Sign in to follow this  
Champagne

Enemy Planes Crash for No Apparent Reason

Sometimes enemy planes just take a shallow angle towards the ground and fly right into it. Is the pilot dead? No, because one of them just shot at me before he did it. Maybe the pilot is wounded and can't see the approaching ground? Maybe the aircraft itself has some controls that are damaged and so the plane isn't responding to the control column?

Thoughts?

I've also seen such poor AI conduct.  ☹️

While testing one of my single player missions a AI Ju-87 designated to 'Attack Target' (train) slowly spiraled down and flew into the ground.

I then changed the crafts loadout from the 37 mm cannons to bombs and re-ran the mission. The AI made the proper attack. I'm not sure the loadout actually had anything to do with it though. There doesn't seem to be a reliable rhyme or reason for the non sensical AI behavior. 

In my case, I'm referring to my Fokker Dr. I vs. an enemy SPAD.

I have no knowledge of any of the weapons or planes to which you refer. A 37mm gun on an airplane? This must be impossible. Surely you are joking.

Ha Ha. Just kidding, of course.

But, I'm serious when I say that I am troubled by this behavior. I hope someone can provide an explanation.

I suspect that the AI logic does not always keep up with changes in the FMs.  For instance, I have seen 109s in my career flight do something similar to what you describe on a couple of occasions; when diving to engage a low flying enemy plane they misjudge their pull out and hit the ground. MiG3s do this sometimes too.  Elevator response is one of the things that has been changed in FM revisions, but the AI might not "know" this.

Having said that it is also a fact that actual pilots made this mistake too, so if only happens occasionally it is acceptable.

Even when the enemy SPADs are on Veteran skill level, they still tend to fly right into the ground without slowing up. They take about a 20 degree angle right into the turf. I haven't shot most of them down. They do it on their own.

I see that once in a while as well, both enemy and friendlies. I have also done it a few times as well. 😀

As to what happens, it seems the skill level of the AI limits how much they will pull on the stick in dogfights, so yes it could get itself in a situation where it is not able to pull up in time. However, it does not seem to happen regularly and I see it less often now than in previous patches.

As to the SPAD AI, all AIs in game have an issue piloting "energy" fighters, whether ME-109s or SPADs. However, IMHO, the IL-2 AI seems to do a better job than the RoF AI. The RoF AI would often try to get into a tight turn fight and stall and spin. In FC, I have seen the AI SPAD on higher skill levels extending and climbing away.