Champagne

Today's Update. 26.9.18

I'm practicing against three SPADs set to Veteran and I fly alone.  What a challenge.  Really teaches me to keep looking around for the enemy, especially when I'm on the tail of one of them. If I focus for too long on my target, the other SPADs will get me. They are using Zoom and Boom tactics to loose a burst at me and zoom away. It is very difficult to catch them, even when they have some engine damage, so, I'd better practice my long shots and head-on attacks.

Anyway, the new update is great. There's more debris from a hit plane. Also, the dead enemy pilots don't disappear anymore. It's much more difficult to see whether the enemy pilot is Kaput. One must judge look at the enemy plane's flight and judge.

In any event, don't look too long, because the SPADs are much faster than your Triplane, and they will rake you with fire from the back or side in no time.

• Like 1

Good update! The effects and animations look great. The pistols, the pilot exiting the Dr.I, it's all good. I launched Flying Circus again for the first time in a while (I still spend most of my time in RoF) and was amazed at how much fun it is to fly the SPAD XIII. She's a very different animal, far better behaved.

I also hope that with this extra bit of polish we will be getting new planes on a slightly tighter schedule.

I have to admit I was really looking forward to getting the Camel and Pfalz either this month or next, but as of now the release date is "before the end of the year".

Glad the sparks are gone, can finally light a DR1 on fire and both planes don't fold up as quickly.  Great update all around with netcode improvements and the improved effects for the WW2 stuff.  The dust puffs from MG hits do seem a little over done in my opinion. 

Edited by Garven_Dreis

Haven't had time to check yet, but can the Spad pilot jump out without a parachute...

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Archie said:

Haven't had time to check yet, but can the Spad pilot jump out without a parachute...

I... I want this too, now.

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Archie said:

Yes...once. 

• Upvote 3

25 minutes ago, Archie said:

They'll need to create a convincing "splat" sound effect to go with that. Perhaps during the descent it could play a song called "At Least I Won't Burn" with English and German versions. We could have a competition to write the lyrics.

18 hours ago, Cynic_Al said:

They'll need to create a convincing "splat" sound effect to go with that. Perhaps during the descent it could play a song called "At Least I Won't Burn" with English and German versions. We could have a competition to write the lyrics.

How about Johnny Cash's "Ring of Fire"🙄

20 hours ago, LukeFF said:

Yes...once. 

Even more of a reason to remap track record to something other than Ctrl R.

2 hours ago, HiIIBiIIy said:

How about Johnny Cash's "Ring of Fire"🙄

That's reserved for when you land on top of your own plane's burning wreckage.

I'm not able to try it out yet, anyone noticed changes as per below?

71. Fokker Dr.I and SPAD 13.C1 durability are back to RoF values 

31. All guns fire dispersion differ while firing single shots and in bursts

FC also?

On 9/29/2018 at 5:20 PM, US103_Baer said:

FC also?

So after a quick 30mins. Some anecdotal findings.

It does seem like the DR1s take a little more damage now and yes, pretty close to RoF. Apples to apples is tough as the narrower dispersion in FC increases the hit rate of a good burst and the new damage graphics in FC could be making it look like more damage is taking place. But it does seem tougher to knock them right out compared to previous FC version.

Dispersion does widen a little with long bursts. I'm not sure if that is the result of  'gun heating' modelling that was implemented earlier or is something new. Either way it's not much change in dispersion. Fwiw 500-600m sniping is easy.

Damage FX is better but like others mention, the 'dust hits' seem excessive. Maybe these DR1s were stored in a very dusty old hanger 

Oil fx on goggles is back.

Parachutes. Really? 

- When did they enter service exactly and how prevalent was their use?

- From what i've read they weren't the 'auto-escape' of WW2 and there were many failures. Will those be modelled? Are there any stats on failure rates?

- Big questions around how the game handles parachutes. Their availability by date or plane type or pilot seniority, and especially server side/mission builder control.

AI. Everyone seems to like FC ai, and the Spads do act more sensibly, but for me 4 ace Dr1s in RoF is more challenging than 4 ace Dr1s in FC.

FC ai shoot better because of the narrow dispersion and seemed programmed to fire at anything under 550m 🙄 But they fly flat and gently and only do that curling 180deg RH turn. In RoF they seem more twisty, twitchy and unpredictable, and they prophang!

2 hours ago, US103_Baer said:

Parachutes. Really? 

- When did they enter service exactly and how prevalent was their use?

- From what i've read they weren't the 'auto-escape' of WW2 and there were many failures. Will those be modelled? Are there any stats on failure rates?

- Big questions around how the game handles parachutes. Their availability by date or plane type or pilot seniority, and especially server side/mission builder control.

http://www.historynet.com/heinecke-parachute-a-leap-of-faith-for-wwi-german-airmen.htm

wow and what is even more interesting is Jon Guttman's choice of match up ...

https://ospreypublishing.com/spad-xiii-vs-fokker-d-vii-pb

S! P

Some airmen grumbled about the 30-odd pounds Heinecke’s parachute added to their weight and initially doubted its reliability—a full third of the first 70 airmen to bail out died, in some instances because the static line tangled, the chute caught on the fuselage or the harness broke free. Reinforced harnesses with wider leg straps addressed the latter problem. The first reported successful bailout in combat came on April 1, 1918, when a Vizefeldwebel Weimar jumped clear of his stricken Albatros DVa. In late June Leutnants Helmut Steinbrecher and Ernst Udet likewise floated safely to the ground beneath their Heinecke chutes.

