BravoThreeZero

OpenComposite (AKA OpenOVR) - bypass SteamVR for Oculus Rift

Some of you have probably found this project already:

https://gitlab.com/znixian/OpenOVR

OpenComposite is an implementation of SteamVR's API - OpenVR, forwarding calls directly to the Oculus runtime. Think of it as a backwards version of ReVive, for the Rift. This allows you to play SteamVR-based games on an Oculus Rift as though they were native titles, without the use of SteamVR!

I helped the developer with a bit of testing to get it working in IL-2 the other day, and happy to report it now works! There are still some issues to be ironed out, such as a bit of head tracking judder/jerkiness, but it seems to improve performance a bit, and removes the requirement to run Steam and SteamVR for those of us who bought IL-2 directly. Great thanks to the developer, Campbell Suter (ZNix), and I think it would be great if the developer of IL-2 integrated this into the game as an option for us Rifters.

If anyone has new problems (besides the judder issue, which is being worked on), please report them via GitLab issues! Feel free to mention your experience using it on here. I'll be doing some more playing around with it once the new IL-2 update is installed, hopefully I can get my relatively old system (i7-2600K @ 4.4 GHz, Radeon Fury) to run this game fast enough for VR.

• Like 3

Definetly worth a look. Everything that can save ressources and has the potential to ignore bloaded 3rd party software is more than welcome. In the end, we IL2 guys primarely want to use our HMD, not VR social hubs and other BS.

I'm keeping a keen eye while I wait for the refurbished Rift to be shipped my way.

If judder gets sorted a higher perf alternative to steamVR would be much appreciated. Even though improvements are mainly GPU oriented SteamVR insists on double dipping on camera tracking info so this would nearly halve the associated VR CPU cost of running Il2.

25 minutes ago, peregrine7 said:

I'm keeping a keen eye while I wait for the refurbished Rift to be shipped my way.

If judder gets sorted a higher perf alternative to steamVR would be much appreciated. Even though improvements are mainly GPU oriented SteamVR insists on double dipping on camera tracking info so this would nearly halve the associated VR CPU cost of running Il2.

Don't expect any miracles I'm running it right now and not seeing anything crazy. 

I think the judder issue  that was present in the first builds of OpenComposite is gone, or at least I can't notice it anymore. I don't think it can improve in any way the regular Oculus head tracking, as it just forwards calls to the Oculus runtime.

What it does do, is save you from needing to have Steam and SteamVR running in the background (save like 1GB of memory), and with the Oculus run-as-admin trick, that saves another good chunk of memory (handy if you have some Hyper-V VMs or other memory hogs sharing your system). The FPS gain will be marginal, perhaps 5% at best, but that can mean the difference between a smooth 90FPS, and constant stuttering as the FPS occasionally dips to 45 for those who have very powerful PCs.

For me, with a 3 year old AMD Fury video card and a CPU from 2011 (never mind old, slow DDR3 1600 RAM), the main thing was to bypass SteamVR so I could properly run ASW on a graphics card that doesn't really work with SteamVR. Speaking of which, with ASW running, I get nice smooth flight and and head tracking without the barf-inducing 45FPS, and I see the funny prop glitches and smearing now, which doesn't bother me too much, but what does bother me is that other airplanes flying by are kind of doubled/blurred - is that normal too?

20 minutes ago, BravoThreeZero said:

but what does bother me is that other airplanes flying by are kind of doubled/blurred - is that normal too?

Yes it is,  your travelling/moving your head this way, that aircraft flying by is going the other way. The 2d frame interpolation that is asw can't compute.

Open composite sounds like a breath of fresh air in a world full of bloatware. But can it set ss? Or do we need tray tool again?

27 minutes ago, BravoThreeZero said:

I think the judder issue  that was present in the first builds of OpenComposite is gone, or at least I can't notice it anymore. I don't think it can improve in any way the regular Oculus head tracking, as it just forwards calls to the Oculus runtime.

