Sign in to follow this  
AB1CamelJock

So how good is this?

I'm sure some of you remember me from both RB3D and Rof days.  I'm wondering if I should buy this and start the AB1 back up.  How much graphics power does it need?  I have an old but very oced gtx980Ti card that beats up on gtx1070s quite nicely.  Does trackir work on it?

It's a lot better than it was back when the game started out.  I passed it by for reasons back in 2013-2015, and they have solved those reasons.

One thing to be aware, if you use a MSFFB2 stick and TIR, the view will stutter unless you adopt these settings.  For me, with Opentrack, I use Smoothness at 100% instead.

On 8/25/2018 at 1:38 AM, [DBS]TH0R said:

+1 who would like to see this fixed.

For a brief period I used MSFFB2 a while a go, and initially the game was unplayable since I use low smoothness in the camera settings. Since then I've re-done my TiR settings. Increasing smoothness or filtering makes for an easier viewing and also helps with spotting targets I've found.

Camera_Smoothness.jpg

• Like 1

Your GTX 980 will be more than enough. I run this series on Ultra with a few graphical tweaks for performance on my GTX 960 (2GB) and I get 40-60fps most of the time. I am looking to upgrade but what I have is more than sufficient.

Read my in-dept review for Battle of Kuban which is kind of like a review of the state of the series. It's now several months old and there have been changes since then but most of it still applies: https://stormbirds.blog/2018/04/11/il-2-battle-of-kuban-in-depth-review/

The biggest thing happening in the series now is the expansion into three new areas. This third gen IL-2 has been focused on the Eastern Front for the last three releases, however, the developers are now focused on three new content areas. IL-2: Battle of Bodenplatte is a Western Front focused 1944/1945 title, Flying Circus Vol 1 is an April 1918 World War I focused title, and Tank Crew - Clash at Prokhorovka is a Eastern Front tank sim title. Yes you read that last one right... a tank sim inside a flight sim.

"i have an old gtx980ti, is it enough?"  I like you humour :biggrin:.

CPU can be important, too, but i have a feeling it won't be a problem for you.

BTW, if you know RoF, i would say that it's basically an upgraded, WW2 RoF. Others will probably correct me, but that's what it really is. Not a bad thing at all.

This sim ran great in my 970.

I only  upgraded to a 1080 after getting the 4K monitor.

And flying circus is being rolled out now too.  Next plane to be introduced is the Camel...which you may have some attachment too.

It's essential. All of it. If you don't own it, all of it, you're depriving yourself of one of life's good things. You need it. How's that for an endorsement? And I mean every word of it. If you don't have it, get it. Get the tanks, too. Tank Crew is great. It's all great.

:salute:

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I'm running 3x 1080p monitors and TrackIR with a gtx 970 and an overlooked i7-2700k, all settings maxed except shadows to low and AA at 2x, getting 30fps at minimum in multiplayer, for reference. 

I don't have much experience with other WWII sims, just some time with the DCS P-51D and a short stint in War Thunder. That was my gateway - I quickly jumped to IL-2 and never looked back. It is excellent, and keeps getting better as they continue development, in addition to adding new content. 

Edited by Eclipse4349
  • Upvote 1

Once you try it you will never go back.

You will buy new CPU, and new graphics to meet VR demands, You will buy VR headset, then you will buy some special and profi joystick and rudder system. And then you will be missed by your wife, bcs all your time you will still fly and fly. Such is this product. Any other questions??

• Like 1

dude it's insane. wtf. what are you doing with your life

• Like 1

On 10/7/2018 at 4:36 AM, AB1CamelJock said:

Does trackir work on it?

Track Ir is good. VR is awesome !! :)

Edited by =FEW=Herne
  • Like 1

On 10/6/2018 at 10:36 PM, AB1CamelJock said:

I'm sure some of you remember me from both RB3D and Rof days.  I'm wondering if I should buy this and start the AB1 back up.  How much graphics power does it need?  I have an old but very oced gtx980Ti card that beats up on gtx1070s quite nicely.  Does trackir work on it?

You will rock this game with that card.  TrackIR is a dream in IL-2 BoX.

Do yourself a favor and make the investment, especially if you do multiplayer - it's outstanding.

• Like 1

On 10/6/2018 at 11:36 PM, AB1CamelJock said:

Kewl! I totally remember you from Rise of Flight! And yes, I recommend the IL2 Series,  absolutely! I am greatly impressed with the quality of everything in and related to the IL2 Great Battles Series. I already have BOM, BOS , BOK, FC and all of the collector planes, except for for 109 G6 and the HS 129. I will eventually get everything, just a matter of time.

You are a multiplayer guy. So am I. I love playing IL2 multiplayer matches, so much fun. IL2 is one fantastic multiplayer playground. IL2 offers an immersive, beautiful, interesting, highly detailed game World for players. And there are some wonderful well populated multiplayer servers, covering everything from air quake to long running dynamic campaigns. 

Ok, graphics cards and TrackIR. I have a GTX 1050. Your graphics card can eat my card for breakfast. I have absolutely no trouble running IL2 with high settings. I get high frame rates, you should have no trouble running IL2. And TrackIR is totally supported. I would recommend downloading Requiem's TIR Profile. I did so last night, his profile really works great.  :)