Han

Developer Diary 206 - Discussion

11 hours ago, Poochnboo said:

I think a lot of people are getting too much into the whole timeline thing, with this sim. Some complain that this or that airplane wasn't used that morning in January of '45, so it shouldn't be in the game. As if we are going to use Bodenplatte to represent one day in history!

Huh? It's been made plainly clear the game is covering the timeline from Market Garden to the end of March 1945.

25 minutes ago, Jade_Monkey said:

Not sure i get it. So we have to pretend it didnt happen?

Ideally yes.  That is the idea. Don't mention the war.

42 minutes ago, Feathered_IV said:

What war?

7 hours ago, Feathered_IV said:

That's a very dangerous idea - never, ever came any good from ignorance; the ignorance of masses, especially.

• Upvote 2

Is there any word or information about when the Bodenplatte map might be available, or some type of general roadmap?  Even +/- some months?

Beautiful work as always.  Real craftsmanship on display there.

I think the Developers want us to ruin the city, If you want it in ruins, bomb it. 

Edited by LuseKofte

1 hour ago, Ehret said:

That's a very dangerous idea - never, ever came any good from ignorance; the ignorance of masses, especially.

Even ignorance of ancient British TV series?

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Feathered_IV said:

Eindhoven, 1944.  Those craters didn't disappear after twenty seconds.

2896171201140746.jpg

Don't worry, we are working on that with a 3d modeler. We have already some test craters which are working. The problem will be that in the future, you can't be sure to land on the same airfield where you take off. 😉

• Like 4
  • Upvote 7

2 minutes ago, Habu said:

The problem will be that in the future, you can't be sure to land on the same airfield where you take off.

If you're talking about collision-modelled craters, this is music to my ears! Runway denial; something for the bomber boys to get to work on :friends:

• Like 2
  • Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Ehret said:

2 hours ago, 7.GShAP/Silas said:

Is there any word or information about when the Bodenplatte map might be available, or some type of general roadmap?  Even +/- some months?

Beautiful work as always.  Real craftsmanship on display there.

We haven't heard anything close to a release on the map. The one time people were getting excited about it I think it was Black Six who suggested at the time that it would definitely be in the new year but nothing much past that. I'm going to guess its going to be February/March or later.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Johnny-Red said:

If you're talking about collision-modelled craters, this is music to my ears! Runway denial; something for the bomber boys to get to work on :friends:

I don't give a fig about 3D collision-modelled craters.  I'm happy for them to just be painted on, as long as it avoids the toytown putting greens that developers continue to show.

1 hour ago, LuseKofte said:

I think the Developers want us to ruin the city, If you want it in ruins, bomb it. 

Carpet bomb an entire city.   In one mission.  With your P-47?

20 minutes ago, Johnny-Red said:

Yes, i'm talking of craters with collision, and which can be spawned or activated after a bomb run.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, ATAG_kiwiflieger said:

Well you started it...

Yes you did; you invaded Poland!

Hot damn, but that is some good looking update 😎

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, Habu said:

Yes, i'm talking of craters with collision, and which can be spawned or activated after a bomb run.

I was hoping for them to be specific to individual bomb strikes - could be a real game changer for online play in replacing more contrived mechanisms for closing airfields (like airfield object kill quotas for instance).

58 minutes ago, Feathered_IV said:

I don't give a fig about 3D collision-modelled craters.  I'm happy for them to just be painted on, as long as it avoids the toytown putting greens that developers continue to show.

I'm OK for figs. 🍈

Re: the urban colour palette I quite agree. It's one of the things that detracted from RoF - the beautiful but unrealistic pastel coloured chocolate box town scapes. I think slag heaps were mentioned further up this DD and with coal soot and acid rain. Those things characterised northern Europe's industrial regions for well over a century.

1 hour ago, Feathered_IV said:

All right, look. We already said that we would no longer mention the war! Those were meteor strikes. It's obvious. It looks just like the moon. And there was no war on the moon! (Or was there......hmmmmmmm?).