What it does do, is save you from needing to have Steam and SteamVR running in the background (save like 1GB of memory), and with the Oculus run-as-admin trick, that saves another good chunk of memory (handy if you have some Hyper-V VMs or other memory hogs sharing your system). The FPS gain will be marginal, perhaps 5% at best, but that can mean the difference between a smooth 90FPS, and constant stuttering as the FPS occasionally dips to 45 for those who have very powerful PCs.

For me, with a 3 year old AMD Fury video card and a CPU from 2011 (never mind old, slow DDR3 1600 RAM), the main thing was to bypass SteamVR so I could properly run ASW on a graphics card that doesn't really work with SteamVR. Speaking of which, with ASW running, I get nice smooth flight and and head tracking without the barf-inducing 45FPS, and I see the funny prop glitches and smearing now, which doesn't bother me too much, but what does bother me is that other airplanes flying by are kind of doubled/blurred - is that normal too?

That's from ASW just disable ASW with ctrl and numpad 1 and you will not drop to 45 fps anymore. I have no idea why 80-90 frames isn't acceptable, even 60 frames looks better and feels better than 45 with ASW on.

20 minutes ago, SvAF/F16_radek said:

Open composite sounds like a breath of fresh air in a world full of bloatware. But can it set ss? Or do we need tray tool again?

After you put the DLL in the game folder, add an opencomposite.ini file with the following variables:

enableAudio=False
supersampleRatio=1.4

The first stops the automatic sending of audio to the Rift (IL-2 doesn't like this, was crashing it for me), and the second, set to whatever multiplier you want :)

There are other variables, see the OpenComposite gitlab page for more info.

18 minutes ago, 15th_JonRedcorn said:

That's from ASW just disable ASW with ctrl and numpad 1 and you will not drop to 45 fps anymore. I have no idea why 80-90 frames isn't acceptable, even 60 frames looks better and feels better than 45 with ASW on.

I was playing around with that. It felt like it was still dropping to 45FPS, I couldn't handle it 🤢 - same effect as if pressing ctrl-2. Probably my PC isn't fast enough. Ctrl-3 was best for me, as it was smooth tracking, and the ground moving past was super smooth (at low flight levels), without the stutters when you look away from the ground as it jumps up and down from 90FPS.

Edited by BravoThreeZero
formatting

14 minutes ago, 15th_JonRedcorn said:

Because the screen in the Rift has a 90 hz update rate, 60fps + 90hz update = 1,2,1 frame timings (Rift doesn't ever send partial frames) which makes many people sick (it's like a vibration on your vision, not quite stutter but feels very odd). ASW makes things magically smooth again at the cost of artifacts (artifacts that will be fixable with ASW 2.0 coming "soon").

Also, not expecting miracles per se, but for some of us on weaker CPUs this represents quite a significant lightening of the load. GPU optimisations mean this should be 2-3% faster at present compared to SteamVR, the dev is hoping for 8%+. Combine that with halved VR assoc CPU cost and some of us may get 5-10% perf increase which would get us up above the 45fps threshold consistently. That's a small increase that means a lot to some of us.

• Like 1

I see no difference with ASW on at 45 fps and ASW off at 60fps or 70 or 80.

52 minutes ago, BravoThreeZero said:

After you put the DLL in the game folder, add an opencomposite.ini file with the following variables:

The first stops the automatic sending of audio to the Rift (IL-2 doesn't like this, was crashing it for me), and the second, set to whatever multiplier you want :)

There are other variables, see the OpenComposite gitlab page for more info.

I was playing around with that. It felt like it was still dropping to 45FPS, I couldn't handle it 🤢 - same effect as if pressing ctrl-2. Probably my PC isn't fast enough. Ctrl-3 was best for me, as it was smooth tracking, and the ground moving past was super smooth (at low flight levels), without the stutters when you look away from the ground as it jumps up and down from 90FPS.

