Jump to content
Han

Developer Diary 206 - Discussion

Recommended Posts

11 hours ago, Poochnboo said:

I think a lot of people are getting too much into the whole timeline thing, with this sim. Some complain that this or that airplane wasn't used that morning in January of '45, so it shouldn't be in the game. As if we are going to use Bodenplatte to represent one day in history!

 

Huh? It's been made plainly clear the game is covering the timeline from Market Garden to the end of March 1945.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Jade_Monkey said:

 

 Not sure i get it. So we have to pretend it didnt happen?

 

Ideally yes.  That is the idea. Don't mention the war.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Feathered_IV said:

 

Ideally yes.  That is the idea. Don't mention the war.

 

What war?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Feathered_IV said:

Ideally yes.  That is the idea. Don't mention the war.

 

That's a very dangerous idea - never, ever came any good from ignorance; the ignorance of masses, especially.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is there any word or information about when the Bodenplatte map might be available, or some type of general roadmap?  Even +/- some months?

 

Beautiful work as always.  Real craftsmanship on display there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the Developers want us to ruin the city, If you want it in ruins, bomb it. 

 

 

Edited by LuseKofte

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ehret said:

 

That's a very dangerous idea - never, ever came any good from ignorance; the ignorance of masses, especially.

 

Even ignorance of ancient British TV series?

  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Feathered_IV said:

Eindhoven, 1944.  Those craters didn't disappear after twenty seconds.

 

2896171201140746.jpg

Don't worry, we are working on that with a 3d modeler. We have already some test craters which are working. The problem will be that in the future, you can't be sure to land on the same airfield where you take off. 😉

  • Like 4
  • Upvote 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Habu said:

The problem will be that in the future, you can't be sure to land on the same airfield where you take off.

 

If you're talking about collision-modelled craters, this is music to my ears! Runway denial; something for the bomber boys to get to work on :friends:

  • Like 2
  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Ehret said:

 

That's a very dangerous idea - never, ever came any good from ignorance; the ignorance of masses, especially.

 

 

2 hours ago, 7.GShAP/Silas said:

Is there any word or information about when the Bodenplatte map might be available, or some type of general roadmap?  Even +/- some months?

 

Beautiful work as always.  Real craftsmanship on display there.

 

We haven't heard anything close to a release on the map. The one time people were getting excited about it I think it was Black Six who suggested at the time that it would definitely be in the new year but nothing much past that. I'm going to guess its going to be February/March or later.

  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Johnny-Red said:

 

If you're talking about collision-modelled craters, this is music to my ears! Runway denial; something for the bomber boys to get to work on :friends:

 

I don't give a fig about 3D collision-modelled craters.  I'm happy for them to just be painted on, as long as it avoids the toytown putting greens that developers continue to show.

1 hour ago, LuseKofte said:

I think the Developers want us to ruin the city, If you want it in ruins, bomb it. 

 

 

 

Carpet bomb an entire city.   In one mission.  With your P-47?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Johnny-Red said:

 

If you're talking about collision-modelled craters, this is music to my ears! Runway denial; something for the bomber boys to get to work on :friends:

Yes, i'm talking of craters with collision, and which can be spawned or activated after a bomb run.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, ATAG_kiwiflieger said:

Well you started it...

 

Yes you did; you invaded Poland!

 

Hot damn, but that is some good looking update 😎

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Habu said:

Yes, i'm talking of craters with collision, and which can be spawned or activated after a bomb run.

 

I was hoping for them to be specific to individual bomb strikes - could be a real game changer for online play in replacing more contrived mechanisms for closing airfields (like airfield object kill quotas for instance).

 

58 minutes ago, Feathered_IV said:

I don't give a fig about 3D collision-modelled craters.  I'm happy for them to just be painted on, as long as it avoids the toytown putting greens that developers continue to show.

 

I'm OK for figs. 🍈

 

Re: the urban colour palette I quite agree. It's one of the things that detracted from RoF - the beautiful but unrealistic pastel coloured chocolate box town scapes. I think slag heaps were mentioned further up this DD and with coal soot and acid rain. Those things characterised northern Europe's industrial regions for well over a century.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Feathered_IV said:

Eindhoven, 1944.  Those craters didn't disappear after twenty seconds.

