No update to the single player campaign?

Maybe it is just me.

But every time there is a new update to the game I read through the complete list of changes and updates.

Now the left flap gives the correct sound when opened during a 4G turn or now the guns are more correctly prone to jamming when firing long bursts etc.

Don't get me wrong these are all great things. It is a simulation a should therefore be as realistic as possible in all detail.

BUT most of all I am still missing a truly dynamic campaign where all my efforts matter somehow.

I am still missing to see my wingmen attacking ground targets when ordered to instead of flying around with a full bomb load and plenty of visible targets everywhere.

I am still missing to be able to tell my wingmen to attack a specific kind of target, like concentrate on the AAA guns or the tanks or the bombers or whatever.

I am still missing to see the ground targets try to hide when they are attacked, especially gun crews.

In the older IL-2 games there were more different aircraft. Some of them you couldn't fly yourself but you could encounter them in the air.

I miss those rare aircraft. It is OK to me if you are not able to fly them all. But I would like to shoot them down :)

It would be so great to see kill markings on your and even the enemy aircraft according to your victories in the air and ground for that matter.

To me the single player campaign is what this is all about.

I still haven't found a multiplayer campaign where your efforts are culminated as you proceed.

Edited by OSRS72
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 5
BornToBattle

Yeah, I brought the kill markings topic up a long time ago. Apparently due to coding and what not, it can’t be done. Would be neat though, especially when doing screenshots and some bragging rights not to mention another degree of immersion. 

Edited by BornToBattle
Jade_Monkey
1 hour ago, OSRS72 said:

I am still missing to see the ground targets try to hide when they are attacked, especially gun crews.

That's definitely in game.

On a related note, you can make AAA stop shooting at you when strafing, if you spray them with MG. They will run away from the gun and you wont get shot at for a while. Then you can use that time to kill the gun without the pressure.

• Like 1
Gambit21
1 hour ago, OSRS72 said:

Maybe it is just me.

BUT most of all I am still missing a truly dynamic campaign where all my efforts matter somehow.

The campaign is not, nor will it ever be "dynamic" this has been discussed ad-nauseam around here already.

• Upvote 2
[N.O.G.F]_Cathal_Brugha
3 hours ago, OSRS72 said:

I am still missing to see my wingmen attacking ground targets when ordered to instead of flying around with a full bomb load and plenty of visible targets everywhere.

I am still missing to be able to tell my wingmen to attack a specific kind of target, like concentrate on the AAA guns or the tanks or the bombers or whatever.

IL-2 1946 had this and more, the radio commands in IL-2 BoX are practically nonexistent by comparison, and what few commands we have your AI squadron seem to never hear. I try to give commands to the rest of my flight and they just continue off on whatever merry outing they are on, and ignore my orders. In IL-2 1946 they actually followed my commands, you could ttell them to attack a specific type of target, including 'your target', ie the target you currently had a padlock on. I was saved many times by the "Help Me!" radio message, which the AI did respond to. This is one reason I consider IL-2 1946 better than IL-2 Box, but I have all Box modules, including FC and Tank Crew, because I like where they are going, and want to support the devs, and hope they will one day bring IL-2 BoX to a higher level.

10 hours ago, OSRS72 said:

It's a career mode, not a dynamic campaign. It's never been advertised as anything else.

Not seeing that in Il-2 careers.

Happens every time with those types of targets.

In the older IL-2 games there were more different aircraft. Some of them you couldn't fly yourself but you could encounter them in the air.

I miss those rare aircraft. It is OK to me if you are not able to fly them all. But I would like to shoot them down :)

All it takes is time and money.

To me the single player campaign is what this is all about.

There are plenty of static campaigns out there that may give you what' you're looking for.

Voidhunger

I stopped doing bombing missions because my wingmans always return with unused bombs. (BF109 kuban career).

Any tips how to persuade ai to drop bombs are appreciated

PatrickAWlson
55 minutes ago, Cunctator said:

I only encountered this problem when being flight leader. If choosing another position everybody attacked just fine.

Can't say the same.  What I often see is that the leader usually drops.  The rest may or may not.  

Part of it is the AI being very careful with its bomb load.  IMHO 90% of the perception could be resolved if the AI dropped its full load in a single pass.  That would leave targets for the next AI plane. 

Second issue is that the AI will not drop if it doesn't see anything interesting.  AAA is apparently uninteresting.  The last AI could drop targets on the smoking wreckage if they can't find anything with the attack area MCU, which is what real pilots probably did.

I also have a suspicion:

Attack Area MCU is activated

AI leader drops bombs.

Bingo bombs command is activated for leader.

Leader stops the attack

AI wing mates prioritize following the leader over attacking.

Having said all of that, we are on a AI discussion again, not a campaign enhancement discussion.  They are very different.

On 10/2/2018 at 8:44 PM, Cunctator said:

I only encountered this problem when being flight leader. If choosing another position everybody attacked just fine.

Yeah I've taken to flying as wingman in Career. The AI behave correctly. More enjoyable. 

• Upvote 1
Gambit21

Yep - I have the player flying wingie in my scripted campaign - solves a lot of problems.

You get told what to do, rather than trying to order the AI around.

My German AI in Kuban were very well trained in dropping their bombs when we were tasked with a ground attack mission and I was flight leader.  On the command of pick your grounds targets, given on approach by the flight leader automatically, the flight would go in and drop their bombs.  Me first, others second.

AI likes to drop from behind the target with their flight path header back to friendly territory. So they will overfly the target and round back on it for the drop.  They will follow you though if needed.  Just be sure to command them to leave if it starts looking hairy and primary objectives are complete.  No point sacrificing them to AA and enemy fighters if they rock up.  Use the fly like me command to pull them out.  At least to get them 10 to 20km over friendly territory and then you can command them to engage fighters if you feel like it.  Least there is less chance of loosing your pilots.

FarflungWanderer

I think aside from the dreaded "AI improvements" that we bandy about on the forums maybe once every 48 hours, the only things that the career mode is missing for me is (and if you know me you'll have heard it before)...

1. More mission variety (but that's already in the pipeline, so I'm expecting it sometime in 2019)

2. More options on campaign length (I'd really like having the option to have squadrons, both mine and AI, have more than two or three flights per day. I don't necessarily have to fly in all of them, but being able to say "hey, I could theoretically fly with my squadron eight times every [in-game] day" like a real pilot during the war would have would make me happy)

3. Better radio/communications (we all know this problem. I could survive with just a "what the hell?! Stay on course" honestly - it's easy to lose track of flight leads. No need to immediately shunt to IL-2 1946 levels right out of the gate)

Edited by FarflungWanderer