• Haha 1

On 10/7/2018 at 5:47 AM, Feathered_IV said:

2896171201140746.jpg

I think I can thread the needle and manage to take-off on runway 01.

Someone warm up my Messer.

• Haha 1

That would be nice.

Then maybe we could also get the NF Mosquito Mk XXX, to reenact the role of 410 squadron 2nd TAF on night fighter ops.

23 hours ago, Luftschiff said:

Ha, the fools - No axis pilots actually use the runways!

Hahaha so true!

It really drives me nuts in MP.

13 minutes ago, Jade_Monkey said:

Hahaha so true!

Nothing makes me angrier in MP than when you taxi and start your takeoff only to be killed by a friendly who didn't taxi.

• Upvote 1

Another reason why old style CoOps are superior.

I catch someone doing that when hosting, I'd boot them from the mission immediately and make note of their name.

Problem solved.

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, Jade_Monkey said:

Hahaha so true!

Maybe people should start adding in trucks and clutter around the runway to catch those impatient nerds :P

I'm all for permanent craters that can disable a runway but I'm a little bit worried that it will turn MP into a game of kamakazi bombers racing to the fields to knock them out tibend the round.  We have too much airfield vultching as it is.

Any way if handled correctly I guess it will not be as bad as I imagine.

Simple solution... put a time limit that the craters are active for. (work parties make the runway good again within set time period)...

This makes it imperative that bombers are found on route, plus standing patrols around the local area to stop runway denial.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, AeroAce said:

I'm all for permanent craters that can disable a runway but I'm a little bit worried that it will turn MP into a game of kamakazi bombers racing to the fields to knock them out tibend the round.  We have too much airfield vultching as it is.

Any way if handled correctly I guess it will not be as bad as I imagine.

It's a possibility, but having a defense on the airfield is another one. You can add to some trucks which go and repair the airfield, and again, you have to protect them. We'll see.

5 hours ago, =621=Samikatz said:

Maybe people should start adding in trucks and clutter around the runway to catch those impatient nerds :P

Requested it more than once, i dont think anyone at WOL is interested in that.

4 hours ago, Trooper117 said:

Simple solution... put a time limit that the craters are active for. (work parties make the runway good again within set time period)...

This makes it imperative that bombers are found on route, plus standing patrols around the local area to stop runway denial.

Agreed, would definitely add to the gameplay and give bombers an interesting mission.

Bodenplatte is looking awesome. Looking forward to flying the P-38; was my favorite in original IL-2 Pacific. May I ask what other bombers might be added later? Would love to see B-25 Mitchell.  

11 minutes ago, racketyjack said:

Bodenplatte is looking awesome. Looking forward to flying the P-38; was my favorite in original IL-2 Pacific. May I ask what other bombers might be added later? Would love to see B-25 Mitchell.  

B25 is already confirmed as AI plane and A20 will also be in BoPl. Both were used by US and UK forces in the ETO and AFAIK also in the Pacific.

10 hours ago, =621=Samikatz said:

4 hours ago, Jade_Monkey said:

Requested it more than once, i dont think anyone at WOL is interested in that.

Minefields would be the ideal.

On 10/10/2018 at 8:09 PM, Gambit21 said:

Another reason why old style CoOps are superior.

I catch someone doing that when hosting, I'd boot them from the mission immediately and make note of their name.

Problem solved.

That must be why so many people are flying on coop servers...  oh...wait...  

Edited by BraveSirRobin

18 minutes ago, BraveSirRobin said:

That must be why so many people are flying on coop servers...  oh...wait...  

I forgot you totally understand what we mean by co ops...oh...wait

I also forgot that you were there..oh...wait

3 hours ago, sevenless said:

B25 is already confirmed as AI plane and A20 will also be in BoPl. Both were used by US and UK forces in the ETO and AFAIK also in the Pacific.

The A-20B would have to be updated to the A-20G Havoc to reflect the timeline and AO as the Bravo model was primarily a Soviet Lend Lease export. Only about one-third of them served in the USAAF, they were all eventually either retired or received the Havoc retrofit.