Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
dburne

Rift Core 2.0 exits Beta, original Oculus Home going away

Recommended Posts

This isn't sounding good. If Oculus force a load of crap on me I don't want I shall be moving to another platform before too long.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, JimmySolarium said:

unfortunatetely mine updated as well.

And now i cannot get rid of the guardian area i once set up in the very beginning in Oculus Home. The blue chaperone in Steam VR i could disable pretty easy but this one through Oculus not..:( 

 

Gone are the days, when Il-2 started without blinky colored Oculus Nonsense... 😞

 

ok, a complete new setup of the devices solved the Guardian problem (after i physically disconnected every oculus device)  but no chance starting il-2 without oculus Home. :(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Alonzo said:

Any idea if ASW 2.0 is included with the update?

 

I don't think so, think it is still being developed. Not a lot of information on it at this time that I see.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So it's now sunday and I can still open steam VR without oculus home opening, have no idea if it's updated itself to riftcore 2.0 I'd think they'd have rolled it out to everyone by now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, 15th_JonRedcorn said:

So it's now sunday and I can still open steam VR without oculus home opening, have no idea if it's updated itself to riftcore 2.0 I'd think they'd have rolled it out to everyone by now.

 

Usually rollout is around 3-5 business days. I do not believe they roll updates out over the weekend.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just a quick info ragarding thos update - after some flying and a restart of my pc today, Steam VR didnt work anymore (HMD black). i never start Oculus Home, just Steam VR. I tried to see if Oculus still works, oh its already updated, great!

When i tried to start Steam VR with Oculus running, bang, my PC shuts off - fantastic! After a restart still the same, cant get Steam VR to start anymore, or crash my pc when starting Steam VR together with oculus.

Since i had no nerve to try, i reversed via windows system backup, seemed like Oculus Software updated half an hour earlier. After reversing, Steam VR starts again, but i fear as soon as Oculus updated again, shit starts again.

At least i could fly a small mission, but dont have the time an motivation to deal with this bullshit at the moment.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 10/7/2018 at 5:32 PM, dburne said:

 

Usually rollout is around 3-5 business days. I do not believe they roll updates out over the weekend.

 

lol Don't think software updates follow the business day schedule. This isn't the US postal service. Still have 0 problems firing up steamvr. So at what point can I safely say this hasn't effected me in the slightest? Thursday? Since that should be 5 business days lol. Guess they don't do updates on saturday and sunday.

Edited by 15th_JonRedcorn

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, 15th_JonRedcorn said:

lol Don't think software updates follow the business day schedule. This isn't the US postal service. Still have 0 problems firing up steamvr. So at what point can I safely say this hasn't effected me in the slightest? Thursday? Since that should be 5 business days lol. Guess they don't do updates on saturday and sunday.

 

Really? 

Enjoy the laughter.

Guess that is what I get for just trying to give guys who may not be aware a heads up on what is coming down the pike.

 

Have fun,

 

 

2 hours ago, ironk79 said:

Just a quick info ragarding thos update - after some flying and a restart of my pc today, Steam VR didnt work anymore (HMD black). i never start Oculus Home, just Steam VR. I tried to see if Oculus still works, oh its already updated, great!

When i tried to start Steam VR with Oculus running, bang, my PC shuts off - fantastic! After a restart still the same, cant get Steam VR to start anymore, or crash my pc when starting Steam VR together with oculus.

Since i had no nerve to try, i reversed via windows system backup, seemed like Oculus Software updated half an hour earlier. After reversing, Steam VR starts again, but i fear as soon as Oculus updated again, shit starts again.

At least i could fly a small mission, but dont have the time an motivation to deal with this bullshit at the moment.

 

 

If you had Oculus software set to run as Admin, you would need to uncheck that with the new Oculus Home Rift Core 2.0 - otherwise yes you will get a black screen in headset because Home is not launching.

Edited by dburne

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


 

10 hours ago, 15th_JonRedcorn said:

lol Don't think software updates follow the business day schedule. This isn't the US postal service. Still have 0 problems firing up steamvr. So at what point can I safely say this hasn't effected me in the slightest? Thursday? Since that should be 5 business days lol. Guess they don't do updates on saturday and sunday.


