haven't see one of these in the series. Over 3000 flew on the eastern front alone. I really hope that at some point, we receive what in my view is an essential aircraft for Great Battles.

S2ia7QJ.jpg  

It would be great to fly a 156 too, but one can dream.

EZ0sd39.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

I'd adore a zepellin. the spotter pod in VR must be very scary.

id also like a "secret weapons of the Luftwaffe" experimental aircraft expansion.

it's unlikely to happen but it's nice imagining it.

I would not buy any of those in the first post... can't generate the interest in the tanks either.... the only things I've seen in this thread I would scoop up tomorrow is the Fw 189, the Hurricane (obviously)... and the 156 Storch.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

6 hours ago, ST_ami7b5 said:

None of them, sry.
But this one anytime :)

Focke_Wulf_Fw189.jpg

Are they growing stuff in there ?

• Haha 7

OP has some interesting and obscure aircraft. I'll fly any aircraft but I have to go with the sentiment here that there are many more less obscure types that we don't have yet that I'd like to see first. I'd love it if 1CGS were able to use their 3rd parties to help backfill some of the aircraft set in some sort of thematic way. There are gaps in the early east front, there are gaps for the late west front, people have been asking for an IL-4.. a Hurricane... an early Ju87 and so on.

• Upvote 1

For me, at the end of the day if it flies, I'm interested. I would want a reason to to chose to fly it though.

Take the Ju 52 for instance, It is included for the LW on TAW server for transport missions. They allow HE-111  and JU 88 in a transport config, because not everyone purchased a JU-52, but also Red's currently have no dedicated transport option.

JU88 Transport is so much faster than the JU52, but on TAW server they give a reason to fly the JU52 by allowing it carry twice the supply.

Which brings up the general idea of plane packs sans maps.  I would be happy to pay for a plane pack that includes a whole bunch of the planes already mentioned in this thread.  Also happy to buy things like the Ju-87B, I-153, Hurricane, etc. individually.  

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, PatrickAWlson said:

Which brings up the general idea of plane packs sans maps.  I would be happy to pay for a plane pack that includes a whole bunch of the planes already mentioned in this thread.  Also happy to buy things like the Ju-87B, I-153, Hurricane, etc. individually.  

There's that team working on the Karelia map. If they can finish that and there were a pack of three or four aircraft that could help fill that out while contributing to other fronts too... I'd love to see that.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Oubaas said:

Yes they did. Here's some links:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_rotorcraft_used_in_World_War_II

https://olive-drab.com/od_medical_evac_helio_ww2.php

https://www.defensemedianetwork.com/stories/first-helicopter-rescue/

Now as for ships, you wouldn't want to require crew down to the most junior snipe in the bilges. Just key positions, Captain, guns, and so on.

But a PT boat would be fun, too.

So, we missed one. Should this whole thing stay focused on WW2, or would anyone like to see it eventually include something like the Korean Conflict, with F-86s and MiG-15s and so on?

I don't even care what they produce. I'll buy it all. But you have to admit, the possibilities are intriguing.

Ok let's just say helis played no major role. These oddballs are barely worth mentionning imo.

Many more historically important aircraft deserve to be in the sim before any of the 8 you listed.  Zeppelins would be flown on the deck as gun ships in broad daylight in multiplayer so I'd rather see other aircraft made for FC instead such as the N24 and Salmson.

Edited by Garven_Dreis

2 hours ago, ShamrockOneFive said:

There's that team working on the Karelia map. If they can finish that and there were a pack of three or four aircraft that could help fill that out while contributing to other fronts too... I'd love to see that.

Do we know anything about timelines and possible new planes for the Karelia map? I mean it is looking really, really promising here:

https://www.ler3.fi/karelia.html

19 minutes ago, sevenless said:

Do we know anything about timelines and possible new planes for the Karelia map? I mean it is looking really, really promising here:

https://www.ler3.fi/karelia.html

No info on timelines and new planes for this map are, at present, just a notion, but that doesn't mean that it can't happen either.

I have been in touch with these folks and they are still working on it.

• Like 1

I have one idea for DLC 

iL-2 Sturmovik Battle of Guadancanal. 