While parachutes improved pilots’ odds of survival if forced to bail out, the British did not issue them to Royal Air Force squadrons until September 1918. France and America did not allow their pilots to use them during the war.

from Luke's link

On 9/29/2018 at 5:20 AM, US103_Baer said:

FC also?

For what it's worth, I got two pilot kills and one Wing shed flying a Fokker dr-1 versus the spads in a 3 V 3 dogfight

Parachutes are a nice touch, but as i recall from a thread on the RoF forum, the total number of German pilots who successfully bailed out was less than 100 which is a drop in the bucket in WW1. The 1918 German Spring offensive alone produced a combined total of 1,500,000 casualties on both sides.

I have been doing a lot of QMBs with the new update, seems very nice, I like the new pilot model, the new smoke effect, the new hit effects.

damage model seems good, I have had a variety of kills, about 1/3 pilot kills, 1/4 engine kill, the rest various structural damage from various pieces falling off to partial or full wing failure. Sometimes you get a kill with just one burst, sometimes you have to fire hundreds of rounds. Overall a nice mix.

FM of SPAD and Dr.1 feel pretty much the same as in RoF although the FC SPAD seems a bit more powerful? it seems easier to extend away and out climb the Dr.1 in FC. I did notice that unlike in RoF airplanes will not stall and spin no matter how hard you push. Hopefully that is because of early access and will be added later.

Edited by Sgt_Joch

1 hour ago, Sgt_Joch said:

...FM of SPAD and Dr.1 feel pretty much the same as in RoF...

The FM of the Dr1 is almost night and day different between ROF and FC.  The crazy flipping is not there anymore. 

I am not an expert on the Dr.1, never spent much time with it in RoF or FC, it just felt as quirky as before. I much prefer the SPAD.

Edited by Sgt_Joch

22 hours ago, Sgt_Joch said:

..FM of SPAD and Dr.1 feel pretty much the same as in RoF although the FC SPAD seems a bit more powerful? it seems easier to extend away and out climb the Dr.1 in FC...

To me the Spad feels like it has more momentum in FC, everything happens a bit slower. I was so sure it was slower that I went and did a bunch (lots of reps) of RoF v FC Spad tests.

Top speed at sea level:

RoF 213kph, FC 211kph

Level Accel 140-200: RoF 18.3s, FC 19.2s

Climb was actually better in FC but as the test maps were different from above I won't bother writing it all out as they need a retest.

So actually not much in it numbers wise, though it does feel like there's more inertia or more calmed response to maneuvers in FC.

Having said all that. The store lists sea level speed at 220kph, so we're well down on that. Not to mention that 1918 Spads apparently had higher compression 220-235hp engines capable of 220kph at 2000m! (JM Bruce/ Memorial Flight)

Edited by US103_Baer

On 10/3/2018 at 8:53 AM, US103_Baer said:

To me the Spad feels like it has more momentum in FC, everything happens a bit slower. I was so sure it was slower that I went and did a bunch (lots of reps) of RoF v FC Spad tests.

Top speed at sea level:

RoF 213kph, FC 211kph

Level Accel 140-200: RoF 18.3s, FC 19.2s

Climb was actually better in FC but as the test maps were different from above I won't bother writing it all out as they need a retest.

So actually not much in it numbers wise, though it does feel like there's more inertia or more calmed response to maneuvers in FC.

Having said all that. The store lists sea level speed at 220kph, so we're well down on that. Not to mention that 1918 Spads apparently had higher compression 220-235hp engines capable of 220kph at 2000m! (JM Bruce/ Memorial Flight)

You need some consistent methodology to get reliable results. Do the tests at the same 15ºC and 760Mmhg (ICAO / ISA Standard Atmosphere) at 100m on both Channel and Kuban maps (so that you can do it at sea level, over the ocean). It should be the opposite of your results.

On the Channel map - you should get 214km/h on the ROF HUD at level flight. But you need to play with mixture. I don't think the speed will vary if you change the temperature and pressure, so anyone should get about 214km/h on ROF.

On the Kuban map - you should get 217km/h on the BOX HUD at level flight. The same above (play with mixture), but you will have different speeds depending on the maps, temperature (IIRC).

I also tested the Spad at 50m and it seems to get the same 214km/h on ROF.

So in fact you are gaining more speed on BOX engine, and the same happens with the Dr.1, proportionally if I recall correctly. The engine simulation of the atmosphere might be giving more traction to the propellers. In my view, the feeling that things are slower is the sound of the engine that at least on the Dr.1 is different on BOX, more subtle, the last time I checked. I also have this slower sense when flying the Dr.1 in BOX, but to me is related to the sound of the engine.

I'm yet to do some reliable climb tests, but so far I did not see anything out of the ordinary.

Edited by SeaW0lf

as I recall, the 235 HP SPAD was put in service in the fall of 1918. The 220 Hp version would be the standard one in april-may.

Performance figures vary. Aircraft profile cites a 1918 american test with a sea level speed of 131.5 mph/211 kmh, climb time to 6,500 feet: 6.5 mins, but a 1917 french test has a climb time of 4.4 mins to 2 km/6562 feet and speed of 215 kmh/133.5 mph at 2 km altitude. The ingame performance seems to be an average of all the tests.