Irgendjemand

MW50 - how to question

Hello, i got a simple question since i didnt play for quite a while.
How do i activate MW50 on german planes'?
I mean how is the functionc alled in the settings.
Thanks for the help!

The moment you put full throttle in the G14, the MW50 kicks in. Same will be with Bf 109K4. Only the Fw 190D9 will to turn on the booster button.

thanks a lot! I apprechiiate the help.

Oh one more. The A8 has MW 50 too right?

How to activate there?

Just now, RoflSeal said:

A-8 has no MW50, just an increase boost that engages when at full throttle + boost button engaged

It was c3 injection right?

1 hour ago, Joeasyrida said:

It was c3 injection right?

No, A-5/U-17 mod has C-3 injection. A-8s engine increases boost by tricking the Kommandogerät into believing the ata is lower then 1.42

6 minutes ago, sealgaire said:

How much MW-50 does the G14 carry?

Enough to boost it for 10 Minutes.

5 minutes ago, MeoW.Scharfi said:

And then is it out for the rest of the flight even if you just run at nominal for a while? 

Edit: I just read on wikipedia (not a very well cited article though) they generally carried enough for two 10 minute periods, but they were supposed to wait 5 minutes between applications. Is this how it is in the simulation?

Edited by sealgaire

31 minutes ago, RoflSeal said:

No, A-5/U-17 mod has C-3 injection. A-8s engine increases boost by tricking the Kommandogerät into believing the ata is lower then 1.42

Interesting I never knew that.  

2 minutes ago, MeoW.Scharfi said:

I thought it was 2 10 minute usages with about 5 minutes between or something like that but I could be wrong.

Does anyone have good information on what exactly C3 injection is? I have done some quick googling but I am coming up empty. Sorry about all the questions. I don't generally like asking things I should probably just lookup but at least for C3 and the modelling of MW-50 in the game I am not sure where to look.

18 minutes ago, sealgaire said:

Does anyone have good information on what exactly C3 injection is? I have done some quick googling but I am coming up empty. Sorry about all the questions. I don't generally like asking things I should probably just lookup but at least for C3 and the modelling of MW-50 in the game I am not sure where to look.

I think I've seen a doc on kurfausts website.  Basically it's my understanding that some 190 jabos used it.  By injecting c3 into the supercharger it caused charge cooling (iirc) allowing 1.63ata for 10 minutes under 1km alt.  Our F3 in game can hit about 593kph without the etc501 and no wing bombs at 1.63ata on the deck which was the fastest a/c in game, atleast until the la5fn and bobp planes showed up, maybe it still is.

Edited by Joeasyrida

37 minutes ago, sealgaire said:

And then is it out for the rest of the flight even if you just run at nominal for a while? 

Edit: I just read on wikipedia (not a very well cited article though) they generally carried enough for two 10 minute periods, but they were supposed to wait 5 minutes between applications. Is this how it is in the simulation?

34 minutes ago, Joeasyrida said:

I thought it was 2 10 minute usages with about 5 minutes between or something like that but I could be wrong.

Yes, that is correct. Actually it is even a bit more than 10 Minutes, depended how you have flown before(how often you used combat).

Edited by MeoW.Scharfi

4 hours ago, MeoW.Scharfi said:

As long as the Mw50 has fluid. 10 mins is the continuos time limit but on the tank should be for 30 min. So you can give the engine a break and you can use again the Mw50 for that time.

On the G-14 there is a 115 liter tank in the rear of the fuselage that was filled up to 75 liters of MW (in practice, any amount, sometimes 100 liters - the idea was to keep about 70 kg worth of fluid to maintain the centre of gravity).

Consumption rate of MW was 150 liters / hour (when it was engaged), so the math is easy, its enough for about 30 mins of use.

Bottomline - after 30 mins at max power you have already used up about 280 liters of fuel (plus the amount you used takeoff, climb and cruise) so you are probably at bingo fuel anyway.

On the K-4, the difference is higher MW consumption rate (180 liter/h), and again it is the same tank with 115 liters max capacity.

The main difference was that the K-4 tank was dual purpose, it could be used with 115 liter of avgas (as a rear fuel tank to boost range and endurance) or as a normal MW50 booster tank, filled with about 85 liter of MW (since MW had a higher density, i.e. cc. 0.96 for MW vs 0.76 for fuel). There was valve switch on the port side of the cocpit that allowed to switch between ‘MW mode’ and ‘fuel mode’.

On both aircraft, it was neccesary to enable to MW system first with a switch; if the switch was on, injection of MW booster happened automatically when the throttle exceeded the 100% position (I.e. The 30 min ‘climb and combat’ rating)

I think past 1,3 ata would be correct, as the throttle could not have several settings, but presets for continous, 100% and 110%, with the throttle body connecting rods acting accordingly, opening the throttle to full. I always understood that MW injection starts at above 100%, where the throttle movement closes an electronic circuit, putting the MW tank under air pressure and thus injection begins.

And as I understand, once the engine was set up for 1,7 ata max (Sondernotleistung), the 1,42 ara rating (Startleistung) was no longer available - Unless as a sort of intermediate manifold pressure between 100% and 110%.

I will have to check the sources for the exact parameters, but basically there had to be a margin of safety, i.e. the MW system must had to be already injection before critical pressures would be reached.