What do those commands do? ctrl 2 or 3?

Edited by 15th_JonRedcorn

35 minutes ago, 15th_JonRedcorn said:

I see no difference with ASW on at 45 fps and ASW off at 60fps or 70 or 80.

What do those commands do? ctrl 2 or 3?

They are the Oculus ASW hotkeys. (Ctrl + numpad 1,2,3,4) 

1: ASW off

2: 45fps locked, ASW off, ATW on.
3: 45 fps locked, ASW on (ATW on too)

4: default (90 ASW off, if<90 then 45 ASW on)

Edited by peregrine7

2 hours ago, BravoThreeZero said:

The mod takes the prop out of the equation ( Lshift + K), preventing the sight wobbles with ASW, amongst other little tricks.

Edited by Wulfen
  • Like 2

Just to note, removing the prop disc also stops planes behind the propellor from being doubled/blurred. 

If you see blurring/doubling of aircraft NOT behind the prop disc that's another story.

• Like 1

After playing some more this new patch is hammering VR performance, it's bad now. I was playing with super low settings and my machine is top of the line and my frame rate just dropped every single time action started going on. The new particle effects are killing performance. It's not even playable anymore in VR IMO. Buy better hardware is an option I guess, could spend 1300 dollars for a 2080ti that you can't even get right now. Considering the improvement I got from a 1070 to a 1080ti was absolutely not worth 700 dollars I am extremely hesitant. Just gunna get use to 2d I guess, it's not even close to as fun, but being unable to fight cause of frame drops is not fun either. Honestly performance from this machine right now isn't impressing me at all. Escape from tarkov is another game that doesn't run very well and I enjoy that too.

4 hours ago, 15th_JonRedcorn said:

After playing some more this new patch is hammering VR performance, it's bad now. I was playing with super low settings and my machine is top of the line and my frame rate just dropped every single time action started going on. The new particle effects are killing performance. It's not even playable anymore in VR IMO. Buy better hardware is an option I guess, could spend 1300 dollars for a 2080ti that you can't even get right now. Considering the improvement I got from a 1070 to a 1080ti was absolutely not worth 700 dollars I am extremely hesitant. Just gunna get use to 2d I guess, it's not even close to as fun, but being unable to fight cause of frame drops is not fun either. Honestly performance from this machine right now isn't impressing me at all. Escape from tarkov is another game that doesn't run very well and I enjoy that too.

What are your specs? I'm a little worried. I have a i5 3570k @4.4ghz, GTX 1080, 16gb DDR3 @ 2400mhz. FPS before wasn't great in action either. 
Was kinda hoping the MP optimisation would help things, not hinder. 

If you're CPU limited that'd explain it. Always hoping the devs throw us VR peeps a bone. It'd be nice.

7 hours ago, peregrine7 said:

What are your specs? I'm a little worried. I have a i5 3570k @4.4ghz, GTX 1080, 16gb DDR3 @ 2400mhz. FPS before wasn't great in action either. 
Was kinda hoping the MP optimisation would help things, not hinder. 

If you're CPU limited that'd explain it. Always hoping the devs throw us VR peeps a bone. It'd be nice.

Specs are in my signiature, 8700k 4.8ghz, 1080ti at 2000mhz 16 gigs of 3000mhz ram, and all on a samsung 860 evo 1tb SSD.

9 hours ago, 15th_JonRedcorn said:

Specs are in my signiature, 8700k 4.8ghz, 1080ti at 2000mhz 16 gigs of 3000mhz ram, and all on a samsung 860 evo 1tb SSD.

Welp, I am now terrified. Goddamnit. 

I guess, seeing as we can mod particle effects, it'd be worth checking if this is due to transparencies.

17 hours ago, peregrine7 said:

I suspect with that CPU you're going to have a hard time hitting 90 fps (maybe you already know this!). One thing to do is run Oculus Tray Tool and show the Performance or Latency HUD. One of them shows the "Application Time" for each frame -- on my 8086k this is 9-10ms on balanced graphics, and this is just the time that the app needs for its processing. If that hits 11ms then 90fps is also missed. 

