Han

Developer Diary 205 - Discussion

14 minutes ago, 307_Banzai said:

With addition of some nice looking russian female pilot for PO-2.

That would add diversity in a much smarter way than what battlefield tried to do ^^

• Haha 1

This looks fantastic!  Was wondering if the already exsisting pilots would be updated to the standard the new ones are!!?   And yes, oxygen masks, thank you!

Beautiful. The camel and pilot looks wow and tankcrew just went onto the Christmas list. Well done chaps.

Oh and btw, the ww1 parchutes are awesome,, and I couldn’t help chuckling seeing the pilot dangling from the harness

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, spartan85 said:

Oh and btw, the ww1 parchutes are awesome,, and I couldn’t help chuckling seeing the pilot dangling from the harness

How will the 'chutes be implemented, though. You can't have every german pilot jumping out of their plane in WW1. It was actually fairly rare because they came around so late in the conflict.

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, Poochnboo said:

How will the 'chutes be implemented, though. You can't have every german pilot jumping out of their plane in WW1. It was actually fairly rare because they came around so late in the conflict.

You are wrong. It was standard equipment for German pilot from summer 1918 (i think) to end of war. Another thing is that chutes were dangerous and heavy. For this resons most of pilots were flying without prachute. 

• Upvote 1

My only slight critism would be that the looking from the rear the wings on the Camel look incredibly thin. It may just be the angle though.

52 minutes ago, Poochnboo said:

They were pretty common by the time the D.VII came around.  I am unaware of them being used in a DRI - maybe towards the very end.  IMHO the best way to model parachute availability is pick a date - after that date the chute is available.  

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, PatrickAWlson said:

They were pretty common by the time the D.VII came around.  I am unaware of them being used in a DRI - maybe towards the very end.  IMHO the best way to model parachute availability is pick a date - after that date the chute is available.  

Yes, that would be the sensible way to go about it. Especially since they will be taking this, eventially, to earlier in the war. Wouldn't be quite right to have an Eindecker pilot jumping out of his crate with a parachute!

By the way am I the only one who thinks this pilot has a big nose? :lol:

The guy must have been a boxer previously, he reminds me of Jean Paul Belmondo.

Bebel-las-des-as_IMDB-1068x794.jpg

• Like 1

The detail of the pilot looks incredible. I'm glad to see the full oxygen mask and goggles*. I hope that will be an option and not just based on how high we are flying. My only quibble is he looks too old to represent a pilot in his early to mid 20s. IMO anyway.

*Goggles, not googles. 🙄

Edited by Rjel

Excellent work!

Love the buildings. le level of detail is insane!

Amazing! thank you again for this DD

30 minutes ago, Rjel said:

looks too old to represent a pilot in his early to mid 20s. IMO anyway.

Does this guy look as though he's twenty years old? Combat ages you real fast.

07Fighter-pilot.jpg

And I still think our new U.S.pilot looks like F-86 triple ace James Jabara. Nose and all!

a45d2f1a06f4d977_large.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, I./JG1_Baron said:

You are wrong. It was standard equipment for German pilot from summer 1918 (i think) to end of war. Another thing is that chutes were dangerous and heavy. For this resons most of pilots were flying without prachute. 

I don't think "most of pilots were flying without parachute" is true.  If they had them they used them.  What is true is that they were bulky and unreliable.  At least two top German aces were killed when their chutes failed to deploy.  Still, it was better than riding a burning plane to the ground or jumping without one.  Much better to jump with a 50-50 chance of survival than a 0% chance of survival.

Look at pictures of Boelcke after 6 months of combat.  Looks like he aged 20 years.

27 minutes ago, Poochnboo said:

Does this guy look as though he's twenty years old? Combat ages you real fast.

Or Gabreski, for that matter:

800px-Francis_Gabreski_color_photo_in_pi

2 hours ago, I./JG1_Baron said:

It was standard equipment for German pilot from summer 1918 (i think) to end of war.

Yes, the first documented bailout by a German pilot with a parachute was 1 April 1918, by the pilot of an Albatros D.Va: http://www.historynet.com/heinecke-parachute-a-leap-of-faith-for-wwi-german-airmen.htm.

So, given that date, they were probably in service at least 7-10 days before that.