All right, look. We already said that we would no longer mention the war! Those were meteor strikes. It's obvious. It looks just like the moon. And there was no war on the moon! (Or was there......hmmmmmmm?).

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/7/2018 at 5:47 AM, Feathered_IV said:

Eindhoven, 1944.  Those craters didn't disappear after twenty seconds.

 

2896171201140746.jpg

 

I think I can thread the needle and manage to take-off on runway 01.

Someone warm up my Messer.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That would be nice.

Then maybe we could also get the NF Mosquito Mk XXX, to reenact the role of 410 squadron 2nd TAF on night fighter ops.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Luftschiff said:

Ha, the fools - No axis pilots actually use the runways!

 

Hahaha so true!

 

It really drives me nuts in MP.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Jade_Monkey said:

 

Hahaha so true!

 

It really drives me nuts in MP.

Nothing makes me angrier in MP than when you taxi and start your takeoff only to be killed by a friendly who didn't taxi.

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Another reason why old style CoOps are superior.

I catch someone doing that when hosting, I'd boot them from the mission immediately and make note of their name.

Problem solved.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Jade_Monkey said:

 

Hahaha so true!

 

It really drives me nuts in MP.

 

Maybe people should start adding in trucks and clutter around the runway to catch those impatient nerds :P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm all for permanent craters that can disable a runway but I'm a little bit worried that it will turn MP into a game of kamakazi bombers racing to the fields to knock them out tibend the round.  We have too much airfield vultching as it is.

 

Any way if handled correctly I guess it will not be as bad as I imagine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Simple solution... put a time limit that the craters are active for. (work parties make the runway good again within set time period)...

This makes it imperative that bombers are found on route, plus standing patrols around the local area to stop runway denial.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, AeroAce said:

I'm all for permanent craters that can disable a runway but I'm a little bit worried that it will turn MP into a game of kamakazi bombers racing to the fields to knock them out tibend the round.  We have too much airfield vultching as it is.

 

Any way if handled correctly I guess it will not be as bad as I imagine.

It's a possibility, but having a defense on the airfield is another one. You can add to some trucks which go and repair the airfield, and again, you have to protect them. We'll see.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, =621=Samikatz said:

 

Maybe people should start adding in trucks and clutter around the runway to catch those impatient nerds :P

Requested it more than once, i dont think anyone at WOL is interested in that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Trooper117 said:

Simple solution... put a time limit that the craters are active for. (work parties make the runway good again within set time period)...

This makes it imperative that bombers are found on route, plus standing patrols around the local area to stop runway denial.

Agreed, would definitely add to the gameplay and give bombers an interesting mission.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bodenplatte is looking awesome. Looking forward to flying the P-38; was my favorite in original IL-2 Pacific. May I ask what other bombers might be added later? Would love to see B-25 Mitchell.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, racketyjack said:

Bodenplatte is looking awesome. Looking forward to flying the P-38; was my favorite in original IL-2 Pacific. May I ask what other bombers might be added later? Would love to see B-25 Mitchell.  

 

B25 is already confirmed as AI plane and A20 will also be in BoPl. Both were used by US and UK forces in the ETO and AFAIK also in the Pacific.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, =621=Samikatz said:

 

Maybe people should start adding in trucks and clutter around the runway to catch those impatient nerds :P

 

4 hours ago, Jade_Monkey said:

Requested it more than once, i dont think anyone at WOL is interested in that.

 

Minefields would be the ideal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/10/2018 at 8:09 PM, Gambit21 said:

Another reason why old style CoOps are superior.

I catch someone doing that when hosting, I'd boot them from the mission immediately and make note of their name.

Problem solved.

 

That must be why so many people are flying on coop servers...  oh...wait...  

Edited by BraveSirRobin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, BraveSirRobin said:

 

That must be why so many people are flying on coop servers...  oh...wait...  

 

I forgot you totally understand what we mean by co ops...oh...wait

I also forgot that you were there..oh...wait

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, sevenless said:

 

B25 is already confirmed as AI plane and A20 will also be in BoPl. Both were used by US and UK forces in the ETO and AFAIK also in the Pacific.

 

The A-20B would have to be updated to the A-20G Havoc to reflect the timeline and AO as the Bravo model was primarily a Soviet Lend Lease export. Only about one-third of them served in the USAAF, they were all eventually either retired or received the Havoc retrofit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×