For your system I expect you're targeting 45fps ASW, so you can use the latency HUD to see how your CPU is doing. You want to be well away from 22ms frame time on the CPU, maybe 17 or less to give you a bit of headroom. If you can get that constant headroom your GTX 1080 can do the rest. I would actually avoid AA in game and just apply SS using Oculus Tray tool to your liking.

The other thing we've seen a lot of is SteamVR conflicting with OTT and mis-applying supersampling. The "pixel density" HUD can let you check this. One of our squadron was accidentally running 2.5 pixel density, which means about a 5x INCREASE in GPU load. Once he fixed that (by forcing SteamVR to 100% supersample and then just doing supersample in OTT) he had a much better time.

• Thanks 1

Doesn't seem to want to work for me.  Game never launches.  I'm using the version from the link in the first post.  Something I'm missing?  I replaced the DLL file in the "\IL-2 Sturmovik Battle of Moscow\bin\game" directory. No error...just doesn't do anything.

Hi guys,

Always looking for ways to improve my oculus experience so I wanted to try this out. Unfortunatly I can't get it to work. I replaced the dll just fine but without Oculus home 2.0 running the Rift does not produce an image. When I start up Il2 through the shortcut I get a 2d image. After startup I have to activate HMD option and after restart I get the double image on my desktop. As said my Rift remains black. 

This is the same problem I have when I just wan't to use SteamVR. That doesn't work either. If I fire up the game through Oculus home directly, again just no image in the Rift. 

Any ideas?

16 hours ago, [Pb]RedeyeStorm said:

Hi guys,

Always looking for ways to improve my oculus experience so I wanted to try this out. Unfortunatly I can't get it to work. I replaced the dll just fine but without Oculus home 2.0 running the Rift does not produce an image. When I start up Il2 through the shortcut I get a 2d image. After startup I have to activate HMD option and after restart I get the double image on my desktop. As said my Rift remains black. 

This is the same problem I have when I just wan't to use SteamVR. That doesn't work either. If I fire up the game through Oculus home directly, again just no image in the Rift. 

Any ideas?

If you are running the Oculus Home beta I have found that you get a black screen in steam. Revert back to the default Oculus Home and it should work fine. I purchased Il2 BOS initially thru steam and steam VR works fine with the default Oculus Home.

Edited by Wulfen

On 9/30/2018 at 6:50 AM, Alonzo said:

For your system I expect you're targeting 45fps ASW, so you can use the latency HUD to see how your CPU is doing. You want to be well away from 22ms frame time on the CPU, maybe 17 or less to give you a bit of headroom. If you can get that constant headroom your GTX 1080 can do the rest. I would actually avoid AA in game and just apply SS using Oculus Tray tool to your liking. 

All spot on the money, I do have often a huge overhead but hitting 90hz is a rarity and the switch between 90/45 causes a stutter so I use the 45fps ASW on mode. When sitting at base or when action gets really intense I sometimes dip below 45hz which is a big reason why I want to upgrade. My latency is usually 17-19hz.

The number 1 problem for me is stutter, frame times are not consistent even with overhead. I tested this on a mate's 8086k and regardless of it being in 90hz or 45hz ASW on mode the stutter was present. By this testing I believe the stutter is present regardless of CPU strength, but if anybody can prove me wrong I'd be seriously happy. 

I've changed as many settings as possible (and followed Jason's advice from 3.001(?)), even turned off grass entirely. I fly with the HUD off as well. 

If Open Composite provides any sort of smoothness/stability or even just a few extra FPS so I can get into slightly larger fights without going sub 45 then once again, I'd be seriously happy. Can't wait for the Rift to get back dangit.

EDIT: Oh, not to mention the current in-game AA degrades spotting performance, I'd always recommend not using it and going for SS instead or just taking the visual hit.