Probably a rather dumb question but can you still fire up il2 and play without home running? I could also start steam VR after the update, without any errors, though the hmd would show no image. None of the vr peeps in my squad can any longer and we were all behind the "admin" trick. If you can I'd like to know what you and anyone else that still can avoid 'Home' did differently.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

deleted 12Gb of home garbage.  insane. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, katdog5 said:

deleted 12Gb of home garbage.  insane. 

what exactly do you mean?what exactly did you delete?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have not started IL2 or Oculus Home in the last 8 days but I plan to play IL-2 in Thursday.  Should I cut the Ethernet cable before switching one the PC??  😉

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, chiliwili69 said:

I have not started IL2 or Oculus Home in the last 8 days but I plan to play IL-2 in Thursday.  Should I cut the Ethernet cable before switching one the PC??  😉

 

Well it is your computer, reckon you can do anything you want with it.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

hasn't updated for me...yet.

 

is there any quantifiable fps impact?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, OrLoK said:

hasn't updated for me...yet.

 

is there any quantifiable fps impact?

 

Back when one could use the admin trick with Rift Core 2.0 Beta, I checked both with it on and with it off and could not see any discernable difference. It all fades out to gray when a game is launched, and fades back in when a game is exited back to desktop.

 

Personally I think we would get more of a "benefit" if someday 1CGS would implement native Rift support. As it is now , regardless whether Home is running or not, it has to go through two VR renderings - Steam and Oculus.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

ta! yes, I seem to remember you saying that a long while ago.

 

I would like the option of a basic rift launcher but I can understand why they are going for bells and whistles.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

From what I’ve read somewhere, over the grapevine, core 2.0 completely unloads when another vr application starts while the old home did not. So it won’t be impacting fps any but it will require some loading/unloading. The annoying thing however is to have it pop up like some unwanted banner when trying to fit both il2 and discord on a limited screen space. Steam had the decency of adding an option box for both the main and steam vr windows showing or not when launching a game. Oculus removed that choice.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SvAF/F16_radek said:

From what I’ve read somewhere, over the grapevine, core 2.0 completely unloads when another vr application starts while the old home did not. So it won’t be impacting fps any but it will require some loading/unloading. The annoying thing however is to have it pop up like some unwanted banner when trying to fit both il2 and discord on a limited screen space. Steam had the decency of adding an option box for both the main and steam vr windows showing or not when launching a game. Oculus removed that choice.

 

If you are talking about on the desktop, you can use the Oculus Tray Tool to set Oculus Home to minimize on start.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks dburne didn’t know that. Though I’ve used tray tool previously I’m a reluctant to do so again. Yet another process that can conflict with something else and eventually will need attention. If I had use of more features tray tool offers it would be well worth it, but really only want an il2 and discord shortcut on my desktop, without the irritating popups.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

it's an opt out update so you can opt out of using the home environment, though you'd be missing out.

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Henree said:

it's an opt out update so you can opt out of using the home environment, though you'd be missing out.

 

So how do I opt out?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Henree said:

it's an opt out update so you can opt out of using the home environment, though you'd be missing out.

 

 

That is news to me.

Lot of folk over on the Oculus forums would probably love to know this as apparently they do not.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Henree said:

you will get the option when it rolls out


It already did roll out. Would you mind sharing where you got this from?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, dburne said:

Personally I think we would get more of a "benefit" if someday 1CGS would implement native Rift support. As it is now , regardless whether Home is running or not, it has to go through two VR renderings - Steam and Oculus.

 

There's Open Composite which allows you to bypass SteamVR and go to the Oculus runtime a bit more directly (it's not as good as direct Oculus support, but a bit better than having SteamVR in the way). It's working well for me and others.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah!, the tirck doesn´t work anymore for me. I have to run Oculus Home to be able to see something on the Rift.

What a shame!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, chiliwili69 said:

Yeah!, the tirck doesn´t work anymore for me. I have to run Oculus Home to be able to see something on the Rift.

What a shame!

 

Yeah the Rift forum is loaded with complaints on this now. 

I still urge folks that are unhappy with this to submit feedback from your desktop Rift app, it is very easy to do. Maybe if they get enough they might change this.

 

For me personally I have no issue with it, and really do not see any performance change,  but understand why many do not want Home software running whilst playing a Steam VR game.

 

Edited by dburne

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just got an email from Oculus touting their new 1.31.  Had to remove the admin checkbox for SteamVR to be able to bring up IL2 with (new) Oculus running as well, then needed to select IL2 from within Oculus to actually run the sim.  Found this link to at least remove the "home" background:

 

https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/8uf1sm/oculushomeless_use_dash_without_home_20/

 

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Had an update which I assume is this one, then a black screen in the Rift until I'd updated my gfx card drivers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×