Han

Game version 3.006 discussion: GFX update, numerous features and fixes

8 hours ago, SeaSerpent said:

I have a Buttkicker too, and it really adds immersion.  I can't live without it now.  Frankly, I think it would be cool if the developers added just an itsy bit more bass to effects such as the guns firing and also the stall buffett, and then it would be perfect.

Actually it would be awesome if the team would just allow the access to the data so that SimShaker and other motion software could actually be used. Been requested but always denied. Sad.

On 10/3/2018 at 12:40 AM, OrLoK said:

Im a feminist.

Do you get triggered at Hooters?  Or do you get something else?

Back OT I am also enjoying the patch - it always takes a little while to get used to new graphics, I thought the new fire was OTT at first but now I rather like it. The exhaust smoke is both

convincing and useful; it helps a fair bit in keeping up with a formation to see when the leader opens his throttle.

The only thing I am not that happy about is the implementation of the "water boiling".  The basic idea of this is fine, but in the case of the Spitfires, (at least) both the calculation of when it should happen and the graphical representation of the consequences are highly problematic.  Essentially one of the best high altitude fighters of the war, the Mk.IX, is now unusable in that role after this patch.

We get the same graphical representation for a coolant overheat as we do for a bullet through the radiator; but Spitfires like most (all?) planes had relief valve(s) that triggered to allow the escape of steam. These were not in the radiators.

The way in which the boiling point of the coolant drops in the BoX Spitfires is consistent with a very low level of pressurization. This is also almost certainly wrong. I say almost because although we have found documents for the Merlin powered Hurricane and the Merlin powered P-51 that show that the true pressure limit of their cooling systems was 30 psi over ambient, we have not yet found the same for the Merlin powered Spitfire.  However, all three of these have manuals that give almost identical temperature limits, none of which mention a reduction in limits with altitude, and all  of which are consistent with a 30 psi limit.  (More detail in the Spit Mk9 Post 3.006 Update thread for those who want it).

Anyway, bug reports have been made and emails sent, by people with more engineering credibility than me, so we shall have to wait and see what the developers say.

Oh, and maybe tone down the "dust" in FC? It looks as though someone is beating an old carpet.  I expect a modder can do that though, so not a priority.

• Upvote 1

Has anyone experienced extremely long down load time. At 4+ hours now still down loading.

Never mind LOL it just finished. It still took extremely long. could have been on my end.

Everything is perfect!!!!

But only one thing frame rate is unstable now.

(i7-7700k, 1080Ti, 16GB, BENQ XR 3501 144hz Monitor)

(I know because 144 hz monitor feel the frame rate more sensitively.)

So I want to play in Balance in Graphic option.

I really wish Balanced and High in Graphic option have same clouds quality.

Clouds In Balance Option (even Clouds Quality is High) are too low resolution now.

Please Let us choice Cloud Quality in any graphic option.

That is perfect for 144 hz Monitor user or VR user I think.

1 hour ago, Jens_Axis said:

Everything is perfect!!!!

But only one thing frame rate is unstable now.

(i7-7700k, 1080Ti, 16GB, BENQ XR 3501 144hz Monitor)

(I know because 144 hz monitor feel the frame rate more sensitively.)

So I want to play in Balance in Graphic option.

I really wish Balanced and High in Graphic option have same clouds quality.

Clouds In Balance Option (even Clouds Quality is High) are too low resolution now.

Please Let us choice Cloud Quality in any graphic option.

That is perfect for 144 hz Monitor user or VR user I think.

7 hours ago, bzc3lk said:

I knew about this. and I already did this MOD.

but this cannot be used in public server like Tactical Air War, Wings of Liberty, Berloga.

Cause this only can be used by MOD enable.

So separate clouds option is still useful IMO.

On 10/5/2018 at 7:52 AM, bzc3lk said:

I Wish this MOD would be put into the game its self so that we can fly on-line servers  . 

Talking about on-line . 

Still greyed out start button . !

Still gun bugs . !

No hit sounds what so ever this equals silent kills . ! 

Still poor visibility of air-frames too the background . 

Airframes disappear when near clouds . ?

Three years down the line more content coming out . 

So please lets fix these bugs ..its been going on a while now . !!!

Edited by II./JG77_Con
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 4

Just wanted to point out something amazing! So far I have been struggling with the mixture settings, nearly always let it on 100% (which is not very efficient to say the least fuel consumption wise) and now I just noticed, with the introduction of exhaust smoke being visible, If I adjust it, the heavy black smoke disappears when (I presume) I have the right setting for the mixture (no overburning fuel)! This is awesome! And yet an other small detail that lifts this sim so high up in my book !!! BIG thanks for the devs! Amazing stuff!

4 hours ago, Porkins said:

What button do I use to put trees on my plane? 

Ctrl+E puts trees on the pilot's face.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

26 minutes ago, Jade_Monkey said:

Ctrl+E puts trees on the pilot's face.

Well pilots face on the trews but anyhoo. 

Side note I think it is impossible to actually land on a tree.

funny thing happened to me the other night, I was on WOL and got hit by flak so I bailed out and when I landed my chute drifted into a tree and it knocked the tree over.

you can see the tree knocked over and just to the right you can see the chute lines.

and it made a crashing noise as it was falling over 

funny as all get out 

2018_10_14__2_32_23.jpg

• Haha 2

I think the game is telling you to have a few less rations every morning!

(that or your ground crew has it out for you!)