Edited by peregrine7

17 hours ago, Wulfen said:

If you are running the Oculus Home beta I have found that you get a black screen in steam. Revert back to the default Oculus Home and it should work fine. I purchased Il2 BOS initially thru steam and steam VR works fine with the default Oculus Home.

The only problem is that the home beta will soon be the default. Any other trick or just hoping that Oculus fixes (if it is a bug) it?

2 hours ago, [Pb]RedeyeStorm said:

The only problem is that the home beta will soon be the default. Any other trick or just hoping that Oculus fixes (if it is a bug) it?

Many have been asking for this over on the Oculus forums, not sure the desire is there on Oculus side to do this for whatever reason. We'll see.

Home Beta is now out of Beta, just matter of when now as to pulling the plug on the Classic Oculus Home.

On 9/30/2018 at 9:33 PM, peregrine7 said:

By this testing I believe the stutter is present regardless of CPU strength, but if anybody can prove me wrong I'd be seriously happy. 

Not trying to prove you wrong, but take a look at the graphs from this post:

That shows the difference between my out-of-the-box experience on an 8086k with a GTX 1070, versus a tuned setup. Basically my interpretation is that IL-2 is so seriously CPU bound that it often goes over the 11ms CPU frame time, and any little things you can do to either reduce CPU load or improve CPU single threaded performance can overall make a big difference to stutter. 

My theory is that the kind of tuning I was doing to try to hit 90fps on the 8086k could be applicable to you trying to hit 45fps on your CPU. So I overclocked as much as I could, dropped hyper-threading (since IL-2 only uses 4 cores), overclocked my RAM and increased my "ring ratio" (also known as "uncore" ratio) because IL-2 likes low latency memory access. Doing these things on your rig might help, as long as you can do them and still maintain stability. I tended to do 2hr+ Prime95 tests after major tweaks to ensure that the system is still stable.

On 9/30/2018 at 9:33 PM, peregrine7 said:

All spot on the money, I do have often a huge overhead but hitting 90hz is a rarity and the switch between 90/45 causes a stutter so I use the 45fps ASW on mode. When sitting at base or when action gets really intense I sometimes dip below 45hz which is a big reason why I want to upgrade. My latency is usually 17-19hz.

The number 1 problem for me is stutter, frame times are not consistent even with overhead. I tested this on a mate's 8086k and regardless of it being in 90hz or 45hz ASW on mode the stutter was present. By this testing I believe the stutter is present regardless of CPU strength, but if anybody can prove me wrong I'd be seriously happy. 

I've changed as many settings as possible (and followed Jason's advice from 3.001(?)), even turned off grass entirely. I fly with the HUD off as well. 

If Open Composite provides any sort of smoothness/stability or even just a few extra FPS so I can get into slightly larger fights without going sub 45 then once again, I'd be seriously happy. Can't wait for the Rift to get back dangit.

EDIT: Oh, not to mention the current in-game AA degrades spotting performance, I'd always recommend not using it and going for SS instead or just taking the visual hit.

I believe the in game AA is far better for spotting than any SS, I use 100% and either 2xAA or 4xAA, I have tested this quite a bit, do a quick flight at 5k m with an il2 below you and see how fast you can spot it with either settings. Bet 100% SS and AA come out on top. It did for me, with SS the game blurs planes out against the ground far too much.

5 hours ago, 15th_JonRedcorn said:

I believe the in game AA is far better for spotting than any SS,

I didn´t test for spotting, but for ID or for gauges clarity I prefer SS.

Here some tests with images:

https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/30771-how-much-ss-is-desirable-image-quality-samples/

And here some test mixing AA and SS:

https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/32186-identification-in-vr-supersampling-and-aa-influence-sample-images/

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, chiliwili69 said:

https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/30771-how-much-ss-is-desirable-image-quality-samples/

https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/32186-identification-in-vr-supersampling-and-aa-influence-sample-images/

Not one of those tests shows spotting targets at 5k+ I am telling you try the simple test, start quick flight at 5k and then look down for the Il2, see which ones better, bet it's in game AA. With SS high everything starts blending at high distance, you can't even see stuff right in front of you. If you try to look up into a deep blue sky and spot a mig or something it's impossible with high SS.