US: 
P-40E 
P-39D
F4F Wildcat 
P-38 (some early version) 
B-25C/D 

Japan: 
A6M2 Zero 
Ki-61 
Ki-45  
Ki-49 
G4M

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, GTursonA523 said:

I have one idea for DLC 

iL-2 Sturmovik Battle of Guadancanal. 

US: 
P-40E 
P-39D
F4F Wildcat 
P-38 (some early version) 
B-25C/D 

Japan: 
A6M2 Zero 
Ki-61 
Ki-45  
Ki-49 
G4M

I don't know where "Guadancanal" is but I can tell you the sim is going to the Pacific normally after Bodenplatte.

The first part should be the Battle of Midway, it was delayed mainly because the research and translation process of various documents concerning Japanese aircrafts is taking a lot more time than usually anticipated (manuals written in older Japanese without any diagrams or illustrations), as far as I know the lack of information about these aircrafts made it impossible to start the project earlier.

If you have a relevant suggestion to make it should got in the Developper Assistance subforum, there is a "Suggestions" category and there is a poll subforum if you want to know what people think without going too far offtopic.

1 hour ago, ShamrockOneFive said:

No info on timelines and new planes for this map are, at present, just a notion, but that doesn't mean that it can't happen either.

I have been in touch with these folks and they are still working on it.

Very good news. Looking forward to flying on that map once they get it done. Flying on that map perhaps with a Hurricane? We´ll see.

Hmm, I'm more interested in a mannable wind sock than these weird helicopters or zeppelins. Destroyers might be fun for few hours. Submarines, I love those. In multiplayer, not so. Unless you enjoy getting old doing nothing but crawl around at 5kts.

Korean War, maybe. After Pacific.

5 hours ago, =FEW=Hauggy said:

Ok let's just say helis played no major role. These oddballs are barely worth mentionning imo.

That could be said about most Luftwaffe planes in 1945 😄 

I Like anything that hoover, but if I was to buy it , it must have a believable FM. I have jet to see how jets perform in this simulator.

To be honest  I use this game for simulated air war, not as a simulator. Great Battles is at its best that way. And that only work if it got any historical truth. 

I would not support any kind of the sort for that reason only. But I learned to be careful about what I never would do, I am curious about some Bobp planes, and I would not be caught alive with that sentence just a few month ago

What I would love to see is a Lancaster bomber, and also B-17. For tank crew a jagdpanther. That's pretty much all I want.

• Upvote 1

I'd love to fly a Brewster, or a Hawk 75, or an I-153 over Finland again, especially modeled to today's levels of accuracy.

Bring it.

A German plane I have always wanted is the HS 123

• Like 2
  • Upvote 5

I really hope they are going to make the next Part of the Series in the Pacific, i would love to fly a Zero 😄 And maybe we will see more iconic planes like the B 17 or C-47 😄

5 hours ago, Surrexen said:

What I would love to see is a Lancaster bomber, and also B-17. For tank crew a jagdpanther. That's pretty much all I want.

I'm with you.  I'd much rather see a pair of 4-engine bombers than have the devs waste all that time on implementing helicopter physics into their FM. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, 6./ZG26_Custard said:

EZ0sd39.jpg

Why are the wheels so tinny?

8 hours ago, BlitzPig_EL said:

I'd love to fly a Brewster, or a Hawk 75, or an I-153 over Finland again, especially modeled to today's levels of accuracy.

Bring it.

A German plane I have always wanted is the HS 123

Yes please!!

Image result for Hs-123

Very nice for the eastern front, and it was somewhat relevant even in 1943 during Kuban. 

If the Po-2 is a succes, it wonder what they will do next as a Axis "counterpart". The Fi-156 and the Fw-189 are both mentioned a lot, but it think the latter might be to complex?..

Ontopic: I agree with Finkeren and the rest. The plane can be an underdog, but it should be relevant to frontline service. Like the Ju-52 and the Po-2.

Grt M 

2 hours ago, AeroAce said:

Why are the wheels so tinny?

The aircraft can land on a proverbial postage stamp and the landing gear has very large shocks, combine that with a low airspeed and less drag from smaller wheels, the tinny wheels worked fine. That, or they had a couple of wheel barrows going spare when they built it.;)

AJvp7jy.jpg