8 minutes ago, PatrickAWlson said:

I don't think "most of pilots were flying without parachute" is true.  If they had them they used them.  What is true is that they were bulky and unreliable.  At least two top German aces were killed when their chutes failed to deploy.  Still, it was better than riding a burning plane to the ground or jumping without one.  Much better to jump with a 50-50 chance of survival than a 0% chance of survival.

The initial numbers say the parachutes failed 1/3 of the time. Apparently some fixes came later that reduced the chances of a failure. Not great of course, but it sure beats the alternative of having nothing at all.

"IMO" he doesn't look 20 something. "IMO". It's still ok to have an opinion, right?

Edited by Rjel
  • Upvote 1

Am I really reading stuff about nose size too big and looking too old for someone's age?

Is this the comment page of the Marie Claire or Cosmopolitan? :biggrin::P

Sorry, I go back to my quinoa salade and detox chia seeds smoothie. :ph34r:

• Haha 5
  • Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, LukeFF said:

Gabreski was 24 when he took over 61st Fighter Sqd 1943, Erich Hartmann was 21 when he scored 150 kills 1943 and earned his Knights Cross. War is Hell and robbs people off their youth and innocence.

• Upvote 1

His face, young but prematurely aged, is going to be hidden behind an oxygen mask. Finally!

1 hour ago, LukeFF said:

Gabreski already looked old when he was a teenager 😂 but I bet he didn’t care...

3CE11117-E677-4BDB-849C-717DD16377D4.thumb.jpeg.2c52e08988d5f2cd9797976e77032067.jpeg

38 minutes ago, Pierre64 said:

A-11 helmet, B-8 goggles, A-14 oxygen mask and B-4 life vest are very well detailed !

D6A3B6CD-1F92-4CE0-AF1D-58D03C43F0E6.thumb.jpeg.667a19b668ef7d3f78518bc00b47abb0.jpeg856CFEF6-B42C-49D4-B198-E9901A63C64D.jpeg.5d03e8a5a1951e1ce1560c71efb23e36.jpeg248088CB-FA7C-4FC7-AC94-924853C4956D.jpeg.3f87c25ec3bb75f0244ba5969729514a.jpeg

I had that whole setup, right there. Bought it back in the late sixty's from a magazine. Was real war surplus. Had it displayed for decades on a mannequin head. A few years ago I put it on E-Bay. A collector in Poland bought it from me for 350 U.S. dollars. 

Oh, not the life vest. Just the helmet, mask and goggles. Most I ever made on E-Bay for a single sale.

Match the face game.

My attempt:

1855126535_whoareyou.jpg.a48b11eb61511918502b83b1a3f94aed.jpg

Someone has a sense of humour...or... something. Uncanny resemblance really.

Salute!

Planky.

Edited by Plank

1 hour ago, Rjel said:

"IMO" he doesn't look 20 something. "IMO". It's still ok to have an opinion, right?

Of course. What are you getting all upset about? We're just stating our difference of opinion. No one's belittling you. 

• Upvote 1

The pilot looks older to me too.  Perhaps closer to 35 than 20.  It's probably the heavy features that give that effect.  

Buildings look great, American pilot looks superb (oxygen masks at last!), and the Camel looks awesome. Though if it isn’t actively trying to kill the pilot, it’s not really a Camel :biggrin:

3 hours ago, Rjel said:

Well, yeah. You’re allowed to have and express an opinion... and they’re allowed to have and express a differing opinion.

I don't know what I'm most excited about. The new US pilot and the oxygen mask are great, the new buildings are awesome... But look at that Sopwith Camel! 😍

2 hours ago, ShamrockOneFive said:

I don't know what I'm most excited about. The new US pilot and the oxygen mask are great, the new buildings are awesome... But look at that Sopwith Camel! 😍

But there is something... absent.

No peasantry and stock! For the countryside to be fully believable we simply need those. (and to simulate combat incidents with much sought details)

;)

A great patch - good work.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Ehret said:

But there is something... absent.

No peasantry and stock! For the countryside to be fully believable we simply need those. (and to simulate combat incidents with much sought details)

;)

A great patch - good work.

If IL-2 adds cows I will promise to try and contain my bovine jokes :)

The zipper teeth on the jacket of the pilot without the oxygen mask are not correctly aligned. They would snag if he tried to pull the zip up. Your attention to detail is slipping mein devs. However the roundles on the camel have nice colours.
Edited by pilotpierre
  • Haha 1