Edited by FarflungWanderer

On 10/18/2018 at 5:01 AM, Panp said:

funny thing happened to me the other night, I was on WOL and got hit by flak so I bailed out and when I landed my chute drifted into a tree and it knocked the tree over.

you can see the tree knocked over and just to the right you can see the chute lines.

and it made a crashing noise as it was falling over 

funny as all get out 

Well, you don't see that every day :DDD

I don't know very well what they have done with the damage model, but the wings of the red planes are made of paper, more than half of the times they have knocked me down it has been for the loss of a wing, even with very devile impacts they break. the iguas that the IL2 depth control, have taken them so much that now it is very difficult to survive an attack on the ground where there is a minimum antiaircraft defense.

Devs will need to amend pilot movement now when wearing oxygen mask. He won't be able to wipe his nose.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Gordon200 said:

Devs will need to amend pilot movement now when wearing oxygen mask. He won't be able to wipe his nose.

I think they need to completely bind the pilot to trackir head movement without the little programmed animations.... so a slight lean when checking six...  with limitation of course... don’t want the pilots head doing a 360...  

On 9/26/2018 at 4:20 PM, Han said:

Graphical effects improvements

@Han

-> Why propeller planes exhaust like jets now?

-> Create engine exhaust trails what can be seen far far away

-> Why the same plane type can hide his engine exhaust trails but his wingmen not................????????

Spoiler

20181103110408_1.thumb.jpg.d34ed8d6398e4ce2e8805f10894aa8eb.jpg20181103093622_1.thumb.jpg.bf0a6e8048b1be669f9c259f2098b0bd.jpg20181103094815_1.thumb.jpg.7e3012de0a6072f4d7cedfd210cdacb7.jpg

On 9/26/2018 at 4:20 PM, Han said:

Fw 190 A-8 modification: removal of two 13mm MG 131.

@Han

-> Removal Mg 131 - The housing is wrong and doesn't look like this one in the museum

-> Removal Mg 131 - Doesn't improve Engine Cooling

Spoiler

image.png.12515a83747843da3f347e9593c3d007.png

Edited by Livai

14 hours ago, Livai said:

It's been explained about a hundred times already.

12 hours ago, Livai said:

@Han

-> Why the same plane type can hide his engine exhaust trails but his wingmen not................????????

Hide contents

20181103110408_1.thumb.jpg.d34ed8d6398e4ce2e8805f10894aa8eb.jpg20181103093622_1.thumb.jpg.bf0a6e8048b1be669f9c259f2098b0bd.jpg20181103094815_1.thumb.jpg.7e3012de0a6072f4d7cedfd210cdacb7.jpg

@Han

-> Removal Mg 131 - The housing is wrong and doesn't look like this one in the museum

-> Removal Mg 131 - Doesn't improve Engine Cooling

Reveal hidden contents

image.png.12515a83747843da3f347e9593c3d007.png

I do not properly understand the pictures and what you are trying to show with them.  Surely at that height (2500 ft ish) you will not have a contrail with the apparent time of year either and perhaps it is just showing the new plumes with aircraft operating at full power, so that might explain the wing-man question and why some aircraft are showing the plume.  Yesterday on the server I watched as a Ju88 produced 2 white contrails low level on the deck and when I asked why, the player informed me that he forgot to do his cooling so as he opened the coolers the plumes appeared, something i thought was bloody marvelous showing), even if I'm not sure if it is 100% accurate.

Regards

PS.  If you believe the other things are wrong such as the Mg131 housing, try PMing Hans the info etc with a picture as the aircraft is still on early release so anything can be changed if required, I'm sure!

@LukeFF, does Han know about the difficult thermals of the A8? 

Do you consider the thermal model too hot, and have the testers reported it to Han? 

I don't think he is able to read the hundreds of PMs he's getting by the players. 😕

55 minutes ago, SCG_Fenris_Wolf said:

Do you consider the thermal model too hot, and have the testers reported it to Han? 

I don't think he is able to read the hundreds of PMs he's getting by the players. 😕

That is probably true - I expect he gets so many from people that do not know what they are taking about, and so many from people who may, but whose questions have already been answered, (although they do not like the answers), that he has no time for dealing with new and important issues such as why the Spitfire cooling system modelling is so laughably wrong.  The A8 may also be in this category for all I know.  

15 hours ago, SCG_Fenris_Wolf said:

The reports about the A-8 have been made by testers, yes. However, I don't know what the conclusion of Han and others is. That'll be up to them discuss, if they choose to. :) 

Edited by LukeFF
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Thank you for the response. Yes, both planes are still early access, hopefully they get fixed.  Let's hope for the best (or spam good old Jason! 😈 )

On ‎11‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 9:51 PM, Haza said:

I do not properly understand the pictures and what you are trying to show with them.  Surely at that height (2500 ft ish) you will not have a contrail with the apparent time of year either and perhaps it is just showing the new plumes with aircraft operating at full power, so that might explain the wing-man question and why some aircraft are showing the plume.  Yesterday on the server I watched as a Ju88 produced 2 white contrails low level on the deck and when I asked why, the player informed me that he forgot to do his cooling so as he opened the coolers the plumes appeared, something i thought was bloody marvelous showing), even if I'm not sure if it is 100% accurate.

Regards

PS.  If you believe the other things are wrong such as the Mg131 housing, try PMing Hans the info etc with a picture as the aircraft is still on early release so anything can be changed if required, I'm sure!

You can absolutely boil off coolant IRL as seen in the game, though some planes may have it implemented strangely . The other trails of exhaust are from planes using mixtures that are too rich for the altitude. Many planes on full boost leave these trails because excess fuel is used at those engine settings to keep the engine cool. This phenomenon is mentioned in a lot of WWII memoirs by pilots of the day...American pilots in particular mention seeing exhaust from the 109s when they ran at full power. If you see your plan doing this, try leaning the mixture until it goes away.

The AI seems to run too rich a lot more than necessary, so its visible a lot more.

These are new effects and mechanics...I expect some tweaks in the next update to be sure.

• Upvote 1