15 hours ago, chiliwili69 said:

Man, considering I was going to do those tests myself I'm glad you've done it.

I am still going to go through and redo my guide with reference matrices like you've done for SS, would you mind if I used your image for SS and AA?

20 hours ago, 15th_JonRedcorn said:

Not one of those tests shows spotting targets at 5k+

Yes, That´s why I said in my post that I didn´t test for spotting. The ones that I did were only for ID and details in closer objects.

7 hours ago, peregrine7 said:

Man, considering I was going to do those tests myself I'm glad you've done it.

I am still going to go through and redo my guide with reference matrices like you've done for SS, would you mind if I used your image for SS and AA?

Yes, you will see that there are a lot tests already done when diving in this VR subforum...

But if you want to do tests you can do one just for influence of AA and SS for spotting.

I was doing some of this in this test, but only with SS influence: https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/36627-resolution-tests-rift-vs-vivepro-updated-with-camera-through-lenses-pics/

You can do the same by saving a track with planes far away (spread in 3Km, 5Km, 7Km) so you can load the track trying different AA and SS values and compose a matrix. You can do that in Monitor and also in VR. To do SS with monitor you can use the Nvidia graphics panel. To do SS with VR you can use SteamVR, but to capture the images don´t use "SteamVR mirror" or the IL-2 monitor view of VR, use "Oculus Mirror" which displays the image sent to the Rift before applying the lens distortion correction.

Regarding referencing the matrices, of course, all the contents of this forum is fully public and anyone can use it for whatever post. 

Edited by chiliwili69

On 9/28/2018 at 10:05 PM, BravoThreeZero said:

Any chance to put in a command in the .ini file to disable ASW? CTRL+Num1 never worked for me so I always had to rely on OTT. I wouldn't mind getting rid of that too along with SteamVR. 

Good news is for me combined VR processes (Oculus + SteamVR) went from 35% CPU usage to 18% netting me a considerable performance game when shit gets real.

Bad news is the replacement VR headset I got is faulty as well, so another couple weeks before I get to put it to use.

On 9/29/2018 at 6:06 PM, Napping-Man said:

Doesn't seem to want to work for me.  Game never launches.  I'm using the version from the link in the first post.  Something I'm missing?  I replaced the DLL file in the "\IL-2 Sturmovik Battle of Moscow\bin\game" directory. No error...just doesn't do anything.

Did you get it fixed? You also need to create an .ini file and tell OpenComposite not to try to hook audio. Then IL2 will work with it.

Instructions from another thread:

I haven't gone back to try again (real life crap).  I thought the opencomposite.ini would be auto-generated, so I'll try creating manually.  With the Audio-Off, I'll still get sound in the Rift headphones right?

22 hours ago, Napping-Man said:

I haven't gone back to try again (real life crap).  I thought the opencomposite.ini would be auto-generated, so I'll try creating manually.  With the Audio-Off, I'll still get sound in the Rift headphones right?

I'm not sure. Personally I don't use the "auto audio" setting for my VR gear, I use VoiceMeeter to pipe audio to both my speakers and the Rift audio device. With this off in opencomposite.ini you might need to manually change the output audio device in Windows to be the Rift.

22 hours ago, Virus* said:

can this work for Mixed reality headset as well?

No, it translates directly to the Oculus runtime.

I tried this today, installed it "global" and then ran IL-2.

My subjective feeling is that it gives better "flow" and very little "ghosting".

The best part is to get rid of Steam VR running in the background.

finally got it working. Work great, overall very smooth expirience, maybe even less in between flashes and hickups, than with SteamVR.